Dear Gamestop, yet another reason everyone hates you

• 0 results
#1 Edited by Kyle (2323 posts) -

EDIT: Okay... overreactions much? I don't  REALLY care that there's a Gamestop logo on the box... I was just saying it's silly and dumb. Relax yourselves.

#2 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

do you hate that their logo is on the box??? cus i hate that

#3 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

That isn't cool. I hate how they put about three different price tag stickers on used game making it nearly impossible to get them all off without ruining the case. Grr...

#4 Edited by Kyle (2323 posts) -
@Kermoosh: Yeah. A sticker is okay, but now my copy of Batman is gonna have a gamestop logo forever? What the hell?
#5 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

What a bunch of absolute cocks, seriously, fuck them.

#6 Posted by masternater27 (918 posts) -

Best Buy ftw

#7 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

the stickers are bad enough that i have to clean them off with water, but that logo box exclusive thing is pretty gay, it ruins the batman cover, which actually looks good

#8 Posted by spankingaddict (2660 posts) -

will all future games do that you think? cause i would hate that :(

#9 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -
@spankingaddict: Oh man that would suck. If they did that I think I would stop going there altogether.
#10 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Why does it matter?

#11 Posted by Crono11 (1645 posts) -

I was at EB games and was about to buy it until I looked at the case they had out and realized that that wan't a sticker and just went to Future Shop instead. I don't want to look at that logo ever time I want to play Batman, I'd feel dirty.
#12 Posted by RipTheVeins (1546 posts) -

I remember being soooo pissed when they did this with The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena. Seriously! Why not just make it a sticker? Is adhesive too expensive for your company who can't even manage to do the ONE thing that they do well?

#13 Posted by Homer39 (157 posts) -

mine has something like that but its for the joker challenge maps. 

#14 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -
@crono11 said:
" I was at EB games and was about to buy it until I looked at the case they had out and realized that that wan't a sticker and just went to Future Shop instead. I don't want to look at that logo ever time I want to play Batman, I'd feel dirty. "
id prefer not to have that on the case, but i wouldn't leave a store just to drive to another store to buy the same game for the same price, without the scarecrow map
#15 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@kermoosh: I don't know about you, but Gamestop/EB Games seems to overprice the games... by a lot actually (Like in the realm of finding a copy of Crackdown for 28$ at EB while seeing one for 5$ at Blockbuster and it was new). Luckily for me, there's a BestBuy right next to EB Games, so I don't have to deal with their shit.
#16 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -
@Snipzor: thats completely true, but i was talking about when the game first comes out where its $60 everywhere
#17 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -

I'm happy I don't go to Gamestop ever. That would bug the hell out of me.

#18 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@kermoosh: I also have my own doubts about even that, I don't know, everything at EB/Gamestop seems 10$ more expensive than it would be in any other place... especially Blockbuster (90% of my library is from Blockbuster actually, hell I'm going back tomorrow to buy a game for less than 30$).
#19 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

Not really sure what you guys are talking about cause, as much as I hate it, Gamestop always has the best prices no matter where I look. Except Amazon of course.

#20 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Didn't know they were doing that to the games! Fuck that noise!
#21 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I have that except it says Playable joker exclusive, that's better then the gamestop logo though.

#22 Posted by RoyaleWifCheese (546 posts) -

Here's one: stop shopping there. I assume you "preordered." You obviously wouldn't be so irate if you had plucked the package off the shelf and then noticed the irremovable Gamestop logo after you got it home. Personally, I avoid Gamestop because their prices are no better than most other places, except for the used games which are reshelfed at a higher price than the store bought them for. I concur with Masternater. Best Buy, all the way.

#23 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

What the hell? I already hate Gamestop with a burning passion but why would they decide they needed to put that shit on a perfectly good game cover? I'm glad I never shop there.

#24 Posted by Time_Lord (714 posts) -

Just don't shop at game stop.

#25 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

Eidos and Gamestop love your money! :D 

thats the message i get from that irremovable logo. 
Eidos probably wanted it as much as Gamestop. 

They are bathing in your money right now. D:

#26 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

I love my Gamestop. I could care less about a tag or whatever. I just want to play a game and then sell it back to them.

#27 Posted by MrRedwine (430 posts) -

I use them when they have a good deal, but otherwise, I don't.

#28 Posted by Bucketdeth (8005 posts) -

People always complain about this shit, and I hate Gamestop as much as the next guy, but you just proved that you bought the product still and support them. 

I always go to another place first if I can.
#29 Posted by CoverlessTech (737 posts) -

Way to complain AND STILL SHOP THERE. 

Mine has a wal-mart thing about a download code where the gamestop thing is but I can honestly say I don't care.

#30 Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -

Gamestop is evil, never buy from them again!

#31 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@JamesBoyce: Seriously, go away.
#32 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Really, Gamestop gives me a lot of reasons to hate them. Having all their new games gutted, low trade-in prices, tons of stickers that leave behind residue and are sometimes on the cover itself (Not the plastic of the box, I mean behind that, on the paper). Still, none of those things would prevent me buying games there if the price is good enough. Still, I don't think I would buy that copy of Batman. It's tarnished forever. It's infection would spread to the rest of my collection, and before I would know it, all my games would have gamestop logos... That would make a good horror film.

#33 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Meh, I'm okay with it....I also work there.

#34 Posted by happyfatman (149 posts) -

Dude, I had this on my original Animal Crossing game for GameCube.  That was from K-Mart and it came with a guide and a memory card, and it had a not-sticker on the cover of the game saying that there was a "special gift" on the memory card.  It was also on the cover of my Star Fox Adventures game, saying that it came with a guide, also from K-Mart.  Stupid, but I got over it eventually. 

PS: @JamesBoyce :  There is a time and place for that, this is neither.
#35 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Yeah, I wouldn't be too happy if that happened to me.

#36 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:

" That isn't cool. I hate how they put about three different price tag stickers on used game making it nearly impossible to get them all off without ruining the case. Grr... "

buy GooGone. Removes the adhesive.

Buying my copy from BestBuy tomorrow however. Also Amazon and NewEgg are always gonna give you a better price on a new game compared to gamestop; just gotta wait however. Also BestBuy is selling new games at EBGames/GameStop used price I thought?
#37 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

You can always print off a new cover and slip it in it's place.

#38 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -
If you hate gamestop so fucking much then stop buying from them. It's as simple as that, problem solved. I am so sick and fucking tired of people moaning an bitching about certain stores but still shop there. Besides, blame Eidos...Square Enix Europe...they are the one responsible for the printing of the covers. 
#39 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

Then stop fucking buying from them dear god.

#40 Edited by Kyle (2323 posts) -
@RoyaleWifCheese said:

" Here's one: stop shopping there. I assume you "preordered." You obviously wouldn't be so irate if you had plucked the package off the shelf and then noticed the irremovable Gamestop logo after you got it home. Personally, I avoid Gamestop because their prices are no better than most other places, except for the used games which are reshelfed at a higher price than the store bought them for. I concur with Masternater. Best Buy, all the way. "

Nope. didn't preorder. Didn't pluck it off the shelf. I asked for it, payed for it, and then looked at when I got home. I wouldn't have gone there, but it's the only place around that sells new games. There are other places that are farther away, but I can't get to them while they're open due to my work hours. So I didn't have a choice. Well, of course I could have just waited like four days and then drove 40 minutes to by the game, but it's not THAT big of a deal.
#41 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

GameStop/EB sucks man, I feel your pain.

#42 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Its not as bad as when Target first started selling Metroid Prime. their ad for 20 dollars in savings was PART OF THE BOX ART!

#43 Posted by beanZfury (59 posts) -

I totally understand how you're feeling. I bought a copy from EBGames as well (since they were matching Futureshop and WalMart for the $39 price tag). The weird thing is I'm in Canada, so they had to do an entirely different printing to make these covers. Gusee that goes along with the French manual I am going to recycle (as I do with all my games. I thought it was a sticker on the insert, not an actual part of the art. I was a little choked as I feel like I got a Value Village sticker stuck to my Picasso (not quite I know); and I'm a little anal retentive about stickers and such. The worst instance that I have had is the Canadian version of The Orange Box. The entire cover Art was in large French print.

#44 Posted by Baillie (4075 posts) -

I don't get it, do you guys sit and play the boxart?

#45 Posted by Guerrilla_Mason (479 posts) -

I got the PS3 version from GameStop, and I think both the Joker and Riddler box things were both stickers on the wrapping. I'm at work right now, so I can't confirm this, but I'm sure they were both not on the box, much less the slip cover.  That really stinks, because I'm so ridiculous crazy about my boxes and boxart.

#46 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I thought the same thing, TC.

#47 Posted by Fallen189 (4978 posts) -

This is literally the worst thread.

#48 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -
@Kyle: Get it on Amazon next time then. I had the option to get it for $42 shipped and it wouldn't have had any marks on the box.
#49 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -
@Baillie said:
" I don't get it, do you guys sit and play the boxart? "
Boom! I agree with your sentiment. I'm sure the people complaining about this won't even care when the next big game comes out.
#50 Posted by agentboolen (1760 posts) -

Even worse is when you ask them if they have any new copies of a certain game and they say yea we have 1 last copy and they take a open box with a plastic bagged wrapped disc and pretend thats its never been F*CKING OPENED!!!!  I hate when they pull that sh*t, you opened it on me its used I don't care that it never was played its F*CKING USED!!!!   

And for those who think this isn't a big deal, last time this happened to me there was a smudge on the disk!!!  When buying new there shouldn't be any chance of a smudge or a scratch...  No matter how tiny it is.  New should be not opened, still have new fresh smell, and flawless disc.  I shouldn't have to buff out a smudge.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.