Batman Arkham Asylum and Giantbomb

• 51 results
#1 Edited by MikeFightNight (1114 posts) -

OK first of all I want you all to get where i'm coming from.  I woke up this Sunday and played Batman Arkham Asylum pretty much until the sun went down,  So it's safe to say I am really enjoying this game,.  I also grew up on the Batman Animated Series if that makes a difference.

After listening to the last bombcast and reading Jeffs latest post on the topic of  achivements, I can sense some unfounded hate for this game, which seems pretty crazy to me.  It's like some people are so used to seeing licensed superhero and movie games be either crap or mediocre, that when they see hype behind a game they just immediatley want to write it off.  

The fact that this game came out in the "Bioshock" spot only helps it, but I feel that even if it came out in a rush of games the quality that was put into it would still make it stand out,  Maybe that is an overstatement because it would be an unkown property among a sea of sharks like COD and HALO. 

What i'm trying to get at is this fucking game is top quality goddamnit and if Ryan gets on the podcast and shits on the entire game because of some dumb ass nit piicky thing thats wrong with it, it will be a fucking shame. Anyway i'm talking like I made the game or something, sorry if I am coming off as an over zealous dick, but you gotta give respect where it is due.  What does the community think?   

EDIT 
After a good nights sleep and then coming back to this thread and seeing what it has divulged into I would just like to say i'm sorry.  Bottom line is everyone has an opinion and sometimes those opinions clash.  The End. 

Peace    

#2 Posted by Creamypies (4075 posts) -

I totally agree with you about the games quality. I'll wait and see about Giant Bombs hate for it when I see the review for it.

#3 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6997 posts) -

.....the review isn't even out yet so how do you know how they think about the actual game itself yet?

#4 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -

YEah, most people did not like the demo but LOVED the game. Let's just wait for the review and see if Ryan chows down on some crow.

#5 Posted by Chaser324 (6649 posts) -

There is definitely an undercurrent of animosity in everything the GB crew has said so far, but none of that was based on any significant play time. Just wait for the review and/or next week's bombcast before jumping to conclusions.

#6 Edited by Milkman (17007 posts) -

Cool story, bro.

Quite frankly I'm tired of people like you whining about Ryan's comments about Batman on the Bombcast. He made those comments before he had even played the game and they were simply his "pre-playing" thoughts. And he has every right to have them even if you or me don't agree with them. Second, I doubt Ryan has even played the game yet considering that he has been moving this entire weekend and has most likely had no time for games. But if he has played it and does go on the Bombcast and says he doesn't like it, it won't be a fucking shame. The only fucking shame will be the fact some people can't realize that people are going to have different opinions then them. 

Why don't we all just wait for the review and stop posting about this every goddamn day?

EDIT: For the record, this isn't all directed at the OP. This is more of general statement about the community's reaction to Ryan's comments.

#7 Edited by MikeFightNight (1114 posts) -

Hey Milkman I didn't say he can't have an opinion dude.  That is why I started this topic so I could have my OWN opinion. And yes it would be a shame, becasue there is a difference between an opinion and reality.
#8 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

I think it's a fucking shame that it's been 5 days since the game's release and there's still no review. Most gaming sites have their reviews out before the game's even released.

#9 Edited by Karmum (11519 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:

" I think it's a fucking shame that it's been 5 days since the game's release and there's still no review. Most gaming sites have their reviews out before the game's even released. "

Although I'm aware they received review copies, sometimes they have to buy the game on release date (see MGS4). It takes a few days after that to get a review out. Chill out guys, besides, Ryan is moving houses, which is obviously occupying his time. Cut them some slack, have you had to go through the process of playing a game and then reviewing it? It takes time guys, coming from someone who does it on a part-time basis.

Cut them some slack, it'll be out soon enough. I honestly think the community as a whole (nobody specifically) complains too much about stuff like this, and take what they do for granite.
#10 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -

Ryan has been pretty busy with the move, maybe he should have passed it on to someone else. BUT, maybe he really wants to review it. If you are on the fence about getting it and Ryan's ULTIMATE review is what is keeping you from getting it (and I know the OP already has it) then just go get it, it's awesome. And if it is not 100% awesome, the sequel could be, so go support ROCKSTEADY!

#11 Posted by Milkman (17007 posts) -
@MikeFightNight said:
" Hey Milkman I didn't say he can't have an opinion dude.  That is why I started this topic so I could have my OWN opinion. And yes it would be a shame, becasue there is a difference between an opinion and reality. "
You say that you are just stating your opinion and then say that there is a difference between opinion and reality. So, in reality, no one can dislike Batman? That kinda sounds like you are saying that he can't have an opinion.

I might I add once again that we don't even know if Ryan is going to dislike Batman. This is all dumb speculation after he simply said the game was overhyped.
#12 Posted by Milkman (17007 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:
" I think it's a fucking shame that it's been 5 days since the game's release and there's still no review. Most gaming sites have their reviews out before the game's even released. "
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you are already playing and enjoying Batman. If so, then why the hell do you need to see Ryan's review?
#13 Posted by MikeFightNight (1114 posts) -

@ MIlkman I know I know i'm probably overreacting. All bullshit aside, this is an awesome game. 

#14 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you are already playing and enjoying Batman. If so, then why the hell do you need to see Ryan's review? "
You would be going out on a limb.

And you'd be wrong.
#15 Posted by Milkman (17007 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:
" @Milkman said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you are already playing and enjoying Batman. If so, then why the hell do you need to see Ryan's review? "
You would be going out on a limb.  And you'd be wrong. "
Okay, then go to the other gaming sites that have the reviews already? Rent it? Use the user reviews on the site? You have plenty of options here. The site probably should have the review by now. I'm not going to deny that. But them being late on one review isn't the end of the world.
#16 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
" @Milkman said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
You would be going out on a limb.  And you'd be wrong. "
Okay, then go to the other gaming sites that have the reviews already? Rent it? Use the user reviews on the site? You have plenty of options here. The site probably should have the review by now. I'm not going to deny that. But them being late on one review isn't the end of the world. "
I'm pretty sure most people who wanted the game already have it, and were not waiting for the reviews for it. The people on the fence about it probably have read enough views to make their own assessment, and I don't think all of the people on the fence in the world are on Giant Bomb. Besides, many of us check out reviews aside from the ones here. I think some people are just impatient.
#17 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

The review better be well written. That's all I know. In some ways, I would love the drama of a... wait for it... THREE STARS! Nah, just kidding.

#18 Posted by MikeFightNight (1114 posts) -

Dudes calm down can't we  just all get along and go play some Batman Arkham Asylum.
#19 Posted by Milkman (17007 posts) -
@MikeFightNight said:
" Dudes calm down can't we  just all get along and go play some Batman Arkham Asylum. "
You started it.
#20 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

I dont hate it, but it seriously makes me mad people keep comparing it to Bioshock. I've played it, its not even CLOSE to being as good a Bioshock.
#21 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:

" I dont hate it, but it seriously makes me mad people keep comparing it to Bioshock. I've played it, its not even CLOSE to being as good a Bioshock. "

I've had more fun playing Batman then I did playing Bioshock. It's called an opinion.
#22 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Well, then you're just crazy.

#23 Posted by Nomin (978 posts) -

Well the PC version is out in the first or second week of September, so I'd still be interested in the game, especially considering it was written by the Batman animated series writer and supported by original voice cast.
#24 Posted by StarwindX9 (145 posts) -

There is no accounting for taste. You typically have to take the reviews (and comments) here with a grain of salt. I wouldn't say the staff is biased at all, but they all have their favourite games and genres, that along with the laid back style of how this website operates leads to very blunt reviews (good or bad). I felt really bad when they were talking crap about The World Ends With You (my personal favorite game in years) but they had valid complaints, not to mention no one of the staff is really into RPGs so I get it. Don't get upset, not everyone is going to like the same games you do. There are plenty of positive reviews for Batman, so enjoy.

#25 Posted by CoverlessTech (747 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" I dont hate it, but it seriously makes me mad people keep comparing it to Bioshock. I've played it, its not even CLOSE to being as good a Bioshock. "
By "Bioshock spot" I think he meant that it came out before all the other big holiday titles. 

I personally don't get the 9+ review scores it's getting. It's good but not that good. I can't see it getting a 5 here. Plus this is Edios (you know, Kane and Lynch, Jeff), so the guys probably have a little more then a little angst built up toward it.
#26 Edited by DanielJW (4915 posts) -
@Milkman said:

" Cool story, bro.  Quite frankly I'm tired of people like you whining about Ryan's comments about Batman on the Bombcast. He made those comments before he had even played the game and they were simply his "pre-playing" thoughts. And he has every right to have them even if you or me don't agree with them. Second, I doubt Ryan has even played the game yet considering that he has been moving this entire weekend and has most likely had no time for games. But if he has played it and does go on the Bombcast and says he doesn't like it, it won't be a fucking shame. The only fucking shame will be the fact some people can't realize that people are going to have different opinions then them.   Why don't we all just wait for the review and stop posting about this every goddamn day?  EDIT: For the record, this isn't all directed at the OP. This is more of general statement about the community's reaction to Ryan's comments. "

Truth, I can not stress how much this is true. Well said. 

And why would anyone even care? If Ryan gave this game one star, why would it matter to you? You've played the game and enjoyed it so why the hell would you care if Ryan didn't like it.
#27 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -
@CoverlessTech said:
" @Whisperkill said:
By "Bioshock spot" I think he meant that it came out before all the other big holiday titles. 

I personally don't get the 9+ review scores it's getting. It's good but not that good. I can't see it getting a 5 here. Plus this is Edios (you know, Kane and Lynch, Jeff), so the guys probably have a little more then a little angst built up toward it. "
On the contrary, I think we should all love, praise, and thank Eidos, for without them this glorious website may very well not exist.
#28 Posted by CoverlessTech (747 posts) -
@punkxblaze said:
" @CoverlessTech said:
" @Whisperkill said:

I personally don't get the 9+ review scores it's getting. It's good but not that good. I can't see it getting a 5 here. Plus this is Edios (you know, Kane and Lynch, Jeff), so the guys probably have a little more then a little angst built up toward it. "
On the contrary, I think we should all love, praise, and thank Eidos, for without them this glorious website may very well not exist. "
Well all the guys here use to work there and it was pretty cool before the all left. They also had a larger editing staff so they put out more content. Don't get me wrong, I love the site, I just wish the guys had more time to put more content up.  I'm sure making a video here takes way more of their time then it did there.
#29 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -
@CoverlessTech said:
" @punkxblaze said:
" @CoverlessTech said:
" @Whisperkill said:

On the contrary, I think we should all love, praise, and thank Eidos, for without them this glorious website may very well not exist. "
Well all the guys here use to work there and it was pretty cool before the all left. They also had a larger editing staff so they put out more content. Don't get me wrong, I love the site, I just wish the guys had more time to put more content up.  I'm sure making a video here takes way more of their time then it did there. "
This is all true. I was more being an ass than anything, I apologise.
#30 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

I'm sure the review will be out soon. The game is sweet, Ryan will probaly like it.

#31 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Wow. Sounds like a lot of hate going around about no review and other peoples opinions.

Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But, that doesn't mean you get to talk shit on someone elses opinion. Ryan has his opinion, you have yours, lets just leave it at that.

Now as far as the review goes it does suck that there's no review. I hate to say it GiantBomb but people will leave to somewhere that has reviews sooner. I understand that this site is not all about reviews. However, thats what most gamers look for in a gaming site. I'm not saying this site is crap. They have quiet a few unique things to them, but if they can't get reviews up before other sites then they can start to lose people.

So thats just my opinion. If you are going to talk shit on it then I suggest sending me a PM and not posting it on here. It would just be gay.

#32 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" Wow. Sounds like a lot of hate going around about no review and other peoples opinions.  Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But, that doesn't mean you get to talk shit on someone elses opinion. Ryan has his opinion, you have yours, lets just leave it at that.  Now as far as the review goes it does suck that there's no review. I hate to say it GiantBomb but people will leave to somewhere that has reviews sooner. I understand that this site is not all about reviews. However, thats what most gamers look for in a gaming site. I'm not saying this site is crap. They have quiet a few unique things to them, but if they can't get reviews up before other sites then they can start to lose people.  So thats just my opinion. If you are going to talk shit on it then I suggest sending me a PM and not posting it on here. It would just be gay. "
Man what?! 

People leave because their engine is running and they have to turn it off, not because of late reviews! Right? Right?!  ....meh, I got nothing. Valid point.
#33 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I have to say, I'm having this same arguement with my friend. He's been playing the demo over and over again and thinks it's awesome. I played the demo, and really I feel like I can't form a definitive opinion. A lot of things in the demo impressed me. The graphics are tight, voicework is top notch, and I like some of the systems in the game, like detective mode and being able to see a persons heart rate. But, there are also parts that bother me. Characters look stiff, their faces seem to animate strange, and the way batman walks around doesn't seem right. At this point I feel I need to play more of the game, and I'll leave it at that.

#34 Posted by DrLove (359 posts) -

From Jeff's twitter 

JEFFGERSTMANN: Batman seems really cool. I like how methodically paced it is. Much cooler than if it had just been punchin', though I do like the combat.      

#35 Posted by Hiro_of_Time (5 posts) -

Didn't Jeff leaving GS all start with EIDOS in the first place? And don't EIDOS publish Batman? Is it possible that GIANT BOMB don't want to help promote any EIDOS products considering the crap that went down?

#36 Edited by Yoshiya (38 posts) -
@Hiro_of_Time:   Eidos don't even exist as an independant publisher anymore.  If the GB staff limited their AA coverage because of that (which I don't think is the case) it would appear as extremely immature and below the standard of competing sites.  Even if the staff were reluctant due to the events surrounding Jeff's departure from Gamespot, they'd realise that AA has enough hype around it, from both consumers and press, that it can't be ignored.
#37 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Hiro_of_Time said:
" Didn't Jeff leaving GS all start with EIDOS in the first place? And don't EIDOS publish Batman? Is it possible that GIANT BOMB don't want to help promote any EIDOS products considering the crap that went down? "
First of all I'm not gonna go by what rumors were said but what I heard from Jeff and GS. They said it was him leaving on a mutual agreement. Not because advertisers got pissed over a review. Second, there's other reviewers besides Jeff. Just because Jeff went through that experience doesn't mean that everyone else has to suffer.
#38 Posted by MikeFightNight (1114 posts) -

After a good nights sleep and then coming back to this thread and seeing what it has divulged into I would just like to say i'm sorry.  Bottom line is everyone has an opinion and sometimes those opinions clash.  The End. 

Peace
#39 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

And when did you (13696) do the market research for what ppl want out of any given website anyway? Reviews? Some of the most popular gaming blogs nowadays are doing even less reviews or less consistent than Giant Bomb, like Destructoid or Kotaku for example. Just saying.

#40 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Man, I forgot how generally hostile the forums have become. Everyone take a god damn chill pill. The review will be out the soon enough. The game looks great. The end.

#41 Posted by ErgoProxy77 (550 posts) -
@MikeFightNight: I totally agree with you.  It is a fantastic game and I think it deserves some recognition. 
#42 Posted by DrLove (359 posts) -

all say again 

From Jeff's twitter 

JEFFGERSTMANN: Batman seems really cool. I like how methodically paced it is. Much cooler than if it had just been punchin', though I do like the combat.      

#43 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

This is such an anticipated game of which they know will be widely covered by all other sites. 
Maybe they want to focus and elaborate a little more on the 'Supposititious Child'-games that are out there. 
Just some hypothetical harangue.
#44 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

you see this is when being a fanboy is just sad. you are getting all offended by negative remarks about the game (seriously they didnt hate on it like you think either). they havent reviewed it yet and yet you're all up in arms over what jeff said in his podcast or achievements update. relax dude, stop playing this game all day long. being way too defensive. 

#45 Posted by Xander (137 posts) -

No mention of a Batman:AA review on I Love Mondays... :/

#46 Posted by PJ (1146 posts) -
@MikeFightNight: That kinda pissed me of too. Mostly because I belive that they are not oblivious to other websites that have given the game such high scores so that should tip them of that this isnt just a run of the mill licenced game. IMO Batman Arkham Asylum is the best game out this year and is better then most that came out last year. I really hope that Ryan will see after playing this game that its not just another Batman game and give it its well deserved prais.
#47 Posted by Anarchist4Eva (86 posts) -

I caught a very different take from the Bombcast. They talked about this being the "Bioshock" window & how if had came out at a different time they might have overlooked it entirely. Maybe the same thing would have happened to Bioshock?  

#48 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

Can you blame them for thinking the game was going to be shit? Iron Man, Spiderman, Superman, and X-men games pretty much made everyone hate super-hero games.  

#49 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

I think the guys will come around. Batman: AA is an awesome game. I can't wait to hear the podcast tomorrow.

#50 Posted by Chaser324 (6649 posts) -

You guys really shouldn't get so caught up on what the crew thinks about the game. They'll get a review out as soon as they possibly can, but with PAX this week, it may be a while. If you want to get a feel for how top-notch this game is, just check out the user reviews.

Also, Jeff's twitter comments seem to indicate that he's coming around on the game, so some of that initial hesitancy (which was perfectly justified) might be leaving them after playing it. Don't worry guys, this game is indeed good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.