Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Origins

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Oct 25, 2013

Two years after beginning his crime-fighting career, Batman faces his toughest challenge ever when the crime lord known as Black Mask hires the eight deadliest assassins in the DC Universe to kill the vigilante who has been interfering in his operations.

So what's your thoughts on Arkham Orgins multiplayer?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

Don't know what to think about it, but some people seem split. It looks like it might be decent.

Update: Since the game is out I changed the title, so feel free to say how you feel about the muliplayer. I've seen some gameplay vids, and outside of playing as Batman or Robin. The multiplayer just doesn't seem all that fun to play.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Kinda getting a spies vs mercs vibe from it. Still, this is pretty weird.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Weird. But unique weird. Seems like the kind of thing where you really have to play it to get it, so definitely interesting at least.

(except for the part where Troy Baker sounds like a bored Mark Hamill)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Great, just what everyone was clamoring for from a batman game. Is anyone actually excited for this? I can't help but think this entire game is just a quick cash-grab.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The multi-player would be so much better if everyone were Batman and it was just an endless stream of countering.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that the Nord from Skyrim?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I think I'm liking this a little more than that Splinter Cell one.

But sure, I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping for a nice CTF mode, Carry the Nuclear Waste back to your base or something. Kinda how AC's Artifact Assault does, but with more gadgets.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just see a bunch of people quitting matches if they didn't get Batman or Bane and instead got random Joker henchman.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks neat, I need more details.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something tells me that Batman&Robin will be overpowering.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@coafi said:

It looks neat, I need more details.

Yup, it's definitely gotten my interest piqued and it's actually gotten me more curious in the game as a whole. This will be a game I'll want to play eventually anyway, but this sort of multiplayer could incentivise me to get it sooner rather than later.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

lol

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 vs 3 vs 2? That seems kind of weird...

@krullban said:

Is that the Nord from Skyrim?

Yes, among many things, he is the Jarl of Whiterun.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems pretty interesting. The whole 3 v 3 v 2 is a cool idea.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It reminds me of the that MGS4 mode, where you've got two teams shooting at each other, but in the middle is a third faction where you've got someone playing as Snake and his little Metal Gear buddy, attempting to thwart both teams. It's a really cool concept, and of course you can't forget that the team of two are Batman and Robin. I'm sure to make up for their smaller team they'll have their own advantages.

In theory anywhoo... It could all be an unbalanced mess for all I know, I guess. It's still ambitious all the same, though, and I respect that they're trying to make a multiplayer mode out of the Arkham games foundation.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Interested in this.

Masterherox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic:

From what I gather, batman and robin have different win conditions than everybody else, so they'd probably balance it out that way

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully the new devs can pull it off, it has potential.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Nezza
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, is the multiplayer by the people who made Brink? It says Splash Damage right there on the trailer.

If so, good luck with that erry1.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebgav said:

Wait, is the multiplayer by the people who made Brink? It says Splash Damage right there on the trailer.

If so, good luck with that erry1.

Damn, I just noticed it. I heard a second dev team is making the multiplayer, I guess it's them.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @alexandersheen said:

It reminds me of the that MGS4 mode, where you've got two teams shooting at each other, but in the middle is a third faction where you've got someone playing as Snake and his little Metal Gear buddy, attempting to thwart both teams. It's a really cool concept, and of course you can't forget that the team of two are Batman and Robin. I'm sure to make up for their smaller team they'll have their own advantages.

In theory anywhoo... It could all be an unbalanced mess for all I know, I guess. It's still ambitious all the same, though, and I respect that they're trying to make a multiplayer mode out of the Arkham games foundation.

But that's the thing, because of their smaller number, some sort of advantage in abilities feels necessary. But at the same time, they also have more targets to kill. Maybe it's just one more dude but still.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool, it has an Imposters vibe but with B&R popping up to cause trouble.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone actually excited for this?

Yes? Me and clearly tons of others. If you're not interested in a game that's cool, but it doesn't mean it's a "cash-grab" that has no one excited. And there's nothing I've seen from the folks at WB Games Montreal that indicates they're not putting their all into making a great game in its own right.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

At least they're trying to do something interesting with it.

I think its great that some developers are trying to do new interesting things in the multiplayer portions of their games. Games like Last of Us, Assassin's Creed, and now this game aren't just shoe-horning in team deathmatch, they're genuinely trying to do something different with online multiplayer...not that it always works, but I appreciate the effort. Because, lets face it, online multiplayer isn't going anywhere.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Solh0und

Eh.....I rather just play Splinter Cell's Spies vs Mercs but I'm curious to how this will turn out long term wise.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Coafi

At least they're trying to do something interesting with it.

I think its great that some developers are trying to do new interesting things in the multiplayer portions of their games. Games like Last of Us, Assassin's Creed, and now this game aren't just shoe-horning in team deathmatch, they're genuinely trying to do something different with online multiplayer...not that it always works, but I appreciate the effort. Because, lets face it, online multiplayer isn't going anywhere.

I completely agree. I'm really curious about this mode, because lately we've had some surprisingly/unexpected good multiplayer games, with also a good singleplayer experience.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't know how well this will work. I mean, the Arkham games work because the AI thugs aren't smart enough to look up most of the time. People playing this are going to know to look up!

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I was a bit meh about the entire idea but there's potential to a game were part of the players in the match have completely different player verbs and their objective isn't 'shoot that guy' but be Batman and all that entails.

Could be interesting if pulled off right....but brink...

What was the issue with brink again? What was wrong with it?

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if nothing else, I really like Robin's design in this. It's a shame that from what I've heard he won't be in the main game at all, since it'd probably be Dick Grayson and he's pretty awesome. Who knows, maybe this'll really click with me like Fall of Cybertron's multiplayer did.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rebgav

@thephantomstranger said:

What was the issue with brink again? What was wrong with it?

Everything.

The artstyle was good, unfortunately the gunplay was poor. The mixed co-op/multiplayer with heavy emphasis on objectives and support play didn't really work well, the guns were very unsatisfying to shoot, they severely overplayed the "parkour" (just mantling, really) aspect of their gameplay and no-one really stuck around to play it.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fetchfox

This is interesting, but all I really care about is the single player. I really hope it lives up to its predecessors.

LarcenousLaugh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It looks like it could be interesting, so I am applying the same cautious optimism to this that I am to the rest of the game. I certainly never asked for multiplayer in my Batman game, and am a little disappointed that they chose to include it when the others did just fine without it.

What I find a bit more disheartening is their clear reuse of assets. The creative director dude said on Steam that this Robin is Dick Grayson (it had to be simply based on their own timeline), and not to get all crazy geek, but Dick was not a staff wielder. That is a pure Tim Drake thing, and something he was really known for. I know they had assets available for the stick, as they used it in the Robin DLC from Arkham City, but this kind of ignoring the comic just to get some use out of the assets is something I don't think Rocksteady would have done.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By csl316

I heard the word "multiplayer" and knew nothing about it til this morning. But after watching the Quick Look, my buddy picked it up based on the multiplayer alone.

Turns out it's actually pretty good. From my perspective, it's really interesting and neat. The shooting is solid enough, and the Batman/Robin dynamic turns everything on its head. You can't just look down a doorway because a Batman might show up behind you. Or a UAV can start firing missiles. Or Bane just runs straight at you. It's tense and keeps you on your toes. There's a good variety of effective playstyles and the balance is acceptable at the moment. We played around four hours and had no temptation to spend money on packs. At least early on, the unlocks come fast.

Like Mass Effect 3 mp, this has the potential to go from something I had zero interest in to one of the best surprises of the year. If they continue to support it I hope a decent community builds up.

One downside? I saw it played on a silky-smooth PC and I'll have to downgrade to a console version :(

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@csl316: It actually makes me somewhat tempted to buy it, though with ACIV coming out I'll have a much more popular excellent multiplayer to play. Hopefully whenever I do buy Arkham the multiplayer is still alive (denial). At any rate Bane's voice acting is amazing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: It actually makes me somewhat tempted to buy it, though with ACIV coming out I'll have a much more popular excellent multiplayer to play. Hopefully whenever I do buy Arkham the multiplayer is still alive (denial). At any rate Bane's voice acting is amazing.

That's the thing, I won't pick the game up for a couple weeks so I hope it keeps going. But you never know what'll catch on.

If anything, there's definitely potential.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

@csl316 said:

I heard the word "multiplayer" and knew nothing about it til this morning. But after watching the Quick Look, my buddy picked it up based on the multiplayer alone.

Turns out it's actually pretty good. From my perspective, it's really interesting and neat. The shooting is solid enough, and the Batman/Robin dynamic turns everything on its head. You can't just look down a doorway because a Batman might show up behind you. Or a UAV can start firing missiles. Or Bane just runs straight at you. It's tense and keeps you on your toes. There's a good variety of effective playstyles and the balance is acceptable at the moment. We played a good four hours and had no temptation to spend money on packs. At least early on, the unlocks come fast.

Like Mass Effect 3, this has the potential to go from something I had zero interest in to one of the best surprises of the year. If they continue to support it I hope a decent community builds up.

One downside? I saw it played on a silky-smooth PC and I'll have to downgrade to a console version :(

Agreed, it's extremely surprising and I feel like it gets downplayed a lot.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By noblenerf

It looks like a lot of fun, but the wait time between matches is a dealbreaker for me.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not too big of a fan of this.

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban: Thank you I was wondering where I heard that voice!

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

So I like the multiplayer but has anyone else playing on the 360 had trouble connecting to games? It seems like I always get sent into a lobby without other players, I back out and retry a few times and I can eventually get into a game.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

the multiplayer seems to be decent, although Batman and Robin just feel to be like griefers then actual real participants in the combat. The whole calling in for reinforcements just feels like someone has logged off from a small server. The in game store is ridiculous, the lack of Mass Effect 3 change to unlock a new character isn't worth really investing in it. For some reason because it's splash damage it reminds me too much of Brink or Enemy Territories. The Lack of Variety is a seriously downer, could use a bit more variety to have some legs.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By firecracker22

It reminds me alot of Metal Gear Online, when it was still up and running with MGS4. It's more fun than I was anticipating.

So far, the only bad thing I'm feeling towards the multiplayer is the fact that they've tied a handful of achievements/trophies into it. I'm hearing that even now it's a pain in the ass to get enough players to start a game. It'll be an even bigger pain in the ass to get the trophies/achievements for something nobody is playing in a few weeks or months.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firecracker22: It is exactly like MGO! It is a huge pain in the ass to get into a game currently, which is incredibly frustrating. Also I cannot stand tying in achievements with multiplayer. I have "S Ranked" (remember that!) both the previous Arkham games and this will most certainly prevent me from attempting to get them all.

When I am playing the multiplayer, I enjoy it. It is unique and when I am a thug, I do have that fear of Batman or Robin, sneaking on me, and find me looking around or running away when I hear the sounds of a cape.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've gotten into the habit of getting it on PS3, and then 360 when the GOTY Edition rolls out. Getting every trophy and achievement is the goal. But, yeah...is that even going to be possible in a year or so whenever they release the complete edition? I wish they had just gone the Uncharted route, and just tied some simple, basic, and easy to get trophies with multiplayer. I'd say leave other trophies/achievements for DLC....but I honestly don't see them releasing multiplayer DLC for this game. If it was even in consideration, the lack of numbers online must dissuade them from doing it.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe in 8 months the multiplayer may come seperate and be free to play? and still no extra play modes?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.