Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman

Character » appears in 94 games

After witnessing the cold-blooded murder of his parents, young Bruce Wayne swore to combat the evil that took their lives. Using his family's fortune, he travelled the world, training to physical and mental perfection. Once his training was complete, he returned to Gotham City as the Dark Knight, Batman.

Batman doesn't kill people?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

Don't know where I heard this but I thought Batman didn't kill people. This was reinforced after playing though Batman Arkham Asylum without him mortally wounding anyone. But I just finished watching the Michael Keaton Batman from 1989, and dude, he kills like a dozen people in that movie. He explodes a building filled with henchmen, he throws a guy off a tall belltower, and he even straight up shoots people with bullets. I don't know if that one isn't considered canon, or if he only recently began more of a pacifist, so I would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

To be honest, I'm not sure where that came from either. It's weird how you can fling a sharp batarang into a guy's face but not kill him.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Movies don't always follow source material. Scratch that, most of the time, they don't. I'm not much of a comic book guy though, so I couldn't tell you if he never killed people in the comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

The 1989 Batman film is basically completely defiant of the source material. Don't take anything away from that film as Batman fact.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Tim Burton fucked up the lore, that's why. Sure, Batman killed people, but only by accident or desperation.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Rayfield
    @Geno said:

"Don't know where I heard this but I thought Batman didn't kill people. This was reinforced after playing though Batman Arkham Asylum without him mortally wounding anyone. But I just finished watching the Michael Keaton Batman from 1989, and dude, he kills like a dozen people in that movie. He explodes a building filled with henchmen, he throws a guy off a tall belltower, and he even straight up shoots people with bullets. I don't know if that one isn't considered canon, or if he only recently began more of a pacifist, so I would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me.  "

Tim Burton couldn't have cared less about the 'Batman don't kill people' rule that existed in the comics for decades. While the early 40s comics had Batman smoking fools (he had a handgun at one point), it was generally considered 'Yo, if he kills dudes then he's just as bad as said dudes, just like the dude who killed his parents'. Burton didn't give a toss (I'm pretty sure Batman attached a freaking explosive device to a dude in Batman Returns) and Nolan was the only one who really explained why the rule was in place in Batman Begins. But yeah, as a general canon rule, Batman don't kill. He'll cave in your ribcage with his boot instead.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By CenturionCajun

It also completely depends on the representation of Batman. Being a comic book character he's had almost as many different depictions as there have been writers. Generally speaking however he attempts to not kill anyone. It's that fine line he walks to try and stay one of the "good guys."

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Any movie that gives Batman a straight out gun as a weapon isn't following the rules of Batman.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cstrang

Batman used to kill people, but that was when he was first around, in like the 1930s.  I'm pretty sure he used to carry a gun even.  But since I think the 1940s, he has only sparingly killed people.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By Willy105

Superman doesn't kill people.

I don't know about Batman, but killing people would be against what he stands for. He's a detective, not a brawler.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman killed people in the first several comics. I think he even killed people with guns a few times. It wasn't long before they adopted the "batman doesn't kill" guideline, though.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Maybe they mean batman doesn't shoot ppl.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By delta_ass
    @Willy105 said:
    " Superman doesn't kill people.  I don't know about Batman, but killing people would be against what he stands for. He's a detective, not a brawler. "
    Superman actually does kill people. He'll do his best to avoid it, but he has killed in the past. For example, the three Phantom Zone Kryptonian criminals.

Batman doesn't kill, ever.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Willy105
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " Superman doesn't kill people.  I don't know about Batman, but killing people would be against what he stands for. He's a detective, not a brawler. "
    Superman actually does kill people. He'll do his best to avoid it, but he has killed in the past. For example, the three Phantom Zone Kryptonian criminals.  Batman doesn't kill, ever. "
    Comic book have so many different canons and storylines and universes that things that are normal in one storyline could be absurd in another.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Delta_Ass said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    Superman actually does kill people. He'll do his best to avoid it, but he has killed in the past. For example, the three Phantom Zone Kryptonian criminals.  Batman doesn't kill, ever. "
    He'll kill. But only in desperate situations. He doesn't go into a fight saying 'I'm going to kill these dudes'. Or at least, I'd like to imagine such.

Otherwise, he's a really shitty killer.
    chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By chstupid

Batman dosen't kill in the comics or the newer comics at least
    ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By ApolloJ85

Batman may not kill, but he will knock you the hell out. And maybe put you in a wheelchair with a tube to eat through.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow

The Batman of Arkham Asylum is Alan Moore's Dark Knight and he definitely enjoys hurting people but does his not to kill them.  It's important to know that Alan Moore (and Dave Gibbons) totally changed the nature of DC comics (some would say comics in general) when they revitalised The Swamp Thing as a gentle, misunderstood silent hero.  From there they got the nod to take Batman from the action schlock it had been prior to a more deeper, darker journey into Bruce Wayne's psyche and how his issues were dealt with in constant combat with really utterly fucked up people like The Joker (who is literally psychotic in The Dark Knight and Arkham Asylum comics) and Two Face (who is just mean and really dangerously angry).  Tim Burton '89 Batman is a result of too many drugs.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PureRok

This Batman obviously kills people:

No Caption Provided
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Andorski

Kevin Smith once revealed in a discussion panel that Tim Burton never read a single comic before filming the two Batman movies.

SHADOWINFINITE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SHADOWINFINITE
    @PureRok:  
    First off that is Jason Todd. 
    2nd to clear things up that batman was created for earth 2. Earth 2 is the "Batman who Killed with a gun" that is what the movie was made from. PureRok's picture is Jason todd, A robin that was beaten to death by a crowbar and then blown up inside a building, he has come back to life many times.   
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the idiosyncratically of Batman is his utter refusal to kill someone unless there is no other option.
    The guy has a portfolio on every metabeing in the DC universe with a section specifically about how to incapacitate/kill said person if push comes to shove.
    One of my fave examples of this is in The Dark Knight returns when the re imergence of the true Joker forces them to fight and Batman breaks his neck. He could've given it a little more pressure and kill him off, but he backs down realizing that's who he never was and that's what he never wants to be.
    Of course, Joker uses whatever last gasp of strength he had to turn himself enough to kill himself. Thereby implicating Batman as a murderer.
    Of course Frank Miller shat all over that in the Dark Knights Strikes Again (I fucking hate that comic)

A lot of people aren't all too aware of the Punisher, the most notoriously unreppentant mass murdering "hero", would immediatly turn himself in if an innocent was caught in the line of fire (Which doesn't happed  seeing that our boy Frank plans his shit out well) Also, locking Punisher up in a prison full of scum is never the best idea. Casualties abound.

Not to say Batman isn't a sadistic psycho. One of my fave exchanges (Sorry to go back to DKR) is when he kicks some thug in the pelvic none or something and the cop screams out "You've crippled the man!" which he just responds with "He's young. He'll walk again. But you'll stay scared, won't you punk!?"
    But yeah, the infamous "Bat-gun" hasn't been seen since the serials of the 30's or whatever.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BombKareshi

No, Batman doesn't kill people. At least the version of Batman I've been shown and learned to like doesn't.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By imsh_pl

I'm pretty sure he neither kills people nor uses guns.

Also nice necropost.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BombKareshi
    @imsh_pl: I swear this thing was bumped!
    nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nohthink

I thought it was a given that Batman(or Justice League in general) doesn't kill...

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ninjakiller

GLHB

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ravenlight

Batman doesn't kill people; Russian Martian Batman kills people.

http://www.batmanbatmanbatman.com/

Also: WTF is with all the thread necromancers up in this bitch lately? Or are the dead rising of their own accord?

TBird13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TBird13

I'm pretty sure Batman killed Darkseid with a gun, but in general, no he doesn't.

Otherwise, you'd have to write a whole bunch of new villains.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DonPixel

@Gamer_152 said:

Any movie that gives Batman a straight out gun as a weapon isn't following the rules of Batman.

this

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

"Canon" Batman doesn't kill people cus ninja code or some bullshit. Keaton's the best Batman cus he does kill, and it feels right for that character to kill. The best Batman adaptations come from people who don't give a shit about comics largely* written by people not talented enough to make it anywhere else. And Im sure Nolan "read" the Mark Millar stuff, and by reading I mean he looked at the covers and then did his own thing (which was later copied in some awful comics, completing the circle).

*Note I didn't say all. Niel Gaiman and a handful of others have talent. And that's fine. But they're not writing most comics.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By niamahai
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NTM

Actually, it's not Batman who doesn't kill anyone, it's Superman. In the early comics, both Superman and Batman killed, but Batman was much more violent. Batman doesn't kill unless he really feels the need to, but as for the reason, I don't know, or at least I don't remember.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Batman kills and he started out with a gun.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By awe_stuck

Its in the videogame because they want to sell it to younger audiences - not killing. However, this was introduced in the cartoons about 15 or so years ago (maybe 20). The idea Batman was above killing. They essentially perfected this idea in The Dark Knight. However, in reality Batman would kill people in real life or die. He is not invincible nor perfect, hes just smarter and richer then most people (ie villians, citizens).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.