The best free MMORPG you have never heard of.

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

So with Giantbomb starting to play Runes of Magic it has come to my attention that no one knows about Battle of the Immortals which disappoints me. So here is some information about the game. ^__^.

Battle of the Immortals was developed by Perfect World Entertainment who developed which game? Torchlight. One of the missing features of the game was it was not an online game, well here it is and by the same developer.  

This is the first MMORPG I have ever really been stuck on and yes that includes World of Warcraft. For one thing it doesn't take you hours for the game to start becoming fun, if you rush you would be able to get to level 20 in 2 hours. How is that a good thing? well for one thing it doesn't bore you for hours and hours waiting for the game to become fun and don't worry after level 30 it becomes much much harder to level up. 

Another thing is the gear. The gear in this game is outstanding and looks great, at level 1 my character looked way better than what my level 25 did in World of Warcraft. While of course it is not a necessary thing to look cool but I for one think it is important at least ^__^ 

The game also has a lot of things to do. Instances, Events, Interesting Quests, Forging Mounts, etc. It is easily the most in depth free MMO I have played, and I have played a lot. 

The pets in the game is another great feature. No longer do you have to be a certain class to get pets but every class will get them. There are surprisingly many things to do with pets, meld them, fortify them, train them etc. It is great and a ton of pets are catchable. 

The gameplay, the most important part in fantastic. I hate grinding a lot, and even though this game has some of it (less than other games) it was actually fun. The gameplay is fast and slick and has a lot of varied moves to help you along your quests. The games quests were also very varied and weren't boring like other free games. 

The game is not perfect of course but it is pretty damn good, the only thing I dislike it micro-transaction but even them you can trade in-game money for ZEN (which you buy with real money)

In short, it is the best free MMORPG I have ever played and I have enjoyed it much than World of Warcraft. I have hit level 51 and have no plans on stopping soon. 

Battle of the Immortals can be downloaded here, hopefully you will be playing soon ^__^

#2 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Has anyone checked it out?

#3 Edited by Bucketdeth (8040 posts) -

I have never heard of it but I am always checking out free mmo's no matter how shitty or unknown they are and I will check this one soon.

I used to play Rubies of Eventide which is probably one of the best mmo's I have played but now a days with the younger generation getting into mmo's would say the graphics are shit and the gameplay sucks but it is very deep and has over 100 classes.

***Damn, apparently the game and site are now down, this is sad news, it's one of the games that had gotten me into mmo's : (***

#4 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@Bucketdeth: Over 100 classes? O__O
#5 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" Has anyone checked it out? "
No I stay away from MMO's. Even free ones.
#6 Posted by Bucketdeth (8040 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @Bucketdeth: Over 100 classes? O__O "
Yeah it was pretty crazy.

I just watched a video on Battle of the Immortals, I'm loving the top down view, looks like a cool game.
#7 Posted by hai2u (322 posts) -

free mmorpgs are the worst.

#8 Posted by Bucketdeth (8040 posts) -
@hai2u said:
" free mmorpgs are the worst. "
A lot are shit but you can find some good ones, DDO is awesome and Lord of the Rings Online will be awesome.
#9 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

Battle of the Immortals looks cool, but Runic Games developed torchlight, Perfect World Entertainment only published the game.

#10 Posted by rhodric (281 posts) -

hmm has anyone tried allods yet? anyone care to compare the two?

#11 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@rhodric said:
" hmm has anyone tried allods yet? anyone care to compare the two? "
I have heard that it is a good game, but I have not tried it yet. 

Still, Battle of the Immortals only came out a month or two ago so the community is pretty good.
#12 Posted by rhodric (281 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: just checked out their site. to be honest, it looks more like perfect world than torchlight, and that's not a good thing. perfect world games are unnecessarily complex and extremely tedious. i hope that's not the case with BOI.
#13 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@rhodric said:
" @NekuSakuraba: just checked out their site. to be honest, it looks more like perfect world than torchlight, and that's not a good thing. perfect world games are unnecessarily complex and extremely tedious. i hope that's not the case with BOI. "
I have not found anything like that yet, if anything the game does a fantastic job of making you understand stuff and making them simple. 

There is even a quest which takes you around too different NPCs and introducing what they do and helping you out. 
#14 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Has anyone got it yet?

#15 Edited by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Got into the beta. 
Boring. 
Looks decent. 
Decent Classes. 
Good pet system 
Interesting art style. 
GRINDGRINDGRIND   
And more grind.The gameplay does not compare to the overall package,could have been much better. 

#16 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: I'm downloading it now. I played Perfect World on and off for about a year and I loved that game. Definitely the best mmo or one of the best I've ever played. One question though. With top-down games, you can't look at the sky. This always leaves me feeling like I'm in a closed-in world. Do you get that feeling with this game?
#17 Edited by gike987 (1769 posts) -
@FirePrince said:
"

Got into the beta. 
Boring. 
Looks decent. 
Decent Classes. 
Good pet system 
Interesting art style. 
GRINDGRINDGRIND   
And more grind.The gameplay does not compare to the overall package,could have been much better. 

"
Sounds like all the other Perfect world entertainment games. Good graphics, good class system but a boring gameplay.
#18 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -
@gike987:
Exactly.
#19 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:
" @NekuSakuraba: I'm downloading it now. I played Perfect World on and off for about a year and I loved that game. Definitely the best mmo or one of the best I've ever played. One question though. With top-down games, you can't look at the sky. This always leaves me feeling like I'm in a closed-in world. Do you get that feeling with this game? "
I never really got that feeling, the world seems big to me.
#20 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@FirePrince said:
"

Got into the beta. 
Boring. 
Looks decent. 
Decent Classes. 
Good pet system 
Interesting art style. 
GRINDGRINDGRIND   

"
I have to disagree, I found the gameplay really fast and fun. 
#21 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba:
The game is not really for me,and I can see why you like it.It's like Diablo.
#22 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Sorry to bump, but I would love to see what you guys thought of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.