How do you do the combat challenges?

#1 Edited by Pie (7099 posts) -

Im aiming for all the achievments in this game and apart from the beating a beast in hand to hand combat all I have left are the combat challenges. I realize that to get three medals on them you have to have a flawless free flow combo in all four rounds but how are you supposed to do that on the "rumble in the jungle extreme" map? I cant even get 1 medal on that map let alone three!
I just remebered that I still have that flawlees all moves in one combo achievment left but ill be able to do  that.

#2 Posted by jakob187 (21675 posts) -

You don't need flawless rounds in all of them.  LOL  You just need to take advantage of the points.  I'm still learning how to pull off the points totals for the Extremes, as they have a ton more enemies going in them.  Regardless, a couple of tips: 

Variation Bonus - use everything you've got in one combo: punch, counter, dodge, stun, throw, takedown, batarang.  That alone is 2000 additional points at the end of each round. 

Perfects for First Rounds - get used to the idea that you will NOT be getting perfect rounds past the first one of any round.  The first rounds are usually about four to six guys, and they can easily be done with a good variation bonus and a perfect round.  With a x7 Variation, Dark Knight Bonus for not getting hit, and a Freeflow Bonus for completing the round in one complete combo, that's an additional 3500 points in total.  After that, just try to get some good 10x combos going, and then make sure you bust a takedown in some fashion.  Takedowns are worth 100 points, so with the combo multiplier at 10, that's 1000 points for each takedown. 

Pace Yourself - in the Extremes, this can be a bit difficult, but you've got a dodge that can extend your combo time, as well as a stun attack.  I will use the dodge to readjust my camera for a good view, then start going again.  Throws are also your best friend, as they give you a good 2 seconds or so to survey the enemies left over so you can continue your combo fluidly. 

As for the Titans on Rumble in the Jungle, the best thing that I've found is to blast through a few normal enemies, then once that Titan charges at you, beat the shit out of him and deal with whatever counters you need in the process.  Be light on your attack button so you can quickly counter if you need.  Once you are on his back, though...man, you can rack up a HUGE combo and TONS of points. 

The Combat challenges frustrate the FUCK out of me sometimes.  It's fine though. 

Also, for that Freeflow Perfection challenge, the list above is what will get it for you.  Thanks to Vinchenzo for pointing that out to me.  I kept forgetting the Batarang.  You should be able to get it done on the first part of Intensive Treatment Extreme.  That's how I did it last night.

#3 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -
@jakob187: I really have to get down pulling off all moves in one then... I can only really get 100 bonus varitaion points.....
#4 Posted by CrazySunshine (38 posts) -
@jakob187: You forgot evading which brings the Variation bonus to 3500
#5 Posted by jakob187 (21675 posts) -
@CrazySunshine said:
" @jakob187: You forgot evading which brings the Variation bonus to 3500 "
?!  Evading?  Um...you mean double-hitting A?  That's what I meant by dodging...or is there something else I don't know?
#6 Posted by CrazySunshine (38 posts) -

I guess I didn't read it well enough. Double-tapping RT for the Batclaw is whats missing and brings it up to 3500

#7 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -

I managed to do the free flow perfection achievment but still only have 19 medals.......(that includes two from the special downloadable one that comes with the special edition that I hope counts)

#8 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Pie said:
" I managed to do the free flow perfection achievment but still only have 19 medals.......(that includes two from the special downloadable one that comes with the special edition that I hope counts) "
What's your point? Free flow perfection doesn't = instant 24 medals. You need to get 3 medals on every challenge map.
#9 Posted by CrazySunshine (38 posts) -

if downloadable challenges don't have medals, they don't count. I can only speak for the Scarecrow maps in that those don't have medals.

#10 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Pie said:
" I managed to do the free flow perfection achievment but still only have 19 medals.......(that includes two from the special downloadable one that comes with the special edition that I hope counts) "
What's your point? Free flow perfection doesn't = instant 24 medals. You need to get 3 medals on every challenge map. "
Youve misread that. It was meant as a general update
#11 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -
@CrazySunshine said:
" if downloadable challenges don't have medals, they don't count. I can only speak for the Scarecrow maps in that those don't have medals. "
The limited edition one does thoug so.........
#12 Posted by CrazySunshine (38 posts) -

Only one way to find out then, I guess.

#13 Posted by JukeboxJoe (242 posts) -

I'm terrible at the Challenge Maps. On the combat rooms my highest score is only 5350 or something similar. Need more practice
#14 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -

Mano-o-mano is done now

#15 Posted by GrrSnort (6 posts) -

Correction on the Variation Bonus: If you can work EVERY move into one combo, not only will it score you 5000 points for the round, but you'll get an achievement/trophy for your work.  That requires that you do: Stun, Jump over a thug, Batarang, Batline, Throw, Instant Takedown, and a Ground Takedown.  I managed to get this one in the first Sewer Bat Challenge room with just 4 thugs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.