How often are you in detective mode?

#1 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

I feel like one of the few that use it rarely.
#2 Posted by Crono11 (1651 posts) -

I find myself to always be in detective mode. At least the game still looks good when everything has a bluey tint to it. (btw freaks and geeks rocks)
#3 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I have it on all the time. Except when fighting, that's the only time it's off.

#4 Posted by HatKing (6114 posts) -

I hate having it on, but it seems like it is needed most of the time so usually I keep it on.  I try to turn it off for fights, because I think it looks better without it, but sometimes I don't get the chance.
#5 Posted by Clean (2359 posts) -

I have it on all the time. I call it Splinter Cell mode.

#6 Posted by SUBL1ME (116 posts) -

I hate having it on as I really hate the way it looks, but since I'm trying to get the Perfect Knight trophy I only take it off during combat. I don't want to miss a thing.

#7 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

I only use it when I'm lost, or when in a stealth section. Though I often forget to turn it off until I start beating up on x-rayed skeletons.

#8 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

I hate having it on. but i use it quite a bit. I dont use it in fights though.

#9 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

At least half the time, it would have been better if they integrated it into your view without it changing the entire look of the game.

#10 Posted by Bonuslevel (10 posts) -

Almost always on, since I often forget to turn it off in fights.

I hate it, cause it's a waste of beautiful graphics, but not as much as I hated the similar view in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". That really was a pain in your eyes.

#11 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

I was in the mode a lot, always looking to see if I could find a riddle, or a wall that could be blasted down (for an easy trophy). Sometimes I forget to turn it off when I'm fighting. Doesn't really matter that much, though.

#12 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

Nearly all the time, I'll turn it off a lot so I can enjoy the environment though.

#13 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Over half the time.  It's too important.  Otherwise you miss things like Riddler maps or other pickups, you miss walls you can blast too much...  It's a shame it takes away from the visual quality and atmosphere.  Would have been better if it was an effect that added to it, like the flashlight in Shadow Complex.

#14 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

It is on most of the time, actually. I intentionally turn it off to enjoy the graphics and fights but when I am running around and, of course, detecting stuff, it is on. It also looks awesome.

#15 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

70% of the time

#16 Posted by hughesie27 (193 posts) -

a lot!

#17 Posted by John_Bender (99 posts) -

I just use it to scope out the place, then stealth up to the fools a choke them out

#18 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

Roughly 40% of the time.

#19 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

60% of the time.

#20 Posted by Hassebla (28 posts) -

On medium, almost only in predator rooms. But when I went for the riddles I had it on quite alot. On hard however, I had it on like 80% of the time.

#21 Posted by ProjektGill (753 posts) -

I used it mostly to see if the lunatics were in the area because I hated getting ambushed, and it made a lot of vents a lot easier to spot.

#22 Posted by Meptron (1113 posts) -
@Diamond: true enough. but some games do it worse. metroid prime for example.
#23 Posted by spankingaddict (2740 posts) -

a lot

#24 Posted by mark2000 (111 posts) -

60 - 70% of the time. The X-Ray vision helps but the lack of colors made it hard for me to navigate properly a bit during my first playthrough. It's also pretty difficult to observe enemies through multiple levels of a room so I have to occasionally turn it off just to be sure I'm looking at a bad guy instead of an empty floor. In fact, I'm pretty much turning it on and off most of the time and the sudden white flash it does is actually starting to annoy me now. Good thing I'm not an epileptic or else I would've been hospitalized the first day I played this game.

I honestly don't have a problem with detective vision except that stupid white flash every time I change views.

#25 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3715 posts) -

Almost half of that game I was in DMode.

#26 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

I'd say around 30%.

#27 Posted by Cod3r (21 posts) -

I remember being over 60% of the game in detective mode, don't know why though. =]

#28 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I'm usually in Detective Mode for most of the time.  When I'm fighting, I'll take it off, or if I've already got a bearing on the sitchoo, sometimes I'll take it off just to get a good looks at some of the environments.  Otherwise, there's just too much helpful information displayed for me to take it off.
#29 Edited by yevinorion (710 posts) -

My first playthough I had it on around 40% of the time. Used it very frequently, but in subsequent playthroughs where I already know where all the riddles and such are I only turn it on when I really need it which is mainly on predator sections.

In all honesty, you really miss a lot when you have it off as far as the visual mood and ambiance of the game. I had it on so much on my first playthrough that I was a good bit through the later part before I realized it had all gone pinky/red. :P It really helps the atmosphere to turn it off. Trust me.

#30 Posted by Snipper138 (351 posts) -

i only have it off when im in combat or there is some impressive scenery

#31 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Almost constantly.  Again, I turned it off during combat or when I got to a new area and wanted to see some of the scenary..  But for the majority of the time it needs to be on.  Either to see where enemies are, finding your way to the next objective or solving the Riddler puzzles.  And say it was one of the only bad points about the game, I do like the idea, but the fact it needs to be on 90% of the time kind of ruins things.

Hopefully it can be streamlined for the sequel.

#32 Posted by Brockly46 (645 posts) -

I have it on all the time now looking for all those damn riddler trophys

#33 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4899 posts) -

I try to have it on as little as possible.

#34 Posted by AlKusanagi (994 posts) -

I use always use it except for when I'm in combat. I'm honestly surprised that it didn't have some kind of battery/energy meter for it that seems to be all the rage for ultra-useful accessorizes these days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.