Batman: Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition? 100 Bucks.

Posted by Jeff (3627 posts) -
If someone handed me a batarang, I would immediately throw it at something.
One of the things we'll cover in the upcoming episodes of GameTrailers' Bonus Round--which I taped during GDC--is game prices and how the recession will affect them. Wedbush Morgan's SuperAnalyst, Michael Pachter, stated that he thinks game prices are going to go up in the future... but he isn't necessarily talking about the base price of a game. He's mostly referring to the notion of collector's edition releases, which have only been on the rise lately, and appear to be getting crazier and crazier, both in price and in content. The sale of these bonus packs is what Pachter thinks will keep the average sale price on the rise. After thinking about the $79.99 I paid for the Street Fighter IV box and wincing a little bit, I think he's probably right.

So I winced again when I spotted a quick update on Joystiq today concerning the collector's edition for Eidos' upcoming Batman game, Batman: Arkham Asylum. GameStop is currently taking orders for this June 9 release's collector's bundle for a smooth price of $99.99. That's $40 over the standard list price for you math minors out there. But, from the look of what you'll get for that extra cash, it might actually be worth it.

Here's what will be included in the CE:

• Waynetech Batarang Storage Box
  • 14” In-Game Design Batarang (stand attached)
  • Dr Young’s Journal (50 page full color character encyclopedia)
  • The Game
  • Behind the Scenes DVD (features interviews with Mark Hammil and Kevin Conroy)
  • Exclusive Collector’s Edition Challenge Map DLC
  • Manual

Yes, you read it here first... the collector's edition WILL come with the game... and the manual. Whew!

I'm not really a huge Batman fan, and I'm not a huge fan of spending $100 on a game... but I have to admit, the batarang looks totally choice.
#1 Posted by Jeff (3627 posts) -
If someone handed me a batarang, I would immediately throw it at something.
One of the things we'll cover in the upcoming episodes of GameTrailers' Bonus Round--which I taped during GDC--is game prices and how the recession will affect them. Wedbush Morgan's SuperAnalyst, Michael Pachter, stated that he thinks game prices are going to go up in the future... but he isn't necessarily talking about the base price of a game. He's mostly referring to the notion of collector's edition releases, which have only been on the rise lately, and appear to be getting crazier and crazier, both in price and in content. The sale of these bonus packs is what Pachter thinks will keep the average sale price on the rise. After thinking about the $79.99 I paid for the Street Fighter IV box and wincing a little bit, I think he's probably right.

So I winced again when I spotted a quick update on Joystiq today concerning the collector's edition for Eidos' upcoming Batman game, Batman: Arkham Asylum. GameStop is currently taking orders for this June 9 release's collector's bundle for a smooth price of $99.99. That's $40 over the standard list price for you math minors out there. But, from the look of what you'll get for that extra cash, it might actually be worth it.

Here's what will be included in the CE:

• Waynetech Batarang Storage Box
  • 14” In-Game Design Batarang (stand attached)
  • Dr Young’s Journal (50 page full color character encyclopedia)
  • The Game
  • Behind the Scenes DVD (features interviews with Mark Hammil and Kevin Conroy)
  • Exclusive Collector’s Edition Challenge Map DLC
  • Manual

Yes, you read it here first... the collector's edition WILL come with the game... and the manual. Whew!

I'm not really a huge Batman fan, and I'm not a huge fan of spending $100 on a game... but I have to admit, the batarang looks totally choice.
#2 Posted by Meltbrain (2975 posts) -

That's pretty damn pricey... mind you, with the kind of rabid fanbase for Batman as a character and the whole collector mentality tied to comic books in general I think there will be a core of mad fans who will be happy to splash out for this. Personally, I'll probably pick the game up if it's good but it would have to be pretty damn good for me to consider getting that.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

I think I just pooped my pants.

#4 Posted by JunkanooPunch (93 posts) -

Thats alot of cheese for a Batarang thats not even really throw able :(

#5 Posted by DondonIcon (114 posts) -

Robin! To the RIPOFF-mobile!

#6 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

$100, not even including tax?  That is wrong. 

#7 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

DUDE YES!......now if only UK retailers / sellers had this instock now for me to pre-order. I can't find a single UK outlet selling the CE of this game. Shocked I am, shocked!

#8 Posted by Seijur0 (104 posts) -

When you say it comes with "The Game", are you referring to the rapper, the movie, or the TV show? Hmmm.

#9 Posted by Bigdonkey1 (42 posts) -

BUY!

MUST!

NEED MORE BATMAN CRAP AROUND MY HOUSE!

#10 Posted by LiquidPrince (16020 posts) -

I want that Batarang.

#11 Posted by Bulby33 (599 posts) -

Wait, people actually buy this garbage?

#12 Posted by Mjolnir (456 posts) -

Batarang = Totally Worth It

#13 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I agree. Batarang.

#14 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

I don't have $100 to spend on one game

#15 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
dsplayer1010 said:
"I don't have $100 to spend on one game"
But do you have 100 dollars to spend on a batarang?
#16 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

Some scrap dvd footage, a batarang that has a stupid stand attached too it and a picture book are not worth 40 bucks.

#17 Edited by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

I would pay 100 bucks for a Dark Knight dvd set with a director's commentary.

I would not pay 100 bucks for this.

PS: Feel free to toss that batarang at friends and well-wishers, gents. Everybody knows Batman only uses non-lethal tools.

#18 Posted by TravisT (160 posts) -

Looking forward to the Episode. There is a lot of stuff included in the Collector's Edition, but it definitely isn't worth the $100 bucks. They will be disappointed at the amount of people that buy that edition.

#19 Posted by kennybaese (671 posts) -

I think I just decided to go to place my pre-order.

#20 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

The Game

Behind the Scenes DVD (features interviews with Mark Hammil and Kevin Conroy)

Exclusive Collector’s Edition Challenge Map DLC

Gimmie just this and knock off $40 cause $100 to be able to have a batarang is stupid. The Box looks nice but thats some kind og box youd have for a dvd collectors box or something. Personally I'm starting to think companies are getting way too out of hand with the pricing on these collectors editions now-a-days mostly due to the fact people will pay for them.

Also by now I think that making of stuff should come standard now as well. Oh well my thoughts.

#21 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Dude, Batarang, I too need some more useless, pricey Batman related bullshit hanging round here.

#22 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

For those interested in getting this game on the PC like myself, sorry to say you won't be getting a Colletor's Edition of the game according to this article on Shacknews. However the regular version of the PC game will cost less than the regular console version, go figure.

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed there won't be a CE for the PC version. I would gladly buy it.

#23 Posted by HatKing (6025 posts) -

I'm not really that interested in this game...I mean I might rent it.

#24 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

I have never, nor will I ever, buy a collectors edition of any game. Gaming is often prohibitively expensive as it is, then when you throw on another $50 for a few bits of useless junk,  I'd imagine you end up feeling like an idiot with a thin wallet. For $100 bucks, I could buy two or more other games that I might actually be interested in. The only way it would be worth it is if they threw in a fully functional replica of the batman costume.

#25 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

I felt kind of stupid after paying $90 for the CE of RE5, soooo.... no.

#26 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

I MAY get the collectors edition for this awesome looking wolverine game... but this is a GameFly game, tops.

#27 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

This is how economics work. You charge the most you possibly can to get a person to buy the product. Most people are cheap in a way. They will only buy the game because that is what they came for, but Eidos (and plenty of other developers) know that there are those certain people that will pay more than the price of admission to get the little extras. It's the same reason that popcorn in a movie theater is so expensive. It's not really because the theater has a monopoly on the popcorn (even though they do), it's really because they are charging the most they can to the people who are more willing to spend money (ie popcorn lovers).

#28 Posted by Roddykat (237 posts) -

Batarang?? Would it fit in my GTA 4 lockbox? The game would be handy, though.  A C note, though? DLC that'll eventually come out? Maybe...Wait, no cloth map? No deal!

#29 Posted by MeatSim (10898 posts) -

You would have to be one crazy Batman fan to drop a 100 dollars on that.

#30 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Neat stuff. Especially the encylopedia. Not something I'm willing to buy though.

#31 Posted by Muze (183 posts) -

Batarang is cool, but not worth an extra $40. I don't care about anything else really, though an interview with Mark Hamil would be neat to watch.

#32 Posted by FoxMulder (1706 posts) -

maybe if the game gets 9's from all of the major review sites, but only then i'll THINK about getting this.  The journal seems kind of interesting to me, and the batarang  : )

#33 Posted by bwooduhs (1618 posts) -

I kinda want this and im not even a huge Batman fan.

#34 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

better then the overpriced halo cat helmet edition

#35 Posted by herviross_2 (91 posts) -

That seems pretty expensive but I'm a huge Batman fan and would not  mind shelling out the extra 40 bucks.

#36 Posted by Milkman (17034 posts) -

Dude, that's a fucking Batarang. Anyone saying this is overpriced can eat a dick. YOU GET A BATARANG!

#37 Posted by smokeH (281 posts) -

Pricey, I would get it tho if I had cash which i dont sooooooo. Maybe in the future.

#38 Posted by Pie (7109 posts) -

This was on the wiki ages ago.

#39 Posted by darkjester74 (1589 posts) -

I'm a huge Batman fan, but this pack is a bit much, both in terms of content and price.  I would pay $10 more for the behind the scenes DVD and the extra map.  But a $100 is just too much.  I get the feeling publishers are pushing the boundaries to see where gamers actually balk at paying for this stuff.  So if you want to see prices continue to rise, by all means keep purchasing these things.  =\

#40 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

I think Pachter is wrong on this one. I went to Best Buy in February and the Fallout 3 Collector's Edition was priced at $59.00, the same price as the regular edition. I doubt collector's edition prices will go up during a recession; in fact, I think we'll start seeing less games coming out with collector's editions simultaneously released with the regular game.

Only if said game is shown to be successful in the first month, will we hear from the grape vine about any news of collector's edition versions surfacing. At least that's what I think! =P

#41 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I must say that Batarang looks sweet, but I know if I buy it, I will regret it not long after.

#42 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -

What a retarded thing to want.

#43 Posted by HT101 (1160 posts) -

If I had a Batarang, that would be pretty freaking awesome.  However, it is not worth 100 bucks, even though the game itself looks really sweet.

#44 Posted by lukegib (52 posts) -

all i want out of that is the game and the challenge map dlc

#45 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

Sounds neat, but I'm not going to lay down $100, no way!

Just sell the stuff sold individually

#46 Posted by warbadger (40 posts) -

ouch...

#47 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Disappointed with all the Collector's Editions i've bought, as they often never sell out (unless they are the SF4 for PS3 one) and often price drop. Have the RE5, Fallout 3 and Resistance 2 CEs and they all really weren't worth it. I think the RE5 was the best just for the fancy case...but not worth the extra 30 bucks or so. Think I am going to pass on CEs from now on.

#48 Posted by Jared (559 posts) -

Forget this! I'm really sick of crappy collectors editions of games, especially ones like RE5, and this that charge a huge premium. Whatever happened to charging $10 more and you get this crap?

#49 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1888 posts) -

i also winced when i saw that pricetag. i'm no comic fan or anything, but come on, a freaking batarang! if i got that i'd totally rip it off the stand, go to the circus, and kick some clown's ass. i am batman!

#50 Posted by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -

The extras are cool, but there's still a good chance that this game can suck.  I've never bought the special edition for a game before and I doubt I'll start here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.