Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

What happened to Clayface? [Potential Spoilers]

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Chocobodude3

Because at the end of Arkham City Clayface gets knocked into the Lazarus Pit but then it explodes right after he got knocked into it so that could have killed him for good? please give a spoiler free answer.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No, that would bearly hinder someone like Clayface.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My more curious question would be what state did that turn of events leave him in? Clayface is pretty much immortal as is and if they wanted to reintroduce him they could use the pit as some enhancement to his already intimidating powerset.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I dunno, probably not.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ozzdog12

There are movie posters in Arkham Knight staring Basil Karlo, which was Clayface in Arkham City.(He isn't the only person to take up Clayface mantle, but probably is in the Arkhamverse)

In short, No.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hatking

at the end of Arkham City... please give a spoiler free answer.

This is like a word puzzle.

davidmerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like Killer Croc, Mr. Freeze and the other villains who don't appear in Arkham Knight, I figure they either chose not to participate or wisely got the hell out of Dodge.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#8 sweep  Moderator

I edited your thread title. Please do not post spoilers in the titles, even for older games.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like Killer Croc, Mr. Freeze and the other villains who don't appear in Arkham Knight, I figure they either chose not to participate or wisely got the hell out of Dodge.

I keep seeing that Killer Croc isn't in Arkham Knight, but techincally he is...for like 5 secs. During the Joker-mobile fight, He is super weird looking and evolved. Joker even says, "Croc, Old boy, better duck"

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Ghostiet

Clayface probably lays low. He pretty much can't die and I imagine the Lazarus Pit combination probably just staggered him for a while.

@ozzdog12 said:
    @davidmerrick said:

I keep seeing that Killer Croc isn't in Arkham Knight, but techincally he is...for like 5 secs. During the Joker-mobile fight, He is super weird looking and evolved. Joker even says, "Croc, Old boy, better duck"

Arkham!Croc is mutating to the point that he is probably mindless by the time the Arkham Knight shows up, so that's why he's only in the hallucination.

Mr. Freeze took Batman's advice and got the fuck out, probably helped by Nora getting worse.

The tie-in comic reveals Bane pulled a semi-face turn after he detoxed from Titan and decided to stay in his home country and fight with its corrupt political system.

Ra's and Talia are probably licking their wounds after the Arkham City clusterfuck, as their bodies disappear in the post-game.

Grundy's not really a Batman villain and he can't die, so he's out there somewhere.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

Clayface probably lays low. He pretty much can't die and I imagine the Lazarus Pit combination probably just staggered him for a while.

@ozzdog12 said:
    @davidmerrick said:

Arkham!Croc is mutating to the point that he is probably mindless by the time the Arkham Knight shows up, so that's why he's only in the hallucination.

Mr. Freeze took Batman's advice and got the fuck out, probably helped by Nora getting worse.

The tie-in comic reveals Bane pulled a semi-face turn after he detoxed from Titan and decided to stay in his home country and fight with its corrupt political system.

Ra's and Talia are probably licking their wounds after the Arkham City clusterfuck, as their bodies disappear in the post-game.

Grundy's not really a Batman villain and he can't die, so he's out there somewhere.

That little shrine you find in Founders Island is creepy as fuuuck

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ghostiet said:

See this is why I supported the Damian is Arkham Knight (not technically a spoiler but just to be safe) theory, it makes so much more sense given the way Arkham City ended. Arkham City spoilers ahead:

Tahlia dies for real and the League took Ra's body back to the Lazarus Pit to revive him and while he's recuperating, Damian takes over and exacts revenge on Batman for failing to save his mother. I'm assuming Ra's would have amassed a mountain of wealth so that would explain the whole militia army and some of the soldiers wield swords which further supports the theory. It would be more of a shock to both the players and Batman himself if Damian reveals to be the son he doesn't even know about.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Well, they have a $40 season pass that literally says it has "more supervillains invading Gotham". They could easily have one of the villains mentioned above in those dlc missions.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definetly wouldn't have minded seeing him again. His appearance in AC gave me the biggest grin ever, because he was easily one of my favourite villains in Batman TAS.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

See this is why I supported the Damian is Arkham Knight (not technically a spoiler but just to be safe) theory, it makes so much more sense given the way Arkham City ended. Arkham City spoilers ahead:

Tahlia dies for real and the League took Ra's body back to the Lazarus Pit to revive him and while he's recuperating, Damian takes over and exacts revenge on Batman for failing to save his mother. I'm assuming Ra's would have amassed a mountain of wealth so that would explain the whole militia army and some of the soldiers wield swords which further supports the theory. It would be more of a shock to both the players and Batman himself if Damian reveals to be the son he doesn't even know about.

I agree with the spirit, my only issue is the fucked timeline - it's never really said how long Bats has been going at it in the Arkham series, with the devs flip-flopping between 5 and 10 years between Origins and Asylum, which would still not be enough to make that twist be plausible.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PhilOsyfee

@ghostiet: I think things could have been more closely attuned to the comic or animated film Under The Red Hood. Instead of having Ra's revive Jason as a favor to Batman, make it one last fuck you before he actually does die. It could still explain the mass fortune/militia at his hands and have almost the exact same story revolving the Joker not being there for Jason to exact his revenge.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:
    @probablytuna said:

@ghostiet said:

I agree with the spirit, my only issue is the fucked timeline - it's never really said how long Bats has been going at it in the Arkham series, with the devs flip-flopping between 5 and 10 years between Origins and Asylum, which would still not be enough to make that twist be plausible.

I mean Batman has gone through three Robins and two Batwomans by the time Arkham Knight starts so yeah the timeline is already fucked if they're considering the 5 - 10 year career. I could easily see Batman and Tahlia having their fling in Year Two, Damian is born and he is like eighteen by Arkham Knight. But then again it's stupid that Batman has been fighting the same criminals for twenty years without much progress. Comics are fucking weird.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shindig

Hey, if I was a supervillain and my nemesis has a code of no killing, I'd go back to the same well too. There's no real punishment besides prison which you're already doing.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ghostiet

@probablytuna said:
    @ghostiet said:
    @probablytuna said:

@ghostiet said:

I mean Batman has gone through three Robins and two Batwomans by the time Arkham Knight starts so yeah the timeline is already fucked if they're considering the 5 - 10 year career. I could easily see Batman and Tahlia having their fling in Year Two, Damian is born and he is like eighteen by Arkham Knight. But then again it's stupid that Batman has been fighting the same criminals for twenty years without much progress. Comics are fucking weird.

Not Batwomans. Kate Kane is Bruce's cousin and the Batwoman, a separate hero in her own right, despite her similarities to Batman (and also, one of the few series in the New 52 that are worth a shit). Oracle aka Barbara Gordon was Batgirl until she was crippled by the Joker. It's actually heavily implied that Barbara Gordon was the only Batgirl in the Arkham universe, which is really odd, as the series has been nothing if not a crowdpleaser to many DC nerds - so no Stephanie Brown nor Cassandra fucking Cain weirds me out.

And yeah, comis are weird, but the reason it works - or at least doesn't annoy me as much - is that the comics operate on a different idea of time and finality due to various continuities and their troubled history. The Arkham series don't, which makes all the timeline shenanigans awkward, although it's less awkward than the New 52 bullshit, where we're supposed to believe that Bats went through a Batgirl, an Oracle, four Robins and all the previous post-Crisis events like Knightfall, Hush and No Man's Land in the span of five fucking years.

Also, Batwoman hype, again (and Batman's last line had me in stitches and still has):

No Caption Provided

Fuck me, DC. Make WB Montreal do a larger Batfamily game, in the vein of Batman Inc. Or just make a TV show with Florence Welch in the role, I don't know, fucking do something with one of your better properties in recent years.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

This is DC we are talking about. Dying for good isn't part of what superheroes or super villains do in that universe.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:
    @probablytuna said:
    @ghostiet said:
    @probablytuna said:

@ghostiet said:

Not Batwomans. Kate Kane is Bruce's cousin and the Batwoman, a separate hero in her own right, despite her similarities to Batman (and also, one of the few series in the New 52 that are worth a shit). Oracle aka Barbara Gordon was Batgirl until she was crippled by the Joker. It's actually heavily implied that Barbara Gordon was the only Batgirl in the Arkham universe, which is really odd, as the series has been nothing if not a crowdpleaser to many DC nerds - so no Stephanie Brown nor Cassandra fucking Cain weirds me out.

And yeah, comis are weird, but the reason it works - or at least doesn't annoy me as much - is that the comics operate on a different idea of time and finality due to various continuities and their troubled history. The Arkham series don't, which makes all the timeline shenanigans awkward, although it's less awkward than the New 52 bullshit, where we're supposed to believe that Bats went through a Batgirl, an Oracle, four Robins and all the previous post-Crisis events like Knightfall, Hush and No Man's Land in the span of five fucking years.

Also, Batwoman hype, again (and Batman's last line had me in stitches and still has):

No Caption Provided

Fuck me, DC. Make WB Montreal do a larger Batfamily game, in the vein of Batman Inc. Or just make a TV show with Florence Welch in the role, I don't know, fucking do something with one of your better properties in recent years.

What makes the timeline super weird is Damien, Grayson, Tim Drake and Jason Todd. Their ages sort of tells you how time progresses but Bruce always looks the same, I have no clue how old he is because he still looks to be in his 30's while at the same time people seem to be talking about Bats being at his end. There's been several story lines where Bruce was a the end of his line too, barely keeping it together.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By probablytuna

@ghostiet: Yeah my bad, I just figured Barbara took over the Batwoman mantle. I thought Batwoman does/did exist in the Arkhamverse since it was hinted at in the phone messages in Wayne Tower about Kane leading a double life or something along those lines.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna: Don't worry, I'm just nerding out. She does exist - she calls Bruce to remind him of her engagement with Det. (now Commissioner) Maggie Sawyer and the ensuing party. She also reveals that Bruce Wayne hasn't been seen in person in weeks, further indicating that ol' Bats is going mad.

BTW, the fact that the Arkham!Batwoman is actually going to be happily married makes the lack of other Batgirls in the games really weird to me - it's a pure fanservice moment of sticking it to the infamous Dan DiDio editorializing of that character's subplot, and fuck me if the fans don't love Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown. Makes me wonder how much of executive meddling from those DC fuckers Rocksteady had to endure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.