Warner Bros. Prepping Downloadable, First-Person, Multiplayer...Batman Game? [UPDATED]

• 131 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3069 posts) -
Impostors. Not Imposters. Apparently.

UPDATE: The official press release is out, bringing us fresh details--and the game's logo.

Gotham City Impostors pits an army of fake Batmans against an arm of fake Jokers (a clever narrative way of getting around Batman's inability to wield a gun) with a detailed customization system. The release claims players will have access to "insane costumes, homebrewed gadgets and a wide range of traditional and imagined weapons."

At the event in Los Angeles, Warner Bros. allowed judges (in this case, our very own Mr. Gerstmann) to play a map called Amusement MIle.

--

You read that right.

Kicking off a series of pre-E3 events down in Los Angeles, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced Gotham City Impostors, a downloadable, first-person, competitive multiplayer Batman game. That's a mouthful.

Gotham City Impostors is in development at F.E.A.R. creator Monolith, targeted for Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network and PC this year.

That's about all we know about the game right now, though. Stay tuned for more details!

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3069 posts) -
Impostors. Not Imposters. Apparently.

UPDATE: The official press release is out, bringing us fresh details--and the game's logo.

Gotham City Impostors pits an army of fake Batmans against an arm of fake Jokers (a clever narrative way of getting around Batman's inability to wield a gun) with a detailed customization system. The release claims players will have access to "insane costumes, homebrewed gadgets and a wide range of traditional and imagined weapons."

At the event in Los Angeles, Warner Bros. allowed judges (in this case, our very own Mr. Gerstmann) to play a map called Amusement MIle.

--

You read that right.

Kicking off a series of pre-E3 events down in Los Angeles, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced Gotham City Impostors, a downloadable, first-person, competitive multiplayer Batman game. That's a mouthful.

Gotham City Impostors is in development at F.E.A.R. creator Monolith, targeted for Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network and PC this year.

That's about all we know about the game right now, though. Stay tuned for more details!

Staff
#2 Posted by Inzzy (106 posts) -

ohhhhh nice

#3 Posted by Crono11 (1626 posts) -

I can get down with this

#4 Posted by cximran (52 posts) -

Wait...what?! 

#5 Posted by armaan8014 (5254 posts) -

Iv been batmanned

#6 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

I don't even.....What?

#7 Posted by Luck3ySe7en (240 posts) -

Bat-shit crazy.

#8 Posted by Yummylee (20581 posts) -

Gonna be a lot of bat-bagging in the near future.

#9 Posted by Sanj (2235 posts) -

Ah...wha?

#10 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -
THIS IS NOT THE NO ONE LIVES FOREVER I WAS PROMISED! >:|!!!
#11 Posted by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

I'M BATMAN!

#12 Posted by Delta_Ass (3230 posts) -

Good, it's been a while since we've seen LithTech.

#13 Posted by Pie (6936 posts) -

Dude! Spy vs mercs from Splinter cell but Batman vs Mercs

#14 Posted by Tesla (1852 posts) -

Because Batman and guns go together like....wait, what?

#15 Posted by SSully (4060 posts) -
@Pie said:
Dude! Spy vs mercs from Splinter cell but Batman vs Mercs
This better be exactly what this game is about or else I will be really pissed. 
#16 Posted by ate_bit_zombie (5 posts) -

Good luck, have batman. 

#17 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Multiplayer Batman.

I know it's not going to play out like it sounds, but that sounds awesome.

#18 Posted by HisHeroIsGone (42 posts) -

They didn't give away the F.E.A.R. series to just do this downloadable game, right? Right?

#19 Posted by Undeadpool (4868 posts) -

I get the feeling you're going to be playing as something similar to those "fake" Batmen from The Dark Knight.

#20 Posted by raidingkvatch (1148 posts) -

UH, whu? That's... Interesting? I'm going with interesting, and cautiously optimistic for now (after all Batman is awesome, and F.E.A.R. ain't half bad)

#21 Posted by modeps (96 posts) -

Should have been called Batman Batman Batman.

#22 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Could be interesting, on another note, that's my picture again! :P
#23 Posted by Foggen (802 posts) -

This reminds me of Dark Knight Returns, where the Mutant gang splinters into other random themed groups.  Let's hope one side is the Sons of Batman.

#24 Posted by louiedog (2331 posts) -

Can we start petitioning for a "Batman Batman Batman" achievement for winning a round with three Batman imposters on one team?

#25 Posted by Robopengy (416 posts) -
@Tesla: GUNS KILLED MY PAAAAAAARENTS!
#26 Posted by ZeroCrescent (56 posts) -

Wat.

#27 Posted by johnLongview (132 posts) -

I mean, when they realized that batmanbatmanbatman.com was taken, there was really only one thing they could do...

#28 Posted by Mystyr_E (1172 posts) -

That game deserves a better class of criminal, and I'm gonna give it to em

#29 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1400 posts) -
@johnLongview said:
I mean, when they realized that batmanbatmanbatman.com was taken, there was really only one thing they could do...
lol
#30 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

What is this even going to be? Batman don't use guns, why would I want to as some random thug?
#31 Posted by Cirdain (2957 posts) -

Pre-E3 banter

#32 Posted by HT101 (1150 posts) -

Are we now going to get the real world version of Batman Batman Batman?  I certainly hope so.

#33 Posted by EuanDewar (4513 posts) -

Everybody is batman. EVERYBODY IS BATMAN.

#34 Posted by TurboMan (6943 posts) -

.... what?

#35 Posted by Beb (222 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan said:

What is this even going to be? Batman don't use guns, why would I want to as some random thug?

I assume all players play as Batman at the same time, in an effort to decide the "real" Batman. Thus, the title.
#36 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

I think it's funny there is a game about Batman Imposters while Batman Inc is happening.

#37 Posted by zitosilva (1837 posts) -

I'm having such a hard time imagining this that it got me intrigued.

#38 Posted by HBK619 (155 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
I'M BATMAN!
Oh yeah, well I'm B4TM4N!
#39 Posted by MEATBALL (2786 posts) -

Glad they're doing this to get a multiplayer Batman game out there rather than forcing Rocksteady to shoehorn it into Arkham City.

#40 Posted by HonoredSamurai (106 posts) -

If you add Batman, everything gets better

#41 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

BATMAN BATMAN BATMAN

#42 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2238 posts) -

What.

1. This isn't what I wanted to see from Monolith.
  2. This isn't what I wanted to see from the Batman license.
  3. I don't think I want a downloadable multiplayer FPS in general.
  4. I don't even think I want a new multiplayer FPS, period.
They'll have to sell me pretty hard on this.
#43 Posted by Pop (2530 posts) -

batman vs batman vs batman?

#44 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:

I get the feeling you're going to be playing as something similar to those "fake" Batmen from The Dark Knight.

That's the first thing I thought of as well.
#45 Posted by Cybexx (1100 posts) -

I am kind of bummed Monolith wasn't working on NOLF3 (as far as we know, but probably not). First-person and Multiplayer paired with Batman does not exactly fill me with confidence, guess I am kind of happy they didn't try cramming this into Arkham City.

I like Monolith, but the multiplayer side of their games has never been their strong suit, maybe if it is the primary focus we could see something cool. The success of Arkham Asylum doesn't give any other licensed Batman game a pass so this has a lot to prove.
#46 Posted by liquidmatt (229 posts) -

CODMW3: BATMAN EDITION

#47 Posted by LiquidPrince (15607 posts) -

But... Batman no use the of the guns of the.... What?

#48 Posted by Mr_Faraday (241 posts) -
@528seven
Its a first-person competitive multiplayer batman game, no where in there do i see the word "shooter". Just because somethings in first person doesnt make it a FPS, im sure this will use some kind of interesting mechanic that makes it stand out from the usual first-person games.
#49 Posted by Pudge (814 posts) -

If there is not an alt colored Red and Green Batman in this game. I am gonna try.

#50 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

First person Batman?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.