Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 1943

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 08, 2009

Return to the Pacific Theater in this simpler, downloadable, console-exclusive sequel to the massive World War II first-person shooter Battlefield 1942. It was later shut down on December 2023.

First Impressions : Battlefield 1943

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By birchman

After a rather shaky start for Battlefield 1943, I have finally begun getting into games (and not getting disconnected from them mid-battle) and I must say I enjoy it – a lot.  However, the game still suffers problems with connection, and the problems seem far from resolved.

The game is your regular Battlefield game, reminding a lot of of Bad Company, as it has the same destroyable buildings and other stuff to blow up. You have the ranks (not certain of how many there are) to level up, but they do not give you any other rewards then the thrill of leveling up. You also have your various other rewards such as ”Capture thirty flags” and ”Get twenty melee kills”.

The game has three classes, the rifleman (equipped with a regular rifle and also some sort of grenade appendix for said rifle), the Infantry (sub-machine gun and a rocket launcher) and of course the sniper guy, equipped with his trusty sniper rifle (and a kickass sword if you’re playing the Imperial Navy). You also have a selection of light ground vehicles, tanks and planes. You also get the occasional bombing raid, which you call in from certain stations placed on the map.

There’s currently three maps to play, all in the pacific part of WW2, which means that battles are fought between the US and Japan. A fourth map will be unlocked for play once the community together has reached a total of 43 million kills.

As a first impression, there really isn’t that much more to say. If you love Battlefield, then chances are you will love this cheap lil’ game.  Expect a review in the coming days, when I can actually get the game flowing again, as it seems to be quite stuck at ”Searching for games” at the moment.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By birchman

After a rather shaky start for Battlefield 1943, I have finally begun getting into games (and not getting disconnected from them mid-battle) and I must say I enjoy it – a lot.  However, the game still suffers problems with connection, and the problems seem far from resolved.

The game is your regular Battlefield game, reminding a lot of of Bad Company, as it has the same destroyable buildings and other stuff to blow up. You have the ranks (not certain of how many there are) to level up, but they do not give you any other rewards then the thrill of leveling up. You also have your various other rewards such as ”Capture thirty flags” and ”Get twenty melee kills”.

The game has three classes, the rifleman (equipped with a regular rifle and also some sort of grenade appendix for said rifle), the Infantry (sub-machine gun and a rocket launcher) and of course the sniper guy, equipped with his trusty sniper rifle (and a kickass sword if you’re playing the Imperial Navy). You also have a selection of light ground vehicles, tanks and planes. You also get the occasional bombing raid, which you call in from certain stations placed on the map.

There’s currently three maps to play, all in the pacific part of WW2, which means that battles are fought between the US and Japan. A fourth map will be unlocked for play once the community together has reached a total of 43 million kills.

As a first impression, there really isn’t that much more to say. If you love Battlefield, then chances are you will love this cheap lil’ game.  Expect a review in the coming days, when I can actually get the game flowing again, as it seems to be quite stuck at ”Searching for games” at the moment.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

cool, I'm looking forward to playing it.  Is it true that you can steer the bombing raid to where you want to bomb?

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By nick69
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " cool, I'm looking forward to playing it.  Is it true that you can steer the bombing raid to where you want to bomb? "
    yeah you can
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @nick69 said:
    "@DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " cool, I'm looking forward to playing it.  Is it true that you can steer the bombing raid to where you want to bomb? "
    yeah you can"

Yep, it just takes some practice to get the hang of it because the bombers have a really wide turning radius, and you kinda have to release the bombs a little passed when your target pops up in the cross-hairs.
    ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By ElectricHaggis

If I had a gold account I may have considered buying it.  It did look pretty fun in the quick look.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive

im downloading it now on PSN

cant wait to play!

PUNISHER NO MERCY FUCKING SUCKS PINK SOCK
    Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Downloaded it yesterday, still haven't got into a game (UK). Woo.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By birchman
    @Oriental_Jams:  Hehe, I know the feeling. Hopefully it will be resolved very soon because the game itself is great. :)
    I_am_Lono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By I_am_Lono
    @Oriental_Jams said:
    "Downloaded it yesterday, still haven't got into a game (UK). Woo."

Snap
    Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Brundage

You gave absolutely no impressions what so ever other then "I must say I enjoy it" this thread is fail.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By birchman
    @Brundage:  Okay! But it is not a thread, it is in fact a blog post!
    Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    @Brundage: Then why bother posting? Sheesh. 

I bought it today but haven't been able to get into a game... I'm looking forward to playing it though. :p
    Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brundage
    @_Horde: toshay
    birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By birchman
    @Brundage: However, I suppose that you are right. It was more facts then opinion. I'll have to think of that til' next time. ^^
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive

Okay my first impression is

water-downed Warhawk

Seriously, everything from the scale, the shooting controls, the vehicle controls (including flight) etc are just way better in Warhawk and that game is kinda old now. Not to mention Warhawk has wayyy better looking maps and wayyy more features. 
    angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By angelkanarias

I've been having some minor lag, but the dudes at DICE said they were on it. Apparently it has something to do with ''package loss''. For the game itself, it is a great multiplayer experience and its price point is pretty satisfying.

Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Teirdome

I may be the only one, but playing BF:1943 just made me want to play BF:Bad Company more.  I feel like the weapons, tanks, and even level designs are better in BC.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Branthog

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By minotaka

Is this worth getting?? i whored the crap outa bf2 and then 2142... which i enjoyed even thought it was pure PEW PEW PEW.. kinda wanna go back to the old school wake island!

still got the theme in my head... DO dodododod DODODOododO DOOOO DODOO DODODODo o DODOO   XD

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Death_Unicorn

My one month without xbox live makes me cry.=""""""(

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By super_machine

I'm glad it came out on PSN a day later. You xbox guys got to beta test it for the rest of us. It was smooth as silk on PSN.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By azteris
    @Brundage: Using 'fail' as an adjective in 2009 is embarassing. Get with the times.
    birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By birchman
    @Teirdome: Actually, same here. Not that I am displeased with this game, but I really look foward to BC2 and remember the awesome multiplayer from the first.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By turbomonkey138

Amazing game

true3man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By true3man

The 2 games I actually got into were great. I've been put right off ever buying an online game at release again now though.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By teh_destroyer

I played it for about an hour last night and had fun, will go back for more.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brundage
    @Azteris said:
    " @Brundage: Using 'fail' as an adjective in 2009 is embarassing. Get with the times. "
    fail.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.