yuen_biao_'s Bastion (PC) review

• yuen_biao_ wrote this review on .

A simple game, gloriously presented

It's easy to become especially charmed by Bastion. The developers are seemingly familiar with how to craft a world with intrigue, Logan Cunningham (the narrator), Darren Korb (the composer) and the artists who poured liquid bliss into my eyeballs are the highlights of the game. Players will be mystified, because these things are not exactly new things in games, yet at the same time - they are. At least in this way. This use of narration, exceptional soundtrack and art are the things that hold the game together. For if it were not for these, the game would have no point. The story would be loose and unappealing at best. The gameplay would be shown for what it is - mindless and repetitive. And the most devastating thing is that the game simply would be a chore to play. So it's a useful thing to have a studio that knows how to put the pieces together. They mask these things. It is with this that I recommend Bastion, but with a caveat - knowing that the entire package has been gift wrapped so well and it's so exciting to uncover, that you won't mind what's truly inside it.