Arkham City NOT using GFWL after all? It seems so!

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

According to this tweet by GreenManGaming, Batman: Arkham City is not going to be using Games for Windows Live as its DRM:

We've just received notice from Warner's that Batman is Games for Windows but NOT a Games for Windows 'Live' title!

I've contacted @arkhamcitynews, but, so far, I've been given no clear, "official" answer about this. People around the world rejoice. I shed a single tear and head to Amazon to cancel my pre-order. I wanted GFWL :(

Online
#2 Posted by rmanthorp (3944 posts) -

I WISH THIS GAME WOULD JUST COME OUT! 
Seriously. All the news and back and forth is making me lose so much faith! I just found out today that if you are from the UK and pre-order for TESCOS (WHO DOES THAT)!? You get some exclusive Joker DLC content. Also if you buy the Blu-Ray of Green Lantern you get a DLC costume for Bat Lantern! ARRRGH CAN'T TAKE IT!

Moderator
#3 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

It's using Origin.

#4 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

Does GFWL really matter on single player games? I mean I don't appreciate having to deal with it at all, but as long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer component, I find it entirely irrelevant.

#5 Posted by zaglis (910 posts) -
@SlasherMan said:
Does GFWL really matter on single player games? I mean I don't appreciate having to deal with it at all, but as long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer component, I find it entirely irrelevant.
Hello! Achievements?
#6 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@zaglis said:
@SlasherMan said:
Does GFWL really matter on single player games? I mean I don't appreciate having to deal with it at all, but as long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer component, I find it entirely irrelevant.
Hello! Achievements?
Don't care for 'em personally.
#7 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@zaglis said:

@SlasherMan said:
Does GFWL really matter on single player games? I mean I don't appreciate having to deal with it at all, but as long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer component, I find it entirely irrelevant.
Hello! Achievements?

you know who else has achievements?

STEAM.

#8 Posted by Xolare (1283 posts) -
@Laketown said:

@zaglis said:

@SlasherMan said:
Does GFWL really matter on single player games? I mean I don't appreciate having to deal with it at all, but as long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer component, I find it entirely irrelevant.
Hello! Achievements?

you know who else has achievements?

STEAM.

You know what achievements are worth? NOTHING.
#9 Posted by rmanthorp (3944 posts) -
@Xolare said:
@Laketown said:

@zaglis said:

@SlasherMan said:
Does GFWL really matter on single player games? I mean I don't appreciate having to deal with it at all, but as long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer component, I find it entirely irrelevant.
Hello! Achievements?

you know who else has achievements?

STEAM.

You know what achievements are worth? NOTHING.
Moderator
#10 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -
@Rufi91 said:
@Xolare said:
@Laketown said:

@zaglis said:

@SlasherMan said:
Does GFWL really matter on single player games? I mean I don't appreciate having to deal with it at all, but as long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer component, I find it entirely irrelevant.
Hello! Achievements?

you know who else has achievements?

STEAM.

You know what achievements are worth? NOTHING.
But... but... I like achievements...
#11 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@OldGuy said:

@Rufi91 said:
@Xolare said:
@Laketown said:

@zaglis said:

@SlasherMan said:
Does GFWL really matter on single player games? I mean I don't appreciate having to deal with it at all, but as long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer component, I find it entirely irrelevant.
Hello! Achievements?

you know who else has achievements?

STEAM.

You know what achievements are worth? NOTHING.
But... but... I like achievements...

Then you are worth nothing!

Online
#12 Posted by Xolare (1283 posts) -
@OldGuy said:
@Rufi91 said:
@Xolare said:
@Laketown said:

@zaglis said:

@SlasherMan said:
Does GFWL really matter on single player games? I mean I don't appreciate having to deal with it at all, but as long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer component, I find it entirely irrelevant.
Hello! Achievements?

you know who else has achievements?

STEAM.

You know what achievements are worth? NOTHING.
But... but... I like achievements...
/Backhand. NO. BACK IN YOUR HOLE.
#13 Posted by Cr0ssbow (102 posts) -

Not sure where you got this information but it is W-R-O-N-G. It is, in fact, GFWL.

#14 Edited by spazmaster666 (1967 posts) -

As much as I hate to even get into the subject of achievements, I kinda still value 360/GFWL achievements more than Steam achievements (especially now that Steam achievement tracking is kinda broken here) though hopefully if Warner is going to not use GFWL that it will use Steamworks rather than just forgetting about achievements all together. Whether you care about achievements or not, they are often a good incentive to do things in games that you otherwise may not do/think to do. Also I know a lot of people hate on GFWL but I've never had an issue with it so I won't be one of those people celebrating if this game doesn't use it.

#15 Posted by zaglis (910 posts) -
@Laketown said:

@zaglis said:

@SlasherMan said:
Does GFWL really matter on single player games? I mean I don't appreciate having to deal with it at all, but as long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer component, I find it entirely irrelevant.
Hello! Achievements?

you know who else has achievements?

STEAM.

Steam achievement have no value attached to them. I seriously don't know why developers even bother with them and why Valve patched the achievement feature in but didn't do anything with it...all it is a shitty bulletin point for Steamworks.
#16 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@Cr0ssbow said:

Not sure where you got this information but it is W-R-O-N-G. It is, in fact, GFWL.

Read the first post. Done? Yeah, from there. That same link I provided in the first post and you completely ignored.

@spazmaster666 said:

As much as I hate to even get into the subject of achievements, I kinda still value 360/GFWL achievements more than Steam achievements (especially now that Steam achievement tracking is kinda broken here) though hopefully if Warner is going to not use GFWL that it will use Steamworks rather than just forgetting about achievements all together. Whether you care about achievements or not, they are often a good incentive to do things in games that you otherwise may not do/think to do. Also I know a lot of people hate on GFWL but I've never had an issue with it so I won't be one of those people celebrating if this game doesn't use it.

I feel the same way. I like having all my Achievements in the same place, even if they are worth nothing. I can settle for Steamworks with no problems, but since GFWL never gave me any issues, I prefer it over Steamworks for games I can get on both PC and 360.

Online
#17 Posted by Cr0ssbow (102 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@Cr0ssbow said:

Not sure where you got this information but it is W-R-O-N-G. It is, in fact, GFWL.

Read the first post. Done? Yeah, from there. That same link I provided in the first post and you completely ignored.

Sorry about that, I meant to say I have no idea who this GreenManGaming account was, and at first glance it didn't seem trustworthy. Apparently it's a UK-based digital distribution site? Maybe they're not going with GFWL in Europe? I'm not sure, but I'm 99% positive sure that in the US, at least, it'll be GFWL.

#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@Cr0ssbow said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@Cr0ssbow said:

Not sure where you got this information but it is W-R-O-N-G. It is, in fact, GFWL.

Read the first post. Done? Yeah, from there. That same link I provided in the first post and you completely ignored.

Sorry about that, I meant to say I have no idea who this GreenManGaming account was, and at first glance it didn't seem trustworthy. Apparently it's a UK-based digital distribution site? Maybe they're not going with GFWL in Europe? I'm not sure, but I'm 99% positive sure that in the US, at least, it'll be GFWL.

Green Man Gaming is a very respectable online store. If they claim Warner themselves told them it wasn't going to be a GFWL, I'd find it very odd that only applies to Europe. It'd be the first time, AFAIK. Either they are lying or have given incorrect information, or the game is not a GFWL title after all. Or, even more rare, that their specific version of the game is not tied to a GFWL account, which would somewhat explain the following tweet:

It means no logging in, that's right. I'm not sure how it handles achievements, but there isnt much point of GFW, you're right!

They mention Achievements, though I really don't see how they would work without a Live account tied to them. That they could avoid GFWL and still use Achievements would certainly be weird, though. Either way, it seems it will not be a Steamworks game:

Our version is a Capsule title that will be using Securom, sorry. /Rob

It appears that the game can't be activated on Steam. But then again, they say "our version"... we can't rule out Steamworks or GFWL for copies from other sellers.

I contacted both GMG and @arkhamcitynews, but neither of them has given me an answer. I would really love some clarification on this matter.

Online
#19 Posted by BeachThunder (11927 posts) -

Hm, I might actually consider picking this up if it doesn't use GFWL :o

#20 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

Don't...care for....achievements!? WHAAAA!?

#21 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

OK, wait, hold your horses!

According to Eurogamer, it IS a GFWL game:

Batman: Arkham City is a Games for Windows Live title, publisher Warner Bros. Interactive has confirmed to Eurogamer.
This comes following a Tweet from digital retailer Green Man Gaming, which claimed it had been told by Warner that Rocksteady's game was "Games for Windows but NOT a Games for Windows 'Live' title."
Gamers were first alerted to the situation in June when box art, which showed the Games for Windows Live logo, emerged.

I trust Eurogamer a bit more than GMG, to be honest. Anyways, what a TERRIBLE PR job WB/Rocksteady is doing. Instead of so many stupid DLC/retailer combinations, how about they fucking set things straight regarding the PC version's DRM?

Online
#22 Posted by Goly (843 posts) -
@Rufi91 said:
@Xolare said:
@Laketown said:

@zaglis said:

@SlasherMan said:
Does GFWL really matter on single player games? I mean I don't appreciate having to deal with it at all, but as long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer component, I find it entirely irrelevant.
Hello! Achievements?

you know who else has achievements?

STEAM.

You know what achievements are worth? NOTHING.
Needs to be quoted infinitely 
#23 Edited by rmanthorp (3944 posts) -
Moderator
#24 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

So, two different sites, VG24/7 and Eurogamer, got a direct, official confirmation that it's a GFWL title after all? Awesome trolling, GMG.

Online
#25 Posted by BeachThunder (11927 posts) -

=( Oh well...I wasn't really interested anyway...

#26 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

More websites have contacted Warner and they told them exactly what was to be expected: AC is a GFWL game. Now it's PC Gamer's turn:

A couple of days ago, Green Man Gaming tweeted that while the forthcoming Batman: Arkham City will be a Games for Windows release, it wouldn’t be using the dreaded Games for Windows Live. If only that was true. After we mentioned it last week, Warner Bros got in touch with us with the sad clarification: “Just to confirm, Arkham City is a GFWL title.”
Online
#27 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4496 posts) -

Not getting this for PC then...

#28 Posted by Vextroid (1399 posts) -

I don't see what the big deal is with GFWL on this (or any PC game). Granted I haven't touched the multi-player parts of the 2 GFWL games I own so maybe that's were the problem lies? Or maybe it's because I've used Xbox LIVE for a while so I'm used to the interface/have an account already?

Anyway still going to get this for PC unless sites report that GFWL is breaking the game from installing/playing whatever.

Online
#29 Posted by bybeach (4823 posts) -

All I know was Batman, Arkham Asylum was a damned annoyance to get running. My attitude about achievments is neutral, but having to tether myself to GFWL was a real pain.

#30 Posted by zaglis (910 posts) -
@PrimeSynergy
lol
#31 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

That's it, it's been confirmed by @arkhamcitynews, the official Twitter account for the game:

Batman Arkham City IS games for windows live!

I wonder why GMG claimed it wasn't and what it won by saying that... Not much credibility, that's for sure.

Online
#32 Posted by Solemn (278 posts) -
@xhavoc86 said:
Don't...care for....achievements!? WHAAAA!?
Yes, I don't care for those 100x100 icons. :P
#33 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

good fuck GFWL

#34 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -
@Solemn said:
@xhavoc86 said:
Don't...care for....achievements!? WHAAAA!?
Yes, I don't care for those 100x100 icons. :P
100x100 icons that stands for something...!!!?
#35 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

good fuck GFWL

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but I'm not getting what you mean. "Good, fuck GFWL"? "Good fuck, GFWL!"? Do you like it or not? :P

Online
#36 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

@zaglis said:

Steam achievement have no value attached to them. I seriously don't know why developers even bother with them and why Valve patched the achievement feature in but didn't do anything with it...all it is a shitty bulletin point for Steamworks.

I like Steam Achievements. Every since GB started achievement sync I'm a lot more about getting more rare achievements and percentage completion for a game rather than an overall metascore. I love Achievements on both 360 and Steam but the associated Gamerscore on 360 is meaningless to me now. Once your gamerscore is past 20k, who cares anymore? It's just points and no one achievement or one game makes a significant difference to the score.

#37 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Lame. I want achievements. And I've had literally no issues at all with GFWL.

#38 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Lame. I want achievements. And I've had literally no issues at all with GFWL.

It is a GFWL after all. GMG just spread incorrect information, but it's been confirmed to be a GFWL title.

And yes, I want Live Achievements too :P

Online
#39 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
It's using Origin.
And it'll probably use batman tactics to find out more about you. ):
#40 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

Ugh.... The people who like GFWL are the worst.

#41 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

@scarace360 said:

good fuck GFWL

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but I'm not getting what you mean. "Good, fuck GFWL"? "Good fuck, GFWL!"? Do you like it or not? :P

i dont like it.
#42 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@canucks23 said:
Ugh.... The people who like GFWL are the worst.
Why? What's wrong with it? I've literally had 0 problems with it.
#43 Posted by bobafettjm (1487 posts) -

I have also never had any problems with any games that use GFWL. As a matter of fact I enjoy me some achievements so I wish more games would use it.

#44 Edited by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@CL60 said:

@canucks23 said:

Ugh.... The people who like GFWL are the worst.
Why? What's wrong with it? I've literally had 0 problems with it.
I've had a bunch of problems with it. Some games i've bought that use it, refuse to patch and won't let me sign in, making it so i wont be able to even save my game, basically making it unplayable. Stuff like that never gets fixed either because MS gives 0 fucks about gfwl. Here's a post i saw too that gives some more reasons as to why it's terrible, and why so many people hate it.
 
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25072153&postcount=146
#45 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@canucks23 said:

@CL60 said:

@canucks23 said:

Ugh.... The people who like GFWL are the worst.
Why? What's wrong with it? I've literally had 0 problems with it.
I've had a bunch of problems with it. Some games i've bought that use it, refuse to patch and won't let me sign in, making it so i wont be able to even save my game, basically making it unplayable. Stuff like that never gets fixed either because MS gives 0 fucks about gfwl. Here's a post i saw too that gives some more reasons as to why it's terrible, and why so many people hate it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25072153&postcount=146

Then the problem is the system, that's not working for you, not the people who enjoy the system because it's working for them.

Online
#46 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

@canucks23 said:

@CL60 said:

@canucks23 said:

Ugh.... The people who like GFWL are the worst.
Why? What's wrong with it? I've literally had 0 problems with it.
I've had a bunch of problems with it. Some games i've bought that use it, refuse to patch and won't let me sign in, making it so i wont be able to even save my game, basically making it unplayable. Stuff like that never gets fixed either because MS gives 0 fucks about gfwl. Here's a post i saw too that gives some more reasons as to why it's terrible, and why so many people hate it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25072153&postcount=146

Then the problem is the system, that's not working for you, not the people who enjoy the system because it's working for them.

Well the people who don't like GFWL far outweigh the people who like it. Considering it adds nothing to the game besides gamerscore to the achievements compared to all the other added benefits that other services like steam offer, it just seems stupid to go with GFWL.
#47 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

According to this tweet by GreenManGaming, Batman: Arkham City is not going to be using Games for Windows Live as its DRM:

We've just received notice from Warner's that Batman is Games for Windows but NOT a Games for Windows 'Live' title!

I've contacted @arkhamcitynews, but, so far, I've been given no clear, "official" answer about this. People around the world rejoice. I shed a single tear and head to Amazon to cancel my pre-order. I wanted GFWL :(

No you didn't, you still pre-ordered it!

#48 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@canucks23 said:

Well the people who don't like GFWL far outweigh the people who like it. Considering it adds nothing to the game besides gamerscore to the achievements compared to all the other added benefits that other services like steam offer, it just seems stupid to go with GFWL.

But still, claiming that "people who like GFWL are the worst" is kinda missing the point. Attack the mediocrity of the product, not the people who have no problems with it.

@wickedsc3 said:

@JoeyRavn said:

According to this tweet by GreenManGaming, Batman: Arkham City is not going to be using Games for Windows Live as its DRM:

We've just received notice from Warner's that Batman is Games for Windows but NOT a Games for Windows 'Live' title!

I've contacted @arkhamcitynews, but, so far, I've been given no clear, "official" answer about this. People around the world rejoice. I shed a single tear and head to Amazon to cancel my pre-order. I wanted GFWL :(

No you didn't, you still pre-ordered it!

I switched my pre-order to the 360 version on Amazon, then switched back to PC when GMG's tweet was proven to be a lie :)

Online
#49 Edited by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I might get this for PC then. I had a fucking annoying issue with Asylum where I couldn't launch the game at all because of some bullshit Microsoft .NET issue.

#50 Posted by LiquidPrince (15946 posts) -

PC... meh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.