This game is going to sell a ton because of The Dark Knight

• 53 results
#1 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

I'll admit I was never a fan of the comics (or comics in general) or the cartoons.  But I really like the Crhistopher Nolan movies, and because of that I'm interested in this game even though the only thing they have in common is the name Batman.  I bet a ton more people are just like me.

#2 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I would have been tracking this game whether Christopher Nolan had reinvigorated the Batman movies or not. I like Batman, and this game is looking good. It'll no doubt be a purchase for me once its out. I am sure there are at least a fewr more people then just you who will pick it up purely for that reason though. Probably some who wont realse the two arent conneted other then the characters within them.

#3 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

They really should have used TDK's batsuit or something. The grey leotard looks even worse now than ever.

#4 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

It possibly will.

#5 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Really?  I thought it was gonna sell insane copies because it has "Batman" in the title and Eidos is going to buy all their 8.0 reviews.  =  /  Foolish me, I guess...

#6 Posted by Daz0608 (384 posts) -

The name Batman definitely has more mass appeal after TDK, and I'm one of the people that are more interested in this game after watching TDK, even though I've never read a batman comic.

jakob187 said:
"Really?  I thought it was gonna sell insane copies because it has "Batman" in the title and Eidos is going to buy all their 8.0 reviews.  =  /  Foolish me, I guess..."
It does worry me that Eidos are publishing this game
#7 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -

It won't sell for the fact that it might be a good game? I'm sure it will sell copies because of the Batman name, however.

#8 Edited by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"They really should have used TDK's batsuit or something. The grey leotard looks even worse now than ever."
I beg to differ
#9 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
Karmum said:
"It won't sell for the fact that it might be a good game? I'm sure it will sell copies because of the Batman name, however."
There are a lot of "good games"  that don't sell at all like phsychonauts.
I meant it will sell a lot wether it's good or bad though.
#10 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I'm kind of excited for the game just based on its own properties, not because of recent events elsewhere in the Batman franchise. I'm glad to see they decided to go for a comic book style for the game instead of trying to copy the films, that would of disappointed me.

As for the grey costume I don't think it looks that bad as when you see it up close you can tell they've tried to make it look like a set of armour with various pieces attatched to each other. And since the game seems to be focusing more on the comic book visual style it wouldn't make much sense to give him an all black costume like in the films, pretty sure the majority of his comic book appearances have been in the grey outfit.

#11 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Funny you should say that, I just finished watching The Dark Knight for my fifth or sixth time. Damn, I love that movie. I never had huge hopes for Arkham Asylum, but that latest trailer looks pretty cool. It seems that people actually care about Mark Hamill again (kinda)!

#12 Edited by FlipperDesert (2082 posts) -

I'm looking forward to it 'cause I like the universe, not to mention it has the voice actors from the animated series, as long as the gameplay isn't downright crappy anything's fine with me.

Edit: And the batsuit in grey's how it should be, if they took TDK's suit that would be relying on the movie for success, and that's not the angle they're going for.

#13 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"They really should have used TDK's batsuit or something. The grey leotard looks even worse now than ever."
I beg to differ
"
Best point to be made on this entire thread, Bulldog.  Jim Lee FTW!!!  The opposite Superman picture for that is fucking sweet as well.  Good ol' Hush...
Anyways, I think I might be the only person on this planet that is expecting this game to be bad.  I mean, Urban Chaos wasn't that hot of a game.  Eidos is a shitty publisher, as they've proven time and again.  The only good thing this game seems to have going for it is the voice talents of Kev and Mark, but I don't even think that'll save it.

Moreover, I'm going to be pissed if they fuck up Arkham Asylum.  They are messing with some pretty territory there, and to fuck something up in the SLIGHTEST would induce my nerd rage to 9,000!
#14 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Interest in Batman has certainly been risen thanks to The Dark Knight. Honestly though, I'm pretty sure I'd be just as pumped for this game even if The Dark Knight didn't exist, just on the sole reason that the original voiceactors from The Animated Series are involved in this project.

Also, I disagree with using a pure black suit. I prefer a variety of different outfits being used instead of just one across everything.

jakob187 said:

"Moreover, I'm going to be pissed if they fuck up Arkham Asylum.  They are messing with some pretty territory there, and to fuck something up in the SLIGHTEST would induce my nerd rage to 9,000!"
It will be a very sad day if this game turns out to be a big pile of crap.
#16 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

I think that was part of the plan

#17 Edited by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
brukaoru said:
"It will be a very sad day if this game turns out to be a big pile of crap.
"

It won't be, so long as Jeff reviews it. Wink, wink, wink, wink, wink.
#18 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
SoothsayerGB said:
"No way am I buying that!  They didn't even get Heath Ledger to voice Joker..."
You're not buying it because they can't resurrect someone from the dead to do a voice-over?
#19 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
brukaoru said:
"SoothsayerGB said:
You're not buying it because they can't resurrect someone from the dead to do a voice-over?"

I brought up Heath Ledger's death in front of someone in my school, this past week, and the response was...

"omg he's dead?!?!"

/facepalm

I think those sentiments will soon be duplicated.
#20 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

I'm actually excited for this because I just finished reading The Return of the Dark Knight, and before that, The Killing Joke. Both of them beat the living shit out of TDK, by the way.

#21 Posted by Muffin_Hunter (176 posts) -
SoothsayerGB said:
My reaction to this statement.

#22 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Muffin_Hunter said:
"SoothsayerGB said:

"

Well said.
#23 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Muffin_Hunter said:
"SoothsayerGB said:

"

Well said."
Harley Quinn is supposedly in this game, right? Will they get her original voice back too?
God I hope so.
#24 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I'm really hoping its good, like Batman NES or Batman Returns good for the SNES, that kinda good.

#25 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

wasn't this game recently scrapped?

#26 Posted by Yit (761 posts) -

Hopefully it'll sell because it's AWESOME!

#27 Posted by sociald1077 (263 posts) -

My question is: Will this be Bruce Wayne as Bats, or will this be the post-Final Crisis/Battle for the Cowl Batman?

I guess it will be Bruce as Kevin Conroy is doing the voice, but me being the comic fan I am, it should be who-ever is gonna be the new Batman.

RIP Bruce.

#28 Posted by PercyChuggs (1087 posts) -

It will sell, but not because of The Dark Knight. It will just get by on the license itself.

#29 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

I would not rent this game out as a rule, but I have really gotten inot Batman lately.

#30 Posted by LiquidPrince (15896 posts) -

Or maybe it will sell a ton because it will be a good game... Who knows.

#31 Posted by Lieutenant (347 posts) -
thabigred said:
"wasn't this game recently scrapped?"
You're probably thinking of the Pandemic game. This one is very much alive.
#32 Posted by Lieutenant (347 posts) -

It'll sell a ton because it has Mark frickin' Hamill.

I just wish they used the white eyes on Batman though. Never been a fan the normal eyes with pupils.

#33 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

It will probably sell because of TDK, and it would be nice to see a good Batman game again. Both would be nice.

#34 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

Kevin Conroy voicing Batman and Mark Hamill voicing the Joker pretty much sold this game to me already. But I can see all the bandwagon fans jumping on this game because of TDK.

#35 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
Lieutenant said:
"It'll sell a ton because it has Mark frickin' Hamill.

I just wish they used the white eyes on Batman though. Never been a fan the normal eyes with pupils."
Thats one thing I'm on not so sure about. While the white eyes are iconic and very much Batman I'm not so sure they would work so well into the visual style this game clearly has which is a darker, grittier and dare I say borderline realistic feel. That being said the fact this game is going to have some sort of "detective vision" where you can see the outlines of enemies or friends through walls, see objects of interest and such like makes me wonder will they go TDK route and have his eyes turn white when this ability is used?

One thing I really want is to be able to drive the batmobile in this game. If they allow that then I'm sold evne more :P
#36 Edited by suneku (2997 posts) -
Hamz said:
"Lieutenant said:
"It'll sell a ton because it has Mark frickin' Hamill.

I just wish they used the white eyes on Batman though. Never been a fan the normal eyes with pupils."
Thats one thing I'm on not so sure about. While the white eyes are iconic and very much Batman I'm not so sure they would work so well into the visual style this game clearly has which is a darker, grittier and dare I say borderline realistic feel. That being said the fact this game is going to have some sort of "detective vision" where you can see the outlines of enemies or friends through walls, see objects of interest and such like makes me wonder will they go TDK route and have his eyes turn white when this ability is used?

One thing I really want is to be able to drive the batmobile in this game. If they allow that then I'm sold evne more :P"
I doubt the white eyes wouldn't fit into this visual style because pretty much all his comics that were dark had white eyes, because the white eyes is a part of his equipment. They just can't ever do it properly in movies which is why we never see them in movies.
#37 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
suneku said:
"Kevin Conroy voicing Batman and Mark Hamill voicing the Joker pretty much sold this game to me already. But I can see all the bandwagon fans jumping on this game because of TDK."

Darn those worthless peons who were drawn into the series by the IP's most successful application! How dare they be interested in this game?!?!!?
#38 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I beg to differ
"
To me, that grey and black outfit just reminds me of pyjamas. And I side with The Incredibles on the concept of having a cape is too oldschool.
#39 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I beg to differ
"

This....
...or this?

Nay, good sir. It is I who begs to differ!
#40 Posted by darkspirit138 (479 posts) -
SoothsayerGB said:

Heath Ledger is dead, man. He killed himself shortly after the movie.

#41 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

I am really excited about this game , hope it is as good as it looks

#42 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I beg to differ
"
Absolutely.  The TDK movie suit is a retarded ninja outfit.  At least it didn't have nipples but there has never been a live action version of batman with anything even close to the cool comics design, IDK if it's possible in film. But for a VG it's easy to emulate the tried and tested comic look.
#43 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -
Muffin_Hunter said:
"SoothsayerGB said:

"
I agree, the Luke Skywalker joker = the best.  Ledger was great for the film, but not so much for his voice as much as his overall acting.  Hammil nails the voice only work.
#44 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

I beg to differ, Batman was awesome before the christopher nolan movies and it has a big fanbase.

#45 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I beg to differ
"

This....
...or this?

Nay, good sir. It is I who begs to differ!"
Both of those are terrible and bad examples of costume design. 

#46 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
Hexpane said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I beg to differ
"

This....
...or this?

"
what game is that?
#47 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
clubsandwich said:
"Hexpane said:what game is that?"
The filename says "jlh", so I'm guessing it's Justice League Heroes.
#48 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -

yep JLH shots.  Not the best game ever made, but it's actually real fun the 2nd time through.  The first time through you barely have any powers and such, it can get real annoying to have Superman and Wonder Woman dying a lot from robot lasers and other nonsense.

But once you play it through and unlock the other characters and new abilities it actually starts to get pretty fun and the drones are meaningless for powered up characters, only the boss battles matter, which is as it should be for the JL core team.  Fighting darkseid or Grodd should matter, Superman should not die from Braniac robot lasers. 

I would rate this game much higher than X-men Legends or Marvel UA based on level design.   XML had some nice team based attacks and the 4 man party, but  the levels were so boring.  Metal hallway, or brown outdoor looking area.

JLH has a nice variety of level design, outer space, other dimensions, central city park, starr labs, gorrilla city.   Unfortunately the levels are pretty short and the game doesnt last very long once you know a level.  Also green lantern is impossible to do correctly in a videogame, so basically you get a shield or a hammer or a beam.  And almost all range attacks from all the characters are too over powered.  Batman w/ maxed out bat-a-rangs can pretty much complete the game on his own.

#49 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Hexpane said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I beg to differ
"

This....
...or this?

"
They look terrible.
#50 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -

of course you would think that, they are not in yellow/blue wolverine customes or are you wanting the Nipples back?  Perhaps some black  nailpolish on batman would help>?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.