How did YOU play Arkham City? (possible spoilers)

#1 Posted by TheGanjaKing (61 posts) -

Personally, I found myself only focusing on the main storyline and then after beating the game, going back and collecting everything and doing all the side-quests. I sort of feel like this is the way that Rocksteady was pushing for the game to be played. When playing Arkham Asylum, moving around and collecting little do-dads in between main story beats gave me the sensation of a really disjointed experience, and I feel like this was amplified even more in Arkham City (partly on account of the increased map size and because of the increased complexity of the side parts).

I'm not trying to say that this IS HOW the game should be played, but more so how I enjoyed it the most, which is why I made this topic. How did you find yourself moving through the game?

#2 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1052 posts) -
@SeeSaw: I played the game flying around, beating up dudes, getting riddler trophies and side quest any way I could. When I realized I couldn't progress any further with the gadgets I had that is when I tackled the main quest. I just really wanted to level up my Batman as much as I could and wanted to see everything I possibly could before the end.
#3 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

I actually did the side quests first, as they came up. I picked up Riddler Trophies as I came across them if I could. I think you're right, though, it did make the experience feel pretty jerky and disjointed.

#4 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

Not at all, does that count?

#5 Posted by DeanoXD (608 posts) -

main story first with some side stuff, then back into to clean up the side missions and collectables.

#6 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Mostly did the main story with occasional side missions. I got wrapped up in the story that I just wanted to see it all right away. I'll clean up the rest of the missions now that I'm done.

#7 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7069 posts) -

@DeanoXD said:

main story first with some side stuff, then back into to clean up the side missions and collectables.

This. That damn Serial Killer mission was great and made me kind of regret waiting to do the side missions.

#8 Posted by DeanoXD (608 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre: i really liked coming out of the main story and i still had those side missions to do, and i really like all of them.

#9 Posted by TheGanjaKing (61 posts) -

@Afroman269 said:

Mostly did the main story with occasional side missions. I got wrapped up in the story that I just wanted to see it all right away. I'll clean up the rest of the missions now that I'm done.

For sure. I had JUST finished Arkham Asylum and was in the whole "do everything when you see it" mode, and it just didn't feel right to play Arkham City in that way. Around the first time I got to Ra's I was just like "alright, let's just see where this story goes."

#10 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

I did whatever just popped up my way...if there was a riddler trophy on the way i would try for it...if i heard a distress from a "political prisoner" i would help....etc etc

#11 Posted by briangodsoe (487 posts) -

I don't know about the other side quests, but I felt the Mad Hatter one was really well timed and complementary to what was going on in the main quest. Hell, it even fooled me a little at first.

#12 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -

@DeanoXD said:

main story first with some side stuff, then back into to clean up the side missions and collectables.

#13 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Like I played Arkham Asylum...

#14 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I focused on the main story

#15 Posted by fetchfox (1251 posts) -

@briangodsoe said:

I don't know about the other side quests, but I felt the Mad Hatter one was really well timed and complementary to what was going on in the main quest. Hell, it even fooled me a little at first.

I was really tired when that happened and fell for it completely...

#16 Posted by briangodsoe (487 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

@briangodsoe said:

I don't know about the other side quests, but I felt the Mad Hatter one was really well timed and complementary to what was going on in the main quest. Hell, it even fooled me a little at first.

I was really tired when that happened and fell for it completely...

With videogame logic, that could very well have been the cure. I thought it was going to be like a RE4 situation where they happened to find a magic laser chair cure. The fact that the side mission got me to literally roll my eyes and then shout holy shit afterwards makes it the best of the side missions. Even though it was really just a challenge map.

#17 Posted by thellama042 (108 posts) -

@briangodsoe: I have to agree with this completely. I fell for it right away, but when I got to the 'cure', I thought "hey wait, how did they make the cure without me sending them a sample of the cure?" then bam. Mad Hatter. One of the best side missions in any game, simply because it was so well timed and fit with the story 100%.

#18 Posted by GunstarRed (5098 posts) -

I spent my first two, very long play sessions collecting, doing side missions and fighting waves of random thugs over and over again. There was a point where I ran out of stuff I could do so I started the story missions and then for the most of my playtime I just burnt through the rest of the story with an occasional distraction here and there. After hearing Jeff in the QL talk about how he had an under levelled Catwoman I spent a lot of time grinding out her two armour types. It turns out I didn't need to do that at all as she only really has one almost hard combat sequence in the vault. The Twoface section at the end is pretty much to opposite of fun without the upgrades. (possibly with them also)

#19 Posted by SMTDante89 (2558 posts) -

I haven't yet. Really want to but money's tight right now, so I'm holding off for a while.

#20 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

Primarily focused on the main story, doing a few side missions here and there, doing the Riddler stuff last and not doing the challenge rooms because I'm not good enough at the combat.

#21 Edited by fetchfox (1251 posts) -

@briangodsoe said:

@fetchfox said:

@briangodsoe said:

I don't know about the other side quests, but I felt the Mad Hatter one was really well timed and complementary to what was going on in the main quest. Hell, it even fooled me a little at first.

I was really tired when that happened and fell for it completely...

With videogame logic, that could very well have been the cure. I thought it was going to be like a RE4 situation where they happened to find a magic laser chair cure. The fact that the side mission got me to literally roll my eyes and then shout holy shit afterwards makes it the best of the side missions. Even though it was really just a challenge map.

Luckily, they didn't resort to such laziness. Be sure to check out the Mad Hatter character page, it contains some real disturbing audio clips with Hugo Strange.

#22 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (642 posts) -

Main story first and picking up any trophies that was easy to get. Then when that was done I went Trophy hunting.

#23 Posted by Crash_Happy (661 posts) -

@SeeSaw: I like doing side stuff to break up the game and earn XP for unlocks. Truth be told I would have done more side stuff if I'd realised how far along the game I was, but I finished and that was fine. Trolling around the city looking for stuff to do isn't as much fun on it's own but I'm occasionaly firing it up to do this.

#24 Posted by CJduke (786 posts) -

I tried to do as much side stuff as I could before beating the main story just because I didn't want the game to end lol

#25 Posted by super_psycho (18 posts) -

@xhavoc86 said:

I did whatever just popped up my way...if there was a riddler trophy on the way i would try for it...if i heard a distress from a "political prisoner" i would help....etc etc

this

#26 Posted by Eversoranimus (122 posts) -

@Afroman269 said:

Mostly did the main story with occasional side missions. I got wrapped up in the story that I just wanted to see it all right away. I'll clean up the rest of the missions now that I'm done.

Yeah that's what happened to me. Now for new game plus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.