Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Batman is screwing with my creed of assassins!

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UnrealDP

After playing about 6 hours of Arkham city i decided to try and finish up Assassins Creed Bloodlines since that sequel is right around the corner, but i soon found that the combat that i remembered pretty fondly was an awful atrocity! I played about an hour and got used to the combat again, but that first 40 or so minutes i was hating every second i had to be in combat. Batmans ridiculously intuitive and great feeling combat feels extremely similar to the feel of Assassins creeds and the similarities make it impossible to switch between the two. I have now hit a brick wall with both and to add insult to injury i got back onto Arkham city only to immediately dive bomb into the ground and get beaten unconscious because i couldn't remember the controls.

Has anyone else felt this or am i just crazy?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Undeadpool

Combat is definitely not AC's strong suit (hence why it's basically absent from the multiplayer) but yeah, I had a similar experience with AC2 (might have been Brotherhood) and Arkham Asylum.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By UnrealDP

@Undeadpool:

Yeah, everything from counters to using gadgets in combat just feels awkward compared to the Arkham games.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Chummy8

I love the combat in Assassin's Creed.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Well bloodlines was the psp game right so that's where most of the problems might stem from. I don't have that problem since Batman is a more active combat experience where in Assassin's Creed it is very counter heavy. Brotherhood made it better in that after a counter you can kill everyone else in one hit if you keep a combo going.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mosdl

@UnrealDP: Combat is the one place AC has never really improved, and judging from the gameplay footage for the new one not much has changed in that regard, which is a shame.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By huntad

I like the combo systems in their own unique ways. In Batman, I want to feel like Batman so being able to completely destroy opponents with 50 hit combos is perfect. In Assassin's Creed I want it to be a slower, more challenging sword fight, because if I couldn't kill them without being seen, I probably deserve more of a challenge.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UnrealDP

@SethPhotopoulos: Yeah i guess the part where i'm playing on a PSP probably doesn't help much ether....

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By mosdl

The real issue I have with the AC combat is how only one guy attacks at a time, everyone else stays in the back.

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By lclay

It's been a while since I played it but I remember the combat in AC brotherhood being pretty awesome and fairly similar to Batman. The whole countering and then stringing a load of execution moves together felt super satisfying.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By SSully

@huntad said:

I like the combo systems in their own unique ways. In Batman, I want to feel like Batman so being able to completely destroy opponents with 50 hit combos is perfect. In Assassin's Creed I want it to be a slower, more challenging sword fight, because if I couldn't kill them without being seen, I probably deserve more of a challenge.

That is just it though, the combat isn't challenging in assassians creed. You can literally combat every attack a guy puts at you and just insta kill him. The rare times it does fail you just switch it up by actually being offensive and attacking people.

I love the assassin creed games, but I really wish the combat was a little more challenging.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Hizang

The combat is better in Batman but the traversal is better in Assassins Creed.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hbkdx12

It bugs me that so many people feel that batman's melee system is shallow. 

AC's combat is weak in it's own right without even comparing to something like batman but to me it's forgiveable because

1) it's serviceable and provides some cool death animations and more importantly
    2) it's all about the stabbin

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hero_swe

Again with the constant "Intuitive" and "Great" combat of Batman. I still never understood how simply pushing a button and direction is either intuitive or fun or great. Much prefer the AC combat over Batman's.
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By UnrealDP

@Hizang:

Yeah, i guess Batman does have some of those shimmying sideways segments that always felt like some light version of AC, so it goes full circle i guess..

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss

Sounds like a personal problem unreal double penetration.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Dreamfall31

I still havent played Brotherhood other than the opening hour or so, and I am fearing going back to it after so much Arhkam City play! It always happens with games that play similarly, but control completley different!

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By RobertOrri

@mosdl said:

The real issue I have with the AC combat is how only one guy attacks at a time, everyone else stays in the back.

Yeah, they all just stand around in a circle and watch as you murder their buddies, one by one.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MudMan

Well, AC is always best if you run instead of fight. That's how they've always marketed and that's why a lot of people disliked the first.

I agree that Batman's combat is amazing, though, although I prefer the slower, more methodical take on it from Arkham Asylum than the hectic "Dynasty Warriors done right" version of Arkham City. Still good, though.

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lclay

The combat in AA and AC is essentially identical. What are you talking about?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By SlightConfuse

Batman is more dynamic, jumping from enemy to enemy. Creed is more counter based, always looking for a counter

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.