Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 1943

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 08, 2009

Return to the Pacific Theater in this simpler, downloadable, console-exclusive sequel to the massive World War II first-person shooter Battlefield 1942. It was later shut down on December 2023.

My Game of the Year, 2009: Battlefield 1943

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 5

Edited By sup909

Ok, I totally know I am late on this one, but I actually had to really put some thought into what my game of the year for 2009 was. To be totally honest I did not play all of the releases from last year so Arkum Asylum and Assassin's Creed didn't get some play.  After getting over the initial hump of Modern Warfare  2's hype machine, the post holiday retrospective I have begun to realize that I don't enjoy MW2 all that much. Sure it is polished and well done, but I just don't find myself having fun. Mainly because of the frantic nature of the games.  

Battlefield 1943 comes out on top in my book for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it was my first experience in the BF series and it totally captured me in size of the maps. It is the size of these maps that really make for such an interesting new game dynamic. When the maps are as large as they are in that game the pacing of the entire game slows down a lot.  People aren't grenade and rocket spamming nearly as much as in other FPS's I have played this year and the maps themselves have almost no choke points on them that snipers can pin down.  

It is perhaps the one FPS game that I have played where I really don't get frustrated during the game. If there ever was a casual FPS BF1943 maybe it since all levels of players can easily get into it, have a good time and enjoy themselves. 

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sup909

Ok, I totally know I am late on this one, but I actually had to really put some thought into what my game of the year for 2009 was. To be totally honest I did not play all of the releases from last year so Arkum Asylum and Assassin's Creed didn't get some play.  After getting over the initial hump of Modern Warfare  2's hype machine, the post holiday retrospective I have begun to realize that I don't enjoy MW2 all that much. Sure it is polished and well done, but I just don't find myself having fun. Mainly because of the frantic nature of the games.  

Battlefield 1943 comes out on top in my book for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it was my first experience in the BF series and it totally captured me in size of the maps. It is the size of these maps that really make for such an interesting new game dynamic. When the maps are as large as they are in that game the pacing of the entire game slows down a lot.  People aren't grenade and rocket spamming nearly as much as in other FPS's I have played this year and the maps themselves have almost no choke points on them that snipers can pin down.  

It is perhaps the one FPS game that I have played where I really don't get frustrated during the game. If there ever was a casual FPS BF1943 maybe it since all levels of players can easily get into it, have a good time and enjoy themselves. 

Avatar image for rageagainstthelatrine
    RageAgainstTheLatrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I had a great time with this game as well. It is easily top five favorite of mine in '09.

Me and my friends used to LAN the original via PC together. Five computers in one very tiny room. It was frequent to so many near fist fights from RTS games, and who picked up the good loot first in Diablo 2.

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Hannibal

It's in my top 10. I probably sunk a good 100 hours into it just cruising around while listening to Megadeth last summer.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Daryl

Yup, I had a lot of fun with this as well. I believe it was in Drew's top 10 as well. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.