Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

I am sick of stuff going through other stuff

mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mugugipan

If you don't know how to use unreal engine 3, than don't use it. This game is a bigger offender than RE5. 

However, this is the demo, so we'll have to see what happens in the real game.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By SpecTackle

You mean clipping? It happens... very few games have it completely ironed out.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By EvilTwin

How do you know the clipping would be any better with any other engine anyways?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By vaiz
    @ColumnBreaker said:
    " You mean clipping? It happens... very few games have it completely ironed out. "
    What this guy said, basically. Clipping will probably be a problem in games for a very long time to come. When it comes down to it, all the physics and collision engines in the world can't change the fact that it's only just a simulation and the objects are still pixels floating around in a digital environment, not physical objects. Mistakes will be made.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Griddler

Its not exactly the worst offender, there are games that have it a lot worse.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

It's not even that bad..

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By cloneslayer

have fun not playing any 3d game ever!

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By artofwar420

Yeah, I really don't know of any 3d games that don't have any clipping.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SpecTackle

I think Fight Night is the franchise with the best collision detection so far. Other than that, no games come to mind that have a remarkable way of dealing with it.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Drebin_893

Clipping? That's by no means exclusive to Unreal Engine 3. 

Also, this game has taken me by suprise. I played the demo and loved it so, so much.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By ArcBorealis

Clipping. It's defintetly not going away soon, so might as well deal with it. Not many games (or any of that I know) have gotten past this problem.  

Besides, the only noticeable clipping problem was the cape, and that didn't ruin the demo for me, and it sure won't ruin the full game.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @mugugipan said:
    " If you don't know how to use unreal engine 3, than don't use it. This game is a bigger offender than RE5.   However, this is the demo, so we'll have to see what happens in the real game. "
    You have a way with words.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By suneku

I barely even noticed it. There have been games with far worse clipping that didn't use UE3.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By mordukai
    @Cloneslayer said:
    " have fun not playing any 3d game ever! "
    Pretty much this. 
    mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By mugugipan
    @Drebin_893 said:
    " Clipping? That's by no means exclusive to Unreal Engine 3.  Also, this game has taken me by suprise. I played the demo and loved it so, so much. "
    It was a freaking good demo, and I wasn't bashing UE3. Just third parties that use it and have a ton of problem with it. The guys heads were going through walls. I dropped a guy near the first guard that the joker dropped and he went through him. The cap then started to go through guys and walls. I also found it way too linked to the comics. A lot of people are not going to know who oracle is. The action was kick ass though. Pretty freaking amazing!!!
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic

what's clipping?
    cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cloneslayer
    @mugugipan said:

" @Drebin_893 said:

" Clipping? That's by no means exclusive to Unreal Engine 3.  Also, this game has taken me by suprise. I played the demo and loved it so, so much. "
    It was a freaking good demo, and I wasn't bashing UE3. Just third parties that use it and have a ton of problem with it. The guys heads were going through walls. I dropped a guy near the first guard that the joker dropped and he went through him. The cap then started to go through guys and walls. I also found it way too linked to the comics. A lot of people are not going to know who oracle is. The action was kick ass though. Pretty freaking amazing!!! "
    how can you complain about Oracle? its awesome that they are throwing in things that are lesser known, I was shocked. Hell I hope Nightwing shows up as at least a skin no that I know what general part of the time line it take place in.
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rockanomics
    @mugugipan said:

"I also found it way too linked to the comics. A lot of people are not going to know who oracle is. The action was kick ass though. Pretty freaking amazing!!!"

Well they do give you character bios the instant you hear a character mentioned. Also I noticed no clipping.

I did notice a lack of physics, I threw batarangs at most everything in that room and nothing reacted except for monitor screens busting (only the big ones mind you).

Nothing really important, but it does make me wonder what the PhysX stuff is all about.
    Protoroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Protoroll
    @Cloneslayer said:
    " @mugugipan said:

" @Drebin_893 said:

It was a freaking good demo, and I wasn't bashing UE3. Just third parties that use it and have a ton of problem with it. The guys heads were going through walls. I dropped a guy near the first guard that the joker dropped and he went through him. The cap then started to go through guys and walls. I also found it way too linked to the comics. A lot of people are not going to know who oracle is. The action was kick ass though. Pretty freaking amazing!!! "
    how can you complain about Oracle? its awesome that they are throwing in things that are lesser known, I was shocked. Hell I hope Nightwing shows up as at least a skin no that I know what general part of the time line it take place in. "
    Yeah when I played the demo I was like "who the hell is Oracle". Then I read the bio and I was like "HOLY SHIT I DID NOT KNOW THAT HAD HAPPENED!!!" My knowledge of Batman only extends to the cartoons, so it was a pleasant surprise to me. If anyone can give me an update on what is going on in the universe that would be nice. I know the whole thing about Bruce stuck in some weird dimension and someone else is Batman now, but just an update on some of the major characters from the cartoon.  
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpecTackle
    @Rockanomics said:

" @mugugipan said:

"I also found it way too linked to the comics. A lot of people are not going to know who oracle is. The action was kick ass though. Pretty freaking amazing!!!"

Well they do give you character bios the instant you hear a character mentioned. Also I noticed no clipping.  I did notice a lack of physics, I threw batarangs at most everything in that room and nothing reacted except for monitor screens busting (only the big ones mind you).   Nothing really important, but it does make me wonder what the PhysX stuff is all about. "
    Physx adds a decent layer of visual polish. The part where you're supposed to save the guard from being executed, if you decide to glide kick the guy freaking out from one of the gargoyles you'll land hard enough on the tile floor he's standing on and shatter a bunch of it. There's cloth pieces like banners hanging from rafters here and there that are completely gone with physx disabled. They don't do anything mechanically but like I said, it just adds a nice layer of polish on top of the already great looking textures and models. There's also fog and steam and papers flying around the hallways at times. 

Here's a decent video showcasing the physx functionality in the demo:

Clearly Dynamic Paper is the future. ;)
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422
    @mugugipan said:

" If you don't know how to use unreal engine 3, than don't use it. This game is a bigger offender than RE5.   However, this is the demo, so we'll have to see what happens in the real game. "

Clipping happens in plenty of games..not just UE3, even though I find UE3 utter shit. I think Batman:AA turned out pretty good visually, it has a mix of realistic kinda condemned dark feel, with a comic sort of presentation in a lot of the characters. If this bothers you so much though, don't think for a second it won't be in the full game, delayed till 2010 or not, games rarely if ever change any real things from their demos.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By c1337us

You got to be realistic and expect some. But that doesnt mean if it is real bad it should be excused. I have yet to play the demo, I think I will just wait for the whole game to come out.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scooper
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" what's clipping? "

"I am sick of stuff going through other stuff"
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

That video with the physx implementation just screams lazy to me...

Why is there no steam at all, or any spark particles (the first instance, there are some in the second) with it off? What about people with an ATI gpu? I have NVIDIA so I could run this (if I was interested in getting it) but they shouldn't ride on physx and half ass the game for people without. When did they stop putting physics calculations on the cpu, especially now that we have multiple cores, in order to solely rely on physx? Removing particles and effects when they don't have the physics available? Why not have some eye candy that simply isn't as reactive? Lazy...

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Drebin_893

I also just want to say that I think this game looks really, really nice.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpecTackle

I decided to make a short video of my favorite part with the physx stuff from the demo which was the tile floor exploding on impact. I'm kinda hoping there's more destruction like this through out the game, adds to the feeling of being one powerful dude. Oh.. and sorry for thread hijacking, OP. Please don't hit me.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By torus

At this point I would like to point out that 'clipping' does not refer to collision errors (at least in computer graphics). It refers to the culling of polygons that are obscured from view.

Avatar image for jerryvanasperen
    Jerryvanasperen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jerryvanasperen

Putting stuff in other stuff...
     SUP DAWG, WE HEARD YOU LIKE GAMES, SO WE PUT A GAME IN YOUR GAME SO YOU CAN PLAY WHILE YOU PLAY. 

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SpecTackle
    @torus said:
    " At this point I would like to point out that 'clipping' does not refer to collision errors (at least in computer graphics). It refers to the culling of polygons that are obscured from view. "
    Right, but clipping can be remedied by proper collision detection.
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By torus
    @ColumnBreaker said:
    " @torus said:
    " At this point I would like to point out that 'clipping' does not refer to collision errors (at least in computer graphics). It refers to the culling of polygons that are obscured from view. "
    Right, but clipping can be remedied by proper collision detection. "
    Huh? The word 'clipping' is an optimization technique that has nothing to do with physics collisions. It's a misnomer.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @Fezz said:
    " I didn't even notice it. "
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SpecTackle
    @torus said:
    " @ColumnBreaker said:
    " @torus said:
    Right, but clipping can be remedied by proper collision detection. "
    Huh? The word 'clipping' is an optimization technique that has nothing to do with physics collisions. It's a misnomer. "
    I'm aware that the term isn't proper, but it's generally understood among game enthusiast circles as when a model in game 'clips' or goes through another object/character model or environmental model in a game. I did misunderstand the second part of your post though, so forgive me.
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bicycleham

Clipping has been in nearly every game. Whether it's been noticeable or not. But I do have to say, I've had a lot of problems mainly with the UE3 engine and clipping. But really, I hardly notice it when I'm getting shot or beaten to death in the game.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Baillie

Is this PhysX stull in the console versions?

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SpecTackle
    @Baillie said:
    " Is this PhysX stull in the console versions? "
    No.
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By torus
    @ColumnBreaker: It's a common misnomer that comes from the fact that the no-collision cvar in some classic Id title (I forget which) was called noclip. I'm not sure why they called it that, but people took the word 'clip' to mean collision detection. To use 'clipping' to mean a LACK of proper collision detection is almost doubly-wrong.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SpecTackle
    @torus said:
    " @ColumnBreaker: It's a common misnomer that comes from the fact that the no-collision cvar in some classic Id title (I forget which) was called noclip. I'm not sure why they called it that, but people took the word 'clip' to mean collision detection. To use 'clipping' to mean a LACK of proper collision detection is almost doubly-wrong. "
    I'm not arguing the validity of the word usage. As I said, I know it's not a proper use of the word. It's just easier to communicate using the terminology a culture understands, even if it's incorrect.
    alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By alexl86

Well, yes, third party developers will have a problem adjusting to an engine made by someone else, but I think a lot of the stories about UE3 stems from Midways decision to force it on all their developers, which seems like a very odd decision for a publisher to make. But yeah, clipping will be ever present in 3D games, at least for a long, long time to come.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By demontium
    @Al3xand3r: Its BS, but remember its only a demo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.