Buying Batman: I kind of do what I'm told.

Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -

Today, I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I bowed to the insane growing machine of the nascent Internet media complex! In other words, I put aside all my doubts over third person action games and licensed games and bought it purely because the reviews online were really good.

I’ve got a dodgy record with third person action games.  I like the two Gears of War games, but not as much as some, and kind of moved on from them a little too quickly.  There’s something about that type of game that just puts me off.  I can’t really put my finger on why, at least not as far as naming a specific failing within that specific genre goes.

I had heard the talk of Eidos getting up to its old tricks, being stupid enough to try and bribe journalists into providing good coverage of a game that was almost certain to get good reviews anyway. I ignored everything and still bought the game though.  

Really, the success of this game is probably a testament to the success of all things Batman right now.  Is there any kind of fictional intellectual property that is doing better right now?  Great movies, successful cartoons for years, a successful comic as always, and now a great game, what’s next?  Bruce Willis could probably release a Batman-themed blues album and get away with it the way things are going.  

In fact, take out the “ goddamn batman” stuff and the caped crusader’s recent record is flawless.

So I got the game.  Now let’s see if it really is any good.
#1 Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -

Today, I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I bowed to the insane growing machine of the nascent Internet media complex! In other words, I put aside all my doubts over third person action games and licensed games and bought it purely because the reviews online were really good.

I’ve got a dodgy record with third person action games.  I like the two Gears of War games, but not as much as some, and kind of moved on from them a little too quickly.  There’s something about that type of game that just puts me off.  I can’t really put my finger on why, at least not as far as naming a specific failing within that specific genre goes.

I had heard the talk of Eidos getting up to its old tricks, being stupid enough to try and bribe journalists into providing good coverage of a game that was almost certain to get good reviews anyway. I ignored everything and still bought the game though.  

Really, the success of this game is probably a testament to the success of all things Batman right now.  Is there any kind of fictional intellectual property that is doing better right now?  Great movies, successful cartoons for years, a successful comic as always, and now a great game, what’s next?  Bruce Willis could probably release a Batman-themed blues album and get away with it the way things are going.  

In fact, take out the “ goddamn batman” stuff and the caped crusader’s recent record is flawless.

So I got the game.  Now let’s see if it really is any good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.