Goddamn Batman killed my PC

• 67 results
Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum on Steam. I got an error message saying that the "bmlauncher has stopped working". 
I've heard this is common for Windows 7 64bit so I ran it from the file location and managed to activate the serial number before it again said "bmlauncher has stopped working". 
I went to run it as administrator to see if that worked but when I right-clicked Windows Explorer crashed, then my PC blue screened, now it's giving me a "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter". I looked at the CMOS and it's not detecting my hard drive...great.
I've unplugged it and am leaving it for a few minutes to see if that helps. 

Anyone got any advice for either the Arkham Asylum "bmlauncher" or disk boot failure problems? 
It would be much appreciated.
#1 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum on Steam. I got an error message saying that the "bmlauncher has stopped working". 
I've heard this is common for Windows 7 64bit so I ran it from the file location and managed to activate the serial number before it again said "bmlauncher has stopped working". 
I went to run it as administrator to see if that worked but when I right-clicked Windows Explorer crashed, then my PC blue screened, now it's giving me a "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter". I looked at the CMOS and it's not detecting my hard drive...great.
I've unplugged it and am leaving it for a few minutes to see if that helps. 

Anyone got any advice for either the Arkham Asylum "bmlauncher" or disk boot failure problems? 
It would be much appreciated.
#2 Posted by Computerplayer1 (991 posts) -

Clearly, this is the work of Russian Martian Batman.

#3 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@Computerplayer1 said:
"Clearly, this is the work of Russian Martian Batman. "

damn the cold war invasion fleet
#4 Posted by Jimbo (9979 posts) -

Have you tried instering the system disk and pressing enter?

#5 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@Jimbo:
I shouldn't have to 
just trying all options first
#6 Posted by Aronman789 (2671 posts) -

Don't mess with Batman

#7 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
#8 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@Jack268:
pure awesome 

I bet this has something to do with The Joker's boner
#9 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Try resetting the CMOS. If you have a jumper button to reset, hit that. if you don't then just take out the battery and leave it for about a minute. Then put the battery back (in the same orientation it was in when you took it out of course). If that doesn't work try unplugging and then plugging in your hard drive's SATA cable. 

#10 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

Okay so after leaving it unplugged for a while and letting it power down I turned it back on and.... 
the circuit breaker tripped 
okay trying again and.... 
SUCCESS! 
it boots fine and detects my hard drive HUZZAH! 
Take that Batman, it seems the dynamic duo has been foiled by me 
MWAHAHAHA! 

ran batman as administrator and it says initializer for 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Manager' throws an exception and goes to the menu but goes back to the error message when I hit play. 

DAMN YOU BATMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!    
#11 Posted by Tordah (2487 posts) -

Always run Batman as administrator or he'll get mad and destroy your life.

#12 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

anyone have any help getting Batman running on Windows 7 64bit?
#13 Posted by Franstone (1154 posts) -

Runs fine for me in WIn7 64... 
Google
#14 Posted by ch3burashka (5238 posts) -

He strikes when you least expect it. 

#15 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Works fine for me on W7 64-bit. Try deleting the main application .exe and have steam reverify game cache. And yeah, definitely run everything as administrator (if in doubt, also remember to run with Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, accessible from the properties menu). 

#16 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Mars_Cleric:   It's possible that your Hard Drive is on its way out.  It also could be a RAM or BIOS issue, as faulty RAM can lead to data being written to the drive in an incorrect fashion and/or wrong location (ie, your bootsector being overwritten, which would explain why it doesn't boot).  The first thing I would do would be to check for a BIOS update (sometimes Motherboard manufacturers update BIOSes for better RAM compatibility and this might alleviate your problem) - most BIOSes will allow you to update from a USB stick, so check the Motherboard manufacturer's website for a more recent BIOS update using a different machine to download it and apply it on the machine which has the issue.   The next thing, once that's done is to go and grab a memtest86 bootable CD image and burn that then boot from it.  The test can take a while but at least you'll know what's causing the issue (if it is the RAM which is faulty) when it completes.  Finally, plug the hard drive back in and if it still says no OS detected (etc) then you may need to replace it.  Even if you do, you probably won't have lost all your data as often hard drives will not boot when they are on their way out but can be reconnected to another SATA or PATA port long enough to copy files from them.

IMPORTANT : If this is a Windows 7 machine, you could try booting from the Windows 7 CD and electing to do a Repair.  That may bring the machine back to a working state.
#17 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@Geno: 
I tried that, it still gives me the initializer for 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Manager' throws an exception message 

@SeriouslyNow:

Thanks for the advice. 
Thankfully leaving it unplugged for a while seemed to get it going again 

#18 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

This is getting annoying 
I've tried: 
updating drivers 
updating .NET framework 
updating DirectX 
checking game cache integrity 
running from the file location 
running as administrator 
running in compatability mode 

I don't know what to do it still won't open the launcher and it still gives me the 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Manager' error message 
CAN SOMEONE HELP?!   
#19 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

My grandpa's bmlauncher has stopped working the other day too.

#20 Posted by Rockdalf (1293 posts) -
@Mars_Cleric said:
" This is getting annoying I've tried: updating drivers updating .NET framework updating DirectX checking game cache integrity running from the file location running as administrator running in compatability mode  I don't know what to do it still won't open the launcher and it still gives me the 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Manager' error message CAN SOMEONE HELP?!    "
When all else fails, uninstall/redownload/reinstall. 

Have fun.
#21 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@Rockdalf:
It's 8GB though 
it's just really annoying, surely I'm not the only one to have this error
#22 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2690 posts) -
@Computerplayer1: 

Naw, im thinking regular ass batman. 
#23 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

You say that you got it from steam but does it support G4WL?

If it does you may need to install the latest version of the G4WL client from their website.

Maybe this helps, maybe not, best of luck

#24 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

@Mars_Cleric

said:

" @Rockdalf: It's 8GB though it's just really annoying, surely I'm not the only one to have this error "

It sucks, but something might not have downloaded correctly so even though the verifier didn't fix it for whatever reason, maybe re-downloading the whole thing might get it going agian.

You don't have fraps or EVGA precision running or anything like that by any chance? For some reason Just Cause 2 started crashing after I upgraded to Windows 7 and found out something was conflicting with EVGA Precision running in the background, so once I shut that down, all was well again. 

Hope that helps. No one should be deprived of their Batman.
#25 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85:  

I don't think so 
I may give in and try redownloading but I'm gonna try transfering it to my laptop and see if I get the same error 
Okay it runs on my laptop, what the hell 

@bio595:
yeah I got the latest version and still nothing :(  

If I can pass the specs by this much I should be able to play it

#26 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1927 posts) -
@Mars_Cleric said:
" anyone have any help getting Batman running on Windows 7 64bit? "
Sorry all I can offer is that I never had problems running the game myself in 7 64bit so it might be something other than the game that's causing your problems.
#27 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

Okay gonna try taking the working files off my laptop and try it on my PC
#28 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

Have you tried shining the bat signal into the sky?

#29 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -
@LunarAura said:
"

My grandpa's bmlauncher has stopped working the other day too.

"
lmfao you just made my day (night but whatever)
#30 Edited by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

No luck 
still get the same error message 
I think it's either: Windows 7, the fact that it's 64bit, the graphics card drivers, or directx 11 
Seriously considering partitioning my drive and setting up a "Batman Segment" running XP or Vista and try to get it working that way 

Edit: 
If I uninstall PhysX I get a different error message, I then get it to install the version of PhysX it wants and... 
I get the original error message 
POW! 
THWACK! 
GODDAMNITFUCKINGBATMANWORK!!!!
#31 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Mars_Cleric:  

ran fine for me on Win7 64x 
 pretty much like everyone said : you've tried doing everything on your own, now the only answer is google. every time you get a technical issue, there's bound to be someone else who had the same issue and made a thread about it on tech forums.. find that post and read people's responses, and you'll get your answer. 

if you dont, go on Eidos's and Steam's forums and complain or something
#32 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

I don't know what to do...
#33 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic:
I literally spent all day on google looking for an answer but after trying their solutions I've had no luck
#34 Edited by Victor17 (22 posts) -

might sound like a shot in the dark, but sometimes a defrag will fix gaming issues. Dirt 2 crashed my pc twice but after a defrag it was fine. Also when batman came out i played it no problems with 64 bit, i think that was Nvidia 190.xx or 195.xx drivers so maybe try those.

If you suspect physx you can try downloading the pc demo, it does not have physx. (i think its like a 2gb dl)

#35 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

It works perfectly for me, the steam version anyways. Hopefully you put in the right cd key or it might not work. I think it needs to authenticate it and if it's wrong, it won't work. Then again maybe there was an error on your hardrive and it's showing signs it's deteriorating, or else maybe it's something to do with games for windows live which you can test if you have other games with it. If not, i'm not sure, maybe check the steam forums, they usually try to troubleshoot problems there and look for solutions.

#36 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: 
I managed to get the cd authentication work earlier and it said it was fine, the hard drive isn't even a year old so I don't think it's deteriorating. GFWL works fine with RE5 and Dawn of War 2 so I don't think it's that. It's weird that it works on my 32bit Vista laptop.

@Victor17:

It didn't work with 190 whatever drivers so I upgraded to 260 whatever drivers. I'll try defragging it and see if that works, thanks for the tip
#37 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Mars_Cleric: Try one more solution then, do you have anything connected to the usb drives? I want you to disconnect everything you can disconnect, like usb memory cards, controllers, external hardrives, things like that and try it again.
#38 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:
disconnected all usb devices even tried it in offline mode 
no luck 
I'm thinking maybe it's a software issue either something I have or don't have that is screwing with it 
maybe it's because I have directx 11 on my PC , maybe that makes it not work
#39 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Mars_Cleric: No it's not that because I also have DX11 on my pc, windows 7 and stuff. 

I'm out of solutions, how much googling have you done on the problem? Hopefully you will find a solution that works.
#40 Edited by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:
it gives me a message that says initializer for 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Manager' throws an exception   

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately."
"Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D,version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system can't find the specified file."

that's why I thought it was a directx problem 
I have done an abundance of googling
#41 Posted by badwhodo (248 posts) -
@Mars_Cleric: did you try reinstalling DX11?
#42 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

hmm apparently my laptop is running DX11 and it works on there so now I have no idea 
sadface
#43 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@badwhodo:
I didn't know you could do that
#44 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Mars_Cleric said:
" @badwhodo: I didn't know you could do that "
google dxwebsetup

take the first link from Microsoft.  Reinstall.  Done.
#45 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow:
i tried that before, the install fails 
checking the error log it says it's because the version I have is more recent 
I don't think there's a way to actually reinstall it
#46 Posted by badwhodo (248 posts) -
#47 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@badwhodo: 
 Downloaded it, ran it, failed 
message in the error file is: 

11/07/10 22:04:17: infinst: Target file: 'C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_30.dll'
 Target file is Version 9.12.589.0
 Source file is Version 9.12.589.0
11/07/10 22:04:17: infinst: Currently C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_30.dll is newer than the one being installed.    
#48 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

It's like it doesn't want me to play it
#49 Posted by badwhodo (248 posts) -

its odd to me that it just fails.  it shouldn't do that. 
have you ran any memory tests or disk checks?

#50 Posted by Raakill (845 posts) -

I ran it on Win7 64 bit without a hitch. Bionic Commando Rearmed acted similar to what your going through. After a couple days pulling my hair out it turned out it was a particular video codec (can't remember exactly which one) from the Win7 Shark codec pack.  

(You've likely seen these already in your own searches.)
This guy seems convinced it's Securom
This guy says Realtek audio hates Batman. 
Seems AVG antivirus is a possible culprit too. 

Hope you get it working, it's a great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.