Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Did Batman:Arkham Asylum Make You Interested In Batman?

vietthreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Edited By vietthreat

With the new Batman: Arkham City trailer showing the new improvements that Rocksteady has made to their Batman game, it reminded me of how Rocksteady made Batman relevant in the gaming world. When the first news of Batman: Arkham Asylum popped up i was a little skeptical about it but once i got my hands on it i was blown away and happy with the results of Rocksteady. After playing the game i immediately began to read more about the Batman universe so i started to read the graphic novels.  

The first one i decided to read was Joker written by Brian Azzarello and drawn by Lee Bermejo. I chose the book because at the time, Joker was a brand new graphic novel that received a lot critical praise. From there i began to read more Batman graphic novels such as Arkham Asylum, The Killing Joke,  and my personal favourite Hush.  

So did Batman: Arkham Asylum get you interested into the Batman universe? were you already interested in it when the game came out? What other Batman graphic novels would you recommend as a must read if people are interested in Batman?    

vietthreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vietthreat

With the new Batman: Arkham City trailer showing the new improvements that Rocksteady has made to their Batman game, it reminded me of how Rocksteady made Batman relevant in the gaming world. When the first news of Batman: Arkham Asylum popped up i was a little skeptical about it but once i got my hands on it i was blown away and happy with the results of Rocksteady. After playing the game i immediately began to read more about the Batman universe so i started to read the graphic novels.  

The first one i decided to read was Joker written by Brian Azzarello and drawn by Lee Bermejo. I chose the book because at the time, Joker was a brand new graphic novel that received a lot critical praise. From there i began to read more Batman graphic novels such as Arkham Asylum, The Killing Joke,  and my personal favourite Hush.  

So did Batman: Arkham Asylum get you interested into the Batman universe? were you already interested in it when the game came out? What other Batman graphic novels would you recommend as a must read if people are interested in Batman?    

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By markini6

I would definitely recommend Batman: Hush, that was my first one and it's a fantastic read, notably because it introduces the reader to almost all of the main characters/villains. Then if you like that, Grant Morrison's past few years of work on Batman is brilliant. Start with Batman and Son and go on from there.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By EVO

Nah. 

The Giant Bomb community seems to have a collective hard on for Batman, but Arkham Asylum, while a solid game, didn't blow me away.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

Well I've always liked Batman, he's always been my favorite superhero but Batman Begins made me really interested in Batman

Arkham Asylum was a great game though, second place after UC2 in 2009 as my goty

vietthreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vietthreat
    @Venatio: I would have to agree with you there, forgot the UC2 came out the same year.
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Solh0und

I always thought Batman was badass. AA just made him more badass.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By project343

Son, Batman made me interested in Batman. 

Was a Batman child. All my favourite kid's toys were Batman. I watched the TV show religiously. Then the recent Christopher Nolan movies blew me away. Then Arkham Asylum happened. Son: Batman owns everything--always has, always will.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dany

No, I am always kidna into comic tv shows and batman had a few when i was growing up and Batman Begins nad Dark Knight were enough to show me that AA is a game to get

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Batman got me into Arkham Asylum cause I wanted to be Batman.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By sameeeeam

I wanted to be Batman when I was a kid. Some dreams never com true.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Eidderf

No, the interest I had already had in Batman is probably one of the biggest reasons I liked it as much as I did, not that it would have been average otherwise, it just made me appreciate the nods to other things in the Batman universe that they put in there. I'm not the type of person who would normally do stuff like solve all of the riddler puzzles but because they were often linked to cool hidden areas and items that gave some info on other batman related things I didn't mind doing them, like the disappearing ras al ghul corpse for example is something you'll only understand if you know a bit about the character.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Slaker117

I think the Chris Nolan movies were probably the biggest factor in sparking a larger public interest of Batman, though AA certainly didn't hurt.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Jack Nicholson made me interested in Batman.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Gabriel

The Fuck? 

I was ALWAYS interested in Batman. 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By animateria

Nope. 

I already loved Batman: The Animated Series quite a bit. And the two Tim Burton Batman movies, and the newest Joker movie (first one wasn't as great though). 

Not much of a comic book guy though.

vietthreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vietthreat
    @Eidderf: Ra's Al Ghul was my fav part too because it was pretty easy to miss but if you saw it it was a great hidden secret 
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By donchipotle

I always thought Batman was dumb. Arkahm Asylum just made me think it was slightly less dumb.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By phantomzxro

Was already into batman and have always been a fan. This game just proved you can make a great superhero game that's not tied to a movie.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust

Nah, I started reading Batman as soon as I could read.  I've seen every episode of the 60's show and the Superfriends.  I used to collect every Batman title DC published and the associated "Bat family" books.  I watched Batman the animated series, Batman Beyond, Justice League and now Young Justice plus the direct to DVD movies and the anime Gotham Knight.   I paid money to see each and every Batman movie since 1989.  I've been a Batman fan all my life.  Arkham Asylum is the first Batman video game that I really liked, though. 

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SlightConfuse

im a big batman fan, still reading most of the bat comics today. Grant morrison is doing som fun stuff withthe character. AA was a comig out party for the franchsie
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By craigbo180

I already liked Batman a whole lot. Under the red hood is something I would recommend as long as you have a basic knowledge of Batman's history.

SHADOWINFINITE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SHADOWINFINITE

I was always interested in Batman. He is just one of the most coolest characters in gamming. Along with a few others.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Agent47
    @SHADOWINFINITE: Yeah he is one of the most interesting and unique heroes and I think the GB community has a thing for him too which they should considering how awesome he is.
    PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PieGuy

I only got into Batman after seeing The Dark Knight. I bought Arkham Asylum way after it was released as I wasn't convinced it would be good. Friends who's opinions I trust recommended it and I went out and got it.

I was blown away, probably because I wasn't expecting much from a superhero game. Very well done and now I'll be getting Arkham City on release. Apparantly this will be Mark Hamill's last game as the joker which is slightly disappointing but no doubt it will go out with a bang.

Legxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Legxend

If you like Hush read Heart of Hush, some amazing stuff right there. I was always interested in Batman Arkham Asylum just added to it.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BBQBram

I was into The Dark Knight Returns and the Nolan movies previous to playing the game. The game however solidified my Batman appreciation! Whilst not a comic reader at all, I will seek out some more of those standalone graphic novels.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already liked Batman, AA just made him even more cool.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Not really. The Dark Knight did.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Animated Series here

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.