Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

How did YOU play Arkham City? (possible spoilers)

TheGanjaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheGanjaKing

Personally, I found myself only focusing on the main storyline and then after beating the game, going back and collecting everything and doing all the side-quests. I sort of feel like this is the way that Rocksteady was pushing for the game to be played. When playing Arkham Asylum, moving around and collecting little do-dads in between main story beats gave me the sensation of a really disjointed experience, and I feel like this was amplified even more in Arkham City (partly on account of the increased map size and because of the increased complexity of the side parts).

I'm not trying to say that this IS HOW the game should be played, but more so how I enjoyed it the most, which is why I made this topic. How did you find yourself moving through the game?

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @SeeSaw: I played the game flying around, beating up dudes, getting riddler trophies and side quest any way I could. When I realized I couldn't progress any further with the gadgets I had that is when I tackled the main quest. I just really wanted to level up my Batman as much as I could and wanted to see everything I possibly could before the end.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

I actually did the side quests first, as they came up. I picked up Riddler Trophies as I came across them if I could. I think you're right, though, it did make the experience feel pretty jerky and disjointed.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By swoxx

Not at all, does that count?

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By deanoxd

main story first with some side stuff, then back into to clean up the side missions and collectables.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Afroman269

Mostly did the main story with occasional side missions. I got wrapped up in the story that I just wanted to see it all right away. I'll clean up the rest of the missions now that I'm done.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@DeanoXD said:

main story first with some side stuff, then back into to clean up the side missions and collectables.

This. That damn Serial Killer mission was great and made me kind of regret waiting to do the side missions.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deanoxd

@MariachiMacabre: i really liked coming out of the main story and i still had those side missions to do, and i really like all of them.

TheGanjaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGanjaKing

@Afroman269 said:

Mostly did the main story with occasional side missions. I got wrapped up in the story that I just wanted to see it all right away. I'll clean up the rest of the missions now that I'm done.

For sure. I had JUST finished Arkham Asylum and was in the whole "do everything when you see it" mode, and it just didn't feel right to play Arkham City in that way. Around the first time I got to Ra's I was just like "alright, let's just see where this story goes."

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Bestostero

I did whatever just popped up my way...if there was a riddler trophy on the way i would try for it...if i heard a distress from a "political prisoner" i would help....etc etc

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By briangodsoe

I don't know about the other side quests, but I felt the Mad Hatter one was really well timed and complementary to what was going on in the main quest. Hell, it even fooled me a little at first.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Sooperspy

@DeanoXD said:

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Yanngc33

Like I played Arkham Asylum...

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Commisar123

I focused on the main story

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fetchfox

@briangodsoe said:

I don't know about the other side quests, but I felt the Mad Hatter one was really well timed and complementary to what was going on in the main quest. Hell, it even fooled me a little at first.

I was really tired when that happened and fell for it completely...

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By briangodsoe

@fetchfox said:

@briangodsoe said:

With videogame logic, that could very well have been the cure. I thought it was going to be like a RE4 situation where they happened to find a magic laser chair cure. The fact that the side mission got me to literally roll my eyes and then shout holy shit afterwards makes it the best of the side missions. Even though it was really just a challenge map.

thellama042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thellama042

@briangodsoe: I have to agree with this completely. I fell for it right away, but when I got to the 'cure', I thought "hey wait, how did they make the cure without me sending them a sample of the cure?" then bam. Mad Hatter. One of the best side missions in any game, simply because it was so well timed and fit with the story 100%.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By GunstarRed

I spent my first two, very long play sessions collecting, doing side missions and fighting waves of random thugs over and over again. There was a point where I ran out of stuff I could do so I started the story missions and then for the most of my playtime I just burnt through the rest of the story with an occasional distraction here and there. After hearing Jeff in the QL talk about how he had an under levelled Catwoman I spent a lot of time grinding out her two armour types. It turns out I didn't need to do that at all as she only really has one almost hard combat sequence in the vault. The Twoface section at the end is pretty much to opposite of fun without the upgrades. (possibly with them also)

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By SMTDante89

I haven't yet. Really want to but money's tight right now, so I'm holding off for a while.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By rockinkemosabe

Primarily focused on the main story, doing a few side missions here and there, doing the Riddler stuff last and not doing the challenge rooms because I'm not good enough at the combat.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fetchfox

@briangodsoe said:

@fetchfox said:

@briangodsoe said:

With videogame logic, that could very well have been the cure. I thought it was going to be like a RE4 situation where they happened to find a magic laser chair cure. The fact that the side mission got me to literally roll my eyes and then shout holy shit afterwards makes it the best of the side missions. Even though it was really just a challenge map.

Luckily, they didn't resort to such laziness. Be sure to check out the Mad Hatter character page, it contains some real disturbing audio clips with Hugo Strange.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Stealthmaster86

Main story first and picking up any trophies that was easy to get. Then when that was done I went Trophy hunting.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Crash_Happy

@SeeSaw: I like doing side stuff to break up the game and earn XP for unlocks. Truth be told I would have done more side stuff if I'd realised how far along the game I was, but I finished and that was fine. Trolling around the city looking for stuff to do isn't as much fun on it's own but I'm occasionaly firing it up to do this.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By CJduke

I tried to do as much side stuff as I could before beating the main story just because I didn't want the game to end lol

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By super_psycho

@xhavoc86 said:

I did whatever just popped up my way...if there was a riddler trophy on the way i would try for it...if i heard a distress from a "political prisoner" i would help....etc etc

this

Eversoranimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Eversoranimus

@Afroman269 said:

Yeah that's what happened to me. Now for new game plus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.