Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Knight

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 23, 2015

Developer Rocksteady's return to the Batman series takes place one year after the events of Arkham City. It expands the open world from the previous game and allows players to finally drive the Batmobile throughout Gotham City's streets.

Are you excited for Batman Arkham Knight?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I'm 50/50.

The graphics and the city will probably be amazing and pretty damn big if we're supposed to drive a Batmobile in it. That driving part scares me, and it should scare everyone I think. As a fan of the Batman comics I'm disappointed they've continued down this aesthetic road but I do think the character proportions and other changes they've made are cool.

It's too bad all we got was another lousy cg trailer.

Hopefully gameplay shown at E3.

Will this game make people buy new consoles?

Wii U version?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

If the game is as tight and polished an experience as Arkham Asylum (plus well implemented batmobile), that would be cool.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Paul Dini isn't penning - Bad

Sequel to all the loose ends from City - Good

Armour instead of a mesh - bad

Streamlined gauntlets and shin-guards - good

Batmobile usage - good

Nothing else new shown like the teaser to city - Bad

So yeah, 50/50. I am excited though, It makes sense Rocksteady doing this while the other Studio covered the Origin i was getting worried.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not really. I mean, the CG trailer was cool but it was a CG trailer. I've seen nothing that makes me excited for more Batman but that's probably because I'm burned out. There's only so much you can do in a Batman game and I've played 3. Maybe later this year or after some gameplay videos I'll get pumped, but for now I don't care. I mean, I know it'll be great because Rocksteady and I'm glad it's on current-gen only (not next gen anymore people) but I don't really want more Batman at the moment.

Watch me get the game anyway.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i need to see more.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

yuppers

really Arkham City's highest moment was the Shark reference from the Adam West Batman movie. I love how Rocksteady just wrapped itself with EVERYTHING BATMAN! The fights look more like Michael Keaton fights, there's the joel schumacher neon, there's an actually a reference to Frank Gorshin's hit song "THE RIDDLER" and even Catwoman's partner Holly Robinson is the excuse why she's in Arkham City in the first place. And at no point does it feel just embarrassing. If Etrigan were to pop up in this game I wouldn't be surprise, I'd act like it's normal.

My only big complaint..... now we are dealing with annual batman games, next year another studio announced they have a batman game they did in about 2 years or more. Like the Spiderman games.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Totally. The only Batman game I've played during this golden age of Batman games ins Arkham City, which I still re-download to jump in the combat trials from time to time. Arkham City was about as immersive a game as I think I could ever expect from a third person action game, it just did everything right, even the stuff I had no patience for like the Riddle trophies. It's a shame I didn't own that game when it came out so the Calendar Man and other fun gimmicks were wasted on me, but the core gameplay was so perfect it's not a bother at all I missed out on parts of its original charms.

Tell me you're giving me a Batman game from the folks that made Arkham City, tying it exclusively to PS4/XB1 power and adding a Batmobile to it? Sold. Sold. Sold. Sold. SOLD.

(I didn't watch the trailer because, well, it's a CG trailer. Why would I?)

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

A new Rocksteady Batman game is always an exciting thing.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

yuppers

really Arkham City's highest moment was the Shark reference from the Adam West Batman movie. I love how Rocksteady just wrapped itself with EVERYTHING BATMAN! The fights look more like Michael Keaton fights, there's the joel schumacher neon, there's an actually a reference to Frank Gorshin's hit song "THE RIDDLER" and even Catwoman's partner Holly Robinson is the excuse why she's in Arkham City in the first place. And at no point does it feel just embarrassing. If Etrigan were to pop up in this game I wouldn't be surprise, I'd act like it's normal.

I like the way you think ;)

Also, If you look at the Origins game you see Joel Schumacher INFLUENCE IN Gotham Architecture as well. Why is it the movies can't do this, embrace what Batman is and what it's become? Oh well, GAMES!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I've seen a bit too much of Rocksteady's Batman to be excited per se, but I am optimistic and expect I will play this game (which I didn't do with Origins)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokaired said:

@crithon said:

yuppers

I like the way you think ;)

Also, If you look at the Origins game you see Joel Schumacher INFLUENCE IN Gotham Architecture as well. Why is it the movies can't do this, embrace what Batman is and what it's become? Oh well, GAMES!

hehe, well it's a big blender of Batman fan service. The thing with Arkham City and Asylum it gave that impression "ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!" And to some respects it works wonderfully like the scare crow mind fucks bits that still work even then I've replayed the game 5 years later. But I do feel like Origins has a better story structure just lacks that attention to detail that's a total fanboy joy.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Not yet. CGI trailers don't excite me. Gameplay trailers is where it's at. Or at least in-engine stuff.

The Batmobile being playable in the game sure does spark my interest though. How much of an open world game will Arkham Knight be?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RonGalaxy

I really hope the driving stuff isn't segmented. I want an open world that lets me freely drive around in with the batmobile. I also hope the city feels more alive than the previous games.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the IGN rewind theatre they were talking about the CGI in the trailer as if it was the actual gameplay. I'm excited for the game nevertheless. Love me some Arkham and I'm not burned out on the series yet. I still have to get Origins thought.

Not too sure what I think about a useable Batmobile tbh. I like the traversal in the previous games.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I'm just excited it will be a 2014 release. I feel like it's a barren wasteland this year for the most part in terms of consoles.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I have never been excited by a Batman game...this is no exception...

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RazielCuts

I was pretty burnt out on the Arkham franchise after City and as such skipped Origins. This is WB's Assassins Creed/Call of Duty/FIFA and its turning what was a cool concept into run of the mill. Having said that though if they do enough to make this feel different then I might bite but from the trailer there doesn't seem to be any unique 'hook' here, be in concept, in story, gameplay mechanics or what have you (Batmobile doesn't really count). But its early days so we'll see, cautiously optimistic.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's obviously a Turn Based Strategy game co-developed by Firaxis.

Seriously, that trailer could not have been more Civ V. It even sounds like the same narrator.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By alanm26v5

I haven't played Origins yet and I really liked the other 2 games, but I don't know how I feel about the implications having a car has on the size and scope of the game. Even though Arkham City had a technically "open world", the feel and scale was such that everything seemed designed and hand-placed, especially when you consider how it integrated in with the puzzles and collectibles. I don't want to explore some large area if it's as boring as most open world games feel in comparison. That's a pretty small nitpick though, and I'm at the very least looking forward to learning more about the game closer to its release.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Pie

With City they went down a "bigger equals better route" that they seem to be continuing here. That led to City being a lot less tight than Asylum and generally a bit worse. I hope that doesn't happen again here but I'm not really that excited about the prospect of a new batman

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really, but that's mostly because there isn't much to be excited for at this point. For some reason I have a feeling the Batmobile is going to be a huge waste of potential.

Oh, and when this game comes out I better be able to play as Animated Series Batman.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm kind of bummed that they're including the Batmobile, full stop. After vehement denials from the studio that we'd ever get behind the wheel of that thing (and it did look gorgeous in Asylum and City), I half expected there to be one driving section in the third game that was played up with fanfare and gusto because "since this is the last one, fine, here you go".

The idea that they're treating it as just another means of travel deflates my desire to drive it. As does the design. It looks like some god awful Nolanverse piece of tin and cardboard.

On the whole, yeah, the aesthetic is bumming me out. The new suit reminds me of both Arkham Origins and the Nolanverse bat suit. Why can't they just rejigger a few colours on the City skin and call it a day? That was damn near perfect. I guess I'm just tired of my superheroes looking like mechanized warriors as opposed to, well, superheroes.

I mean hell, I'd settle for the current Snyder/Capullo look if they really must do something "current". Anything but the Bat-Bale suit.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

super stoked

love the new batsuit

love the batmobile

bring it on

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Yep. And I thought Origins was a ton of fun.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my favorite franchises from this generation ? Now on new consoles ? With Rocksteady back behind the wheel (no pun intended) ?

Ye, I'm pretty excited.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fetchfox

It kinda took me by surprise actually. I'm not sold on the hype yet, but once I see some gameplay I'll probably be all over it. The fact that Rocksteady is back with a Batman is awesome though, as is the fact that Kevin Conroy will reprise his role.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It looks interesting, but I will hold my interest a little longer.

I am ambivalent about the focus in the batmobile... hopefully we will get to see it in action soon enough.

I am also bummed that the game was only announced in current consoles. I know the jump will start sooner or latter, but I am still not ready (especially now that Atlus announced content for 2015). I might play it, eventually... but not on release date. I am half expecting WB will pull a Titanfall and announce a 360/PS3 version down the line.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Honestly not really. I was tired of the formula halfway through City and thought that game had a ridiculous plot and a ton of "narrative dissonance" people like to mention so much. As much as I love a free roam city game I just didn't really enjoy zipping around all those same rooftops over and over again.

So yah until I see gameplay and they show something drastically different I think I'll pass just like I passed on Origins. I know the gameplay is probably solid but it's the trappings and the story that will make or break it for me.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a person who totally enjoyed Origins despite it not aspiring to reinvent the wheel, I wasn't that excited for Arkham Knight at first. Returning as Batman just a year after my last visit to Gotham didn't seem that enticing, but I melted when I saw those Game Informer scans. Game looks gorgeous.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm confident this one will be great, BUT this is the last one I want to play for about 10 years.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BisonHero

@minipato said:

It's obviously a Turn Based Strategy game co-developed by Firaxis.

Seriously, that trailer could not have been more Civ V. It even sounds like the same narrator.

That narrator sounds nothing like W. Morgan Sheppard. Though yes, both narrations are a father talking to his son about how they see the future unfolding, so sure, there is that basic similarity.

Loading Video...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By musubi

No, I'm sort of done with these games unless they change up the formula big time including the fighting engine.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Having recently played Origins, I found myself most disappointed not by its flaws, but by its strengths, which were otherwise couched within an experience that lacked the tightness and attention to detail of the previous entries.

In point of fact, the Arkham games remain some of the most well-produced and conceived third-person action titles of the last generation, and their success rides in no small degree on how well they empower the player in a vicarious role as the Batman. Origins failed in many instances with this empowerment, whether due to out-of-place mechanical additions or any one of its many technical flaws. I, personally, came away from that failure not burned out on the idea of playing another Arkham game, but energized to see one more go at recapturing that magic. I felt like, okay, Origins doesn't really count in the scope of things because it wasn't a Rocksteady game. That experience wasn't delivered by the same team who had lovingly crafted two masterful works beforehand.

So here we are. We're at the ragged edge. The talks of "burn out" and "stagnancy" are less and less subtle. And now, Rocksteady is back behind the wheel, having at their disposal the tools to present what might hopefully be their ultimate vision of the Batman mythos.

Yes. I want to be the Bat one last time.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By falserelic

After this Rocksteady should work on a superman game.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CaLe

"We wanted to make the best car in any game ever."

This got me more interested than I was upon just hearing the announcement. Not because I love the Batmobile or anything, I just think saying this reveals a lot about their approach to the whole game and the open world nature of it. They aren't just sticking a car into an open world game.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super excited. It's the finale to the Arkham arc and Rocksteady releases polished games that aren't riddled with bugs like Origins was.

Plus the batmobile will add a lot of variety to the gameplay I think, especially if you can have it follow you around the city as your swinging across roof tops. and it's next gen only. and the trailer looked amazing. and Kevin Conroy is back. And Scarecrow is the main villain.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

not really but I may play it

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pause422

I don't know how someone can be excited for nothing yet but a CG trailer. Give me some gameplay.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I can't remember where I read this but apparently Rocksteady said they want the batmobile to be best car.

In any game.

Ever.

Hmmmm ... food for thought.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Eurogamer chat with Rocksteady was published today. Some choice quotes:

Burnouts, jumps, boosts, circle rotation - the Batmobile can do it all. Its bulletproof armour even lets it smash through barricades, trees and, swoon, building corners.

The car can be summoned to Batman quickly at a button press, and he can eject out at high-speed, zooming up into a glide while the car brings itself to a halt. Quickly in, quickly out.

"We don't have the time to do multiplayer. We want to focus on making the best single-player experience we can. We don't feel that it needs a multiplayer element. Warner Bros. backed that up right at the start."

Hence the new open world of Gotham City, which will be split into three islands. It's five-times the size of Arkham City, apparently.

He'll have a new suit, incidentally, with new toys and abilities, but won't access it until a little way into the game.

Before he even gets to the floor he can take out multiple foes, firing Batarangs and landing with a kick. He can disarm enemies, turning their weapons against them, and smash heads and bodies into environmental hazards. Throw-counters open enemies to even more damage, and Batman can perform quick ground strikes mid combat flow. On top of that are fear take-downs that slow time, giving you a chance to quickly hide again. In other words, Batman's more powerful than ever, although Rocksteady has been careful not to "overcomplicate" the signature combat of the series - "[its] strength is in its simplicity".

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@historyinrust: That all sounds fantastic. I hope that there are actual civilians in the game. City and Origins felt weird because there were almost no friendly civilians walking around (the story explained it but it still bothered me). If the city is 5 times the size of Arkham City I feel like it'll be even more noticeable to me.

I really hope the good people of Gotham show up in this game. Fingers crossed!

universalize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

#43  Edited By universalize

if joker dominates the game again then no

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm extremely excited for this.

But then again, I really like Origins, I guess i'm easy to please when it comes to Batman.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45  Edited By theacidskull

Despite the skepticism here, I am very excited for it. I personally think that Dini not writing is a good thing actually, because whilst I DID like the story behind city, it at times felt predictable considering that I honestly saw the Hugo Strange twist coming a mile away. Hugo says there is some higher power helping him and then suddenly we have a Ra's level, really? They at least could have done a better job. Plus Hugo kind of became a pawn rather than an actual villain which kind of annoyed me. Origins actually had a much more entertaining and cooler story , considering that i really couldn't tell the Joker twist coming. Plus it explored the relationship between Bruce and the clown prince of crime on a much deeper level. I still think that Asylum had the best plot of all tho. Either ways I'm getting of track.

I am very happy and I loved the first trailer, I hope the keep the unbroken game mechanics but try to add a couple of tweaks that would change the battleground, for example while origins had a very similar combat system to the other games, it provided us with a variety of thugs and boss battle which made the experience amazing. Plus , they are much more free now considering they are basically creating a new villain, who hope they fully utilize as a character. I am secretly hoping that they heavily focus on the fact that this akrham Knight is what BRUCE could become should he ever break his one rule. Rocksteady hasn't disappointed me yet with this games and this Arkham franchise is arguably one of the best superhero games to date, so yeah, I'm pumped.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.