This is how anti-piracy should be done!

• 67 results
#1 Posted by Spacetrucking (940 posts) -
Arkham Asylum pirates get a gimpy Batman

Its about time someone implemented a good DRM that didn't hinder the actual buyers. Do you think every game should have a similar protection...like say you you can't jump or fire your weapon in the pirated version of MW2 ?
#2 Posted by soapcell (24 posts) -

Give it a day or two. Those pirates work extremely fast in getting past anti-piracy measures.

#3 Posted by MrKlorox (11187 posts) -

Yeah. GTA4 kinda did something similar by forcing drunk mode for certain crack methods. All in all it is just meant to delay the real cracks so people will lose patience and buy the legal game. It just sucks when these leaks come a week early and give the hackers plenty of time to catch up.

#4 Posted by Omega (819 posts) -

That's pretty cool. I'd like to see more stuff like that. But maybe get really creative and add dumb stuff like have your gun shoot paintballs in games like modern warfare 2, or replace the zombies with guys in chicken suits in left for dead 2. Just something completely ridiculous to piss off the guy who was hoping for a freebie.

If what the article said about FFXIII is true it almost makes me want to pirate it in order to see my character get trampled by chocobo's. But I'm sure it was just a joke to end the article on.

#5 Posted by MrKlorox (11187 posts) -

Two posts? How many times have you already been banned? Oh well, I'm sure one more won't hurt.

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@eezo said:
" yeaaah thats bullshit, downloaded the game and i completed it... "
fail.
#7 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

That's so awesome. I love that.

#8 Edited by MexicanHatBoy (129 posts) -

When you said "gimpy Batman" I thought pirates were getting an alternate character model of a guy in a gimp suit. Personally I think that would've also worked wonders, not a whole lot of guys want to stare at a leather clad, hairy gimp for 12 hours.

#9 Edited by MrKlorox (11187 posts) -
@MexicanHatBoy: I saw gimpy pirates and thought Batman had a peg-leg. 

#10 Edited by eezo (284 posts) -
@CL60:
how is that fail ? i got the game for free AND i completed it before it got out lol 

if you don't believe me i can do some screenshots :)
#11 Posted by MrKlorox (11187 posts) -
@eezo:  I assume he meant from a human/moral perspective.
#12 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -
@eezo said:
" @CL60: how is that fail ? i got the game for free AND i completed it before it got out lol "
Still fail.
#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@eezo said:
" @CL60: how is that fail ? i got the game for free AND i completed it before it got out lol  if you don't believe me i can do some screenshots :) "
how could you get it for PC if its not released yet ? september 15th :S
#14 Posted by raidingkvatch (1148 posts) -

That's awesome, this is totally how DRM should be done, obviously pirates will get past it eventually, but it slows them and gives us honest people who actually BUY games something to laugh at.

#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

actually, how did the guy in the article get a fileshare version in the first place so he can go and complain about the glide jump? PC VERSION ISNT OUT YET !

#16 Posted by Hamst3r (4345 posts) -

My recollection of this is fuzzy, but if I recall correctly, a pirated version of Half-Life 2 would have all it's AI disabled. You could wander through the game but the NPCs would just stand around and enemies wouldn't attack.
#17 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@eezo said:
" @CL60: how is that fail ? i got the game for free AND i completed it before it got out lol  if you don't believe me i can do some screenshots :) "
So what you're saying is you can't afford games? GG at life, GG...
#18 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

It wont stop anything, it just takes a little longer.
Football manager did it, aswell as someone else said GTA. Football manager made the game a demo, and crashed after a year, which is pretty clever.

#19 Posted by eezo (284 posts) -
@strangeling said:
" @eezo said:
" @CL60: how is that fail ? i got the game for free AND i completed it before it got out lol "
Still fail. "

Ok? not really
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @eezo said:
how could you get it for PC if its not released yet ? september 15th :S "

It's ripped from a D2D source :)
@Hitchenson said:
" @eezo said:
So what you're saying is you can't afford games? GG at life, GG... "

and actually i CAN afford games, and i probly will buy this game, BUT i download the games that are released a fucking MONTH later for the pc just because the developer has to "work on PhysX" wich is odd, it works fine on the demo ?
#20 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@eezo said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @eezo said:

Whats that? o_o
#21 Posted by eezo (284 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: thats "direct 2 drive" in other words steam or something like that :)
#22 Posted by The_Ish (481 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @eezo said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @eezo said:

Whats that? o_o "
Direct 2 Drive. 

It's like Steam where you download the games, except you don't do it through an app and there are no deals. 

It's still pretty good though, it's how I got Oblivion and Mass Effect. 

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" actually, how did the guy in the article get a fileshare version in the first place so he can go and complain about the glide jump? PC VERSION ISNT OUT YET ! "
The PC version was leaked, apparantly. Not surprising, since it has happened before. 

Also, I remember that E:TW had a nice DRM where you needed the patch that came with the disc to be able to play properly. Don't know if it's true though. 
#23 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I lol'd, thats great, but someone will fix that soon enough

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:
" It wont stop anything, it just takes a little longer. Football manager did it, aswell as someone else said GTA. Football manager made the game a demo, and crashed after a year, which is pretty clever. "
how can you know all that if you buy your games? not just you, everyone who seems to know about file share
#25 Edited by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Ineedaname said:

" It wont stop anything, it just takes a little longer. Football manager did it, aswell as someone else said GTA. Football manager made the game a demo, and crashed after a year, which is pretty clever. "
how can you know all that if you buy your games? not just you, everyone who seems to know about file share "
I'm well informed, and truth be known, I don't buy every game I have, I try to.
Using certain smaller community sites also result in these things popping up anyway, people asking questions like does anyone have a crack for so and so.
I'll assume the latter part of my comment applies to alot of people, we don't just use one site, and not everyone is perfect so someone's going to ask.
#26 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -
@eezo said:  
and actually i CAN afford games, and i probly will buy this game, BUT i download the games that are released a fucking MONTH later for the pc just because the developer has to "work on PhysX" wich is odd, it works fine on the demo ?"

It's easy to say, but you "probly" WON'T buy this game, because you've already played & beat it and why buy a game you've already played & beat when you can spend that cash on something new?
#27 Posted by eezo (284 posts) -
@strangeling said:
" @eezo said:  and actually i CAN afford games, and i probly will buy this game, BUT i download the games that are released a fucking MONTH later for the pc just because the developer has to "work on PhysX" wich is odd, it works fine on the demo ?"  It's easy to say, but you "probly" WON'T buy this game, because you've already played & beat it and why buy a game you've already played & beat when you can spend that cash on something new? "
Well  because it's a really good game and it's actually the developers SECOND game and i'd like them to continue making awesome games!
#28 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@strangeling: you dont have to hit "reply" and then copy what the gentleman said and paste next to the reply sign ..... just hit "quote" next to "reply"
#29 Posted by The_Ish (481 posts) -
@strangeling said:
" @eezo said:  and actually i CAN afford games, and i probly will buy this game, BUT i download the games that are released a fucking MONTH later for the pc just because the developer has to "work on PhysX" wich is odd, it works fine on the demo ?"  It's easy to say, but you "probly" WON'T buy this game, because you've already played & beat it and why buy a game you've already played & beat when you can spend that cash on something new? "
See, you are encouraging him to be a total pirate. 
#30 Posted by warxsnake (2626 posts) -

The only way to get rid of piracy is to bomb the houses of Razor1911, Deviance, Fairlight, and all those other cracking assholes. It will send a message not to fuck with exe's anymore. Also they shouldnt just remove features from a game when yo ucrack it, they should fuck with the game's rendering, have it render at odd angles and have a giant scrolling banner say "you are a cheap fuck get a job" in rainbow colors.

#31 Edited by JokerClown88 (1051 posts) -

Ha Ha.  Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.  Ha. 

Pirates should be drawn and quarterd just like the olden days.
#32 Edited by Jeust (10343 posts) -

it is a great measure that of batman. 

that and the download of additional stuff after online checking, like bioware's dragon age.

#33 Posted by FlamingHobo (4475 posts) -

Awesome Anti Piracy.
I had an idea on how to help protect games from anti piracy, but it would require every consumer to have an internet connection. Basically, the games are shipped compressed and all the files are locked and until the customer connects to the game publisher's servers and provides a legit key, they remain locked and unplayable. Or something similar.

#34 Posted by The_Ish (481 posts) -
@FlamingHobo said:
" Awesome Anti Piracy. I had an idea on how to help protect games from anti piracy, but it would require every consumer to have an internet connection. Basically, the games are shipped compressed and all the files are locked and until the customer connects to the game publisher's servers and provides a legit key, they remain locked and unplayable. Or something similar. "
It's still going to get cracked.
#35 Posted by FlamingHobo (4475 posts) -
@The_Ish: I suppose, but we could at least make it as hard as we can to pirate the game.
#36 Posted by Carlos (504 posts) -

More DRM like this, hellz yeah!

#37 Posted by Jeust (10343 posts) -

LOL the first time i heard about this was in sexy beach 3... with the black girls syndrom.

#38 Edited by mattysen (821 posts) -
Eidos said

The problem you have encountered is a hook in the copy protection, to catch out people who try and download cracked versions of the game for free.

It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code.

Thats one of the best responses I've herd in a while
#39 Posted by oDawg (128 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
" The only way to get rid of piracy is to bomb the houses of Razor1911, Deviance, Fairlight, and all those other cracking assholes. It will send a message not to fuck with exe's anymore. Also they shouldnt just remove features from a game when yo ucrack it, they should fuck with the game's rendering, have it render at odd angles and have a giant scrolling banner say "you are a cheap fuck get a job" in rainbow colors. "
hate often? :P
#40 Edited by The_Ish (481 posts) -
@warxsnake said:

" The only way to get rid of piracy is to bomb the houses of Razor1911, Deviance, Fairlight, and all those other cracking assholes. It will send a message not to fuck with exe's anymore. Also they shouldnt just remove features from a game when yo ucrack it, they should fuck with the game's rendering, have it render at odd angles and have a giant scrolling banner say "you are a cheap fuck get a job" in rainbow colors. "

Why so militant? They have a right to do what they want with what they buy.
#41 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

Ah yeah, this type of anti-piracy is getting quite popular with developers now. It's clever alright, well, creative is a better word.

#42 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
Mr. Practical here, is any of your comment serious?
No matter what they make the game do when it's cracked, it's just a matter of time till someone fixes it. Making things like that is a complete waste of resources. Didn't GTA waste a tonne of piracy prevention.
#43 Posted by warxsnake (2626 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:
" @warxsnake said:
Mr. Practical here, is any of your comment serious? No matter what they make the game do when it's cracked, it's just a matter of time till someone fixes it. Making things like that is a complete waste of resources. Didn't GTA waste a tonne of piracy prevention. "
okay being the third person to reply to my "serious" comment, i have to intervene.. no my comment was not serious and I don't believe in blowing people up for cracking application files.. 

the rainbow scrolling banner would be cool though, admit it.
#44 Posted by JoelTGM (5592 posts) -

hahahaha, that's funny. 

#45 Posted by Brockly46 (645 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
amen
#46 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Trying to counter piracy with "anti-piracy" measures never works, and very often produces contrary results. This particular measure is inspired and fine with me, as it does not affect the paying customer, but it is as pointless as any other.
 I didn't check, but I guess this game was leaked and patched to normal state before it even hit regular release.

#47 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -

do you guys remember the cool pirate screens that some of the dreamcast games had?   

I remember echelon would rip the games and sometimes the companies would put a picture or little video basically saying your a pirate stop trying to rip our game and embed it into the disk.   

Then Echelon would just take that and put it at the start of the game so we could see it, some of them were cool.

#48 Posted by OhdK (203 posts) -

Mass Effect also had some DRM where opening the galaxy map would cause the game to crash, or something of the sort. Maybe you couldn't open it all. 

I think it's brilliant--They're starting to filter in these more subtle DRMs because they're not immediately obvious, like a CD key check, so it's more difficult for crackers to cotton on. At first, these protections are dismissed as bugs.

#49 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (733 posts) -

This is as good as the undetectable hack post in the Valve forum I read about a while ago. Bravo.

#50 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

That is pretty funny. I like their idea better than usual DRM methods.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.