Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BattleBlock Theater

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 03, 2013

Players are shipwrecked on a mysterious island and then forced to partake in deadly "performances" for the entertainment of a crowd of cats.

Finally out! Has anybody tried it?

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

#1  Edited By lumley

Reviews and gameplay videos seem to be very scarce. I've seen a 5/5 and a 9/10 with one saying..

"It’s truly rare for a developer to make games as funny as they are fun, but The Behemoth have done it once again" http://www.trueachievements.com/n12828/ta-review-battleblock-theater.htm

and the other that it's a..

"A hallmark of excellence" http://www.destructoid.com/review-battleblock-theater-250556.phtml

I'm looking for a good local co-op game and I was a big fan of Castle Crashers so I'm certainly considering picking this up. Has anybody given this a try yet?

Edit: Just spotted the gamesradar review: http://www.gamesradar.com/battleblock-theater-review/?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=emp (4.5/5)

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mwng

Played about 3 hours solo so far. It's pretty fun.

I wasn't sure what to expect either, maybe something along the lines of meatboy with puzzles, but less demanding and no real penalty for death (unless you're on the timed levels).

The announcer hasn't started to grate on me yet, and the soundtrack and art style are pretty appealing. I've been consistently A+ing levels up to chapter 3, so I'm not sure how hard it gets. I can see it being a pretty fun couch coop game though, the football mode was a giggle over live, I've not tried the other modes yet.

Edit: also, for die hard platformers, levels seem a little random which might be a bit of a put off, like timings on stuff don't seem to always be the same when restarting a level (which isn't instant (6-8 seconds), which is another minor complaint) (it feels like it anyway, probably best to wait for someone else to confirm). The enemies that follow you around can make trying to perform the platforming aspect of the game a little bit of a pain too, as their behavior can be erratic sometimes.

Happy to attempt to answer any other specific questions. Weird that it doesn't have a demo.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm very interested, though I thought there would be a quick look today for sure.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By lumley

I've seen nothing but positive things about it so I reckon I'll get it today. Strangely there isn't a trial version to download.. how odd.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shookems

@seancoughing: I imagine they'll probably play it on the new release show later today.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I want to play it but I can't.

Mentlegen26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mentlegen26

Wanted to try a demo first but couldn't find one. This have couch co-op?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I've been waiting for this game for years, but now that's it's finally here I can't get motivated to play it.

None of my friends play on the 360 anymore, is the single player worth the purchase or should I just wait five years for the PC release.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://playxbla.com/playxbla-live-stream-for-wednesday-april-3-featuring-battleblock-theater/

Live stream going on for the next 30 mins, just doing the start of the single player.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By rjpelonia

I participated in the beta and I had a ton of fun with it. Didn't purchase my copy yet, but I definitely will.

Watching the New Releases show and the Quick Look, I agree with Jeff in that the "combat" is pretty lackluster, but having better weapons other than the exploding disc fixes that a little bit. The platforming though is where the game shines. Luckily they have just the right amount of modes if you ever feel tired of a certain one, but yeah, not every mode will be a hit with some people. Different strokes for different folks and all.

I really hope they play this for TNT.

@mentlegen26: Couch co-op is in the game. Two players for the Story mode and four players split into two teams for Arena.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Me and my brother played the trial together and I really liked what I played. Will probably buy it after I beat Bioshock Infinite.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By RawknRo11a

Yea, Played a few hours of it. Love everything about the way this game looks and sounds. The actual gameplay is nothing new. Plus the timing on the attacks and jumps feels a little weird. But if you like the Behemoth's artstyle and some awesome narration and groovy tunes this game has em'

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.