royalape's Batman: Arkham Asylum (Xbox 360) review

Front runner for 2009 Game of the Year

I can't tell you much that you haven't seen or heard already so I'll jump straight to the highlights...

Positives:

• Brilliant story
  • Excellent voice acting
  • Large open world that changes as the story progresses.
  • Map exploration that reminded me of Metroid
  • Well balanced combat system that encouraged timing over button mashing
  • Great use of classic Batman gadgets
  • Collectible system with special in game maps to help keep track of the ones that haven't been found
  • Fan service in the way of bios, interviews and character trophies which flesh out the Batman universe

Negatives:
  • Playing in detective mode for too long
  • Final battle didn't quite fit the story and was a bit of a let down.
  • Unreal engine makes character models look too shiny and rubberized.  (particularly lesser characters like guards and thugs)
  • Lack of a dedicated jump button felt annoying for a while, but after getting used to some of the gadgets, I didn't notice it any longer.

If you like games, you need to play this.  It's just that simple.

**This review is based on play time consisting of:
Game Time: ~12 Hours