Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

So, i've played Arkham Asylum. (Spoilers)

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deusdigit

Lets get one thing straight, i can't say i am really a batman fan. But i am absolutely impressed by this video game as a attempt to renew faith in any DC game. Who ever the design team was behind arkham asylum, i assume that they worked really hard to get their college degrees and were hired for a reason. 

This game does the classic batman justice in anyway or shape or forum. I used to watch the batman animated series when i was younger. Because the voice acting and animation is top notch. 

Anyway my opinion on this game, everything seems rather well balanced, the enemys are pretty cool to fight, There is very little variety here but it doesn't seem to bog the player down because the game is so busy giving you updates and trying to catch the joker. The boss fights are actually alot of fun, Obvious patterns here. But the scarecrows has to be the funnest boss fight in a action/adventure game.

There really isn't any frustration in this game, it always seems to be Continuing a perfect balance and pace along the way, you never find a Room that's too big or useless. it never feels like its trying to Extend stage time.

The Riddler puzzles are a blast, i don't understand some of the negative comments people have left based on the riddlers commentary whenever you get a trophie. this adds to the video game, its the riddler. Of course he's going to act cheesy, it keeps the situation somewhat light and prevents the game from Being too serious.

Well, i have only a few complaints. Killercroc boss fight is F ing annoying. you aren't allowed to use that Hookshot device, the developers didn't want you to speed threw this, so they make killer croc instantly reappear from the water to catch you.

It feels annoying to half to start all that way back. while it can be suspenseful, it was pretty glitchy a few times to see batman STILL standing on a wooden board after killer croc had fallen into the water from a failed capture and then it would give me a Game over screen. 

The unreal engine only really shines during the wonderful cutscences. While the game looks excellent, it seems like some of the environments need anti-aliasing pretty badly. but you never run into a Muddy or cheap texture. Everything otherwise seems wonderfully inspired.

My last issue, was the Final boss fight. The game felt the need to take you out as fast as possible and only give you a small clue to what is in the next video game.

Anyway, cheers. Great Game! Renewed my faith in Eidos and I can't wait for arkham asylum 2.

4thHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By 4thHorseman

There were definately things about the game that could have been better, but this was the game I had most fun with this year. Much better than I expected, and I'm hoping they kick it into overdrive for the sequel.
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By kennybaese

Same here. I absolutely loved this game. I've been a huge Batman fan for pretty much forever, and I grew up on Batman: TAS so having Conroy and Hamill voice the characters was an absolute treat.  And as a fan of the comic I was blown away by the attention to detail and all of the references they made. 

And the fact that there was a really awesome game wrapped around the whole thing easily makes this one of my favorite games of all time.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The game looks great...on the pc. Nothing wrong with the textures or antialiasing since you can set it. Then again I agree with most of your other points, batman is my game of the year. The boss battles could of been better though.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Rayfield

Game of the year for me. It was surprisingly amazing. 

It also made me care about collecting all the Riddler challenges and usually I couldn't care less about getting all that kinda stuff. Feathers in Assassin's Creed 2? No thanks. Scanning all the 'Spirit of Arkham' emblems? Hell yes!
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilTwin

I'm disappointed that the first line of this thread wasn't "ask me anything!"

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By MildMolasses
    @Rayfield:
    This is the model I wish other designers would use. A good chunk of those riddles got you something (audio logs, character models, bios, challenge rooms) that actually made it worthwhile to seek these things out, as opposed to just busy work. 

And I know a lot of people were disappointed with the boss fights, but I can't hold that against the game because boss fights in general seem to be lacking in games these days

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.