Do you like the Batman: Arkham Asylum PC controls?

#1 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

To be honest I think I would have preferred console controls but oh well.
How about you my young jedi's?

#2 Posted by TheCappuccinoBandit (268 posts) -

I just used the Xbox 360 controller to play it on the PC. The keyboard controls looked messed up.

#3 Posted by roylink (132 posts) -

I think it is alright.

#4 Posted by JukeboxJoe (242 posts) -

No one knows. PC gaming is dead
#5 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@JukeboxJoe said:
" No one knows. PC gaming is dead "

I hope you are joking -.-
#6 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I thought the controls worked great. I have a 360 controller here but did not use it for this game since the mouse & keyboard controls were intuitive. I just set punches to left click, stun punches to the thumb mouse button, and using most tools with a right click. Some go to aim mode with right click so you aim with the mouse and left click to "shoot" them (batarangs, grapple hook, whatever), others also required the thumb button, like to make the charges explode. Then after you get the hang of it you can also use hotkeys for the quick throws so that you don't have to use the aim mode. Q for batarangs etc. Space to run and dodge with double tap, F for detective mode, whatever else. Very FPS-ish and natural feeling despite this being mostly a brawler. Combat, I didn't like much, but that's the fault of the game and not the control input I used, it's just too simplistic and chaotic, it really doesn't take much skill beyond the occasional dodge. Everything else about the game I loved though.

Also, it's just so damn beautiful with all the settings maxed out. I love the texture work especially, the goons could have looked better for sure.

#7 Posted by Bane (453 posts) -

The default PC controls work fine for me.

#8 Posted by FlamingHobo (4512 posts) -
@Fudge_Wirlwind said:
" I just used the Xbox 360 controller to play it on the PC. The keyboard controls looked messed up. "
#9 Posted by JukeboxJoe (242 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" @JukeboxJoe said:
I hope you are joking -.- "

Yeah I was :P
#10 Posted by KuwabaraTheMan (155 posts) -

I'm playing it on PC and I think the controls are just fine. I haven't really experienced any difficulties with them. I really can't imagine playing this game with another setup, honestly.

#11 Posted by Hamst3r (4564 posts) -

I played the demo using the mouse and keyboard. It played great. :D
#12 Posted by Jimbo (9993 posts) -

I just went straight to 360 controller, it's a decent investment for playing console games on your PC (plus you can get the games for half the console version price).  

It would be nice if more actions were context sensitive without having to switch tool manually (blowing up walls, security override etc.) but other than that the controls seem fine.  My current impression is that the game is a little overrated - the overall experience is great, but the actual gameplay parts (the brawling and clearing rooms of armed dudes) seem a bit weak so far.

#13 Posted by bwooduhs (1618 posts) -

360 controller is so much better. Keyboards just don't do it for me.

#14 Posted by Kazona (3096 posts) -

The game plays just fine with kb and mouse.

#15 Posted by DeepVoiceMan (64 posts) -

Only thing i think a mouse and keyboard are useful  for are rts/rps where you need that many inputs. Other than that i fucking hate using a mouse and keyboard.   Its uncomfortable as hell.  

#16 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Since I had no choice I was forced to use my keyboard & mouse and it was less than ideal. I found the PC control scheme to be pretty terrible if I do say so myself. A controller would have been much, much better as I found by playing the PS3 demo of the game on my console.

Can a PS3 controller plug into a PC and work in games like this?

#17 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Hamz said:

" Can a PS3 controller plug into a PC and work in games like this? "

Depends on the game. The most likely answer is yes if it supports directinput. Some games that support xinput can use a wrapper/hook that emulates it with directinput. It's available over at http://www.tocaedit.com/ Called 360 Controller Emulator.

And I dunno about plugging it in... you might have to use bluetooth. I don't own a PS3 controller because (last I heard) the sixaxis tilty support doesn't work on PC.

@OP: I tried them and immediately went back to my 360 controller. Haven't played full game yet.
#18 Posted by RipTheVeins (1546 posts) -
@Hamz: 

;) 

I also found the PC controls to be good for the demo, but once you get more and more things you need to press it just gets too frantic and cluttery to do things that are so simple to do on a console's controller.
#19 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" @Hamz said:

" Can a PS3 controller plug into a PC and work in games like this? "

Depends on the game. The most likely answer is yes if it supports directinput. Some games that support xinput have an app that emulates it with directinput. It's available over at http://www.tocaedit.com/  And I dunno about plugging it in... you might have to use bluetooth. I don't own a PS3 controller because (last I heard) the sixaxis tilty support doesn't work on PC. @OP: I tried them and immediately went back to my 360 controller. Haven't played full game yet. "
nah you can use the cable that comes with it, and if you wanted to use it in game, the easiest way to do it, is to use a profile and map the keyboard to the controller.
Might still have a link if you want me to pm you it.
#20 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:

" the easiest way to do it, is to use a profile and map the keyboard to the controller. Might still have a link if you want me to pm you it. "

Easiest but least functional. This removes analog functionality of the triggers and at least one of the sticks (the other stick could use the mouse axis, but that's all). Seriously try the 360 controller emulator, especially since the games are made for such a controller.
#21 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" @Ineedaname said:

" the easiest way to do it, is to use a profile and map the keyboard to the controller. Might still have a link if you want me to pm you it. "

Easiest but least functional. This removes analog functionality of the triggers and at least one of the sticks (the other stick could use the mouse axis, but that's all). Seriously try the 360 controller emulator, especially since the games are made for such a controller. "
Why use an emulator? Won't the 360 controller be supported?

And for Batman do the triggers need to use the function, pretty sure they're just "Buttons", and I've used it before and not lots any control over the mouse. Worked just fine.
#22 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:

Why use an emulator? Won't the 360 controller be supported?   And for Batman do the triggers need to use the function, pretty sure they're just "Buttons", and I've used it before and not lots any control over the mouse. Worked just fine. "

The emulator is to make the PC think your PS3 controller is a 360 controller so games will recognize it better and retain full xinput functionality (instead of the standard directinput that non 360 controllers use). For example, the method that RipTheVeins posted will get the controller working in directinput alone (i think -- the video doesn't show him testing in an xinput game); but combined with the 360ce will make it work in xinput-only games.

Yes, for Batman, the triggers aren't analog, but his walking is. WASD mapped to J1X and J1Y axis is still digital input. But he asked about games like this in general, not just Batman. You'd want analog trigger functionality in many other games, most assuredly.
#23 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@MrKlorox: Ah sorry in that case it probably would be easier, when you said emulator for a 360 controller my initial thought was you were making a 360 controller run on the PC, never made the right connection, sorry, but yeah you're right in that case.
#24 Posted by armaan8014 (5444 posts) -

controls are awesome ... just like the pc

#25 Posted by Spitfire3775 (41 posts) -

The controls were good. I will hook up my 360 controller soon 

#26 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2482 posts) -

I played it with the original 360 controller, it was great, especially the rumble effects. That's something you miss playing with mouse and keyboard.

#27 Posted by monkeyroach (175 posts) -

i had more fun playing with the kb&m.

#28 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

It works perfect for me more than using a controller, not sure why though. I don't get hit as much, then again it depends on your skills with a keyboard.

#29 Posted by Willy105 (4691 posts) -

I liked it. Felt great maneuvering your punches with the mouse.

#30 Posted by wosifat (188 posts) -
@Fudge_Wirlwind said:
" I just used the Xbox 360 controller to play it on the PC. The keyboard controls looked messed up. "
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I tried the 360 controller with the PC, and my 360 came on and the game ended my session for being logged in somewhere else.  When I turned the 360 off, the controller turned off as well.  The Games for Windows site says you can't use the 360 controller with PC games, which seems like a rip off.  I don't feel like spending the extra money for the Xbox 360 controller for Windows.
Anyone?
#31 Posted by Vitamin_Dei (188 posts) -
@wosifat: You don't need a special windows version of the 360 controller, but you pretty much do need a wired controller. There are some peripherals that will allow you use the wireless controller, IIRC, but it's all a bit kludgy. Plugging a USB charge cable into your controller unfortunately won't make the PC recognize it as a wired controller.  You could pick up a $20 off brand 360 controller. I have a Gamestop branded Mad Catz one that's surprisingly solid given their reputation. 

But the PC controls are actually super solid if you're comfy with mouse and keyboard! Hope this helps.
#32 Posted by amir90 (2178 posts) -

I was able to use the keyboard just fine :P

#33 Posted by PDC_Emulator (184 posts) -

I played the shit out of that game on PC and thought the controls were fine.

#34 Posted by Regal (434 posts) -

I only got wireless controllers so I stuck with the keyboard and mouse. It is fully playable if you got a mouse with a few buttons because then you can assign special takedown, throw and batarang to the mouse and you do not have to mess about with the keyboard. I use a logitech mouse with two extra buttons on the side. 

#35 Posted by wwanderlustt (3 posts) -

As a fan of Arkham Asylum and "An Innocent Man" from "The Killer Joke" and "Batman Black & White" I made a shortfilm mixing both plus the Nolan movies and other stuff, so well, I learned that Arkham Asylum works well in a movie! Please see it and rate it if you like it!  Thanks!!!

This is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvRgI7TfEBo 
The name is: "An Innocent Guy" - The Killer Joke - Batman Black & White - Arkham Asylum

#36 Posted by raiz265 (2242 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" @JukeboxJoe said:
I hope you are joking -.- "
"Trolling" would be the right term. 

Didn't encounter any problems with the controls. 
But I would use the Xbox360 controller now I bought some weeks ago...
#37 Posted by Evilsbane (4738 posts) -

I have to say even though they presented no problem for me personally I recognized that they weren't the best and the controller is the way to go, mainly for comfort if anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.