Oh well, there goes my dream of an S-rank for this game.

#1 Posted by AngeTheDude (644 posts) -

Sorry guys, but Shock & Awe Extreme is only for the most hardcore of players. There's no possible way to finish the last round in the time given. What the hell?! It's ridiculous. I'm so damned close. I finished it once and got 28,200 out of the 30,000 needed. I've been plugging away at it for two hours now and my performance is only getting worse, barely surviving the first round. This is one of the best games of 2009, but it's easily my most frustrating of 2010. Is anyone else VERY close to getting all the points/trophies in this game and stuck at these combat challenges?

#2 Posted by Church069 (250 posts) -
@AngeTheDude:
I remember trying to do this one and from I recall there was alot of yelling and cursing at the tv.   

Some tips I could give you would be try to focus on takedowns and throws(try to throw them out of the arena) mainly due to the time limit of course, so don't worry about the getting a high variation bonus for this level. 

Try jumping over enemies rather than trying to counter them, mainly because the window for countering is very small on the extreme challenges and the animations take alot of time. Jumping over enemies gives you a little more breathing room and it's easier to land a hit that gives you a x2 bonus rather than the normal x1.

Try to make sure any takedowns and throws you use are on knife dudes or stun baton dudes, because they take longer to knock them out normally.   

The technique I found most helpful to do on all the free flow challenges, is when you see that there are only one or two guys left, use the ultra batclaw on them to pull them towards you, jump over them to keep your combo going or else it will reset, and then when they are on the floor do a ground takedown(RT+Y for X360).  That will get you plenty of points (Your current combo x 100) 

I hope these tips help you out a little.  Good Luck with that S-rank.
#3 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

It's possible.  You gotta take a little time with it.  Ground takedowns at the right time are your friend.  Get that multiplier high and slam into those fools, but make sure to use as much crowd control as possible. 

Keep at it, you'll get it, man.

#4 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4884 posts) -

Ah yes, I remember that. The reason I don't a have a platinum in Batman.

#5 Posted by AngeTheDude (644 posts) -

I finally got it. I jumped around the place in a circle while batclawing fools in between jumps. I was able to get big combos going since everyone was barely getting up when I hit them. I then beat the game on hard 3 hours later. BOOM, S-RANK!

Now to do this on the PC!

#6 Posted by jNerd (2011 posts) -

I gave up 1/2 way through Arkham Asylum...... I really need to jump back into that game.

#7 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

I just picked up this game a few days ago so I take this information on board. Cheers.

#8 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

Took a lot of time and a lot of "god dammit!"'s and a lot of "fuck!"'s, but it was worth it. The combat in AA is fucking brilliant.

#9 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

@AngeTheDude said:

"I finally got it. I jumped around the place in a circle while batclawing fools in between jumps. I was able to get big combos going since everyone was barely getting up when I hit them. I then beat the game on hard 3 hours later. BOOM, S-RANK!  Now to do this on the PC! "

Congratulations on getting that S-Rank. If you do end up getting progressively worse at something you've been trying at in a game for a long time, sometimes you can do a lot of good by taking a break from the game and coming back to it later.

#10 Edited by cap123 (2477 posts) -

I did shock and awe by getting really great scores on the first three, it is far easier to keep within the time limit on these three. Put all your efforts into getting high scores on these as the fourth is very hard to score well on.. you need to give yourself some breathing room so that on the 4th you can just concentrate on getting your combo meter up to 5 and then instant takedowning (b+y). No variation bonusing, just get your combo meter yellow then take an enemy out.. only real way i could get under the timelimit. Get your x5 by beating on non-knife/eletric guys, then go for one of the knife/eletric guys with your instantTK. Very frustrating when you get to 30k in the first three rounds, only to run out of time on the fourth!!

edit: oops, i see you did it! congratulations

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.