Batman refuses to pull up

#1 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

early on in Burnley's Comunication Tower there's this amazing bug, where batman is trapped in a room and the vent is the only way out. I continued to try this, maybe 7 more times, then WBID would disconnect me. And it's not the only one, had a couple tragic ones in predator moment in the story. There's a lot of surface problems and path finding issues I keep seeing in the game, hopefully a patch may come soon. One can only hope.

Please feel free to share bugs you encountered.

#2 Posted by Rowr (5523 posts) -

did you pirate it?

This seems reminiscent of the intentional bug in arkham asylum

#3 Edited by fetchfox (1257 posts) -

Strange bug indeed... and this should have been posted in the sub forums of the game. A moderator can probably fix that?

#4 Posted by GiroMindTricks (63 posts) -

The steam forums are filled with people complaining about this. Only way past it is to glitch it, there is a video on the steam forums showing you how. I'm just gonna leave it till it gets patched as it isn't required for the main story, well as far as I know it's not.

#5 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

He isn't strong enough yet.

#6 Edited by ThunderSlash (1648 posts) -

@rowr said:

did you pirate it?

This seems reminiscent of the intentional bug in arkham asylum

That was my first thought as well, but no way will they pull the same trick twice.

Edit: I'm seeing people in the Steam forums claiming to have the problem, and I've confirmed that they own the game on Steam. So this is certainly a legitimate bug.

#7 Edited by alternate (2693 posts) -

Read as "Batman refuses to pull out". Dirty Batman.

#8 Posted by egg (1455 posts) -

Are intentional bugs a good idea? I mean what if the pirater just assumes the game is buggy instead of buying the full game?

#9 Posted by Grixxel (764 posts) -

Same thing happened to me. Good thing you can just quick travel out of there.

#10 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

@egg said:

Are intentional bugs a good idea? I mean what if the pirater just assumes the game is buggy instead of buying the full game?

You can assume the pirate wasn't a customer to begin with. He would have played the full game and have no reason to buy it.

#11 Edited by egg (1455 posts) -

@seedofpower said:

@egg said:

You can assume the pirate wasn't a customer to begin with. He would have played the full game and have no reason to buy it.

So you're saying it's pointless, then? You're saying that implementing such a bug is a waste of time/effort, so they did it anyway. I could argue that all they're doing, if anything, is granting the pirate a sense of moral vindication. Like "Hey I'm glad I didn't buy this game. People who don't pirate are suckers!"

#12 Edited by GunstarRed (5103 posts) -

I've had to look this up and it seems to be pretty common in that tower. It needs to be patched. I have had to restart numerous sections in that game just for a door or something else to activate.

#13 Posted by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

The game is filled with bugs atm. And this is a very widely reported one.

For example I can't perform glide kicks out of a glide (but can from a ledge). Others have the reverse problem. Batman also spazzes out visually (but keeps flying ok) when gliding over short distances. WBID can crash the game completely when trying to sync to their servers. Batman will go into crouch FPS mode due to geometry during a melee fight sometimes if some enemy animates you into it. And so on.

#14 Posted by Noblenerf (312 posts) -

Judging from the Quick Look, there seemed to be a lot of little pathfinding and traversal problems in BAO. Batman has problems flowing through environments, and enemies are very slow to react.

Things I noticed during the QL:

• Enemies do not react to Batman until he's right in front of them, i.e. when Brad hopped over a railing in front of a thug. The thug only started to engage Batman when he was toe-to-toe against him.
  • On a rooftop, Bats wouldn't step up onto the roof. That was really odd.
  • Poor quick-grapnel manoeuvers, not bringing Batman up very high.
  • The tall buildings in the overworld lack gargoyles to grapnel onto, which seems like an omission. Brad complained about something similar.
  • Many weird animation transitions, but I believe that's standard to the series.
#15 Posted by development (2219 posts) -

@noblenerf: Like Brad said, it doesn't have that "polish." Maybe they held off on early review copies because they wanted to squash as many bugs as possible, but couldn't get them all in time. It would sure make sense.

#16 Posted by Brodehouse (9778 posts) -

Was really hoping they were doing the poison gas room thing again.

#17 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

Same thing happens to me in the same room. I've just decided to avoid that room until they fix it.

#18 Edited by Crysack (301 posts) -

It's not an anti-pirate measure. I bought it on steam and I've run into the same glitch - along with a plethora of other irritating bugs.

#19 Edited by Nodima (1156 posts) -

Is this issue mainly for PC gamers, or is it universal? After the Quick Look and seeing how the cutscenes work I think I'm MAD ready for some more Batman since I never played Asylum (yea, I know) but if all these issues are on the PS3 version of the game I suppose I'll have to wait for next-gen Bats.

#20 Edited by Slaegar (697 posts) -

@seedofpower said:

@egg said:

To be fair the last game I pirated was Fallout New Vegas near launch and felt bad so I bought it. Though, that game was chocked full o' bugs and still is.

Shame this game sounds like such a mess after the first two were so good.

I do want to see a video game where you character isn't strong enough to pull him/herself up over ledges. It takes a lot of upper body strength to do that even with a good grip and video games make it seem like cake.

#21 Edited by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

Well i straight up fell through the world at one point :/

Oh and had the same bug OP mentioned, had to resort to the player found glitch to get around it.

#22 Posted by spraynardtatum (2793 posts) -

This game has frozen up on my at least 5 times since I started playing on the 360.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

@egg said:

@seedofpower said:

@egg said:

So you're saying it's pointless, then? You're saying that implementing such a bug is a waste of time/effort, so they did it anyway. I could argue that all they're doing, if anything, is granting the pirate a sense of moral vindication. Like "Hey I'm glad I didn't buy this game. People who don't pirate are suckers!"

I'd be willing to bet that anyone who makes a habit out of pirating games to demo them (if such a person actually exists) has run across this idea before and would look around the internet to see if the game's actually buggy or if it's buggy because he pirated it.

#24 Posted by jimmyfenix (3851 posts) -
#25 Edited by Vitor (2815 posts) -

@crithon said:

early on in Burnley's Comunication Tower there's this amazing bug, where batman is trapped in a room and the vent is the only way out. I continued to try this, maybe 7 more times, then WBID would disconnect me. And it's not the only one, had a couple tragic ones in predator moment in the story. There's a lot of surface problems and path finding issues I keep seeing in the game, hopefully a patch may come soon. One can only hope.

Please feel free to share bugs you encountered.

Had the EXACT same bug. Annoying as hell.

Batman's hands never clip through objects like that either so there's clearly something wrong with the geometry there.

#26 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

Judging from the Quick Look, there seemed to be a lot of little pathfinding and traversal problems in BAO. Batman has problems flowing through environments, and enemies are very slow to react.

Things I noticed during the QL:

• Enemies do not react to Batman until he's right in front of them, i.e. when Brad hopped over a railing in front of a thug. The thug only started to engage Batman when he was toe-to-toe against him.
  • On a rooftop, Bats wouldn't step up onto the roof. That was really odd.
  • Poor quick-grapnel manoeuvers, not bringing Batman up very high.
  • The tall buildings in the overworld lack gargoyles to grapnel onto, which seems like an omission. Brad complained about something similar.
  • Many weird animation transitions, but I believe that's standard to the series.

I really do think the new team did an entire new engine and redid a lot of things, just never had the time to polish them. These are common problems you see when people make their own levels for Left 4 Dead and the zombies can't climb over a box. That could be solved with actually taking time and actually designing ways for AI to walk over. In Arkham Origins I have Been experiencing a lot of predator missions where there is a enemy just gets stuck in a corner and continue to walk forever. Also a lot of predator missions where the enemies don't call for back up over a body. The quicklook helped just show some of the problems I had with it.

on the steam discussion form I saw a long list of bugs

[BUGS]

• Burnley communication tower vent.
    -Batman is unable to climb into the ventilation shaft, leaving the players trapped in the room.
  • Exiting Penguin's Arena.
    -The two doors leading out will not open, despite prompting you to open them.
  • Muted Audio
    -At certain points, mostly after a cinematic, audio will be completely muted.
  • Inconsistent audio
    - Audio turns on and off sporadically for minutes at a time.
    - Dialogue is also affected
  • Faulty event/audio triggers
    -Lacey tower's investigation audio triggered by approaching Lacey Towers.
  • Subtitle settings.
    -Will not disable even after disabling them in the options screen.
    +Setting subtitles on/off before starting/continuing your game may solve this issue.
  • Detective mode will not let you scan, it instead shuts down to regular view.
  • Bowery communication tower.
    -Enigma video will not play after hacking the tower.
  • Freeflow Focus will not unlock despite meeting the requirements.
  • Batclaw will not disengage.
    -During the Penguin's Final Offer mission, on the raft.
    *Try pressing the crouch key.
  • Missing map markers/waypoints.
    -Lacey Towers waypoint after exiting the Final Offer.
  • Invisible Enemies
    -During Killer Croc's first encounter.
    -During Deathstroke's fight.
  • Clip out of map and fall into an infinite plunge into darkness.
    -When continuing in Royal Hotel.
    -Before the steam pipes outside and above Penguin's Arena, reached by crouching and moving forward into the wall.
    -After finding the disruptor and using the door.
  • Game's process won't shut down after exiting the game
  • Controller promptsalternating between Keyboard icons and Gamepad icons.
  • GCPD Elevator shaft.
    -Possible to go down the shaft after rescuing Gordon, leaving the players stuck.
  • Freezing while saving leads to save being wiped out.
  • Raft on Mad Hatter's wonderland prone to getting stuck.
  • Hints get stuck prompting users to press the same button.
  • Some Exotic takedowns not registering correctly.
  • No autosave during Fast Travel.
  • Some buildings can be grappled onto but unable to clib
  • Glide kick doesn't engage while gliding.
  • Batman seizures while gliding, alternating between landing animation and gliding animation.
  • Some enemies refuse to engage.
  • Batman becomes invulnerable after fast traveling from Batcave
  • Collision issues
    -First encounter with Firefly henchmen outside the bottom of the bridge, henchman slides into a closed door.
    -Deadshot Museum fight, Deadshot rolls inside the stairs making him unreachable.
  • Fast travel detection, sometimes it registers as indoors even when outside.
  • Prompts don't respond when aquiring new gadgets, leaving you staring at your gadget.
  • Sceene loops when entering the batcave.

[CRASHES/FREEZES]

• Crash on startup, game will not load.
  • Black screen during cinematics.
  • Black Screen during Killer Croc's fight.
  • Freeze during Bane's fight.
  • Exiting the Final Offer
  • Crash after the "Loose Lips" arms dealer cinematic.
  • Freeze while Fast-traveling to the Batcave
  • Enabling PhysX causes more crashes
  • While "checking for content" due to resolution issues on GFXSettings.BatmanArkhamOrigins.xml
  • Restarting checkpoint after meeting Joker.
  • Crash on elevator with grinning manager after copperhead encounter.

[PERFORMANCE]

• Stutter/lag in cutscenes.
  • FPS drops in Blackgate Prison.
  • Xbox controller is unresponsive at times.
  • Unresponsive camera during fights.
  • PhysX not performing properly.
  • Mouse not responding during fights.
  • DVD install still requires a 9GB download.
  • Game does not save/autosave
    -Buttons other than 1,2,3 won't map.

[MULTIPLAYER]

• Progress is not being saved.
  • Black Screen, audio still plays.
  • "Error 3" While attempting to connect to multiplayer servers.
  • Brief freezing while beginning MP match.
  • Incorrect number of players reported on lobby.
  • No modifier key support.
#27 Posted by Mister_V (1257 posts) -

Just had the same bug at the same tower. Is there any way round it or am i going to have to wait for a patch?

#28 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (166 posts) -

Here you go guys, haven't gotten to it myself yet but it seems like this is the best way around it from what I've read

#29 Posted by GloomyTangent (194 posts) -

@alternate: I did too.

"But I'm not on the pill..."
"MY PARENTS ARE DEAAAAAAAAD!"

#30 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

Here you go guys, haven't gotten to it myself yet but it seems like this is the best way around it from what I've read

hehe, trying that right now. I have batman floating in mid air arm stuck in the wall.

just tapping that s button, tap tap, tap

#31 Posted by afabs515 (1018 posts) -

@crithon: When you list all the bugs in a row like that, this game seems more broken than functional. Kinda happy I didn't buy this yet. Hopefully it'll be patched soon.

#32 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

@afabs515: oh there's more, keeps updating every couple of minutes off of steam and WB community pages. With games like this, the whole updating process if your lucky could take up to 3 months, multiplatform release they have listings on how bad the PS3 and 360 versions are.

#33 Edited by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

@gloomytangent: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Holy shit, I'm on the train crying with laughter and everyone is looking at me like I'm a lunatic

#34 Posted by ripelivejam (3735 posts) -

sorry but some of these are pretty hilarious. sad to see so much jank tho.

#35 Edited by Abendlaender (2780 posts) -

Cut the poor guy some slack, he is not very experienced yet. Do you know how to climb up a vent or how to get your arm out of a wall? Didn't think so

#36 Posted by Mister_V (1257 posts) -

Well I can confirm that glitch in the youtube video works.

#37 Edited by agoaj (34 posts) -

Just hang in there bats!

#38 Posted by Soap (3575 posts) -

Well i straight up fell through the world at one point :/

Oh and had the same bug OP mentioned, had to resort to the player found glitch to get around it.

Batmans search for the criminal underworld has gone one step too far!

(sorry couldn't help myself)

#39 Posted by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -
#40 Posted by Drekly (158 posts) -

Playing this game thus far has proven to be a bit of a bummer.

I mean, Batman just goes around bumming everyone.

#41 Posted by Aelric (401 posts) -

@49th said:

He isn't strong enough yet.

Gotta Build the grip meter for half an hour.

#42 Posted by Budwyzer (566 posts) -

Just waiting for the Birgirpall video on this one....

#43 Edited by ch3burashka (5037 posts) -

My batman refuses to pull out, too.

#44 Posted by MildMolasses (3218 posts) -

There was just a patch to the game and lo... it still doesn't work

#45 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

I actually cannot seem to get the glitch working right. I get batman to float a bit off to the right of the pipe, nothing as high as people make it out to be. I can find the spot, but a friend tells me it's all about moving the camera, that doesn't quite make any sense. Wish I knew what was the mechanics of all of this. If it's just a series of grids reading "you can step of this but not this" then I'd be satisfied, I've done L4D level editing and know how difficult it is to make path finding for AI.

#46 Edited by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

@mildmolasses: It was a minor MP patch only.

@crithon said:

I actually cannot seem to get the glitch working right. I get batman to float a bit off to the right of the pipe, nothing as high as people make it out to be. I can find the spot, but a friend tells me it's all about moving the camera, that doesn't quite make any sense. Wish I knew what was the mechanics of all of this. If it's just a series of grids reading "you can step of this but not this" then I'd be satisfied, I've done L4D level editing and know how difficult it is to make path finding for AI.

Well if you're on PC my advice would be to put geometry on normal (not on DX11), and physics also on normal (definitely instead of off). It's what a lot of people have reported and it's what worked for me.

The camera thing works because you are not just moving the camera, but walking with the Batman towards the camera while changing the angle, thus you are changing the exact direction of his movement, trying to "catch" it (the right angle of glitched geometry/physics interaction) as it were.

#47 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

@tennmuerti: FINALLY GOT IT.

yes the whole turning around the camera was so odd. I would just not touch the keyboard or mouse afraid I'd love it and batman would float like about up to the fence. Now he just went up right in the sky, I've been trying this glitch for over a day, was doing it for 4 hours straight.

#48 Posted by armaan8014 (5375 posts) -

Read as "Batman refuses to pull out". Dirty Batman.

LOL! He's still young though, still learning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.