Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battalion Wars 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 29, 2007

Battalion Wars 2 is a pseudo-RTS game developed for the Nintendo Wii in which players assume control over various land, sea, and air-based units.

Is it just me or is this game waaaaaay underrated?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

I mean, it's a really polished large scale war game with excellent detailed stylised visuals and presentation, many units on screen, great explosions, many different land, sea and air vehicles, you can command or take direct control of any unit in the game with mostly intuitive controls, and it's got a compelling single player story mode and more than fuctional online versus and cooperative playability. Why is it as if it doesn't exist? I'm loving it right now. I think it's as much of a showcase for the Wii as the likes of Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii and Metroid Prime 3. I hope a sequel or spirticual successor will be made at some point. Random videos, this guy's recorded some great stuff (use the HQ mode of course), yet for some reason it's really hard to find good quality videos on websites such as GT and similar places...

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By zitosilva

I don't know. Thought I agree all these qualities you mentioned are indeed in the game, I just could never find it very fun. I bought but never made it to end. I don't know, it seems a little too chaotic at times, I couldn't get into the characters, art style or the story.
    It may not be terrible, but I just can't see a lot of things that would make it stand out. I think the attention it got was somewhat what it deserved.

Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Skillface

I really enjoyed the Battalion Wars games.

The second really refined some of the issues with the first game, but overall I had a great time playing them.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

People weren't really into the GameCube game either, were they?
    I just remembered that I actually own the GameCube game...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, even for those who didn't like its style so much, it should be memorable for all the things it does so well. The engine is really great and on par with stuff you'd expect Factor 5 to come up with imo. Large yet detailed maps, great vehicle behaviour, lots of things happening, great effects, all the good stuff. People still act like the Wii can barely do Half-Life level stuff when it comes to such action titles when this low profile game alone proves it could easily get its very own and very competent Battlefield or Gears style game, if anyone actually gave it a shot (and no, they don't have to be all mature to have those themes and gameplay, as this game proves). Heck, this game's pretty much that already, but with the focus on arcade style commanding rather than shooting stuff up with only a single troop. Which is probably why most people don't like it too much, they'd prefer a straightforward shooter with awesome vehicles and tons of action. I'd hit that too, but I think the game's great as it is too.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bjorno

Nobody played it because it was on the Wii.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By keyhunter

It's not under rated because it's not very good.

Reetesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Reetesh

I always wanted to play the first game... didnt have a GC. Also.. didnt some Battlefield game take the idea of this game after a few years? (The idea of changing control to any other character at any give point)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew
    bjorno said:
    Plenty of people have Wiis. That is not a reason for not playing a game.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I quite enjoyed what I played of Battalion Wars 2, but there was nothing in it that kept me coming back for more. It seemed solid, but for some reason I just didn't get into it.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gizmo

Reminds me of Battlefield Heroes, but worse.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

I've never played any of the series but it seemed unappealing to me.  Besides the graphics and battlefield elements like being able to control tanks and go on foot and aircraft and such, what's good about it?  The hard point in arguing in favor of good graphics, explosions, framerate, and large battlefields for a Wii game is that other platforms do it better.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played it, while not for very long what I played was very enjoyable. 

bjorno said:
    What an intelligent comment...
    -_-
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ

What they needed to do was add an online multiplayer for BW. awesome fun?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

It does have online multi player AJ. Co-op and vs. But I guess as I said the problem is people expected a FPS type game like Battlefield, when this is geared more to commanding units around. So, the multi player is commander + commander vs ai or commander vs commander. You don't have 32 or more people running about, though the numbers of units on screen are quite a few, but they're AI (so, actually heavier on the CPU than players would be). But yes, the engine is great and should be used for a shooter style game too.

And Diamond, visually, anything the Wii can do can be done better on other systems. If you have a corridor shooter with better graphics than BWii on the Wii thanks to the limited environments, you can also have a corridor shooter on the 360 that looks better than Bad Company 2 instead. So, no Wii games of any kind should be made? Lol. That is not the type of comment I was responding to when I said it does things people say the Wii couldn't do (as opposed to "shouldn't do" heh).

This looks and plays good and without worse production values than something like Battlefield Heroes which is also intended for a casual audience, yet tons of people here enjoy or wish they were in its beta. But yeah, it's a shooter as opposed to a strategy (even if light hearted) title with shooter elements, so instantly it's more appealing. Yet, shooters are plenty, but this game has a unique feel no other title on any system offers imo. At least from what I've seen. Just saying.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I really thought they were cool games and if I had a Wii that would be a game that I would pick up. I enjoyed the first one.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mikemcn

ya im reviving an old post, deal with it.  

But i had so much fun playing it! it was pretty impressive technically for the wii, and the vehicles were all very fun to use. The story mode had a moronic plot though. i still don't know if the asian nation emperor lady is australian, chinese, or british.

MKnightDH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MKnightDH

Oh hey, the TC URLed my older videos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.