Best Boss Battle (Spoilers)

• 60 results
#1 Posted by JauntyHat (323 posts) -

I'm currently playing through Arkham City and good God! I just got finished with the Ra's Al-Ghul Boss Fight on Hard difficulty earlier in the night. To put it simply; it's one of the best boss fights I have played in ANY video game. The second time you go back into the desert and you're jumped by the twenty clones feels like the finale of Red Dead Redemption where you can actually survive. I know the part where he comes at you with a sword and you're expected to mash the counter button like crazy is a bit contrite but man was it fun!

What other boss battles in the game did you guys like?

#2 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

I'd say I liked all, though my fave is Grundy, just cuz it's Grundy.

#3 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5135 posts) -

Ra's Al-Ghul was a greast boss battle the others are kind of meh, Two Face is terrible.

#4 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I still think Mr. Freeze is the best boss battle by far. It really forces you to use your whole arsenal which no other encounter in the game ever really imposes on you.

#5 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

clay face was great

#6 Posted by Stitches (53 posts) -

Ra's al ghul was my favorite battle.

#7 Posted by Chop (1992 posts) -

Mr.Freeze

By far the best part of the game.

#8 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Ra's Al-Ghul was a greast boss battle the others are kind of meh, Two Face is terrible.

The whole catwoman part of the game feels like cheap DLC to be honest, so no wonder it was bad.

#9 Posted by Titl (539 posts) -

Mr. Freeze was the best one, just because it forced you to do different things every time.

#10 Posted by rmanthorp (3855 posts) -

@Chop said:

Mr.Freeze

By far the best part of the game.

#11 Posted by Icemael (6308 posts) -

Mr. Freeze, if only because it actually provided some challenge.

#12 Posted by LiquidSaiyan3 (458 posts) -

I agree. I really enjoyed the Ra's fight, and even though I was initially frustrated with it, the battle with Mr. Freeze was great.

If there was one area that needed improvement in Arkham Asylum it was the boss battles, and Rocksteady totally delivered.

#13 Posted by 49th (2670 posts) -

Mr. Freeze, I felt so pro figuring out what to do almost immediately each time, like I was really Batman. The others were cool but I don't think I died on any of the boss fights at all on normal.

#14 Posted by Linkster7 (1009 posts) -

Mr. Freeze by far.

#15 Posted by GunstarRed (4998 posts) -

I liked the way the Ra's Al Ghul fight looked but all of the boss fights were pretty weak. The last boss boils down to spamming one button and rolling out of the way every 20 seconds.

#16 Posted by Flaboere (344 posts) -

I had a lot more trouble with thug fights than bossfights, I'm not sure I had to do a single boss-fight over... oh yeah, the joker one I had to, but that was because of the thugs, and the last fight with Two-Face I had to try a few times, until I found out that enemies respawn. That was a really bad boss fight by the way :-S completely not in tune with how the game worked the rest of the time.

#17 Posted by Andorski (5179 posts) -

Mr. Freeze was my favorite. It exemplified the best part of the game, which is the fact that Batman has a multitude of way to take your ass down.

Clayface might be my second favorite, solely because Batman becomes Zorro and fights with a sword.

#18 Posted by JDW519 (148 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

I still think Mr. Freeze is the best boss battle by far. It really forces you to use your whole arsenal which no other encounter in the game ever really imposes on you.

Yeah, it made me feel like I was actually having to think like Batman, lol

#19 Posted by DarkChris (17 posts) -

The most impressive boss was Ra's Al Ghul.

The most difficult boss was Mr. Freeze.

#20 Posted by CJduke (782 posts) -

Its a tie for me between Mr. Freeze and Clayface. Mr. freeze required stealth and a variety of tactics and clayface was just an epic fight especially when you start cutting clay zombies with a sword.

#21 Posted by morrelloman (605 posts) -

Ra's was the best set piece, but freeze was the most interesting fight. I give the overall nod to Ra's dew.

#22 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

Clayface was my favorite, but the boss battles were ok, better than Asylum's...but that's not saying much

#23 Posted by zFUBARz (621 posts) -

Freeze was cool, but Grundy was the best, it was impressive and the very end where you rush penguin felt incredible it was as slick as a QTE bu you had complete control of the situation, counter, dodge, gadget it's up to you and it all works super smoothly. THAT made me feel like batman

#24 Edited by handlas (2643 posts) -

I would also say Mr.Freeze because it took forever to decipher his suit weakness things so I was kind of figuring out the ways to beat him myself. So it was more a battle of brains than brawn...and I liked that. Took me a bit to figure out the last couple of ways I had to hurt him. The other boss battles were pretty straight forward to figure out...Grundy, Clayface.

#25 Posted by KoolAid (823 posts) -

The problem with a lot of the boss fights in Arkham Asylum was that you didn't actually fight the bosses for the most part. For example, you don't go head to head with Joker, you just avoid him and then trip him when he decides its a good idea to turn around. It didn't feel like a struggle.

I think the Ra's Al-Ghul fight is where this is most improved. You are actually fighting something, even though its a crazy sand monster. I absolutely love when you are fighting the sandpeople and in the middle of a counter or strike it just flashes back to reality for a second. Super cool effect and super cool fight.

#26 Posted by fetchfox (1217 posts) -

As many of you have said, Ra's al Ghul was real fun, but none of bosses were really hard (not on normal at least). But I'm playing through new game+ now, and I found Freeze to be a much tougher opponent.

#27 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (305 posts) -

The Mr Freeze fight was pretty entertaining.

Also Two-Face is my favorite Batman villain so I really loved getting to see him this time around, even if his fight was pretty pathetic overall.

#28 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

@Titl said:

Mr. Freeze was the best one, just because it forced you to do different things every time.

this, and then Ra's.

#29 Posted by imjustbettr@yahoo.com (23 posts) -

The coolest fight in cinematic terms to me was the clayface fight bc of the lighting the theater and everything together. 

But the best boss fight in terms of game play has to be Freeze

#30 Posted by spankingaddict (2655 posts) -

Mr. Freeze was my favorite . Though it did feel like a pointless fight.

#31 Posted by Tacoboy1986 (143 posts) -

The Ra's fight was great. I also enjoyed the Mr. Freeze battle. I just wish they didn't give the cheat sheet.

#32 Posted by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

New Game+ fight with Joker and the trains where there's an Abramovich with a hammer and a titan. Took me 4 or 5 goes but was enjoyable. No way I could have don0e it if I hadn't been training on the combat rooms. It's easy to cheese with the bat swarm and using Abramovich to get enough hits for weapon destroys.

And thanks for the Red Dead spoiler. No, really.

#33 Posted by BBQBram (2199 posts) -

I really liked the boss battles. Solomon Grundy's was pretty straightforward but it had a nice twist, Ra's was amazing combining the melee with a more classic pattern recognition thing, Joker was just a straight-up superbrawl and Clayface - not the hardest boss in there but definitely the right way to end the game on an explosive note.

Freeze was my favourite though, he reminded me of the better bosses in Metal Gear Solid. He's even better on New Game+, where you have to use all possible tactics to beat him. And I'd agree Two-Face wasn't a big set-piece, but I really liked the idea of another stealth boss battle, featuring Catwoman. It's one of only two stealth segments in her share of the campaign, so I appreciated it like a cherry on top of the sundae. Two-Face isn't that powerful anyway, he's the most like a regular mob boss out of all the villains in the game, so sneaking past his goons to get him from behind felt appropriate for the character.

#34 Posted by Village_Guy (2484 posts) -

Mr. Freeze, it was the best of the game and really the only different part of the game.

#35 Posted by Master_Funk (728 posts) -

Yeah Ras al Ghul's bossfight was awesome, but unfortunately my disappointment in the lack of the original Animated series voice actor David Warner voicing him has tainted that section a bit for me. Thats not my Ras al Ghul Goddamnit !

#36 Posted by JauntyHat (323 posts) -

The finale to The Penguin's Boss Battle is another one of my favs. After wrecking shit against Grundy you get this little fat man shooting rockets at you. So what do you do? You dodge a few, walk up to him, and pummel him like crazy for giving you so much trouble for the first third of the game.

#37 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

thinking about it now, the boss fights in this game were pretty meh in general...they were all pretty underwhelming...

Mr. Freeze was probably the most interesting as you had to find different ways to attack him...

#38 Posted by Mr_Faraday (241 posts) -

My farvorite was probably Ras Al Ghuls battle and id say the weakest was Mr. Freeze's, it was just too simple and straightforward.

#39 Edited by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Freeze was cool because you had to keep thinking of new ways to catch him off guard, smartly avoiding the annoyingly repetitive nature of the bosses that plagued Asylum. Other than that, meh... The part were you have to mash counter on all those dudes was neat once, but that's a pretty throwaway gimmick. I liked when you were slicing shit up with a fucking sword, but that was all just novelty. The fight itself was kind of tame.

#40 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Mr. Frezze, and Grundy were my favorites.

#41 Posted by Milkman (16486 posts) -

Mr. Freeze was far and away the best.

#42 Posted by Legxend (124 posts) -

Freeze was the only good boss battle, the rest were too easy or it came down to use said gadgets so many times and win. The boss battles are the weakest part of the game, who ever designed the Freeze fight should handle boss fights from now on.

#43 Posted by FoxMulder (1612 posts) -

Freeze was my favorite. Sneaking around and having to figure out ways to damage him was fun. It's much harder on New Game+ and even more fun!

#44 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -
@ahaisthisourchance

@Mr_Skeleton said:

The whole catwoman part of the game feels like cheap DLC to be honest, so no wonder it was bad.

I'm just curious what makes it feel cheap? Is it the lack of gadgets that catwoman shouldn't have? The climbing? Or what does cheap mean? Like it wasn't polished or there wasn't enough to it?
#45 Posted by Deadmanforking (567 posts) -

Both Ra's and Freeze's fights were pretty awesome. Id say the best was Freeze's fight.

#46 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5135 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

@ahaisthisourchance

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I'm just curious what makes it feel cheap? Is it the lack of gadgets that catwoman shouldn't have? The climbing? Or what does cheap mean? Like it wasn't polished or there wasn't enough to it?

It wasn't bad but the Catwoman traversal and story just weren't as good as the Batman stuff.

#47 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Mr. Freeze, obviously.

#48 Posted by Creamypies (4044 posts) -

Mr. Freeze gets my vote. It forced me to do certain things that I hadn't done up to that point.

#49 Posted by FoxMulder (1612 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@laserbolts said:

@ahaisthisourchance

@Mr_Skeleton said:

It wasn't bad but the Catwoman traversal and story just weren't as good as the Batman stuff.

I agree. It was super cheap that guys respawned in the Two-Face/Catwoman end part. I also felt that without the "K/O all stunned guys on floor" move Batman had, that the room full of guys before Two-Face with Catwoman was way harder than it should been. It also kind of bothered me that the places Catwoman sneaked just happened to have fencing on the ceiling....no idea how those Tyger guards didn't hear her crawling up above them!

#50 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -
@FoxMulder

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@laserbolts said:

@ahaisthisourchance

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I agree. It was super cheap that guys respawned in the Two-Face/Catwoman end part. I also felt that without the "K/O all stunned guys on floor" move Batman had, that the room full of guys before Two-Face with Catwoman was way harder than it should been. It also kind of bothered me that the places Catwoman sneaked just happened to have fencing on the ceiling....no idea how those Tyger guards didn't hear her crawling up above them!

There are gargoyles or some sort of perch in about 90% of the batman indoors parts. The two face fight is retarded easy if you take out the guys without alerting anyone. So based on your logic if you find something hard then it must be cheap or poorly designed. It is not the games fault that you suck. Stay away from dark souls then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.