WB locks out SP content(Catwoman) to used buys and offline users.

• 118 results
#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -

UPDATE: Warner Bros. has confirmed to Eurogamer that the Batman: Arkham City VIP pass unlocks playable Catwoman content.

On Xbox 360 the Batman VIP pass costs 800 Microsoft Points. On PlayStation 3 it costs £7.99.

Warner issued Eurogamer the following statement: "Further to your story, players who purchase previously owned copies of Batman: Arkham City can access the playable Catwoman content for £7.99/ 800 Microsoft Points.

"Playing as Catwoman is not required to complete the game."

ORIGINAL STORY: The Batman: Arkham City online pass unlocks Catwoman as a playable character, it has been revealed.

Streams of the game being played reveal that Catwoman is only playable for those who have bought a new copy of the game or buy a code.

"Catwoman is a unique character with her own story, moves, and weapons. Unlock Catwoman by redeeming the 1st purchaser included in the game case or by visiting Xbox Live Marketplace," says the game's title screen.

Eurogamer has had this verified by a source.

Batman: Arkham City's VIP pass unlocks four story scenes that feature Catwoman as a playable character.

It also unlocks Catwoman as a playable character in challenge mode (called Riddler's Revenge).

Without the VIP pass code, Catwoman still appears in the game as part of the story, but her playable missions remain locked.

Meanwhile, reports indicate the Xbox 360 version has been leaked online and is available to download from torrent sites.

Those who wish to avoid story spoilers are advised to watch new gameplay videos with caution.

Eurogamer has contacted publisher Warner Bros. for comment.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-13-batman-online-pass-unlocks-catwoman

That's pretty shitty. I really hate this trend and I don't even buy used games.
#2 Edited by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -

Mmm it was bound to happen at some time.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11021 posts) -

Not playing as Catwoman does not seem like a bad thing to me.

#4 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

Meh. Whatever.

#5 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I'd personally rather have the online pass thing than this.

#6 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

Cutting main story missions isn't a bad thing?
#7 Posted by WonderboyCoz (153 posts) -

They made what seems to be an incredible game, early reviews are 10/10s etc. I think that they are entitled to some of that money stuff people get sometimes.

Yeah, complain all you want but if this is a way of stopping people from buying used games, then why wouldn't they do it. Sure, some people cant afford to buy games at retail price but if you are buying a game cheaper than say "me", then maybe you shouldnt get all the stuff that I get for buying a game for full price.

Just the way I feel about it...

#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

I don't really see why this is bad? It's an incentive for people to buy the game new and support the developer.

Then again I buy all my games new and I hate the idea of the used game market anyway, so I guess I am biased.

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -

CD keys. Get ready. Next generation.

#10 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
@WonderboyCoz said:

They made what seems to be an incredible game, early reviews are 10/10s etc. I think that they are entitled to some of that money stuff people get sometimes.

Yeah, complain all you want but if this is a way of stopping people from buying used games, then why wouldn't they do it. Sure, some people cant afford to buy games at retail price but if you are buying a game cheaper than say "me", then maybe you shouldnt get all the stuff that I get for buying a game for full price.

Just the way I feel about it...

And if you buy it new at full price but can't play online for whatever reason? What excuse then?
#11 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

I really hate this trend and I don't even buy used games.

Couldn't have sait it better myself.

#12 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

What I never got about the used games argument is when people say "Oh, but I can't afford to buy games new", well... you know typically if you can't afford something most people... well tend to not buy it. I really want a Fiat 500, but I don't have the money. And if I buy a used car, it'll obviously be somewhat worse than a new one. This seems to be the same principle, it's just applied artificially as opposed to a new product naturally wearing down over use. I guess you can't really wear a game, so if this is the only way they can assure a certain amount of copies sold, well fine.

Honestly I'm tired of hearing about this as "news". It's just an expectation at this point to lock out some minor incentive to used buyers. That's just the state of the industry.

#13 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -
@Metal_Mills Then I guess F you? Digital future. PC gamers use CD keys, they use Steam.

And it has less to do with 'play offline' than 'permanently be offline'.
#14 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

Ok, maybe I'm not reading properly, but where does it say you have to be online to play those parts?

#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
@MooseyMcMan said:

"Catwoman is a unique character with her own story, moves, and weapons"
#16 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@Strife777 said:

Ok, maybe I'm not reading properly, but where does it say you have to be online to play those parts?

Uh... how else do you enable an online pass?

#17 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
@Strife777 said:

You get a code that you use on XBL marketplace. 

@Brodehouse said:
@Metal_Mills Then I guess F you? Digital future. PC gamers use CD keys, they use Steam. And it has less to do with 'play offline' than 'permanently be offline'.

So your answer to a person who is offline is fuck you too bad? I'm sure you'd be the one to tell them off if THEY went fuck you and pirated the game, with catwoman. A PC is almost 100% of the time connected to the net but not all consoles are.
#18 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
@Metal_Mills said:
@MooseyMcMan said:

"Batman: Arkham City's VIP pass unlocks four story scenes that feature Catwoman as a playable character. Without the VIP pass code, Catwoman still appears in the game as part of the story, but her playable missions remain locked."

It's her part of the main story.

#19 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
@AhmadMetallic said:
@Metal_Mills said:
@MooseyMcMan said:

"Batman: Arkham City's VIP pass unlocks four story scenes that feature Catwoman as a playable character. Without the VIP pass code, Catwoman still appears in the game as part of the story, but her playable missions remain locked."

It's her part of the main story.

Oh, so there's a Catwoman portion in the main story, and also a catwoman side-story mode.
#20 Posted by Veektarius (4836 posts) -

Redeeming an online pass requires you to connect to the internet once... this seems like a pretty slight requirement. How many people have Xboxes and no internet? And what is wrong with them?

#21 Posted by Maelstrom (38 posts) -

We are already sliding down the slippery slope of games ownership and still some of you guys don't have a problem with it. How far do publishers have to go for you guys to wake up and say "enough is enough"?

I loved Batman: Arkham Asylum but between hacking up the game models and handing them out as preorder "bonuses" to several retailers and now requiring online access for story missions in a singleplayer-only game, I am just going to wait until Arkham City drops in price drastically. Maybe next August or so when it gets down to $20 I'll pick it up.

I'm not going to support this type of anti-consumer behavior by paying full price anymore, no matter how much I am anticipating this game. Enough is enough.

#22 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4513 posts) -

Oh for fucks sake. This is just puuuurfect

#23 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@Veektarius said:

Redeeming an online pass requires you to connect to the internet once... this seems like a pretty slight requirement. How many people have Xboxes and no internet? And what is wrong with them?

Less than half the Xbox 360s sold have ever connected to Xbox Live.

#24 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -
@Metal_Mills Wait, so they can't be fucked to connect to the Internet to redeem a code, but they'll connect to the Internet to pirate it?

Also, is your response to every 'this game requires an Internet connection' to steal the game?
#25 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Metal_Mills Wait, so they can't be fucked to connect to the Internet to redeem a code, but they'll connect to the Internet to pirate it? Also, is your response to every 'this game requires an Internet connection' to steal the game?

@iAmJohn said:

Less than half the Xbox 360s sold have ever connected to Xbox Live.

#26 Posted by Giefcookie (600 posts) -

So I need to get it on PC or buy a router so I can connect my ps3 to the interwebs. CHOICES!

#27 Posted by alternate (2706 posts) -

Seems extreme. Even more so than all the silly pre-prder skin bollocks. Was thinking of buying it, might rent it now out of spite. If it is really good I might then buy it when the PC version comes out (steam sale) or maybe GOTY edition.

#28 Edited by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:

@Metal_Mills Wait, so they can't be fucked to connect to the Internet to redeem a code, but they'll connect to the Internet to pirate it? Also, is your response to every 'this game requires an Internet connection' to steal the game?

You can't be that simple minded. It's not a matter of being too lazy to connect to the internet. Some people CAN'T because of any number of reasons. Maybe it's in another room and they don't have wireless or maybe they do have wireless but it's poor reception where the console is. Maybe they need to buy extra stuff? Like iAmJohn said half the consoles sold have never connected. But I guess all of them can get fucked for being lazy shits, huh?
#29 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

SIGH! I'm getting this...especially if trophies are involved...plus I really like Catwoman, one of Batman's better love interests...

#30 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

CD keys. Get ready. Next generation.

God I wish. I have no problems with keys seeing as every game I buy is new.

#31 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

I'm buying it new and me complaining on an Internet forum about it will do nothing to change how games are going so I fucking don't care.

#32 Posted by Shadowjester (93 posts) -

Well I bought the first game because I heard it was really good. So I bought it at full price. Which helped the developer. The developer responded to the sales and decided to make another game. Which sounds like it will be equally good. But now they have the gall to try and encourage people to purchase their game "brand new"!!!!! I don't think I can support such a developer! (just fyi that was sarcasm)

#33 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I'm either buying it on Steam or day 1 so idgaf 

Used game sales are a bigger problem than piracy but I don't see a whole lot of bitching when people who pirate lose content

#34 Posted by Veektarius (4836 posts) -

@iAmJohn: Where'd you get that?

#35 Posted by MrMazz (979 posts) -

@Jack268: used games are not a bigger problem than piracy. 1 is a perfectly legal part of the free market the other is STEALING

Seeing how I already preodered and bought the game I won't have a problem but really locking up single player content now with a online pass Even if it is a side story can't wait for EA to force Bioware to lock up certain story endings or what have you to make sure the mighty EA gets their 10 bucks.

For single player focused games I normally buy used since other than playing them once or twice i'm not going to play them again and just resell them on Amazon or to Gamestop and use them to buy a multiplayer focused game since getting in early is normally a big deal with those.

this seems really shady but im not surprised.

#36 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that they're locking out story mission content. Why not just lock out the entire game and be done with it?

I never buy used (I'm primarily a PC gamer in the first place) but this actually makes me want to wait until a massive price drop happens for the game on Steam so that WB get's less of my money. Ugh, fortunately I'm not that irrational.

#37 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

Used game sales are a bigger problem than piracy

In what fucking universe is this true? Do people who buy used copies not purchase DLC or other add-ons? Are they not buying a copy of the game that someone already purchased and gave money to the publisher/developer for (unlike most piracy, which is predicated on thousands of people downloading a copy of a game that one person, if anyone, bought)?

The anti-used argument continues to be the most ridiculously asinine argument ever, and I really hope that if you're saying dumb shit like this, you never buy disc games on sale or clearance from retail, because then you're a fucking hypocrite.

#38 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@Veektarius said:

@iAmJohn: Where'd you get that?

Microsoft themselves have said this for years.

#39 Posted by Sogeman (871 posts) -

At least they didn't add some stupid Multiplayer content just to lock that out. I don't really mind Passes, I don't buy used.

#40 Posted by rbanke (191 posts) -

I was actually happy to hear this at first as I thought you'd play as Batman instead of Catwoman during her parts (I have zero interest in catwoman). Sucks that her sections seem to just be cut right out. These things never affect me because I buy new, but it's getting pretty ridiculous to require people to have internet connections for SP content to be unlocked.

#41 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@iAmJohn: If they do buy DLC, then this isn't a problem at all since the catwoman missions will obviously be available to them as DLC as well. 
#42 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@Jack268: What about my other point that you're oh so conveniently ignoring?

#43 Edited by deskp (448 posts) -

I dont buy used games, so this doesent affect me, but it is really bad for those who buy it new but dont have internet on their system.

Locking online play with a code is ok, since you wouldn't need internet for that anyways, but singel played offline content is a bit harsh in my opinion.

if i had been affected i would be so pissed. But really, good for them (the publishers/developers) people who buy the game the way they intended will get everything promised. Also maybe you can sue the used games retailers if they dont inform you that not everything advertised on the box is included!

#44 Edited by DarkChris (17 posts) -

Does anyone know if Collector's Edition includes the pass?

#45 Posted by wafflez (528 posts) -

@DarkChris said:

I would assume every new copy of the game comes with a pass ;)

#46 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Wow, that seems really bold and dumb...

#47 Posted by DarkChris (17 posts) -

@wafflez said:

@DarkChris said:

I would assume every new copy of the game comes with a pass ;)

Thanks!

#48 Edited by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

Why don't they just include a code to just play the game all ready. We are half way there anyway. This is getting ridiculous.

What I want to know is HOW IS THIS AN ONLINE PASS? There is NO ONLINE CONTENT!

This will probably be one of the best games of the year and Warner Bros feels the need to sully it and Rocksteady with this CRAP!

#49 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

I really like the idea of sticking it to used games sales. They should've removed something significant, though... like the only way you can unlock the last chapter is by entering a code XD

#50 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

Still probably going to get it used.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.