After Completing the Game, I've Concluded That... (SPOILER FREE)

#1 Posted by JoblessTerence (349 posts) -

Mark Hamill Joker > Heath Ledger Joker

The reason why I believe this is because Hamill's joker is a mixture of Ledger, Romero, and Nicholson.  He has Nicholson's humor, Romero's craziness, and Ledger's cynicism.

What about you?

#2 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

I agree. Even though I grew up with various Jokers in the role, Hamill is who I think of when the name Joker comes up. 
Plus I'm not a fan of Ledger's Joker to begin with.

#3 Posted by Delta_Ass (3230 posts) -

Nah, Mark Hamill Joker's not very threatening.    

#4 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

Ledger's Joker (while great) was vastly over hyped due to his untimely death. If he was alive when the movie released, it would have been viewed as a very average Joker.

#5 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

Mark Hamil portrays the threateningly whimsical Joker to a tea. He's just as happy to sit back and crack jokes as he is to threaten to break a henchmen's wife's legs.

Heath Ledger's Joker on the other hand was the straight up homicidal psychopath who just happens to dress like a clown.

Both of these have been representations in the comics but I have to say that I am personally much more fond of the former than the latter. That being said Heath Ledger made his Joker really come to life so I think he deserves the praise he got.

#6 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

I think Heath played the Joker like he suppose to be., a maniacal, psychotic, unpredictable, cold blooded killer. As a long time Batman comic fan I say without a shadow of a doubt that Heath's performance was exactly how the Joker should be. Just go and read The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth, The Long Halloween. Hamill on the other hand captured the voice and spirit of Joker very good though I doubt he can play Joker very well. 

#7 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

I like them both, they are each going in a different direction.

#8 Edited by Hamst3r (4342 posts) -

Mark Hamill's Joker is the real Joker. The voice is perfect.

Also:

#9 Posted by JukeboxJoe (242 posts) -

On screen, I would say that Heath's Joker is probably my favorite. But I love the Joker in AA, and whenever I read the comics it's always Hamil's voice I hear
#10 Posted by NickNorman (435 posts) -
@CenturionCajun said:
" Mark Hamil portrays the threateningly whimsical Joker to a tea. He's just as happy to sit back and crack jokes as he is to threaten to break a henchmen's wife's legs.  Heath Ledger's Joker on the other hand was the straight up homicidal psychopath who just happens to dress like a clown.  Both of these have been representations in the comics but I have to say that I am personally much more fond of the former than the latter. That being said Heath Ledger made his Joker really come to life so I think he deserves the praise he got. "
I totally agree, and I enjoy both. Hamill's Joker is genuinely funny, and a few lines in the game really made me chuckle. Hedger played a lot more to the psychotic and violent nature of the Joker, even though he made a few jokes.
#11 Posted by Anarchist4Eva (86 posts) -

They both are playing to a different audience on the whole. I don't think Hamill's Joker would work in the movies & vice versa.

#12 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I like Mark Hamill's joker better then Heath Ledger's, while Heath Ledger gave a great performance as a the joker I like the insane, clown prince of crime but also violent joker of the game way better 
BTW, I would love to see Harley Quinn in the next Batman movie. That would be rad

#13 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6984 posts) -

Both Jokers are amazing, but the Joker in Arkham Asylum and the Joker in the Dark Knight are two different personalities...at least in the way they are written.

#14 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

What if you get heath ledger's appearance and acting with mark hamill's voice? That would be perfect.

#15 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:
" Nah, Mark Hamill Joker's not very threatening.     "
Someone obviously never saw Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker...and that would also mean you don't know what he did to Robin. 

***SPOILERS FOR THE DC ANIMATED UNIVERSE*** 

#16 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11001 posts) -

I think that Ledger's Joker makes far more sense in Christopher Nolan's universe, where a murderous psychopath would fit far more than a clown. However, Hamill's Joker is who I associate with the character, and he fits in far more in the cartoon format.

#17 Posted by Delta_Ass (3230 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

" @Delta_Ass said:

Someone obviously never saw Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker...and that would also mean you don't know what he did to Robin. 

Well, yea. True.

Cause Batman Beyond was awful.
#18 Posted by RipTheVeins (1540 posts) -
@JukeboxJoe said:
" On screen, I would say that Heath's Joker is probably my favorite. But I love the Joker in AA, and whenever I read the comics it's always Hamil's voice I hear "
this is my exact opinion to a tee.
#19 Posted by alexl86 (619 posts) -

I thought of this Joker as the Joker in the animated series, only he's allowed to kill people now. The only real difference is that the animated series Joker gets angrier, this one is just really excited all the time. He's definitely more homicidal though.

#20 Posted by HistoryInRust (6215 posts) -
@CenturionCajun said:
"Mark Hamil portrays the threateningly whimsical Joker to a tea. He's just as happy to sit back and crack jokes as he is to threaten to break a henchmen's wife's legs.  Heath Ledger's Joker on the other hand was the straight up homicidal psychopath who just happens to dress like a clown.  Both of these have been representations in the comics but I have to say that I am personally much more fond of the former than the latter. That being said Heath Ledger made his Joker really come to life so I think he deserves the praise he got. "

To take this comment a liitle further:  

Both manifestations of the Joker--that is, Hamill's "Clown Prince" and Ledger's nihilistic jester--exist in the Batman continuum. And so it's a little hard, for me at least, to say one is objectively better than the other.  

What I think is necessary is an observation of the context in which the Joker exists in each case. Obviously, a campy, cartoonish Joker isn't going to work in the gritty, minimalist world of Christopher Nolan's Batman. Conversely, the oppressive and devastating Joker isn't going to fit into the world of the Animated Series (not counting the fact that it's a children's show, which is a given).  

Both Jokers are memorable and paramount, really, in their respective Rogues Galleries. And, really, both versions have more subtleties than they are praised for, I'd say.
#21 Posted by JukeboxJoe (242 posts) -
@RipTheVeins said:
" @JukeboxJoe said:
" On screen, I would say that Heath's Joker is probably my favorite. But I love the Joker in AA, and whenever I read the comics it's always Hamil's voice I hear "
this is my exact opinion to a tee. "

Go team!
#22 Posted by Driadon (2990 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" I think Heath played the Joker like he suppose to be., a maniacal, psychotic, unpredictable, cold blooded killer. As a long time Batman comic fan I say without a shadow of a doubt that Heath's performance was exactly how the Joker should be. Just go and read The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth, The Long Halloween. Hamill on the other hand captured the voice and spirit of Joker very good though I doubt he can play Joker very well.  "
This. Though I have not read many of the comics, I really have to say the few that I have really scream Heath's Joker.
#23 Edited by mattysen (821 posts) -

Ledger evolved the whole "The Joker Is Scary" thing. But at the end of the day Mark Hamil IS The Joker!

#24 Posted by Jimbo (9708 posts) -

Heath Ledger would have made a shit Luke Skywalker.  He'd probably make a pretty decent fertilizer though.

#25 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4874 posts) -

You mean Mark Hamill's voice > Heath Ledger's acting...

#26 Posted by Pinkshley1 (453 posts) -

I think Mark Hamills joker better suits games and animated features and Ledgers joker better suits live action movies. Mark Hamills style of joker would be hard to believe with a real person, but Ledgers was perfect. But in a game, Ledgers dark, cynical joker would make the game too serious.

#27 Posted by EdIsCool (1122 posts) -

I hate Mark Hamill's joker..there I said it I feel better now.
I like the Killing Joke etc portrayal of him. Even though Hamill's is closer to  the majority of the comics.

#28 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Nicholson's Joker is the only one that drove Batman to murdering him. But maybe that says more about Keaton's Batman.

#29 Edited by TheLegendofLuke (563 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok:

I'd have to agree with what you've said and add that they both have different versions of the Batman in their part of the story. In TDK Batman has no idea how to deal with him and is a lot younger and more impulsive than the Batman of the animated series who seems to be slightly wiser, older and forward-planning (IMO).
#30 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:
" @jakob187 said:

" @Delta_Ass said:

Well, yea. True.  Cause Batman Beyond was awful. "
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  DETENTION FOR YOU!!!
#31 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -
@choffy21 said:
" Ledger's Joker (while great) was vastly over hyped due to his untimely death. If he was alive when the movie released, it would have been viewed as a very average Joker. "
Foolish words.

The movie was in post-production when he died.There was already a huge amount of buzz surrounding his portrayal during the shoot and at early screenings of snippets of the movie.The Academy and critics rarely acknowledge comic book movies and are also rarely affected by sentiment.Heath deserves every bit of praise he gets, alive or dead.
#32 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -
@ChickenPants said:
" @choffy21 said:
" Ledger's Joker (while great) was vastly over hyped due to his untimely death. If he was alive when the movie released, it would have been viewed as a very average Joker. "
Foolish words.  The movie was in post-production when he died.There was already a huge amount of buzz surrounding his portrayal during the shoot and at early screenings of snippets of the movie.The Academy and critics rarely acknowledge comic book movies and are also rarely affected by sentiment.Heath deserves every bit of praise he gets, alive or dead. "
If continuously licking your lips wins you an Oscar, then I should enter the acting industry.
#33 Posted by mark2000 (111 posts) -

I just don't see the point of comparing Mark Hamill with Heath Ledger. I grew up watching Batman:TAS so I'm more used to Hamill's Joker but I honestly don't think something like that would mix well with the Nolan films.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.