Did The Game Screw Me Out of Getting 100%?

#1 Edited by CraigAA1028 (546 posts) -

I have beaten the story and was happy to see you can run around the asylum afterwards to hunt down all the Riddler Challenges. I have over 230 of them and I notice something. In the Medical facility, there is an elevator. You have to use it in the story to get to the bottom floor (FIrst Encounter with Scarecrow).  

There are collectibles on this lower floor but the elevator is locked and I can't get down there. Is there any other entrance into that lower level? I've spent hours running around this map.  

Any game that has a collect everything gameplay mechanic should NOT block the player from getting such items, especially when the game allows you to roam around after completing it to find them. I'm hoping Batman is not this type of game. I shouldn't be punished and have to play through the entire game again.

#2 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Not to sound like an ass, but if you cared about getting 100% that much, shouldn't you have collected everything along the way?

#3 Posted by Creamypies (4065 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" Not to sound like an ass, but if you cared about getting 100% that much, shouldn't you have collected everything along the way? "
To some extent I agree with you, but if the game lets you continue AFTER the story is over... surely that means you should be able to finish finding all the collectibles... what other point would there be in continuing on?
#4 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@creamypies said:

" @Hitchenson said:

" Not to sound like an ass, but if you cared about getting 100% that much, shouldn't you have collected everything along the way? "
To some extent I agree with you, but if the game lets you continue AFTER the story is over... surely that means you should be able to finish finding all the collectibles... what other point would there be in continuing on? "
Hm, good point. I can only imagine how pissed people that missed those two diaries in BioShock's first level must have been for example.
#5 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" @creamypies said:

" @Hitchenson said:

To some extent I agree with you, but if the game lets you continue AFTER the story is over... surely that means you should be able to finish finding all the collectibles... what other point would there be in continuing on? "
Hm, good point. I can only imagine how pissed people that missed those two diaries in BioShock's first level must have been for example. "
On top of that, it's not worth it to immediately scoure every crevice. Considering the fact you need specific gadgets to reach different secrets.
#6 Edited by CraigAA1028 (546 posts) -

Ok so instead of discussing whether it's fair or not, can someone help me with my original post? Is there a way down there? 

I meant the Medical Facility not Intensive Treatment.

#7 Posted by hughesie27 (192 posts) -
@CraigAA said:
" Ok so instead of discussing whether it's fair or not, can someone help me with my original post? Is there a way down there? "
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately though I can't. Good Luck. PS, I assume there will be so keep hope.
#8 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

I don't have the game but could you start a new game and just play it till you get to that part, or do you need one game with 100% to get the achievement?

#9 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Use noclip, oh wait....

#10 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -
@CraigAA said:
" Ok so instead of discussing whether it's fair or not, can someone help me with my original post? Is there a way down there?  I meant the Medical Facility not Intensive Treatment. "
I haven't gone back just quite yet, but I would imagine there's probably an alternate route of some sort to get down there.  There seems to be a lot of those.  I'm at 76% items right now, so we'll see how it turns out.  I'll play it tonight, and if you don't have an answer by then, I'll let you know tomorrow. 

More than likely, though, I'll probably just do my item collection walkthrough when I play through it on Hard.  =  /
#11 Posted by agentboolen (1786 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
Well guess what you do sound like an ass.  Sometimes people like to move through levels at there own pace and not let stupid collection items slow down all the good things about the game   =P
#12 Posted by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 (559 posts) -
@CraigAA: There should be a vent in the area that let's you into the elevator shaft.
#13 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Then why would they suddenly care about "stupid collection" later if it wasn't interesting to start with? Make sense, guy.

#14 Posted by Jimbo (9810 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" Then why would they suddenly care about "stupid collection" later if it wasn't interesting to start with? Make sense, guy. "
The same reason you don't bone the ugly chick if her hot friend is offering.... I mean, sure, once you're done with the hot friend maybe...
#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@creamypies said:
" @Hitchenson said:
dont call him shirley
#16 Edited by jakob187 (21671 posts) -
@Alex_Murphy said:

" I don't have the game but could you start a new game and just play it till you get to that part, or do you need one game with 100% to get the achievement? "

100% goes beyond just the Riddler's Challenges.  There are, like, four or five categories at the title screen that you have to get 100% on.  The Combat and Predator Challenges are one part, the Riddler's Challenges are another, and then there are a couple of other things. 

@Hitchenson said:

You don't sound like an ass, but you do sound like someone who doesn't understand how much fun this game is.  It's really tough to focus on collectibles when you are playing through the game, because the story is very well-written and fun to play through.  I'm not the strictest completion whore, but I like getting as much as I can on my first playthrough.  Regardless, I only got about 76% because I kept getting swept up in the game itself. 

Collection is also about replay value, which Arkham Asylum has already proven to me today that there is a good bit of replay value in it.  = D
#17 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@jakob187: I don't have the game yet dude, so no, I'm afraid I don't. Roll on Friday!
#18 Posted by CraigAA1028 (546 posts) -

Yeah about 5 minutes after my second post I explored the area and realized I'm dumb and didn't see the vent above the elevator. My bad

#19 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -
@CraigAA said:
" Yeah about 5 minutes after my second post I explored the area and realized I'm dumb and didn't see the vent above the elevator. My bad "
I was just going to post this!  lol  Yeah, the air duct that drops you down into Harley Quinn's room for one of the riddles has a grate that can be knocked out. 

I'm 6 riddles away from being done with that portion of the game!  = D
#20 Posted by StarFry64 (170 posts) -

What about the Joker Teeth? They come and go.

#21 Edited by mark2000 (111 posts) -
@CraigAA said:

" I have beaten the story and was happy to see you can run around the asylum afterwards to hunt down all the Riddler Challenges. I have over 230 of them and I notice something. In the Medical facility, there is an elevator. You have to use it in the story to get to the bottom floor (FIrst Encounter with Scarecrow).   There are collectibles on this lower floor but the elevator is locked and I can't get down there. Is there any other entrance into that lower level? I've spent hours running around this map.   Any game that has a collect everything gameplay mechanic should NOT block the player from getting such items, especially when the game allows you to roam around after completing it to find them. I'm hoping Batman is not this type of game. I shouldn't be punished and have to play through the entire game again. "

On the upper left corner of the elevator is a ventilation shaft. Use that to go to the lower floors. Use detective mode if you have a hard time finding it.

One thing you need to know about Arkham Asylum is that, by the end of the game, there will always be a path for every part of the map you want to go to. You just have to find it. Detective mode also helps.

EDIT:

LOL. You already found out. 

Never mind then. XD
#22 Posted by SUBL1ME (116 posts) -
@Alex_Murphy said:
" I don't have the game but could you start a new game and just play it till you get to that part, or do you need one game with 100% to get the achievement? "
Sadly the game does not work like that. The game gives you four or five save slots, each one being its own self-contained progress for everything including story data and challenge maps. So doing certain things on one file then certain things on another do not cross over every thing has to be on one playthrough with the exception of difficulty achievements and performing so many combos.
#23 Posted by MeatXbeatsXman (238 posts) -

Yeah, there's a vent near the elevator doors, take that. Though where the game does screw you is when you approach the final boss. To get the trophy/ achievement take out all the baddies before you enter the final door.

#24 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
You can't... Some things require items that you wouldn't have until you're pretty much done the game, for example the high powered Cryptographic hacker.
#25 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" @Hitchenson said:
You can't... Some things require items that you wouldn't have until you're pretty much done the game, for example the high powered Cryptographic hacker. "
Yeah, I posted that before playing the game. I got the game and all the riddles now yo!
#26 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" @creamypies said:

" @Hitchenson said:

Hm, good point. I can only imagine how pissed people that missed those two diaries in BioShock's first level must have been for example. "
or at Andrew Ryan's office. >.> (yes, I missed one fucking diary in Andrew Ryan's office. :B )
#27 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@clubsandwich said:
" @Hitchenson said:
" @creamypies said:

" @Hitchenson said:

or at Andrew Ryan's office. >.> (yes, I missed one fucking diary in Andrew Ryan's office. :B ) "
LAWL :D
#28 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" @clubsandwich said:
" @Hitchenson said:
" @creamypies said:

" @Hitchenson said:

or at Andrew Ryan's office. >.> (yes, I missed one fucking diary in Andrew Ryan's office. :B ) "
LAWL :D "
it's not funny when it's the only diary you miss in the whole game. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.