Anyone Else Actually LIKE Using Catwoman?

• 95 results
#1 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

From what I can tell on the good ol' internet it seems that many people did not enjoy playing as Catwoman. Be it her lack of gadgets, her rhythm game-like button inputs while she climbs, or just because she wasn't the goddamn Batman. Like some I was a bit worried that Catwoman would be just a cheap gimmick or just shoehorned into the plot. And while she kind of was, I found myself enjoying how different her predator sections were when compared to Batman's. Her lack of gadgets and weaker constitution meant that I had to spend a bit more time planning out my systematic take down of the random goons - especially when I returned to some locations to get Riddler trophies. I found her third chapter quite fun to play, even if it was rather brief and not terribly difficult. Maybe it was because with Batman I could afford to mess up once or twice during a predator section so I often got through those in a sloppy fashion that I found Catwoman to be so radically different. I couldn't just hang out on a gargoyle, disable some weapons and then freeze guys. Whatever it was, I found myself really enjoying playing as Catwoman and feel like I'm in the minority on this. Which is totally fine. I'm just curious.

So how do you guys and gals feel about Catwoman?

#2 Posted by N7 (3572 posts) -

I didn't like her, but she's so quick that I like to play as her. She has the speed of what I expected Batman to have. I don't get screwed over nearly as much when I get a good rhythm going, unlike Batman, where he goes into fucking GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING SLOW GODDAMN FUCKING MOTION while the other enemies SPEED UP TO COMPENSATE FOR THAT FACT. YOU ARE BATMAN!!! ACT LIKE IT!

#3 Posted by forestofdeath (252 posts) -

I personally loved the change of pace. There's something quite rhythmic about taking out a guard below you, then leaping to timed button presses across a vertical structure for a narrow escape. She's nimble, fluid, and above all: forces you to plot out a plan of attack before approaching any enemy encounter. Having just finished up her last side quest, I'm bummed I won't be able to use her anymore.

#4 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@forestofdeath said:

I personally loved the change of pace. There's something quite rhythmic about taking out a guard below you, then leaping to timed button presses across a vertical structure for a narrow escape. She's nimble, fluid, and above all: forces you to plot out a plan of attack before approaching any enemy encounter. Having just finished up her last side quest, I'm bummed I won't be able to use her anymore.

You can use her all the time if you want. Sometimes I just like to roam the city as Catwoman, beating up random dudes because why not.

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

Catwoman is great. I love the way she plays and her attitude is, as usual, a great photo negative to Batmans. I very much appreciate the amount of care that went into the characters of the game.

#6 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5371 posts) -

She is one of my favorite parts of the game. I love her combat animations, and I like traversing the city with her and trying to get those "Perfect" ratings when climbing.

#7 Posted by MrMazz (905 posts) -

Catwoman was a nice change of pace but felt like a quicker less well equiped Batwoman. Also the fact that her and Batz share teh same exp meant Catwoman was way underpowered. Still if they released like a expansion campaign of her stuff that would be nice.

#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@N7 said:
I didn't like her, but she's so quick that I like to play as her. She has the speed of what I expected Batman to have. I don't get screwed over nearly as much when I get a good rhythm going, unlike Batman, where he goes into fucking GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING SLOW GODDAMN FUCKING MOTION while the other enemies SPEED UP TO COMPENSATE FOR THAT FACT. YOU ARE BATMAN!!! ACT LIKE IT!
I haven't played the game yet but I fully support this post.
#9 Posted by forestofdeath (252 posts) -

@DonChipotle said:

@forestofdeath said:

You can use her all the time if you want. Sometimes I just like to roam the city as Catwoman, beating up random dudes because why not.

I guess I meant for story reasons--the appeal of random encounters, regardless of whether I'm Batman or Catwoman, wears thin pretty quickly for me.

#10 Posted by Noct (306 posts) -

I'm surprised to hear anyone complain about Catwoman, I think she is hands-down the coolest part of the game. The rollout of it through DLC was prettty lame, but for "free" content, I'm blown away. I think her traversal mechanics are so much more interesting that Batman's. I'd like to see a whole seperate DLC package of missions or even a stand alone game that starred her.

#11 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

From a combat standpoint, I like using her more than Batman. I usually stick with the basics (strikes, counters, and dodges) and I find Catwoman's agility a bit more fun than Batman's strength approach to fighting.

#12 Posted by CrazedMaverick (214 posts) -

@Andorski said:

From a combat standpoint, I like using her more than Batman. I usually stick with the basics (strikes, counters, and dodges) and I find Catwoman's agility a bit more fun than Batman's strength approach to fighting.

I agree, but I think she's too limited against gun-toting thugs.

#13 Posted by Nightriff (4859 posts) -

I enjoy her fight style just as much as Batman, I think of her as a different pace and I enjoy it, now her story missions on the other hand.......complete shit, that is all

#14 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

@CrazedMaverick said:

@Andorski said:

I haven't gotten to a part where she fights a group of thugs with guns, but my method that I use with Batman applies. I rarely use the bat claw to disarm (usually because I forget that I have that move), so instead I just prioritize armed enemies first and roll my way to them and wail on them. Even on hard the enemies rarely get a shot off on me.

#15 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5036 posts) -

I like using Batman worlds better but I have fun with Catwoman as well.

#16 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@Andorski said:

@CrazedMaverick said:

@Andorski said:

I haven't gotten to a part where she fights a group of thugs with guns, but my method that I use with Batman applies. I rarely use the bat claw to disarm (usually because I forget that I have that move), so instead I just prioritize armed enemies first and roll my way to them and wail on them. Even on hard the enemies rarely get a shot off on me.

Her last story mission is all dudes with guns at the end.

#17 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

I love Catwoman, she is so fun to play as!!! I really think she plays better than Batman... I do agree that she is a little limited, but I have more fun on her than I do as Batman...but I love them both...Robin is also very nice :)

#18 Posted by blake_brown (116 posts) -

I enjoy playing as Catwoman. I prefer her and Robin in the Challenge Rooms; it's a nice chain of pace. I do not, however, like how she traverses the city in the campaign. It takes too damn long to get from place to place.

#19 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I like her a lot. As you said, she feels different and she makes up for her lack of gadgets with much more agility.

#20 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Best part is her whip crack sound. So satisfying.

#21 Posted by Daiphyer (1301 posts) -

I really liked playing as Catwoman(Not done with the story yet, though), and actually prefer her way of traversing the word to Batman's. She is just so much fun to move around with. Also her combat animations are beautiful.

#22 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Love her in the combat challenges. Her special combos and the caltrops are dope. And she's fast! The traversal mechanic is inferior to Batman's, so she's a bit of a downer in the main game.

Also - with that sexy crawl/prowl face down ass up sneak animation, I can't help but love her (long time). Classic animated series costume in challenges has unlimited sex appeal.

#23 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

She's fun to use in combat challenges, but I haven't quite figured out her predator appeal yet.

#24 Posted by Milkman (16479 posts) -

I liked her in combat scenarios but her predator aspects (especially her last mission) kind of sucked.

#25 Edited by mpgeist (593 posts) -

I love playing Catwoman, the caltrops are awesome and find myself trying to use them as Batman, lol. Also although her traversal is less convenient, sometimes I like using if only for the fact that it gives me a chance to run around on the streets. Hard to do when Batman can just glide everywhere.

#26 Posted by Miningguyx360 (324 posts) -

I like to stare at her T/A. Does that count?

#27 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

@Miningguyx360 said:

I like to stare at her T/A. Does that count?

Yes. Although Batman in his Batman Beyond suit has a sweeter ass.

#28 Posted by deskp (444 posts) -

I enjoyed all the catwoman content. However i wouldnt want them to make her climbing better if we see her in another game. I think she could have some more gadgets tho, A hacking tool and some explosive wouldnt be too out of characther for a robber.

#29 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

I really like her sections. I wish they were longer...

#30 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

Catwomen is a beast at Combat, better then Batman in many ways. Her predator stuff is tricky though. Hopefully her stealth challenges are not insanely hard. I'm bad enough at the advanced ones with Batman.

#31 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

I would too, not for gameplay purposes.

#32 Posted by Lady_of_the_patriots (73 posts) -

I am a girl, and even I think cat-woman Looks kind of sexy in the game.

But No I don't really enjoy playing as her. I'm playing as the damn bat, I don't want to be some kitty-cat.

#33 Posted by Veektarius (4538 posts) -

People talk about Catwoman's lack of gadgets, and I guess that numerically that's true, but Batman doesn't have anything that works as well as as the caltrops, and the bolo is a better version of a batarang. Whip grab is inferior to batclaw, though, since you can't transition it to a clothesline. The only gadget I really miss with her is the ice grenade, since I generally use that to deal with enemies who are tough and I want to save for later. In predator missions, though, she does suffer a bit.

#34 Posted by MachoFantastico (4474 posts) -

Some of my favourite parts of the game so far, guess it's down to taste. After playing Catwomen, Batman can feel sluggish which I guess he is in comparison. Love the detailed animation differences between the two as well.

#35 Edited by fetchfox (1214 posts) -

I like to play as Catwoman. I love her way of traversing the city, and she's real fun to fight with. Though I'm not really looking forward to getting all her riddler trophies... but I wanna beat that riddle makin' sonofabitch.

#36 Posted by niamahai (1404 posts) -

one of her finishing moves straight up knees the dude in the balls. Catwoman is awesome!

#37 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I just hate how much more limited her traversal is.

#38 Posted by Largo6661 (331 posts) -

i really liked the catwomen bits.

#39 Posted by TranceQuina (149 posts) -

I actually *preferred* playing as her, that is until her bullshit final mission.

It's just personal taste though; I've always had more interest in the more acrobatic comic book characters, and I thought they did a great job making her feel limited yet highly capable. She got around the city just fine but without it being as brain-dead a process as flying everywhere. The ceiling stuff they gave her in her sequences made her infiltration a bit more open-ended, while with Batman I had to resort to a little too much fuck-this-I'm-just-gonna-drop-down-and-clock-these-dudes-all-at-once. In short, playing Catwoman was more like how I *wished* I was encouraged to play as Batman.

I tend to have more fun in games with a lot of restrictions rather than those with a lot of freedoms. The game feels more like a game and less like a toy.

But again, after failing her final mission enough times I didn't really wanna to play the game at all anymore...

#40 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

eh...

she's a nice addition to break up the gameplay but overall i'm ready to switch back to bats after about 15 minutes

-Her predator vision is pretty much useless. It's tough to see not to mention she can't distinguish between armed and unarmed enemies
- I don't understand the purpose of the whole timing mini game of getting up the side of buildings. It's one thing to have to press buttons to get up the side of the building but the fact that it's timed seems irrelevant

Only thing i really like about her is her movement and animations. Her combat isn't anything to write home about either IMO. Although it's awesome to down 5 enemies at once with a well placed caltrop

#41 Posted by Strife777 (1489 posts) -

I like the change of pace she brings, I also like her aesthetically both for her look and her animations. She's super sexy and I like that.

#42 Posted by AngeTheDude (638 posts) -

I'm enjoying the Catwoman sections I've played so far.

#43 Posted by RJMacReady (346 posts) -

I like her combat animations and fighting with her, but when you have to cover long distances her movements look tremendously unrealistic, like she was fired out of a gun, she just moves to fast. I guess you can't blame developers, she was an add-on. They can be excused for not adding Assassins Creed level climbing/etc.

#44 Posted by Kelswitch (141 posts) -

Her animations are outstanding, from the sneak crawl to the swan dive she'll do off the top of a building to swing off a lamppost blows my mind.

#45 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I don't understand the pointless 'mini-game' of timing her movement as she whips her way up buildings. Just put me at the top of the fucking building! I hit the RB button at that location. There's no reason for her to need three extra timed button presses to get herself all the way up there. It's stupid.

#46 Posted by SpencerTucksen (423 posts) -

I love the whip sound. While she doesn't have the convenient gadgets, I NEVER get hit using her. I don't have to worry about being hit because she's SO much faster than everyone else. Batman just feels super fucking slow after using her. Lol

#47 Posted by SpencerTucksen (423 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU:SO agree. Only thing I didn't like about her.

#48 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

@DonChipotle said:

@Andorski said:

@CrazedMaverick said:

@Andorski said:

Her last story mission is all dudes with guns at the end.

Just finished Catwoman's last mission. It seems like the game spawns more thugs if 1) you get seen or 2) one of the thugs finds someone that you took down. The trick is to take out all enemies except the boss without getting caught. I did it by quickly taking out the three guys on the bottom floor first, taking out the two guys circling the second floor, and then taking out the last thug on the middle bridge. After that you can just wail on the boss without interruption.

#49 Posted by BoringK (257 posts) -

I played through that third Catwoman chapter today, and I have to say I still don't like her traversal as much; she seems really awkward and touchy compared to Batman. However, I was messing around with the combat challenges a bit afterwards, and actually found myself doing better in combat with her. It could just be because of her lack of gadgets, something I haven't really gotten good at integrating into combat as Batman.

#50 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

dat ass

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.