Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Am I missing something about the ending? (Obvious Huge Spoilers)

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SamStrife

So Joker caused Batman to drop the the cure for Titan poisoning and Joker died as a result. That's fine but what about the rest of Gotham?

Batman said himself he had no problem dying if Joker went too and only went after the cure when Joker revelaed that he shipped the tainted blood to hosptials over the city, which Oracle confirms when she talks about cases of poisoning in Mercy and Gotham General Hosptials. If the cure is lost what happens to all the innocent patients of these hosptials?

Did I miss a part where they said they'd made their own cure or something like that?

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By PandaBear

That's a good point ... Maybe there's a Robin sidequest DLC coming? He just kind of pops up and pisses off for no real reason. Someone on here will have a better answer, but I'm as curious as you.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HellBrendy

I do believe Oracle contacted Batman close to the end and said they found a cure for the people.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@HellBrendy: The problem there was that I did that mission and BOOM, it was fucking Mad Hatter, who did God knows what to my syringe. Therefore....either Mad Hatter just ruined my dose and they DID find a cure....or it was all bullshit.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Crash_Happy

@HellBrendy: No I think that was just the Hatter messing with his mind.

It is left in the wind but ultimately batman only needs a specimen, or even potentialy a blood sample to work from. So I think you just assume it got wrapped up.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PandaBear

@SpencerTucksen said:

@HellBrendy: The problem there was that I did that mission and BOOM, it was fucking Mad Hatter, who did God knows what to my syringe. Therefore....either Mad Hatter just ruined my dose and they DID find a cure....or it was all bullshit.

That dosage was fake. The Mad Hatter said he broadcast some subliminal stuff (great on details aren't I?) and basically whatever Batman most desired was at that spot - and what he most desired was a cure, but instead he was drugged. The real cure is the one he drinks half of at the end which he was going to share with the Joker before he spilt the rest.

The real question is if Batman is on death's door, and Mr Freeze made the only two cures (and one is destroyed), how the fuck did thos people in those hospitals survive? They've been exposed to virus for way longer. Granted a few will die, but when Batman leaves Arkham City he sould have been at least a little concerned or tried to gather SOME of the cure off the ground with a bat-sponge or something. But he just kinda walks off. At least tell Comissioner Gordon you tool!

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#7  Edited By Soap

@PandaBear said:

bat-sponge

That single thing right there, is fucking perfection.

I'm now hoping for bat-sponge related DLC

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Yeah lot of lose threads, kinda weird... I mean I would love DLC for the game but I would more just love closer. Hmm... maybe it's set-up for Arkham 3 in which everyone has turning into a Joker zombie.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#9  Edited By Lazyaza

You clearly missed the part where Oracle says directly to batman "we've figured out the cure and are manufacturing it for the people of gotham". No joke this was said, you missed it.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SamStrife

@Lazyaza: Yeah I must have done. Thanks for pointing that out.

Out of curiosity, when abouts was it said?

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HellBrendy

@Lazyaza: This is what I believe too.

Yes people, I know about the Mad Hatter (too bad he got eaten of with such a small thing), but I believe Alfred only talked about a cure for Batman. It was Oracle who later told Battyboy they found a cure for the people. Then again, I'm not saying I can't be wrong.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lazyaza

@SamStrife:

I can't remember exactly, it's late game though when batman does the usual gears of war finger in ear thing and its definitely before the final boss fight. I suppose it would be easy to miss now that I think about it lol.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PandaBear

@Lazyaza said:

You clearly missed the part where Oracle says directly to batman "we've figured out the cure and are manufacturing it for the people of gotham". No joke this was said, you missed it.

I missed it too :S but fuck that's a bit silly, isn't it? I mean Mr Freeze says explicitly it will take years to make a cure because of how long it takes to bond with human DNA or something, so you have to get some of Ra's Ah Ghul's blood because he's 600 years old. I mean a big part of that game is getting a cure and needing to get it from Ra. Then bang, forget it, Orcale has made a cure. Nobody else could. Mr Freeze, a man who has DEDICATED his life to studying diseases so he can cure his wife says it can't be done, but then suddenly "oh hey, I found a cure under my couch along with some change.

Sorry if I seem like a complainer. I really liked this game. But that feels like a big gap to me. I mean why tell us the infection has spread beyond Arkham City? So Robin could show up for 8.3 seconds? I dunno. This bugs me in an otherwise great game,

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SamStrife

@PandaBear: I'm with you on this one Duder. A large portion of the game is spent hunting this cure to help the people of Gotham because it's impossible to make a cure otherwise. For them then to just turn around and go, oh nevermind, it completely trivialises the whole thing.

It all seems like Rocksteady just needed an excuse just go to find Ra.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lazyaza

@PandaBear: Oh your not alone, Arkham City definitely feels like a game that was going to be so much bigger and grander and a metric fuck tonne of plot, character encounters and story was removed or simplified for whatever reasons. I think batman sent like a data chips info about the cure to Oracle and its what allowed her to synthesize the cure eventually, it was pretty dumb how that conveniently just happened after all the setup of freeze saying its impossible etc etc.

Its still one of the greatest games I've ever played, easily a 5/5 like everyone says, but man it does not have the focus that Asylum did which is a big part of why the reviewers that chose to mark City down a tad did so. I'm glad rocksteady had the crazy ambition to go as nuts as they did but I really didn't need every single batman villain under the sun in this game. Even two face really didn't do much, you encounter him twice and the second time your just watching him shoot rockets before you knock him out lol.

Avatar image for captainreynolds
    CaptainReynolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By CaptainReynolds

@HellBrendy said:

@Lazyaza: This is what I believe too.

Yes people, I know about the Mad Hatter (too bad he got eaten of with such a small thing), but I believe Alfred only talked about a cure for Batman. It was Oracle who later told Battyboy they found a cure for the people. Then again, I'm not saying I can't be wrong.

battyboy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdcAJm73vcs

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By N7
    @PandaBear: Batman gave Robin that thing so he could take it to Oracle to make a cure.

And also, remember how they said that Oracle wasn't going to be a major character because she was kidnapped and Batman had to find her? What happened to that?

Me and my friend were talking about it yesterday and Rocksteady just straight up lied about a bunch of things that was supposed to be in the game.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bestostero

The bigger plot hole is why didnt anyone remove Batman's mask and figure out his identity? lol

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@xhavoc86: It's more fun having surprises! :D

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bestostero

@SpencerTucksen said:

@xhavoc86: It's more fun having surprises! :D

I dont get it, you got villains who know who Batman is Ra's al Ghul, Talia, Hugo Strange... and you got villains who got the opportunity to find out Joker, Mad Hatter...and nothing comes from either sides lol

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fetchfox

@xhavoc86: Ra's Al Ghul wanted Batman to be his successor so of course he didn't tell, Talia loved him and Strange never got the chance. The Mad Hatter was frickin' mad, and only wanted control of Bats. And Joker? He'd probably say "why spoil the fun?".

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@fetchfox said:

@xhavoc86: Mad Hatter was frickin' mad, he only wanted control of Bats. And Joker? He'd probably say "why spoil the fun?".

Heyyy.....didn't he actually say that? Lol, Feels like that was exactly what he said. And Hatter was flipping the fuck out when you go back to his tea party. When you talk to him, he mentions he needed Batman in order "to win." What exactly, I do not know.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

This is just confirming the long standing fact that Alfred is capable of anything and you all just need to shut your god damn mouths and accept the truth.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fetchfox

@SpencerTucksen: Hehe, I like to think I know my Joker. He'd rather play cat and mouse for an eternity than go right for the cheese. You should check out the Mad Hatters interview tapes with strange, they are very creepy. You may have to collect a good deal of Riddler stuff first though.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By jorbear

@Soap: You wanna see my "bat-sponge", baby?

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@fetchfox said:

@SpencerTucksen: Hehe, I like to think I know my Joker. He'd rather play cat and mouse for an eternity than go right for the cheese. You should check out the Mad Hatters interview tapes with strange, they are very creepy. You may have to collect a good deal of Riddler stuff first though.

I actually have finished all of the side missions except the Riddler one and I know I've got at least 300 or so Riddler trophies/riddles. The Mad Hatter, Zsasz, and a couple other guys turned in fantastic performances, to me. You can feel how disturbed they are, but you can see how blatantly sick they are as well. It was just great, to me. Definitely quite real-feeling.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bestostero

@SpencerTucksen said:

@fetchfox said:

@xhavoc86: Mad Hatter was frickin' mad, he only wanted control of Bats. And Joker? He'd probably say "why spoil the fun?".

Heyyy.....didn't he actually say that? Lol, Feels like that was exactly what he said. And Hatter was flipping the fuck out when you go back to his tea party. When you talk to him, he mentions he needed Batman in order "to win." What exactly, I do not know.

Oh come on, more fun to be had if they know who he really is :)

cavemantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cavemantom

@xhavoc86: The game also starts with Strange warning Batman that he'll reveal his identity if he interferes with Strange's plans... Then Strange does nothing while Batman wrecks shop.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@cavemantom said:

@xhavoc86: The game also starts with Strange warning Batman that he'll reveal his identity if he interferes with Strange's plans... Then Strange does nothing while Batman wrecks shop.

Not really.

Batman didn't even know what Strange's plan was until it was in full effect. By that point, Strange (in his mind) had already won. Right up until he gets shawshanked by Ra's. And yeah, it's Ra's. Not Ra. Ra's.

As for the cure, Batman sent the data for Oracle and the Bat Fam to figure out with Robin. That's why he gets shooed away so quickly by Batman. He can rely on them to fix the cure up for Gotham's hospitals while Batman deals with Protocol Ten and the madness that's unfolding.

As for the story of Arkham City. I loved it. Batman has to wrestle with the undeniable results that Strange and Ra's have gotten out of the project, which conflicts with his Do Not Kill mentality. At the end of the day, the "Political Prisoner" aspect of saving people in Arkham City is probably there for the more black and white player. In reality, Batman doesn't need a reason to stop Protocol Ten other than "These are people, scummy people, but people." I thought it Arkham City did a great job of showing Batman's resolve to stick with his clearly defined morals and principles.

Can't wait for Batman 3.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bestostero

Doesn't matter, fact is, they have some crucial information, and fail to do anything about it lol

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SamStrife

@KingWilly said:

@cavemantom said:

Not really.

Batman didn't even know what Strange's plan was until it was in full effect. By that point, Strange (in his mind) had already won. Right up until he gets shawshanked by Ra's. And yeah, it's Ra's. Not Ra. Ra's.

As for the cure, Batman sent the data for Oracle and the Bat Fam to figure out with Robin. That's why he gets shooed away so quickly by Batman. He can rely on them to fix the cure up for Gotham's hospitals while Batman deals with Protocol Ten and the madness that's unfolding.

As for the story of Arkham City. I loved it. Batman has to wrestle with the undeniable results that Strange and Ra's have gotten out of the project, which conflicts with his Do Not Kill mentality. At the end of the day, the "Political Prisoner" aspect of saving people in Arkham City is probably there for the more black and white player. In reality, Batman doesn't need a reason to stop Protocol Ten other than "These are people, scummy people, but people." I thought it Arkham City did a great job of showing Batman's resolve to stick with his clearly defined morals and principles.

Can't wait for Batman 3.

You see I'd totally buy that if it wasn't for the part where the cure had already been figured out by Freeze but it wouldn't work because of the way the enzymes bonded. The whole point of tracking down Ra's was to get his blood which would stabalise the formula, Batman himself said it's the only way.

Batman may have gave the formula to Robin but it's completely useless as it breaks down before it can take effect. If Fries can't come up with an idea of how to stabalise it, I highly doubt Oracle can...and even if she does it still trivialises the whole search for the forumla bit.

EDIT: Just found the clip of Robin in the game and Batman gives him a blood sample to compare to the tainted batch. There's no hint of a forumla in the conversation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A8SxXup6-A

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

@SamStrife said:

EDIT: Just found the clip of Robin in the game and Batman gives him a blood sample to compare to the tainted batch. There's no hint of a forumla in the conversation.

Yeah, Batman only gave his blood sample to Robin to see who in Gotham was infected. At that point in the game he hadn't gone to Ra's yet to even complete the cure.

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By WilyBoy

@SamStrife: Batman's main priority was getting the infected blood out of the hospitals in Gotham. He hands Robin a sample of his own blood, and Robin then heads to the hospitals. Joker had slipped his own blood in with the hospitals' blood supplies, but the game takes place over the course of a couple of days, possibly even 24 hours. I don't think there would be a ton of blood transfusions taking place in that time. The goal is to get the blood out of the hospitals BEFORE anyone gets infected.

That being said, Oracle does state that they've ginnied up a cure by the end of the game. That is a little cheap since Freeze received the only sample of Ra's blood, so you must assume he was either mistaken about the enzyme being the only answer, or the medical professionals in Gotham found a way to accelerate the process (I doubt Oracle herself would actually be the one developing the cure). To me, it does not seem like a cure for the general population was really necessary to close out the story, as very few people would have been infected.

Still, I don't think it trivializes the search for Ra's blood. Batman and the Joker both need a cure immediately, they do not have time to go get a second opinion from the doctors of Gotham. Freeze provides the only solution they can get on short notice, and Ra's blood is a key component. Without it, Batman and Joker would both die.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SamStrife

@WilyBoy: Except Batman said so himself he would be more than happy to die if Joker went aswell. It was only when Joker revealed he he tainted Gotham hostpitals when Batman decided he needed to find the cure.

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WilyBoy

@SamStrife: He still saves himself and attempts to save Joker in the end, even though it will have no effect on the poisoned blood in Gotham. Batman doesn't let anyone die if he can help it, but he does operate on fear. Telling the Joker he'd die just to see the Joker die was more of an act of intimidation than the honest-to-God truth.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SamStrife

@WilyBoy: Never considered it like that, makes sense though.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@WilyBoy said:

@SamStrife: Batman's main priority was getting the infected blood out of the hospitals in Gotham. He hands Robin a sample of his own blood, and Robin then heads to the hospitals. Joker had slipped his own blood in with the hospitals' blood supplies, but the game takes place over the course of a couple of days, possibly even 24 hours. I don't think there would be a ton of blood transfusions taking place in that time. The goal is to get the blood out of the hospitals BEFORE anyone gets infected.

That being said, Oracle does state that they've ginnied up a cure by the end of the game. That is a little cheap since Freeze received the only sample of Ra's blood, so you must assume he was either mistaken about the enzyme being the only answer, or the medical professionals in Gotham found a way to accelerate the process (I doubt Oracle herself would actually be the one developing the cure). To me, it does not seem like a cure for the general population was really necessary to close out the story, as very few people would have been infected.

Still, I don't think it trivializes the search for Ra's blood. Batman and the Joker both need a cure immediately, they do not have time to go get a second opinion from the doctors of Gotham. Freeze provides the only solution they can get on short notice, and Ra's blood is a key component. Without it, Batman and Joker would both die.

It doesn't even take place over 24 hours. It's one night. So about 10-12 hours or so. Granted you can squeezed about 40 hours out of that timeline, but hey, video games.

@SamStrife said:

@KingWilly said:

@cavemantom said:

Not really.

Can't wait for Batman 3.

You see I'd totally buy that if it wasn't for the part where the cure had already been figured out by Freeze but it wouldn't work because of the way the enzymes bonded. The whole point of tracking down Ra's was to get his blood which would stabalise the formula, Batman himself said it's the only way.

Batman may have gave the formula to Robin but it's completely useless as it breaks down before it can take effect. If Fries can't come up with an idea of how to stabalise it, I highly doubt Oracle can...and even if she does it still trivialises the whole search for the forumla bit.

You need to keep in mind that when he gets infected, it's the only way to get the cure in Arkham City. I was wrong about the cure going with Robin, granted, but you have to think about the Batcave and all of the other Bat Fam people in Gotham. The facilities under Wayne Manor are way more advanced and complete than anything in the run down GCPD building that Freeze inhabits.Or hell, Lucius Fox with the entire Wayne medical division at his disposal. It is a little Deus Ex Machina, but it is entirely plausible that the team synthesized the cure twithout Ra's blood. It doesn't devalue the hunt for a cure, because there's still no way that Batman could have gotten one without Freeze's help within Arkham City. The Bat Fam had more time to A) get the tainted blood out of Gotham hospitals and B) work only on the cure during that night because unlike Batman, they weren't out stopping all the mayhem that's happening in Arkham City.

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WilyBoy

@KingWilly: Good point, I hadn't even considered that the resources of Wayne Industries could be put on the task of finding a cure. With a sample of infected blood as well as a head start based on Freeze's research, a turnaround time of a few hours becomes more believable.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deskp

mister freeze hangs around and they have a dead Ra's so they can make more

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PandaBear

@N7 said:

@PandaBear: Batman gave Robin that thing so he could take it to Oracle to make a cure. And also, remember how they said that Oracle wasn't going to be a major character because she was kidnapped and Batman had to find her? What happened to that? Me and my friend were talking about it yesterday and Rocksteady just straight up lied about a bunch of things that was supposed to be in the game.

I avoided most of the coverage except for the story ... I only cared about the gameplay stuff. I wanted to be fresh with what's happening. I'm glad I did or i would have been a little let down by their bullshit by the sounds of things.

And I really can't stress enough how much I liked this game. But if we're all talking about the plot and covering up holes then I think the failed. I'm hesitant to blame Paul Dini as I do have a LOT of faith in his writing. But maybe his explanations were trimmed to get back to the action quicker. Either way, I liked the story enough. The Joker revelation actually surprised me and some of the side stories were cool. But I don't think anyone could claim the narrative is flawless, and that whole cure thing could have been handled a lot better.

Oh well... back to finding thise Riddler trophies. (Oh and Rocksteady, more Riddler trophies =/= more fun. Seriously, they used to fun hidden object, now they're as common as shit... they should have halved the number!)

imjustbettr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By imjustbettr

@PandaBear said:

@SpencerTucksen said:

That dosage was fake. The Mad Hatter said he broadcast some subliminal stuff (great on details aren't I?) and basically whatever Batman most desired was at that spot - and what he most desired was a cure, but instead he was drugged. The real cure is the one he drinks half of at the end which he was going to share with the Joker before he spilt the rest.

The real question is if Batman is on death's door, and Mr Freeze made the only two cures (and one is destroyed), how the fuck did thos people in those hospitals survive? They've been exposed to virus for way longer. Granted a few will die, but when Batman leaves Arkham City he sould have been at least a little concerned or tried to gather SOME of the cure off the ground with a bat-sponge or something. But he just kinda walks off. At least tell Comissioner Gordon you tool!

bat-sponge :D

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#42  Edited By fox01313

It's Batman, I'm sure that once he gets the cure & knows it works by using himself as a test subject then he can put the batcomputer/oracle to work at taking his blood with the antidote, making a neutral serum then dumping it in the water supply to fix just about everyone as long as they are not drinking booze all the time. Nothing wrong with drinking booze but with this cure delivery method, water is better. Now if I can figure out how to no longer be stuck trying to get out of the steel mill after getting the last gadget, game would be great. Still need to go through the extra catwoman/challenge stuff.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lukeweizer

There was a headset chat with Robin saying he got the cure out to hospital.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I guess the public might have got exposed to a less significant or early form of the virus while Bruce was exposed to a stronger version of it or the virus reached an advanced stage that the other vaccine would have proved pointless.

Hell I don't know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.