PC version verdict?

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

There was some talk about how it wasn't any good at launch but I was wondering now if you guys think it is as good as the Arkham Asylum port? I assume there have been patches to fix many of the issues so I'm interested to see the verdict of the PC version.

What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Doctorchimp (4071 posts) -

I turned off DX11 and it was amazing.

#3 Posted by ZagZagovich (755 posts) -

DX 11 is still broken if you are on a 32-bit OS but otherwise it works fine, beat it a couple of weeks back. No real problems.

#4 Edited by Lazyaza (2169 posts) -

I've played through it several times on PC and it's just fine. I did however play with my 360 gamepad and from what I understand the pc kb/m controls can sometimes be a little iffy but then so were asylums until you get use to them. In terms of performance as far as I know they fixed DX11 completely for people running 64bit Windows 7 (such as myself) and it runs perfect for me with only minor stuttering during loading. If you have the pc to run it on high it definitely is the best version.

#5 Posted by Nan0nine (2 posts) -

DX 11 looked amazing and worked fine and dandy after the patch. Steam has it on sale today btw!

#6 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

DX11 on, PhysX on Normal, everything else on Highest, 30-50 FPS.  

Not as smooth as Arkham Asylum, but the fact that I beat the game in 5 days speaks volumes about its quality both as software and as a game.

#7 Edited by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

DX11 was broken on launch but has since been fixed (though it's unfortunate that I had already finished most of the game by the time the patch came out). It still doesn't run quite as well as I would like it to, especially with PhysX enabled (even with SLI GTX 570s, I had to turn the resolution down to 1920x1080 for it to be smooth all the time with PhysX enabled, though with the advantage of being able to then play it on my TV) But even if you have to run the DX9 version, it still looks much better and runs much smoother than the console versions, even on mid-range systems (just turn off PhysX if you have an nvidia card.)

However, it should be noted that most of the frame rate issues are during the open world parts which, to be fair, are much grander in scope and much denser than any of the outdoor environments in Asylum.

#8 Posted by mortal_sb (520 posts) -

i played arkham asylum on my xbox and it was amazing. played arkham city on my pc and didn't play more then two hours before i quit. i kinda hated it. i have a pretty good pc setup, but the game kept stuttering even with the settings turned down to mid (i can play skyrim in "ultra high" with max AA and AF). i found the city and the character writing to be shit as hell also.

#9 Posted by AngeTheDude (651 posts) -

I loved the PC version a lot more than the console version. The game looks amazing and if you have a controller, you're all set.

#10 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

i would have preferred a controller but the 60 fps and th dx 11 made it sssoooooo much better than the console verion

#11 Posted by AlisterCat (5489 posts) -

A great port. DX11 isn't great but as a DX9 game it looks amazing and plays smoothly. Easily the best version.

#12 Posted by ThePantheon (708 posts) -

For all you old schoolers, it looks amazing in DX9. Beautiful, crisp, fast and I LOVE the precision of the mouse to turn sensitively to exact the guy I want to beat down in a challenge.

#13 Posted by Rowr (5487 posts) -

@ripsaw117 said:

i would have preferred a controller but the 60 fps and th dx 11 made it sssoooooo much better than the console verion

I play it on the pc with this. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1ASUT_en-GBAU453AU453&q=batarang+controller+xbox&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12927692776461605123&sa=X&ei=tzIZT8LpPOyaiQfyx7XsCw&ved=0CCcQ8gIwAQ

As with most games on the PC I enjoy the ability to play it in resolutions over 720p, the phys x effects are cool, though it's not the biggest deal.

#14 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

on my i7/GTX570 its like butter. only just picked it up so missed the hoohaa at launch so no probs here

#15 Edited by BonOrbitz (2175 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

A great port. DX11 isn't great but as a DX9 game it looks amazing and plays smoothly. Easily the best version.

The second patch has been released over Steam, GFWL, and Origin. Stuttering cutscenes and poor DX11 performance is FINALLY addressed, allegedly. It only took us close to four months!

I finished it in DX9 and it was indeed amazing.

#16 Edited by Jedted (2329 posts) -

I just bought it on Steam to see how it looks with my new card and the gameplay chugs a bit with DX11(dunno what's up with that supposed patch).

I'm running 64bit Win7 and have a Geforce GT545 video card so i know it's not my system. Game still looks great though!

#17 Posted by TheSheepherder (73 posts) -

It ran on 50-60fps everything maxed (No AA though : /) on an ATI 4600 so other than some annoying glitches I encountered it was a pretty solid PC game.

#18 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

I played on PC primarily with KB+M and then tried with a controller.

Flying was way easier because the camera controls are much better, and I think that busting out some of the moves and gadgets may be easier because of hot keys.

If you use a controller with your PC (shame on you) and your comfortable with that then I can easily recommend the PC version over the 360 version

#19 Edited by Mikemcn (6959 posts) -

God damn spacebar-mashing button prompts are the worst on PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.