Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

Hey, should I get Batman?

• 84 results
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By schizogony

You know, that really good one from last year.  I never played more than the demo.  Why didn't I ever buy this game?  It seems great. 

Should I go get it right now?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ineedaname

Yes.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By schizogony

First I was like wait wut then I was like oh lol.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

Yes...right now. Take your laptop with you. I want to be with you every step.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By raiz265

Right now.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By schizogony

We're in this together now till the end.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By schizogony

I didn't post SHIT twice, MattyFTM.  That's your beloved POS site making me look bad.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ineedaname

I REGRET NOTHING.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By guiseppe

Yes, go get it.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By CaptainObvious

BUY IT NOW IF YOU WANT TO LIVE!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust
    @schizogony:  

you don't get Batman, Batman gets you! 

That said, what are you waiting for? :P
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By schizogony

I feel like I want someone to come in here and tell me how bad it is and how it's not worth my, like, $35 or so. 

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By teptom

Why even ask?  

GET IT.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gizmo

I bought it yesterday and have been thoroughly enjoying it since. I got it for £17 from Amazon.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Oh yeah. Buy it. You'll like it.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Ryax

dude. fuck this game. i beat it in like 5 hours. its boring as fuck and easy as shit.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @schizogony: right fucking now!
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By jonnyboy

No. Save your money, by a Batman costume, fight real crimes.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By schizogony

I can get it for $35 NOW or I can pay just about the same price to sign up for GameFly, rent it, use "Keep it" and have a month of game renting (probably 3 or 4 games rented).   

Do I give in to my impatience and just get it now or wait for GameFly which would basically mean I get the game AND a month of rentals?

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By schizogony
    @Ryax said:
    " dude. fuck this game. i beat it in like 5 hours. its boring as fuck and easy as shit. "
    Yes, this is what I need! 

So, like, once it's over, I'm not gonna wanna go back a second time?  What about challenge rooms or whatever they're called?  What about playing it on hard for the Achievement?
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By damswedon

Yes! it is the best representation of Batman in a loooooooong time.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Rockdalf
    @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    " dude. fuck this game. i beat it in like 5 hours. its boring as fuck and easy as shit. "
    Yes, this is what I need!  So, like, once it's over, I'm not gonna wanna go back a second time?  What about challenge rooms or whatever they're called?  What about playing it on hard for the Achievement? "
    I rented it, but I would buy it right now on a whim, it's a really solid game based on a REALLY solid IP.  It's got everything for fans and newcomers to batman, as well as run and gunners and stealth gamers.  If I could say anything bad about the game, there isn't enough rainbows I guess.

Also, play through on Hard the first time.  Yes you will get your ass kicked, so be it, but it's a lot better than getting used to some of the combat warnings in Normal only to have them stripped away on Hard.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ryax
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    Yes, this is what I need!  So, like, once it's over, I'm not gonna wanna go back a second time?  What about challenge rooms or whatever they're called?  What about playing it on hard for the Achievement? "
    I rented it, but I would buy it right now on a whim, it's a really solid game based on a REALLY solid IP.  It's got everything for fans and newcomers to batman, as well as run and gunners and stealth gamers.  If I could say anything bad about the game, there isn't enough rainbows I guess.  Also, play through on Hard the first time.  Yes you will get your ass kicked, so be it, but it's a lot better than getting used to some of the combat warnings in Normal only to have them stripped away on Hard. "
    dude i was joking. get this game. best batman game ive ever played.
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BaneFireLord

YES! Buy it immediately! I thought it sounded awful at first, then borrowed it from a friend....that is one damned impressive game.

marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By marrec

Nope, wait for it to go on sale again, cause it always goes on sale.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BaneFireLord
    @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    I've played it through twice and I really want to go back for a third time, but I've felt like I should finish a few other games first.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By GunstarRed

download the demo.... and then buy it immediately
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By schizogony

I have been giving serious considering to playing through on hard the first time (for the Achievement, for the challenge and for stretching out the length of the game).  I will do this.  I like the removal of the thingies over bad guys' heads when they're about to attack. 

As for the IP, I've always had a passing interest in Batman but never been what you'd call a "fan."   However, within the last week or so, something kind of clicked and all of a sudden I find myself craving Batman stuff.  I'm reading some of the more poignant comics (Year One, Killing Joke, Hush, etc.) and watching YouTubes of the old (crap) games starring Batman.  I'm 28 and kinda sorta JUST NOW became a real fan of Batman (the only other time in my life where I'd consider myself a fan being during the original run of The Animated Series 20 years ago).   

@marioncobretti said: 

" download the demo.... and then buy it immediately "

I've played through it like 5 times now.  
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By schizogony
    @Ryax said:
    " @Rockdalf said:
    " @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    I rented it, but I would buy it right now on a whim, it's a really solid game based on a REALLY solid IP.  It's got everything for fans and newcomers to batman, as well as run and gunners and stealth gamers.  If I could say anything bad about the game, there isn't enough rainbows I guess.  Also, play through on Hard the first time.  Yes you will get your ass kicked, so be it, but it's a lot better than getting used to some of the combat warnings in Normal only to have them stripped away on Hard. "
    dude i was joking. get this game. best batman game ive ever played. "
    DAMMIT 

I really needed some haters to thwart my money spending.  I shouldn't be doing this.  I'M POOR!
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ryax
    @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    " @Rockdalf said:
    " @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    DAMMIT  I really needed some haters to thwart my money spending.  I shouldn't be doing this.  I'M POOR! "
    no ones gonna hate on an awesome game. it really is one of the best batmans around
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By schizogony

^ Batman: Haterproof Edition 

Has anyone played it in 3D yet? 

I suppose I should go on the actual board for this game and ask.

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By mubblegum

Pay the money for it. Do it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    " @Rockdalf said:
    " @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    DAMMIT  I really needed some haters to thwart my money spending.  I shouldn't be doing this.  I'M POOR! "  
    I'm poorer than you. Just be glad you have $35 and go blow it like a real American already! (If not American, insert proper country  :P)
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By schizogony

Well...@JJWeatherman said:

" @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    " @Rockdalf said:
    " @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    I'm poorer than you. Just be glad you have $35 and go blow it like a real American already! (If not American, insert proper country  :P) "
    Actually... I kind of don't have even that much.  I'd be *cringes* trading games to GameStop for credit.  I never do this.  I never EVER do this.  But I want this game right now.  I'd be losing Red Dead Redemption, Red Faction Guerrilla and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.  

This is why I'm so torn.  But I've played the HECK out of RDR and tire of it.  I can always buy it again someday. 
    Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Do not get batman. Seriously, that shit stings, and the medicine you have to rub down there only makes it worse.

Ghostfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ghostfish

Arkham Asylum's pretty much a must-play.  Get it.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By ectoplasma

So, if you wanna get your mood chilled: I think it's overrated. The game itself is good but not amazing. The stealth game play is fun, the boss battles are fun and varied but those are the best parts of the game. The beat em up gameplay is OK, the jumping puzzles are meh. The rest is just push button then progress gameplay disguised as "puzzles". The game basically tells u all the time what to do without any need to think, it's like Fable's golden bread crumb trails just it's fitted into the fiction - bored the hell out of me. The Riddler riddles are a nice touch but the writing in general is only mediocre at best. Also, I should use the word gameplay more often. 

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Rockdalf
    @ectoplasma said:
    " So, if you wanna get your mood chilled: I think it's overrated. The game itself is good but not amazing. The stealth game play is fun, the boss battles are fun and varied but those are the best parts of the game. The beat em up gameplay is OK, the jumping puzzles are meh. The rest is just push button then progress gameplay disguised as "puzzles". The game basically tells u all the time what to do without any need to think, it's like Fable's golden bread crumb trails just it's fitted into the fiction - bored the hell out of me. The Riddler riddles are a nice touch but the writing in general is only mediocre at best. Also, I should use the word gameplay more often.  "
    Stop lying to this man.  In all seriousness though, wait till you have the money and rent it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gameplay is as engaging as you make it. 

It was just button-mashing for me before I unlocked the combo multiplier thing that doubled my multiplier each time I attacked at the right moment. Suddenly, the game just clicked and became a sublime experience. It just felt so good chaining well-timed attacks together. 

Stealth was also cool, although it didn't click as much with me. I enjoyed preying on the guys, but found it best just to keep doing inverted takedowns. 

The challenge rooms are an anomaly because they actually provide more enjoyment for when you play the story mode. Once the rooms "force" you to do innovative stuff, you find that it's fun and begin doing it when playing the story. Unfortunately, most people probably won't play the challenge rooms until after beating the game. The story itself hardly ever forces you to do all the cool stuff you can do. 

In conclusion, buy this game.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @schizogony said:
    " Well...@JJWeatherman said:
    " @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    " @Rockdalf said:
    " @schizogony said:
    " @Ryax said:
    I'm poorer than you. Just be glad you have $35 and go blow it like a real American already! (If not American, insert proper country  :P) "
    Actually... I kind of don't have even that much.  I'd be *cringes* trading games to GameStop for credit.  I never do this.  I never EVER do this.  But I want this game right now.  I'd be losing Red Dead Redemption, Red Faction Guerrilla and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.   This is why I'm so torn.  But I've played the HECK out of RDR and tire of it.  I can always buy it again someday.  "
    Baaah! Don't do it man! You'll regret it! 

But it's true, you CAN always rebuy the games later when you're rich and famous. But at that point you'll have to settle for an old busted used copy. It depends on how you feel about collecting games. If it's important to you, than I say hold off on buying the game. If collecting isn't so important to you and you just wanna buy an old used version later if you feel the urge, then sure go ahead and trade. 
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42  Edited By mrhankey
    @Ineedaname said:
    " Yes. "
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By schizogony
    @CrossTheAtlantic said:
    " Do not get batman. Seriously, that shit stings, and the medicine you have to rub down there only makes it worse. "  
    I am  beleive this are joeks.  

@ectoplasma
    said:
    " So, if you wanna get your mood chilled: I think it's overrated. The game itself is good but not amazing. The stealth game play is fun, the boss battles are fun and varied but those are the best parts of the game. The beat em up gameplay is OK, the jumping puzzles are meh. The rest is just push button then progress gameplay disguised as "puzzles". The game basically tells u all the time what to do without any need to think, it's like Fable's golden bread crumb trails just it's fitted into the fiction - bored the hell out of me. The Riddler riddles are a nice touch but the writing in general is only mediocre at best. Also, I should use the word gameplay more often.  "
    Hmmmmmmmmm...... 

Hmm....   

Well, your high points sound great, game-selling almost.  Your lower points have me thinking.  I'm thinking hard.  I'm asking myself if the atmosphere Rocksteady created is immersive and encapsulating enough to overcome these meh-ish exercises in near-tedium.  I despise the Fable games (and immediately turned off bread crumbs in Fable II upon initial boot, before returning the game to GameStop the next day of course). 

The writing's mediocrity, is it at least "there" enough to couple with the solid atmosphere and push-button-to-progress-ish gameplay and give birth to an experience that will have me returning time and time again as an escape?  Can I LIVE in this world sometimes when I'm bored with real life?  What the hell is this paragraph ?  I'm high on caffeine right now.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By yakov456

The game is fantastic. I rented it and to be honest, when I first started to play it I did not like it at all. It felt like a ps2 game to me. But as you progress the game really steps it up, and it's a very rewarding experience. Buy it!

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BaneFireLord

Oh, and here's the final selling point: MARK HAMILL. MARK MOTHERF*CKING HAMILL. Need I say more?

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FlyingRat
    @ectoplasma said:
    You sir, are a madman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mediocre writing? I dunno, the ABSOLUTELY MINDBLOWING voice acting covered up any lame writing for me... 

Seriously. 

The Joker. Mark Hamill. He has some of the best lines in a video game ever.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By schizogony
    @Keenblaze said:
    " The gameplay is as engaging as you make it.  It was just button-mashing for me before I unlocked the combo multiplier thing that doubled my multiplier each time I attacked at the right moment. Suddenly, the game just clicked and became a sublime experience. It just felt so good chaining well-timed attacks together.  Stealth was also cool, although it didn't click as much with me. I enjoyed preying on the guys, but found it best just to keep doing inverted takedowns.  The challenge rooms are an anomaly because they actually provide more enjoyment for when you play the story mode. Once the rooms "force" you to do innovative stuff, you find that it's fun and begin doing it when playing the story. Unfortunately, most people probably won't play the challenge rooms until after beating the game. The story itself hardly ever forces you to do all the cool stuff you can do.  In conclusion, buy this game. "
    The combat in the demo does seem like it sets up a base for what becomes a very sublime, timing-focused and rhythmic thing.  It's good to hear that one can choose to take the combat beyond mere mashing and inject some skill and even something akin to a musicality--a veritable percussive dance--into it, garnering a pleasure something like that of a fighting game when you pull of a badass combo (uh, or something like that).  You say it's what I make it?  I want to make it a beautiful ballet of beating and bruising. 

I'm especially looking forward to challenge rooms.
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By schizogony
    @BaneFireLord said:

" Oh, and here's the final selling point: MARK HAMILL. MARK MOTHERF*CKING HAMILL. Need I say more? "

@Keenblaze said:

" Mediocre writing? I dunno, the ABSOLUTELY MINDBLOWING voice acting covered up any lame writing for me...  Seriously.  The Joker. Mark Hamill. He has some of the best lines in a video game ever. "

Mark Hamill's Joker is my favorite Joker.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.