Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

Does hanging from the gargoyles do anything besides look cool?

trustymutsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By trustymutsi

I was wondering this morning as I played B:AA. Does hanging upside down from the gargoyles have any advantage gameplay-wise, or is it just to look cool?    I'm able to do the inverted takedown on thugs even when I'm sitting rightside up on the gargoyles, so that doesn't seem to be the advantage. 

Thanks for any help! :)
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Gives you more reach so you can inverted take down farther away enemies.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Akeldama
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Gives you more reach so you can inverted take down farther away enemies. "
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead

Batman never looks cool.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By alexl86

Also makes it easier to drop right below the gargoyle and spray some gel. Since everyone rushes to the gargoyle anyway when you do the inverted takedown, you might as well blow them up.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By suneku
    @alexl86 said:
    " Also makes it easier to drop right below the gargoyle and spray some gel. Since everyone rushes to the gargoyle anyway when you do the inverted takedown, you might as well blow them up. "
    Definitely. I'm playing my hard playthrough and I haven't upgraded the inverted takedown yet, so I can't hang upside down. There were times were I just wanted to drop down right behind them, but since I couldn't hang upside down, I semi-glided dropped and ended up right in front of his face.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60
    @suneku said:
    " @alexl86 said:
    " Also makes it easier to drop right below the gargoyle and spray some gel. Since everyone rushes to the gargoyle anyway when you do the inverted takedown, you might as well blow them up. "
    Definitely. I'm playing my hard playthrough and I haven't upgraded the inverted takedown yet, so I can't hang upside down. There were times were I just wanted to drop down right behind them, but since I couldn't hang upside down, I semi-glided dropped and ended up right in front of his face. "
    Try to land right on top of them in that case. If you land on top of them they fall down and you can do a ground takedown.
    trustymutsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trustymutsi

Wow, thanks! All this time I thought it was just for looks!
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@trustymutsi said:
    " Wow, thanks! All this time I thought it was just for looks! "
    :P 
    Doesn't change the fact that it's awesome looking
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By suneku
    @CL60 said:
    " @suneku said:
    " @alexl86 said:
    Definitely. I'm playing my hard playthrough and I haven't upgraded the inverted takedown yet, so I can't hang upside down. There were times were I just wanted to drop down right behind them, but since I couldn't hang upside down, I semi-glided dropped and ended up right in front of his face. "
    Try to land right on top of them in that case. If you land on top of them they fall down and you can do a ground takedown. "
    I already know that. Still pretty hard to maneuver him mid-air when I wasn't aiming for his head anyways.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By damswedon
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " Batman never looks cool. "
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By TheHBK

pretty sure Batman is a homosexual.  well at least in this game.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187
    @HandsomeDead said:
    Someone invert takedown this fool!!! 

@TheHBK said:
    " pretty sure Batman is a homosexual.  well at least in this game. "
    And this fool also!!! 

Also, the hang does a lot of things for you, especially when you get into the Predator challenges.  Hanging from a gargoyle gives you a position advantage to drop down without gliding in order to sneak up and do a silent takedown on someone.  It's also the only way to do an inverted takedown, which comes in handy when you're in a rush and need to escape really quick to other gargoyles.  The biggest thing that it will do for you, however, is give you yet another perspective to look at to see if jumping down if going to land you in the place you need to land if you do choose to drop down, glide, or whatever. 

I tried two of the Extreme Predator challenges last night, and fuck me running!  The Extreme challenges IN GENERAL are tough as nails sometimes.  Shock and Awe Extreme is kicking my ass right now!!!  All the shock baton guys, all the knife guys, and you've gotta take 'em all down in a less than a minute on each round!!!  FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE!!!
    trustymutsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By trustymutsi
    @jakob187 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    Someone invert takedown this fool!!! 

@TheHBK said:
    " pretty sure Batman is a homosexual.  well at least in this game. "
    And this fool also!!!  Also, the hang does a lot of things for you, especially when you get into the Predator challenges.  Hanging from a gargoyle gives you a position advantage to drop down without gliding in order to sneak up and do a silent takedown on someone.  It's also the only way to do an inverted takedown, which comes in handy when you're in a rush and need to escape really quick to other gargoyles.  The biggest thing that it will do for you, however, is give you yet another perspective to look at to see if jumping down if going to land you in the place you need to land if you do choose to drop down, glide, or whatever.  I tried two of the Extreme Predator challenges last night, and fuck me running!  The Extreme challenges IN GENERAL are tough as nails sometimes.  Shock and Awe Extreme is kicking my ass right now!!!  All the shock baton guys, all the knife guys, and you've gotta take 'em all down in a less than a minute on each round!!!  FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE!!! "

I'm pretty sure I've done inverted takedowns without hanging upside down, but it sounds like I'll be able to do it more often if I'm hanging, as I'll be closer to the thugs. Thanks for the info!
    JukeboxJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JukeboxJoe
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "Batman never looks cool. "

Get the fuck out of my life

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.