Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Origins

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Oct 25, 2013

Two years after beginning his crime-fighting career, Batman faces his toughest challenge ever when the crime lord known as Black Mask hires the eight deadliest assassins in the DC Universe to kill the vigilante who has been interfering in his operations.

WTF is with the verticality (lack thereof) in this game?!

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By hbkdx12

Seriously...wtf? There are so many buildings and environments that clearly look like they should be accessible (flat roof tops, unobstructed ledges, parts of the bridge, etc) that you just can't grapple on to.

It was something i immediately noticed once they let you free roam but it reached new levels of annoying when i was going around completing the anarchy sidequest. Trying to get one from side of the city to the other felt more frustrating then it needed to be when there's buildings/ledges that are higher than you that you just can't grappel by any means

Not only that but it also feels inconsistent. The smokestacks from the arkham city area of the game, are perfectly scaleable, as they were in AC, but there are buildings in other parts of the city just as high, if not shorter in some cases, that just can't be grappled.

I don't mind the idea that the game is just more of AC with not much innovation but fuck up the traversal in a open world environment, (where a lot of people derive a lot of their enjoyment from [how easy it is to get around]) especially when it's a superhero game and one that your predecessor executed perfectly well.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The camera doesnt help either.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

You picked the wrong game for verticality, bro. Trust in the Marc Knight.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hbkdx12

@galacticpunt: i'm surprised i never got around to playing this although i heard good things.

@laserguy:

yeah this is something i had problems with in AC as well. I have to hold X/A to glide but if i want to grapple to ledge thats higher than me and a bit off screen i have to position the camera with the right stick. Not fun

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He hasn't gotten good at climbing buildings yet. He develops that skill sometime between Origins and Asylum.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

You're right. It can feel really limited at times and getting from one end of the city can feel like a chore. I just want the camera to stop forcing me downwards. You can float for some pretty long stretches without the hook icon appearing. I don't remember having this much trouble getting around in City.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Same here. I was feeling like I should have been able to grapple to many more ledges than I was being able to. Glad to know I'm not the only one who felt that way.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vanick

I was thinking the same thing. I try and fast travel as much as I can but when you need to get around certain areas it can be a bit of a pain.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By crithon

yes, and traveling in general is poor, Swooped onto a building roof beside a bridge and feel through the world into nothing.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really disappointed that this game isn't as technically good as the last few games. If it was, I would pick it up in an instance. Maybe I'll get it in the bargain bin, because the story seems really cool

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad im not the only one who experienced this. I saw brad quickly highlight this in the quicklook but i didn't expect it to be as bad as it is

I almost feel like they implemented a fast travel system due to the gimped traversal. I don't particularly think the city is big enough to warrant multiple fast travel points to be honest. Not to mention if traversal is actually fun, people will naturally do it anyway. At most all they need is two fast travel points; one in each part of the city that the bridge separates. I remember people complaining about AC's horseshoe shaped world but i'm not a fan of having to cross this one bridge to get to different ends of the city especially when you can't grapple half the stuff on the damn bridge to help move you across it quickly

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's disappointing..the guys were complaining about traversal issues in the QL, but I was hoping those reports were exaggerated.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hbkdx12: How much bigger is it than Arkham City? Is the Arkham City map basically included in this one with more to it?

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By RawknRo11a

yea, saw this in the quicklook and pretty much had the same reaction as Jeff... Just doesn't make sense...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti

Gonna echo everyone else in this thread and say that yes there a lot of places on higher buildings that are devoid of grappling points, which makes it feel like the world has a height ceiling. Also the lack of upper grappling points is more prominent in the fully new area. You can still get around just fine, but it's annoying and makes traversal not quite as smooth as in City (which can be said for pretty much every aspect of this game)

@mercutio123 said:

@hbkdx12: How much bigger is it than Arkham City? Is the Arkham City map basically included in this one with more to it?

It's pretty much twice the size. The AC part of the city is included (slightly modified obv) it's literally half of the map across a big bridge, with the fully new stuff across it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Honestly, not surprised there are problems. I figured as much. I know one if the girls who worked on the QA team and while she never directly told me anything she definitely hinted at there being issues with it. I already know WHY they released this obviously its a quick buck but I wish they had either had this be its own separate Batman game or just wait for the real sequel to Arkham City.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: yeah its sad because there are some genuinely good things here but some stuff just seems like a step backwards and makes lil sense

My second point of contention after about a day of play is the upgrade trees. They're not thought out very well.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I get the feeling that that big ungrapple-able building in the middle of the north island(the one that says Gotham Power and Light) is there to hide the world loading. One of the first things i noticed was how you could grapple over it and had to fly around.

This really sucks when you could grapple just about anything in Arkham City.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By WightnNerdy

Yup, I'm having the same problem. I keep thinking I can grapple onto a building but can't, causing me to land and start my flight over again. It's really annoying.

That being said, I'm actually enjoying the game quite a bit.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not that horrible. The only really problem is the big building in the middle of the north island, but once you know about it it's easy to circumvent. It's pretty rare that you can't find anywhere to hook onto, it might just not be exactly where you want it to be.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@ares42 said:

It's not that horrible. The only really problem is the big building in the middle of the north island, but once you know about it it's easy to circumvent. It's pretty rare that you can't find anywhere to hook onto, it might just not be exactly where you want it to be.

My memory could be playing tricks, but the grappling seems a lot more limited than in Arkham City. There are very few gargoyles/vantage points, too. And since the map is basically Arkham's City with a fresh coat of paint, there's really no excuse to remove so many grappling points and/or make the existing ones much shorter.

And I swear that the grapple boost doesn't boost you as much either...

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ares42

@joeyravn: It's definitely more limited, but I've had no issue flying around town at all. The big difference is that you can't just glide-grapple all the time, but if you do a deliberate drop when necessary there's always something to hook to. Saying the map is City with fresh paint isn't exactly correct. They've kept a good deal of the landmark buildings (which seems to have the same grapple points) and the layout of the north island is similar to City, but most of it is actually new architecture. My biggest issue with it so far is that you end up getting thrown off course a bit now and then since the grappling isn't as straight forward. Thinking about it I think what makes it stick out is that in City most of the buildings were lower while you had a few tall ones here and there to grapple between, while in Origins the building height is much more similar.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Zurv

yeah.. F this game...

it is a boring Arkham city.. with less polish.. and just dumb stuff added (like the grapple stuff)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.