Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

Batman DLC to be called "Insane Night" and "Prey in the Darkness"

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By suneku
    Story here
    Insane Night comes out on the 17th and Prey in the Darkness on the 24th. Definitely sounds like challenge maps. Hopefully they'll be fun.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Akeldama

any word on exclusivity?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

Free DLC = FUCK YEAH!!!  Wonder if it'll have new achievements on them.  Definitely sound like Challenge rooms, which is what I expected from Batman DLC.  

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

Sweet, sounds awesome. I want to hear some details on these, though challenge maps is probably what they are going to be.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably challenge rooms, sounds good tho

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Pinkshley1

Sounds good, I hope they add a lot to this game over time! 
    by the way, how fun are the challenge rooms? I am probably getting this game, are they a fun diversion from story mode?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By wefwefasdf

Free? I thought Microsoft didn't allow that? Sounds cool though. :)

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By suneku
    @jakob187 said:
    " Free DLC = FUCK YEAH!!!  Wonder if it'll have new achievements on them.  Definitely sound like Challenge rooms, which is what I expected from Batman DLC.   "
    I highly doubt there will be achievements. It's a microsoft policy that free DLC wouldn't get achievements, which is why Burnout didn't get achievements for the bike dlc pack. But trophies on the other hand.... I've seen them add so much trophies on burnout on the ps3 for all the free stuff. Guess it's entirely up to the devs on that one.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By vidiot
    Free DLC= Vidiot goes "YAY!"
    Challenge Maps= Vidiot goes "...yay??..."

If they're anything like some of the Challenge Maps I'm playing now, I'm going to be cautious. Some of them are pretty annoying.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Yay!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

I wish they would release some story content that is on the side. Or challenge maps with new areas not from the games.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
    @vidiot said:
    " Free DLC= Vidiot goes "YAY!"
    Challenge Maps= Vidiot goes "...yay??..."  If they're anything like some of the Challenge Maps I'm playing now, I'm going to be cautious. Some of them are pretty annoying. "
    You mean CHALLENGING?  That's the point of calling them CHALLENGE maps.  They aren't impossible by any means, but you DO have to practice and work to achieve and excel at them. 

@suneku said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " Free DLC = FUCK YEAH!!!  Wonder if it'll have new achievements on them.  Definitely sound like Challenge rooms, which is what I expected from Batman DLC.   "
    I highly doubt there will be achievements. It's a microsoft policy that free DLC wouldn't get achievements, which is why Burnout didn't get achievements for the bike dlc pack. But trophies on the other hand.... I've seen them add so much trophies on burnout on the ps3 for all the free stuff. Guess it's entirely up to the devs on that one. "
    I was unaware that free DLC was not allowed to have achievements.  That's kind of a bummer, really.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pinkshley1 said:

"Sounds good, I hope they add a lot to this game over time! by the way, how fun are the challenge rooms? I am probably getting this game, are they a fun diversion from story mode? "

Nearly as worthy of the admission fee as the core game itself. Difficult, but fuck-all addicting.  

Totally stoked for this, by the way. Though I did want to see some extra costumes. An Azrael suit, maybe.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @jakob187 said:
    " @vidiot said:
    Challenge Maps= Vidiot goes "...yay??..."  If they're anything like some of the Challenge Maps I'm playing now, I'm going to be cautious. Some of them are pretty annoying. "
    You mean CHALLENGING?  That's the point of calling them CHALLENGE maps.  They aren't impossible by any means, but you DO have to practice and work to achieve and excel at them. "
    Theres a fine line between challenging and bad.
    Remember when we were kids and thought bad games were just hard?
    DrRockzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DrRockzo

are you saying batman is bad cause that would make you a fool
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vidiot
    @JeffGoldblum said:

" @jakob187 said:

" @vidiot said:

You mean CHALLENGING?  That's the point of calling them CHALLENGE maps.  They aren't impossible by any means, but you DO have to practice and work to achieve and excel at them. "
    Theres a fine line between challenging and bad. Remember when we were kids and thought bad games were just hard? "
    ...and Arkham Asylum runs down that line. 
    It's great to have challenge, my problem occurs when the map and it's requirements seem to come from testers who have played and replayed certain sections of the game to ad-nauseum and thus makes a goal. It reminds me of the Portal Gold map challenges, (An achievement I have, Apature Science.) and at the end of the day it's not nessicarily a "challenge" but fortitude of selecting replay challenge, over, and over again.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, I'm gunning for the achievement. But it doesnt exactly translate into something that is "fun" and worthwhile to look forward too, for me at least.

Edit:
    I would like to point out that I'm talking about the Challenge Maps and not Arkham Asylum, the game, as a whole. My little detraction and nitpick to this game does not mean that I hate the game, or think that it's poor. Arkham Asylum is the simply one of the best super-hero game ever released. Period.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
    @vidiot: The only Challenge map that I had any problems with was Shock and Awe (Extreme).  The rest...yeah, I hit "replay challenge" a couple of times, but it was nothing that I had an issue with.  I was still able to get all three medals after some time with the maps.  Shock and Awe (Extreme)...well, my problem ended up being that I had no solid strategy to achieve it.  Once I did (start with Batclaw, focus on knife and baton guys, then make sure to use Batarang and Batclaw for crowd control), it only took three tries after that to get the three medals. 

Other than that, the rest of the challenges were all fun to me.  That was the ONLY one that I was ripping my hair out over.  Maybe that's because I come from back in the day where high scores were all we had...
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheFreeMan

I love the challenge rooms (the brawling ones moreso than Predator challenges), and I am definitely looking forward to these. I don't have all of them yet (still getting all Riddler Challenges, sitting around 80% right now), but man, I love Sewer Bat (Extreme).

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

Can't beat free DLC packs, great news.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Damian

I'm guessing "Insane Night" is beating faces in the finale area. Though I'm hoping it'll be Arkham North or East, and they send every freak in the asylum at you. 
    And as for "Prey" ... Batcave? Obviously somewhere dark (smrt rite?).

I just don't think either of these will feature new environments. Though it'd be sweet if they were.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By suneku
    @Damian: That would be great if they gave a predator challenge set in the Batcave. Gives an opportunity to spend time around the area since we weren't in the batcave for too long.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suneku: Can always go back to the Batcave and hang out after you finish the game, I guess. 
    Dimitrio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dimitrio

Free DLC FTW!
    TheGamerFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheGamerFix

cool DLC will be awesome, also they are the most Batman-y names with out having the word Batman in them.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jakob187

While playing through the game again, my guess for the two places these challenges could take place: 

Insane Night (combat challenge)- the area right after you get to the party, where the Joker is up on that throne
    Prey for the Darkness (predator challenge) - the Aviary in the Botanical Gardens 

THOSE ARE NOT CONFIRMED!  That's just my guess at things.

Hassebla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hassebla

What's with everyone saying Shock and Awe (extreme) was so hard? It wasn't. You wanna know what was hard? Silent Knight (extreme)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hassebla said:
    " What's with everyone saying Shock and Awe (extreme) was so hard? It wasn't. You wanna know what was hard? Silent Knight (extreme) "
    Really? I found Silent Knight (extreme) to be pretty easy. But, then again, Shock and Awe (extreme) is a test of fucking patience. I'm impressed if you really didn't have much trouble with it. 
    Hassebla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hassebla
    Well I had perfected all the other challenge maps before trying it. So it only took me like 2 tries. Silent Knight (extreme) took me a hell of a long time to figure out though : /

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hassebla: What gave you the trouble?  

The hardest thing for me was locating three walls accessible enough to detonate. Once you find those and rig your explosives, just rappel through the glass, draw some attention, and blow that shit. 
    Hassebla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hassebla
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Hassebla: What gave you the trouble?   The hardest thing for me was locating three walls accessible enough to detonate. Once you find those and rig your explosives, just rappel through the glass, draw some attention, and blow that shit.  "
    Yeah, that part was hard. I guess I overdid my planning abit. First, the vent behind where you start, open that, run to the end use your explosive gel, then grapple up to the room with a poorly constructed roof. use it there, then line launch over to the small room with a poorly constructed wall and spray some there. then line launch to the walkways, throw a sonic batarang to where you planted the first explosive gel and lure someone into there.
    Darunia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Darunia
    @jakob187 said:

" While playing through the game again, my guess for the two places these challenges could take place:  Insane Night (combat challenge)- the area right after you get to the party, where the Joker is up on that thronePrey for the Darkness (predator challenge) - the Aviary in the Botanical Gardens  THOSE ARE NOT CONFIRMED!  That's just my guess at things. "

I think Insane Night will just be Dem Bones and maybe another Scarecrow themed map. Maybe Crime Alley'll be in there too.

edit: looks like we were both wrong:

EIDOS INTERACTIVE AND WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCE INSANE NIGHT MAP PACK FOR BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM™

Two Free Maps Available September 17 for PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360® and Games for Windows®

Monday 14th September/... Eidos Interactive Ltd. and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced the Insane Night Map Pack, a freedownloadable map pack for the critically acclaimed Batman: Arkham Asylum™ action adventure title. Beginning September 17th, the Insane Night Map Pack will be available from PlayStation® Store, Xbox® LIVE Marketplace, and Games for Windows® LIVE Marketplace, and offer gamers two new Challenge Maps to hone their FreeFlow™ Combat skills and test their Invisible Predator™ prowess.

In the ‘Totally Insane’ FreeFlow Combat map, players will be tested to their fullest as scores of escaped lunatics bear down upon BATMAN as they make their escape through the asylum’s secure records facility. These fast-moving foes will challenge all but the most practiced players, with quick reactions and expert timing needed to fend off wave upon wave of insane inmates, bent on taking down the DARK KNIGHT. In the ‘Nocturnal Hunter’ Invisible Predator map, players take on a wholly different approach, practicing their predatory skills to remain in the shadows, utilizing the Arkham watchtowers and Batman’s arsenal of gadgets to gain the upper hand on The Joker’s army of goons patrolling below.

The Insane Night Map Pack will be available from September 17th for PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, and the soon to be released Games for Windows® LIVE edition.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#32  Edited By yevinorion

The free pack sounds awesome, especially since the predator map almost sounds like it will be outside. :) Can't wait!

mark2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mark2000

I just have to laugh at the Stealth challenge of the Insane Night pack.

Just to keep it short:

It seems that Batman is going for the classic Spider-man quirk of web-swinging from thin air. 

I guess clouds are also susceptible to grappling hooks now. XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.