Just started Arkham Asylum. Cant see what the fuss is about.

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by stevemanu (90 posts) -

So yeah I'm around the part where you just breakout out of the prison and see the island for the first time. The combat is ok in my opinion and the characters are probably what are keeping me playing not the gameplay.  So my question is, does it get better? I mean all I have done so far i either just walk up behind dudes and press triangle or just mash square and do a few throws.  Feels a bit 'meh' to me. But hopefully it gets better, it does get better.....Right?

#2 Posted by JoeyRavn (4977 posts) -

I don' really understand how you can judge a game having "just" started it. But yes, it does get better once you start having better gadgets and you start roaming around more diverse settings. The game is amazing from start to finish if you ask me, though.

#3 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I didn't get it at first either. I stopped playing and then came back months later. I played straight through without stopping.

#4 Posted by CornBREDX (5392 posts) -

I agree with Joey.

To the OP, though, yes- stick with it. It gets better. Only disappointment will be a couple boss battles but for me that doesn't ruin the overall package.

#5 Edited by agentboolen (1791 posts) -

Keep playing it should eventually hit you like a 500Ib gorilla!!

#6 Posted by Marz (5655 posts) -

i guess you haven't gotten to the Scarecrow part :)

#7 Posted by FreakAche (2954 posts) -

It's basically a small-ish Metroid game, but with awesome combat, stealth sequences, a great story, and RPG elements. Also, it features what I think is the coolest sequence that I have ever seen in a game. Those who have played it probably know which part I'm referring to.


#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Everyone after me will probably call me an idiot for saying so, they always do, but I doubt it will get any better. I was the same way as you, and I really didn't care for the gameplay at all. If the combat is not doing anything for you now, then I doubt it will later. They just add in couple extra enemy types that make you juggle a few more combo buttons, and that's about it. The rest of the game is just a shit ton of that, and some rather lack luster stealth moments that are pretty much just grapple statue, wait, move to another one, wait, move to another, wait, rinse and repeat.


The only thing I liked about the game was the characters and the story, but the gameplay was just not fun at all. Oh, and if you are like me and you hate back tracking, then this game is not for you. It's basically the Metroid style thing where you run through the same place 50 times, and every tenth time you get some new item that lets you do one thing you couldn't the last time you ran through it.

I would give it to at least the first fight with the Joker or the Bane fight before giving up on it. It may hook you down the road. It never did for me though, which is a shame because I was really enjoying everything about the game except the gameplay.
#9 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -

I just finished it for the first time.  My favorite part were the spirit of arkham collectables.  I liked the game, but I didn't think it was awesome.  Combat was pretty repetitive, and the boss battles sucked.  Croc and Ivy were awful, and it's all just rule of three.

#10 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

Actually as soon as I started it, I was enthralled. It was just such a good game and the combat is so fun to just flip around and elbow dudes in the face.

#11 Posted by CornBREDX (5392 posts) -
@christ0phe: Ivy was the best boss in the game I thought. Considering most the fights are: throw batarang, dodge, smack few times rinse repeat while sometimes also fighting other enemies- it was a nice change of pace. Same goes for the more puzzley nature of Scarecrow.

But I can't contest Croc. That one seemed like they had no idea what they really could do with it so they did what they did. That one is the biggest disappointment.
#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6283 posts) -
@Dtat said:
" I didn't get it at first either. I stopped playing and then came back months later. I played straight through without stopping. "
Literally the same.
#13 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

The combat is pretty good, but I didn't get far because I hate stealth.

#14 Posted by jlev880 (204 posts) -

I have a completely different opinion about the game play

#15 Posted by Tearhead (2169 posts) -

While I don't think the game is as amazing as so many made it out to be, it's still a great game. I was similar to you in that I didn't understand why people loved the game as much as they did and stopped playing for a while, but came back it after almost a year and really enjoyed the rest of the game.

#16 Edited by Contro (2040 posts) -

It was good game, but tI didn't feel special, just competent.

#17 Posted by imsh_pl (3296 posts) -

I find it way more fun on the hardest difficulty, that way you have to strike perfectly in battle, but when you do YOU'RE THE FUCKING BATMAN

#18 Posted by Sin4profit (2938 posts) -

So i got dis one game and it was all like, "press start" and i was all like, "pfff, fuck this shit game".

#19 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -
@Romination said:
" Actually as soon as I started it, I was enthralled. It was just such a good game and the combat is so fun to just flip around and elbow dudes in the face. "
#20 Posted by JoeyRavn (4977 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" I find it way more fun on the hardest difficulty, that way you have to strike perfectly in battle, but when you do YOU'RE THE FUCKING BATMAN "
Freeflow Perfection. Now that is a nice Achievement to get.
#21 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" Everyone after me will probably call me an idiot for saying so, they always do, but I doubt it will get any better. I was the same way as you, and I really didn't care for the gameplay at all. If the combat is not doing anything for you now, then I doubt it will later. They just add in couple extra enemy types that make you juggle a few more combo buttons, and that's about it. The rest of the game is just a shit ton of that, and some rather lack luster stealth moments that are pretty much just grapple statue, wait, move to another one, wait, move to another, wait, rinse and repeat.

The only thing I liked about the game was the characters and the story, but the gameplay was just not fun at all. Oh, and if you are like me and you hate back tracking, then this game is not for you. It's basically the Metroid style thing where you run through the same place 50 times, and every tenth time you get some new item that lets you do one thing you couldn't the last time you ran through it.

I would give it to at least the first fight with the Joker or the Bane fight before giving up on it. It may hook you down the road. It never did for me though, which is a shame because I was really enjoying everything about the game except the gameplay.
"
Not everyone will call you an idiot. I had basically the same experience with the game as you did. The combat doesn't change. If you don't care for it, it's unlikely to win you over later. The game wasn't bad, but I never understood the fuss over it either. I found the gameplay a bit tedious and gave up on it. It was a brilliant idea, and a lot of the game came together well, but the combat ... meh. I always thought I'd go back and try the game again, but every time I tried I had the same response and set it aside.
#22 Posted by Brendan (7817 posts) -

If you don't like the basic combo system at the beginning then you probably won't be enthralled by the rest of the game either.  I loved it from the beginning, but I can't say that it transforms into something else completely, it just slowly builds on itself.

#23 Edited by imsh_pl (3296 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

" @imsh_pl said:

" I find it way more fun on the hardest difficulty, that way you have to strike perfectly in battle, but when you do YOU'RE THE FUCKING BATMAN "
Freeflow Perfection. Now that is a nice Achievement to get. "
Agreed, the AA platinum trophy was propably my most satisfying one yet.
#24 Posted by FinalCut (94 posts) -

I got about half-way through and I couldn't get myself to keep playing. The game is fine but nothing really grabbed me. The voice acting is pretty good but that isn't enough to get me to finish it.

#25 Edited by leebmx (2245 posts) -

I am 65% through the game at the moment and am loving it. I played the demo and was a bit meh as well but the further you get into the game the better it gets. The fighting is very satisfying but the greatest thrill are the setpieces where you have to take down a room full of armed dudes without being caught. There is a later one where all the gargoiles have been mined so you have to creep in and out of ducts and pop out of the floor etc. Completing that properly makes you feel like an utter badass.  Also it finds a way to fit a lot of great batman villans into the story with out feeling over-done and Mark Hamil's Joker is superb.


EDIT: and the scarecrow sections are fucking insane (no pun intended)
#26 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I remember seeing the logos in the intro and I hated the game, my god it sucked.

Then I actually played it for a while and it was the best thing ever

#27 Posted by Jimbo (9820 posts) -

I thought it was good, not great.  I loved the combat mechanics, yet every fight felt still unsatifying.  Unsatisfying because: It was a given you would win each fight pretty much however badly you played, getting a good multiplier was something to aim for but ultimately pointless, and losing your multiplier was just annoying even though it didn't really matter.

The whole 'play well = more XP' thing is practically impossible to pull off well in a game like this because it totally fucks up the balance.  It makes the game harder for people who are already sucking, and makes the game easier for those who are already doing well.  The alternative is to make the system so toothless that it might as well not exist at all, or just make the game really easy the whole way though. 

I hope they take a look at the optional '100%' stuff from AC:Brotherhood and go more in that direction. ie.  relatively easy to just get through the game, but quite challenging to get through the 'proper' way.  Give the player the opportunity to tailor the experience to their taste.

#28 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -
@stevemanu said:
" So yeah I'm around the part where you just breakout out of the prison and see the island for the first time. The combat is ok in my opinion and the characters are probably what are keeping me playing not the gameplay.  So my question is, does it get better? I mean all I have done so far i either just walk up behind dudes and press triangle or just mash square and do a few throws.  Feels a bit 'meh' to me. But hopefully it gets better, it does get better.....Right? "
I played through half of it and it is indeed "meeeh", if you love batman im sure it is awesome. Me myself am not much comic book heroes so I couldnt really get into it.
The action is OK I guess, but every part of it is lacking compared to their counterparts. Hack n slash is better in bayonetta and god of war than in Arkham, sneaking is better in games focusing on it. It is not better than the sum-of-its-parts imho.
#29 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

No one said jumping on the bandwagon was going to be fun

#30 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

I love the pants off of Arkham Asylum. I found it had a brilliant blend of Stealth, combat and exploration.  The combat was unique and incredibly satisfying. It flows with such grace and you feel like a complete badass. The stealth were well designed, you could tackle them in a multitude of ways. Sure you can abuse gargoyle statues but what fun is that. The game being able to do both these things so well is very impressive to me.  I could go on but that it the jist of it.    
#31 Posted by stevemanu (90 posts) -

Yea I probably  have too high expectations for the game. I'm sure it will capture my imagination soon enough though.  

#32 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

it was cool but certainly not GOTY. no fucking way. 

#33 Posted by JoeyRavn (4977 posts) -
@floodiastus said:
"Hack n slash is better in bayonetta and god of war than in Arkham, sneaking is better in games focusing on it."
I think you may be missunderstanding the combat system. It's not meant to be a "hack-n-slash" style like Bayonetta's by any means. Nothing farther than that. It's much more tactical and precise. If you try to button-mash your way through the game, you'll fail miserably. It's all about timing. Maybe the stealth parts are better in other games, but that doesn't mean it's not good in AA.

Really, I don't understand how you could ever classify AA's combat as "hack-n-slash".
#34 Posted by Lukeweizer (2692 posts) -

I just pressed "New Game" on Half-Life 2 for the first time... don't see what all the fuss is about. The intro movie is really average. This is obviously not the best game ever made.

#35 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" I don' really understand how you can judge a game having "just" started it. But yes, it does get better once you start having better gadgets and you start roaming around more diverse settings. The game is amazing from start to finish if you ask me, though. "
This. Half the point in the game is the sense of being Batman is this crazy environment. Add to that exploration, gadgets, solid fighting and great characters and you have one of the best, if not THE best, of '09.
#36 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

I was loving it from the first sequence where you was walking Joker into the asylum but I am a huge batman fan.

#37 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

It's definitely one of the best games of 2009. It starts out kinda slow, but quickly turns into a Metroid-style brawler once you get all your gadgets and the enemies get a little more challenging.


I just got the Game of the Year edition after losing my copy months ago. Apparently, the GOTY edition creates a new achievement list from the regular version. So I'll have two identical sets of achievements for the same game.
#38 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

So... you've played like 5 minutes?

#39 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" @floodiastus said:
"Hack n slash is better in bayonetta and god of war than in Arkham, sneaking is better in games focusing on it."
I think you may be missunderstanding the combat system. It's not meant to be a "hack-n-slash" style like Bayonetta's by any means. Nothing farther than that. It's much more tactical and precise. If you try to button-mash your way through the game, you'll fail miserably. It's all about timing. Maybe the stealth parts are better in other games, but that doesn't mean it's not good in AA.Really, I don't understand how you could ever classify AA's combat as "hack-n-slash". "
It's the exact same type of move-system as in hack n slashers and beat em up games. It isnt any more tactical than say Castlevania.
#40 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Batman is not a fussy guy. So it makes sense.

#41 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11138 posts) -

BATMAN!

Moderator
#42 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @JoeyRavn said:

" @imsh_pl said:

" I find it way more fun on the hardest difficulty, that way you have to strike perfectly in battle, but when you do YOU'RE THE FUCKING BATMAN "
Freeflow Perfection. Now that is a nice Achievement to get. "
Agreed, the AA platinum trophy was propably my most satisfying one yet. "
i was 1 more hit away from getting it and i missed...  i stopped playing the game after that
#43 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" I don' really understand how you can judge a game having "just" started it. But yes, it does get better once you start having better gadgets and you start roaming around more diverse settings. The game is amazing from start to finish if you ask me, though. "
#44 Edited by Tsoglani (585 posts) -
@Sin4profit said:

" So i got dis one game and it was all like, "press start" and i was all like, "pfff, fuck this shit game". "

Funny how that happens, isn't it?

People should probably actually at least play HALF the game before making a judgement, but hey, to each their own.

One thing is for sure: Arkham City will be fantastic.
#45 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" The combat is pretty good, but I didn't get far because I hate stealth. "
Wh-.... Then why would you even play a Batman game?!
#46 Posted by ProfessorEss (7401 posts) -

I'm not even gonna read the OP or the rest of the thread (right now anyways).

That game was amazing from start to finish.

If someone's even plays an hour of Arkham Asylum and doesn't get it, I don't get it.

#47 Posted by fox01313 (5074 posts) -

Keep playing, I think it does start getting better esp. when the bat tech starts coming in & upgrading it.

#48 Posted by DonChipotle (2768 posts) -

I played it even though I fucking hate Batman.

At first I was like "Man I fucking hate Batman why the fuck am I playing this?"

But then I was like "Ho shit yeah I am punching these dudes and fuckin exploding foam and god damn yeah stealth takedowns like a motherfucker this game is pretty god damn alright"


But I still fucking hate Batman.

#49 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

I found the combat and general feel of the game fantastic from the moment i tried the demo, to the last challenge room. I think if you don't like it now, there's a chance you never will. But this thread says otherwise so pfft

#50 Posted by BaneFireLord (2941 posts) -

It gets way better. Just wait 'till you get the explosive gel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.