Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

Batman at the midway point.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By irishjohn

I’m obviously a bit behind the curve on this, but that’s the price of reduced playing time.  I suppose I just wanted to weigh in before everyone else has moved on to the next big thing.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is really really good.  There.  That was easy.  My rebellious streak rears its troubling head once again.

Actually, Arkham is really really good but it’s not earth shattering stuff.  For the first few hours of playing the game, I wondered where all these big score reviews, where some of the Bioshock talk, had come from.  I’m only halfway through, so there might be a big twist in the works, but so far I don’t really see it.  However, I do see a really well made game.

No Caption Provided

Everything about Arkham feels right.  The stealth aspects are fun, even for someone who doesn’t like stealth games an awful lot.  The beat-em-up style aspects are fun.  The detective mode, which I assumed early on would get stale very quickly, continues to be lots of fun.  The overall package? Perhaps if I was more into Batman, had read more books about the Caped Crusader, knew more about the backstory behind characters like Killer Croc and Bane, I would be going nuts over this.  

The game has made me much more enthusiastic to get over to my local comic book store and actually grab a couple of the major books though.  In that respect, Arkham has a lot of appeal to lots of different potential Batman fans.  If you liked The Dark Knight, you’ll probably like this game.  If you dig Batman at all, you’ll probably like this game.  If you like video games, you’ll probably like this game.  Bit of a perfect storm, no?

So, halfway through, as stunningly unfair as it is to offer an opinion, here’s one of mine:  you should play Batman: Arkham Asylum if you’re into video games and you can afford the money and time.  If not... Well, it’s a classic example of the choices so-called “hardcore gamers” often have to make.  I am really enjoying this game and I would recommend it, but it’s just not in the Bioshock “you have to drop everything and play this game RIGHT NOW” category.  But then, how many games this generation really are in that category?
    irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By irishjohn

I’m obviously a bit behind the curve on this, but that’s the price of reduced playing time.  I suppose I just wanted to weigh in before everyone else has moved on to the next big thing.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is really really good.  There.  That was easy.  My rebellious streak rears its troubling head once again.

Actually, Arkham is really really good but it’s not earth shattering stuff.  For the first few hours of playing the game, I wondered where all these big score reviews, where some of the Bioshock talk, had come from.  I’m only halfway through, so there might be a big twist in the works, but so far I don’t really see it.  However, I do see a really well made game.

No Caption Provided

Everything about Arkham feels right.  The stealth aspects are fun, even for someone who doesn’t like stealth games an awful lot.  The beat-em-up style aspects are fun.  The detective mode, which I assumed early on would get stale very quickly, continues to be lots of fun.  The overall package? Perhaps if I was more into Batman, had read more books about the Caped Crusader, knew more about the backstory behind characters like Killer Croc and Bane, I would be going nuts over this.  

The game has made me much more enthusiastic to get over to my local comic book store and actually grab a couple of the major books though.  In that respect, Arkham has a lot of appeal to lots of different potential Batman fans.  If you liked The Dark Knight, you’ll probably like this game.  If you dig Batman at all, you’ll probably like this game.  If you like video games, you’ll probably like this game.  Bit of a perfect storm, no?

So, halfway through, as stunningly unfair as it is to offer an opinion, here’s one of mine:  you should play Batman: Arkham Asylum if you’re into video games and you can afford the money and time.  If not... Well, it’s a classic example of the choices so-called “hardcore gamers” often have to make.  I am really enjoying this game and I would recommend it, but it’s just not in the Bioshock “you have to drop everything and play this game RIGHT NOW” category.  But then, how many games this generation really are in that category?
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Oni

This game is even better than Bioshock I think, but I am also a Batnerd so take that as you will.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By irishjohn
    @Oni:
    That's just it though!  I think I'm slowly becoming a batnerd.  I don't know much more about Batman than popular culture stuff, but I really want to read more of the books now.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm on Oni's boat for this one.  

Bioshock had a lot of incredible atmosphere, but I didn't enjoy playing that game, only experiencing it. With Batman, it's a different story. The writing isn't as high-brow as Bioshock's, but it's more consistent, and the gameplay is enjoyable regardless.  

Most of the main storyline stuff comes from pop-Batman canon. Bane, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc; these are all villains who have seen some measure of mainstream success in the last ten years, be it in the Animated Series or otherwise.  

The Riddler's Challenges, though, is where you'll need more than an outsider's knowledge of the fiction to appreciate Rocksteady's effort. I mean, they give you the character bio for the obscure characters, which is neat, but coming into the game knowing who Hush is and how important he is to the Batman in the comic line, or how someone like Black Mask figures into the whole thing--that just makes the game sweeter than sweet.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Driadon

Wow, I'm on the other end here (not in the game hating, but which I preferred), I liked Bioshock much more then Arkham Asylum largely because the gameplay variance you could create using plasmids and the different weapons. That said, I still love me some Arkham Asylum as it really got a lot right, but I'm the kind of gamer that likes elements that mix things up consistently.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Driadon: I think the room for creativity is just as viable in Arkham Asylum as it is in Bioshock. I just think the developers of the former downplayed that bit, where the developers of the latter tried to underline and emphasize that point.  

It's one thing to drop down behind someone and smother them a hundred times over. But remember, you're Batman, you have a taste for theatrics. Throw a Sonic Batarang at a structurally weak platform, get under it, then use the Batclaw to yank the floor out from beneath the unsuspecting henchmen. Things like that. 

It's there, I'd say. The game isn't willing to throttle you with it, though.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Driadon
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Very good point, I guess I should rephrase my standing to: Bioshock pushed that variety home much more then Batman did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.