Will This Break the Cycle

#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

of terrible Batman games? I hope so.

#2 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -

definitively. it seems it is going to be an awesome game.

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Yea it does look awesome. Just watched that demo thing with the stealth things. Looked awesome.

#4 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

The reason I think this game will actually be good isn't just because the game itself looks awesome. But rather it is taking a license, the Batman license, and using it in such a way that it doesn't glue itself to any particular part of the Batman Universe. It isn't a game based on a particular comic book story arc, cartoon or movie. It is a game with Batman, using Batman licensed characters / enviroments etc and applying it to an original concept and idea.

That is why I am looking forward to it.

#5 Posted by FlipperDesert (2084 posts) -
Hamz said:
"The reason I think this game will actually be good isn't just because the game itself looks awesome. But rather it is taking a license, the Batman license, and using it in such a way that it doesn't glue itself to any particular part of the Batman Universe. It isn't a game based on a particular comic book story arc, cartoon or movie. It is a game with Batman, using Batman licensed characters / enviroments etc and applying it to an original concept and idea.That is why I am looking forward to it."
Well... It's sorta similar to TAS, but that's mostly 'cause of the voices.

I think it'll be awesome. At least, I hope. The thing that I like most is the potential to be a real dick to a room full of freaked-out guards.
#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Well, I've been waiting for a great batman game for years and I think this may very well be it.

#7 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

It looks like it'll have a shot at it.

#8 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Havent seen a good batman game since the Genesis.

#9 Posted by Aggieborn (12 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"Havent seen a good batman game since the Genesis."
I haven't seen a good one since Batman Forever....I know I know. But I was a little one at the time. Plus, co-op was a blast with my friend.

But I am thrilled with the gritty Batman style that I've been exposed to since waiting for the Dark Knight. I've read a ton of titles that really have redefined the character for me.
#10 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

The old batman games were good because they were clones of really good games.

#11 Edited by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

I hope so. It looks really cool. I hope it doesn't disappoint. I totally agree with Hamz's reasoning for why this should be the best Batman game in a long time, but that doesn't mean it can't still end up shite. Fingers crossed though.

#12 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3063 posts) -

Luke Skywalker himself is in it, so it can't suck. It can't.

#13 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
Oriental_Jams said:
"Luke Skywalker himself is in it, so it can't suck. It can't."
Makes sense.
#14 Posted by Crusading_Poet (5 posts) -

If this game does well it also could help Eidos out.  The game itself looks like it has a great visual concept part animated series, part newer Batman films in that it has a darker tone.  But I'm personally on the fence about it.

#15 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

hmm there were actually a few good batman games.

#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
"hmm there were actually a few good batman games."
A long long time ago.
#17 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

The hype is good and the hands on previews seem to validate that it's going to be fun. I'm looking forward to it.

#18 Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -

It looks good so far and it isn't tied to any specific film or comic book so it has a great chance to break the mould.

#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Yeah, it looks promising.

#20 Posted by Deusoma (3006 posts) -
Hamz said:
"The reason I think this game will actually be good isn't just because the game itself looks awesome. But rather it is taking a license, the Batman license, and using it in such a way that it doesn't glue itself to any particular part of the Batman Universe. It isn't a game based on a particular comic book story arc, cartoon or movie. It is a game with Batman, using Batman licensed characters / environments etc and applying it to an original concept and idea.That is why I am looking forward to it."
You know, now that I think about it, the last truly great licenced superhero game was Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, which also wasn't based on a specific movie/cartoon/story arc. Interesting.
#21 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

yeah, this looks like it might be cool, but something tells me there will be a major drawback. watch, it will be like 5 hours long. 

#22 Posted by pause422 (6181 posts) -

Yeah...from what I've seen, even if Arkham Asylum is completely mediocre in every way, it will still be far better than any Batman game that came before it. Its also one of the only games this year I'm looking forward to so far, so I really hope it turns out as good as it looks. Because think about it for a second- no other Batman game anyone even gave a glance to for existing, let alone ever getting hyped or caring that a new one is coming out...not until now.

#23 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
TwoOneFive said:
"yeah, this looks like it might be cool, but something tells me there will be a major drawback. watch, it will be like 5 hours long. "
That's what I'm kind of afraid of.
#24 Posted by sarahsdad (1088 posts) -
CL60 said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"yeah, this looks like it might be cool, but something tells me there will be a major drawback. watch, it will be like 5 hours long. "
That's what I'm kind of afraid of."
Kind of the same thing here. I guess I'm not worried about it being short so much as I am about finding out that all the levels only have one solution, or that the achievements will be things like "knock 100 guards with a batarang"
#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
sarahsdad said:
"CL60 said:
"TwoOneFive said:
That's what I'm kind of afraid of."
Kind of the same thing here. I guess I'm not worried about it being short so much as I am about finding out that all the levels only have one solution, or that the achievements will be things like "knock 100 guards with a batarang""
Well I will be more disappointed if the game is really short than if it has stupid achievements.
#26 Posted by SAMCRO (51 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" The reason I think this game will actually be good isn't just because the game itself looks awesome. But rather it is taking a license, the Batman license, and using it in such a way that it doesn't glue itself to any particular part of the Batman Universe. It isn't a game based on a particular comic book story arc, cartoon or movie. It is a game with Batman, using Batman licensed characters / enviroments etc and applying it to an original concept and idea.That is why I am looking forward to it. "
 dont really like when superhero games follow a comic book because if they miss the slightest detail the comic book community  flips
(no offense to comic book readers, i am one myself)

#27 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

nah it will probably by a short buggy games (god i hope im wrong).

#28 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -
@SAMCRO said:
" @Hamz said:
" The reason I think this game will actually be good isn't just because the game itself looks awesome. But rather it is taking a license, the Batman license, and using it in such a way that it doesn't glue itself to any particular part of the Batman Universe. It isn't a game based on a particular comic book story arc, cartoon or movie. It is a game with Batman, using Batman licensed characters / enviroments etc and applying it to an original concept and idea.That is why I am looking forward to it. "
 dont really like when superhero games follow a comic book because if they miss the slightest detail the comic book community  flips
(no offense to comic book readers, i am one myself)

"
You can't please everyone and it's really no fun if you're directly copying from a comic book, I like the fact that Directors are given creative liscence to bend and add their own touches to the story, within context of course. Harry Potter for example, I've come out of movie theatres hearing fans complain that they missed at least half the book etc. If it were up to hardcore fans of books/comics we'd be sat down watching a 5 or 6 hour long movie.

As for the game, it looks like it could break the chain of Batman games. I watch the trailers and interviews and it seems like Rocksteady are prooving themselves to be apt game developers and treating this game with huge respect and care. Also getting Mark Hamill as the Joker was a fantastic move on their part, I loved his earlier Joker voice over work.
#29 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -
@CL60 said:
"Oriental_Jams said:
Makes sense."
Mark Hammill is the voice of the Joker. Was also Luke Skywalker, Jedi and sister-snogger extrodinaire.
#30 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -
@jonnyboy said:
" @CL60 said:
"Oriental_Jams said:
Makes sense."
Mark Hammill is the voice of the Joker. Was also Luke Skywalker, Jedi and sister-snogger extrodinaire. "
He was also Cockknocker.
#31 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -
@jakob187: I love that film! Wasn't he also in that Wing Commander game? Wing Commander 3 I think on the pc?
#32 Edited by GrindAxis (42 posts) -

I think this will end up as a pretty good game. Based on all the trailers/previews i've seen it seems to be a polished and fun game based on the Batman universe. It was also delayed, which is mostly a sign the developer/publisher cares about it's quality.

#33 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@Hamz said:
Actually the Arkham Asylum has been in Batman comics for a while but I guess you're right that they aren't just taking the story of one comic and making a game about that. I don't know, the game seems cool.
#34 Posted by jkz (4025 posts) -

My expectations for this game fluctuate far too frequently, so I've decided it will be shit. That way if it's great, i'm pleasently surprised, and if it's shit, well, nothing lost eh?

Then again thats how I look at most games I haven't played at all
#35 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Just 25 more days and we will find out :)

#36 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

I hope this is a good game as well.

The last batman game I remember playing (probably the only one) was Batman Vengence. Looking back, it wasn't absolutely horrible, but still a bit unpolished. Atleast THAT game also had the TAS voices.

#37 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

I really want it to be good, Batman is pretty awesome. Here's to hopin'.

#38 Posted by AngeTheDude (671 posts) -

If this game just "pretty good," it will already be the best Batman game ever.

#39 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@AngeTheDude said:
" If this game just "pretty good," it will already be the best Batman game ever. "
Nah, a few of the really old ones were good. Well, maybe just one of them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.