Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

This game has renewed my enjoyment in video games.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ALavaPenguin

I have played video games my whole life with a passion as I am sure most of you have. Last year or so though, I haven't felt it as much. I still played them and enjoyed them well enough, but I have felt kinda blah half the time. Been a very long series of games that honestly I just haven't had the drive to finish most of the time, and generally have a bit of fun at first but then kinda don't care after time moves on just a short bit. I guess a lot has to do with the types of games that have been made lately. I guess it has felt like about every other game has been the same game over and over again.

Then I played this game, and I have had my first true huge enjoyment in a long time in a game. This game has for the first time in a LONG time finally given me that moment where it is 5 PM and I don't realize it at all, but I look at the clock a second time, and it is suddenly 2 am, no exaggeration at all. This game has finally also given me that desire to want to do like every single thing possible in this game. I have spent most of my time doing side objectives, and the memorials, and upgrading weapons, and all that, and having a blast.

The combat just feels so fun, and it feels 100% skill based, like I see myself getting better and I have not reached the peak of my abilities in this game, but I see it achievable to do so. It is just a blast, and all the weapons feel significantly different and each an extreme pleasure to use. They all provide a different experience.

Bastion also does something that greatly surprises me. It is as if this game knows all the little things that just outright annoy me like mad in video games, and almost laugh in the face of those things. As if whoever made this game knows exactly all these annoying things that tend to happen in about every other video game, and then makes sure that it is not there, but kinda makes me feel like the game is saying "yeah, that junk annoys us too."

And on top of all this it finally has a very interesting story and presentation! So nice to not have a game with the EXACT same story as about every other game and then in addition present it in an amazing way. Half the games out there follow the exact same story points at one point or another. This game has a story that just makes me keep wanting to see more.

Not to mention the game is darn beautiful.

This game has just been a refreshing delight for me that I have not enjoyed in a long time. I haven't even finished it and I will probably play it quite a few more times [been ages since a game has given any desire for me to do that lol].

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I played through most of the demo and was kind of nonplussed by the experience. I really don't like the narrator, that's probably my biggest problem, but loading intervals and times seem a little excessive for what it is and the weapons I've had access to so far don't feel especially satisfying. The game does look really good, but for me that's about all it has going for it. I'm glad people are enjoying it, I usually really get into action RPGs, but for whatever reason this one is isn't clicking with me so far.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By galiant

Argh waiting for the PC version!! Can't get here soon enough!

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By JCTango
    @Krakn3Dfx said:

I played through most of the demo and was kind of nonplussed by the experience. I really don't like the narrator, that's probably my biggest problem, but loading intervals and times seem a little excessive for what it is and the weapons I've had access to so far don't feel especially satisfying. The game does look really good, but for me that's about all it has going for it. I'm glad people are enjoying it, I usually really get into action RPGs, but for whatever reason this one is isn't clicking with me so far.

Hmm... I wonder if the PC community will be able to mod the game and have a different voice actor doing the narration xD.... or even take it out completely and just have it subtitled.
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CaptainTightPants

Same here, I have been doing every single thing the game throws at you, I think this might be the first game I S rank actually.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By louiedog
    @Krakn3Dfx said:

You're the second person I've heard say that about that narration. The first was someone who played the demo and felt it didn't go with the fantasy setting. I got the feeling they went into it thinking it was a more traditional fantasy settings like D&D or even Torchlight, which it isn't. 

Looking at your user icon and seeing that you enjoy action RPGs, which are generally set in that more traditional fantasy setting, I'm curious to know if you feel that way about the narration for similar reasons. I ask because I've seen a ridiculous amount of praise for it from most people.
    Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Fisco

I completely agree with the idea of this game renewing enjoyment in games, it feels like it was created with such an amount of care and precision without all the usual corporate bs that gets shoved into games nowadays. Everything about it feels fresh and tight, it's a great ride.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8  Edited By natetodamax

@JCTango said:

@Krakn3Dfx said:

Hmm... I wonder if the PC community will be able to mod the game and have a different voice actor doing the narration xD.... or even take it out completely and just have it subtitled.

You would have to be literally insane to do any of those things.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By buft

i still really love games so this hasnt renewed my enjoyment by any stretch but it has been a source of amazement since i got it, the story, the challenge rooms and that song,the first time i heard it i was blown away, it was used to such a powerful effect.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JCTango
    @natetodamax said:

@JCTango said:

@Krakn3Dfx said:

Heh.  I wouldn't want to do it, myself - I kinda like the narrator - I was just proposing it as an idea to those that didn't like his voice is all.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Bass

@Resident4t said:

Same here, I have been doing every single thing the game throws at you, I think this might be the first game I S rank actually.

This will probably be my first S-rank as well. Except for the last secret achievement (since I don't know what it is, but I assume it is story based), I actually want to do all of the listed achievements.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By project343
    @Squabbler Same sort of genuine non-corporate bliss that (in my opinion) the Portal series has. Stellar, to say the least.
    blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blacklab

Just played a quick 1/2 hour at lunch. Hooked.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yorick

I thought it looked really interesting before I played the demo. I didn't really like anything about it besides the art style.
    jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jmfinamore

I've been the same way for a long time. It's been years since I played a game that really made me want to just do everything in it. I think this game with it's slightly old-school style will really appeal to me. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I'm not really enjoying it. The combat just isn't very good. There is no real skill involved except a constant mashing of the roll button; countering works but is hardly ever useful; the weapons are kind of boring and feel very weightless like they have no impact. The combat in later levels of Dungeon Siege 3 is far more enjoyable and skill-based than Bastion.

Oh, and I can't stand the narration.

GhosthH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GhosthH

I love the game personally, just my type of game. The combat is great, very responsive and I love the shield. The narration really grows on me the more I play it. XBLA has saved this generation for me. This is one of my favourite games this gen.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By Icemael
    @Yorick said:
    I thought it looked really interesting before I played the demo. I didn't really like anything about it besides the art style.
    I had a similar experience. Fairly interested, played the demo, lost every ounce of interest. The combat was mashy and tedious with zero oomph (hell, it was so weightless that when an enemy hit me, I didn't even notice until I checked my life-bar and saw that some health had been chipped off), the enemies were boring, and while the narrator would be great in a Western, he didn't fit the game's style at all.

I didn't even think it looked that nice. The individual assets were good (aside from the main character, who looked awful) but the way they were put together, the mediocre animation, the way everything just kind of unnaturally floated on top of a completely out-of-place background... it just looked cheap.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The beginning is not great and does not help the demo but once you get into Bastion it is a refreshing experience. Whoever compared it to portal is 100% right.

GhosthH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GhosthH

Lol, at people basing their impressions off a demo. This is an RPG. It gets better the more you play it and the combat just gets more and more fun. Buy the game and comment if you want to be taken seriously.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

@GhosthH said:

Lol, at people basing their impressions off a demo. This is an RPG. It gets better the more you play it and the combat just gets more and more fun. Buy the game and comment if you want to be taken seriously.

If they don't like the demo why would they buy the full version? The job of demo is to give you a taste and see if you want the full game. People posting their opinions on the demo is just that. An opinion on the demo.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Giantstalker

@GhosthH said:

If this is what passes for an RPG these days... what the hell happened to RPGs?!

Not saying it's a bad game, of course not, but I definitely wouldn't call this an RPG.

Granted, I only played the demo, but an RPG to me is Baldur's Gate. It's Final Fantasy. Oblivion and Fallout 3, maybe, although I consider them FPS.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By Icemael
    @GhosthH said:

Demos, for your information, exist precisely so that people can get an impression on which to base their purchasing decisions. That is literally their sole purpose. So explain how exactly the demo is a poor representation of the game (i.e. what things drastically change for the better and how) if you want to be taken seriously.
    GhosthH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GhosthH

There were some very negative comments though. I'd like to know what game like this has better combat, because I haven't played it. For a lot of games, the demo is representative of what to expect, this is not one of them. I wasn't sold initially either.

GhosthH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GhosthH
    @Icemael: Upgrading weapons and new moves, passive abilities, shrine, story begins to shine, many unique elements.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Played the demo; did not like the combat at all. I found shooting what I specifically wanted to to be a hassle as well as rolling around and the melee combat was no fun either. I didn't find the narration to be all that amazing, either. Sure, contextual narration is interesting but it's definitely not something I'd want to play the game to see more of.

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tomorrowman

For me it's a throwback to the days of the super nintendo, which is the golden age of gaming for me.  It seems the more you associate with the SNES days the more this appeals to you.  If you're younger and you're first system was the 64 or later, I could see this not having the same effect.  I'm not saying this in an elitest way, just my assumption.

pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pkhilson

Damn you all... I only have a PS3 and SORELY feel like I'm missing out on something amazing. 

As for the comment on the creators not including all the things in games that are typically annoying, give credit to Greg Kassavin. He's reviewed countless games in the past and happens to have great taste in them as well. I was expecting nothing less coming from his mind.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#29  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I just beat the game once, and right away started it again. After a few hours with it I realized it reminded me of Deadwood. Yeah, you heard me. Games are a lot like TV shows. There are a lot of them, most of them are decent, a lot suck really hard and some are really great. But once in a while you get one show or game that just stands out, which gives you this feeling that you witness something far beyond the rest of the "rabble". Bastion is such a game for me, just as Deadwood was such a show. Plus, some of the music really reminds me of Deadwood. Damn, the music is great in this game. Everything is great!

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By haggis
    @JCTango said:
    @natetodamax said:

@JCTango said:

@Krakn3Dfx said:

Heh.  I wouldn't want to do it, myself - I kinda like the narrator - I was just proposing it as an idea to those that didn't like his voice is all.
    You were talking PC gamers, of course, so you never know. No matter how crazy a mod might be or how much time it might take, there is likely to be at least one PC gamer willing to do it. That's just how they are :)
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By Cincaid

Definatly my pick for GOTY for downloadable games so far. It's just amazing, my favorite moment so far is when you find "the Singer".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.