Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

A Few Minutes With the Nearly Finished Batman: Arkham City

Mentalnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Mentalnova

@Brad said:

In case it wasn't clear in the story, I don't think the "spoiler" is anything more than an aggressive bait-and-switch on the part of this game's marketing. I see firsthand all the time how protective developers are of their games before they're released, and I can't imagine there's any other way Rocksteady would have let this tidbit out there three weeks before the game is released.

GAWD that's ALSO a spoiler. lol what a fail day this is for gaming journalism. And to assume such things is to make an ass out of you and me.

I'm not familiar with comics a whole lot, but I do hear on podcasts how they kill off X character and they say it's its own cannon so who's to say Rocksteady weren't given such liberties?

Of course all these editors are too suborn to listen to the majority of complaints for the sake of getting the news out there (they don't want to be censored) - NOONE'S SAYING TO CENSOR THIS, just put a warning at the beginning that involves the word "spoiler".

Alpha1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By Alpha1
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Bestostero

No ever dies in these things...or at least stay dead lol....

This comes out real soon! So excited! I hope it does not disappoint!!!

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By Grissefar
    @Brad said:

In case it wasn't clear in the story, I don't think the "spoiler" is anything more than an aggressive bait-and-switch on the part of this game's marketing. I see firsthand all the time how protective developers are of their games before they're released, and I can't imagine there's any other way Rocksteady would have let this tidbit out there three weeks before the game is released.

Hello Brad, why were you so disinterested in the Dark Souls video? Couldn't you have asked someone else "I'm feeling sleepy, can you take my spot, brah?" Thankfully it's still an amazing video though.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By iamjohn
    @Anwar Sorry the game is ruined for you because you found out something that happens in the first two hours that Rocksteady wants you to know about. It's not the ending or a major plot twist, you dolt. It's the first two hours of what's bound to be at least a twelve-hour game. If you don't want to know things Rocksteady has no problem telling people, don't read previews.
    Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Maajin

This will teach me to really keep away from ANYTHING abou a game I'm waiting for.

Scottish_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#58  Edited By Scottish_Sin

Everybody needs to stop getting bent out of shape about this. If this was a huge plot point in anyway, shape or form then Rocksteady wouldn't be showing it to the press a few weeks before release and then giving them the go ahead to talk about it, right? Besides, let's be smart here. The Joker isn't dead. It's most likely a bait and switch.

I think everybody having a hissy fit over this needs to relax.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Brad said:

This. Anyone who sees this as anything but a devious, ingenious ploy on the part of Rocksteady is fooling themselves.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#60  Edited By Rhaknar

of course, worse than the spoiler / non-spoiler, is this line:

" That's just one more of the many things that are getting me really excited to finally play Arkham City when it hits consoles in just a few short weeks."

ouch Brad, stick that knife in deeper why don't you :( Damn you WB!!!

punpun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By punpun

Who would have thought that pumping yourself full of mutant juice in order to turn yourself into The Incredible Hulk would have any negative effect on the body whatsoever.

Warbot40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Warbot40

Hey ugh should of said SPOILERS before talking about the joker...although im sure hes not actually dead knowing how often they have done this kind of thing in batman.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Gabriel

@iAmJohn said:

@Anwar

What the fuck is this shit? Not spoiling ancient games like Resident Evil during the QL and skipping one of the first cutscenes in LA Noire because 'OMG spoilers', but spoiling this for no fucking reason? You're goddamn right, I'm mad. I saw that Brad wrote it and thought he is one of the most careful person concerning spoilers, but apparently he isnt'. No, seriously fuck you for spoiling this.

Dude, it's two hours into the game, AND WAS SHOWN BY EOCKSTEADY THEMSELVES. Do you not understand what a spoiler is or are you just really stupid?

Uh Quake 4.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By HandsomeDead

These comments are great.

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Tomorrowman

I can just picture patrick in the whiskey media office running in slow motion to hit a big red button that stops stories from autopublishing. he was tweeting about the hate before the story hit.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By iamjohn
    @Gabriel Wasn't a spoiler either - Raven wanted people to know about it. Would the surprise have been better if they didn't tell anyone before hand? Maybe. Does that change the fact that it's not a spoiler by virtue of the developers explicitly telling you about it before the game's release? Nope.

Again, if you're that sensitive to this stuff, don't read anything about a game.
    WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By WJist

Video Game Spoiler Mad Libs: (Your favorite character)_________ will (verb) _________ and only you can (verb)________ him/her!

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but it's not that big of a deal. Aerith dies. Plot points happen. It's the how and why that matters.

TheYear20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TheYear20XX
    Kadzork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Kadzork

Pretty bummed about not being able to experience that moment for myself as it was intended. But goddamn am I now eager to find out what happens next.

PrinceGumball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PrinceGumball

Is it TRULY a spoiler!? IS IT!?

Kadzork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Kadzork

If nothing it's a pretty good twist in the story. Now I and many others will just see it coming and it will have little impact.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Brendan

@DaBuddaDa said:

Rocksteady intentionally put this out there for the press to write about. What Brad said about bait-and-switch is spot on. It happens at the very beginning of the game. Some of you guys are such obsessive, knee-jerk imbeciles it's downright embarrassing. How's this: if you don't want to be spoiled on websites, or ads, or TV, or message boards, or in podcasts or on the radio, then crawl into a hole and stay there.

It's Mass Effect 2 all over again at GIantbomb.

peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By peewi

@PrinceGumball said:

Is it TRULY a spoiler!? IS IT!?

I'm gonna go with "yes". It is definitely something I would have vastly preferred to surprise me while I'm playing the game, rather than see casually mentioned in a preview.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#75  Edited By Yummylee

Reading about The Joker actually made me kinda sad, like emotionally... probably down to the Enslaved main theme playing in the background. I could watch the Saddam hanging video and still elicit a tear with this shit playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're all very silly for assuming a story hook is a spoiler, comics announce the death of a character all the time, it wont be permanent and it's to get people in by going 'Holy shit the Joker dies? I gotta see how that happens'.

ceno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ceno

Well I blame myself. I read an article that Brad 'spoils all games and then gets mad when games get spoiled for him' Shoemaker wrote.

Vinyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Vinyl

People complaining about the Joker spoiler are probably the same ones that complained about journalists reporting that Assassin's Creed is more scifi than history at the start. If they have anything to be upset about, it's the way the information is presented - Kotaku did it in the wrong, most attention hoarding way possible, so I think Brad handled it much better & I agree that if it's this early on, chances are it's less of a plot point & more of a reason to stir publicity. This is so comic book death-y; he'll be back, guys. Good on you, Mr. Shoemaker.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Chop

I won't be buying this at launch because WB charges extra for their games here. So they can go fuck themselves!  

As for the spoilers, I've never really been hung up on spoilers and I don't care about them. But the way Brad just kinda puts it out there without any warning at all was a little ignorant and inconsiderate on his part. 

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#81  Edited By Duffyside

Waahh waah spoilers that aren't actually spoilers, waah waah.

Here's what people should really be crying about—calling Arkham's combat "best-in-class." Unless you don't count this as a 3D action game like Ninja Gaiden or, the real answer, Bayonetta.

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Tomorrowman

I think it boils down to a case of "those who can shouldn't always". So Brad didn't pull a Kirk Hamilton and punch you in the face with it, but just because a developer shows you something doesn't mean it should hit the public, right?

What if a writer got to see Sixth Sense early, and then posted an article headlined "He's really a dead guy" three weeks before the movie was out? What if said writers defense was "It's probably not a big deal because the people who made the movie were excited about it." That's pretty much what was going on here.

At the end of the day though, these guys are just doing their job, it's not their fault. It's just the way the industry is. People who screen movies early know it's understood they shouldn't say certain things. But there are NO surprises in the game industry. By the time a game comes out you know every character, every story beat, every move, upgrade, and enemy. I blame it on the halo 2 switch that freaked out millions of frat boys.

Game developers say "Here's my whole game" to journalists, and journalists say "Here's the whole game" to us. It's the internet, welcome to it.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#83  Edited By TyrellOCP

Why is Batman punching Richard O'Brien?

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By altairre

Good god then just don´t read the fucking article if you care so much about the storyline. Seriously, how is he supposed to write an article without giving any new information at all. Would you really believe for one second that the Joker dies in this game? For me this is more a conformation that they try to make the story more intriguing. Well written article, Brad.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Chop

People are mad about the UNMARKED spoiler. If he had put a warning up, I'm sure most people wouldn't be upset. Now I think Brad's dick is starting to get dry, better get your mouth back to it. 

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By mrfluke

you know id normally say suck it up ppl, but looking at igns article, they handled the situation much better by using a spoiler tag, you shouldve used a spoiler tag, because there are people that want to read about everything else about the game except story even if its a bait and switch, gotta keep your audience in mind brad

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By generic_username

Remember Mass Effect 2? This sounds like one of those kind of deals, where it's a part of the story they want to promote. Also, It's so early in the game, it's not really a plot twist, it's likely part of the premise for the game. 

Also, Let's completely ignore anything else that was written in the article because of  spoilers. 

Also, "would you kindly" is just a phrase used for controlling your character in Bioshock. 
    Also, Assasin's Creed is in an electronic world that is vaguely similer to the Matrix. 
    Also, you are all going to play Batman, even though you already know oneplot point.
    Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Hadoken101

I'm not so much pissed about the spoiler as much as the fact that it was unmarked and just thrown in out of NOWHERE.

zachary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By zachary

So this is basically Sherlock Holmes 7 then, right?

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By UnrealDP

Cool, never got too into the first game and am still looking forward to the second, also everyone crying about spoilers should calm down a bit, i mean, during preview coverage Rocksteady front and center said they wanted people to write about that and it's in the very first 2 hours....

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#94  Edited By karneh

Its almost as if no one read the article.

If the game's developers considered this any sort of truly pivotal plot twist worth keeping hidden, they wouldn't have shown it to the press

the_dudefather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By the_dudefather

At least GB put the spoiler in the article, if you don't want to know about AC, then don't read about it.

Kotaku on the other hand, are buttholes. Sure, it's just a plot hook, but they removed any choice in the matter, would've been nice to be surprised.

Game_Baron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Game_Baron

Nice article, Brad. I'm pretty sure that Rocksteady wouldn't mess around with the Joker dying so early, unless it was for a good enough reason. Who knows, it could be that the

Joker that died was a decoy and the real one escaped. (Don't hold me to that, this is just my, and my guess alone, so don't go raging on me)
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#97  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Idiots. (Almost) all of you.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#98  Edited By TehFlan
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Anwar: But that's pretty much the equivalent of Joker throwing a smoke bomb and running out of the room.

It's just a thing he does to get away and if it was super apparent to Brad then obviously it wasn't an important story beat.

Are you telling me that if Brad said that the Joker got away after an early encounter you would still get mad?

No, you're being a fucking moron...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By cikame

Holy christ Spoiler of the century, what the hell man.

BY THE WAY, DARTH VADER IS LUKES' FATHER, HIS FAAAAAAAATHEEEEEEEEER!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.