2 New Maps revealed, the remaining 4 tomorrow!

#1 Edited by Bollard (5447 posts) -

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/10/13/battleblog-13-from-the-streets-of-paris-to-the-outskirts-of-tehran-battlefield-3-multiplayer-map-reveal.aspx

So we've obviously already seen Metro and a little of Operation Firestorm, however two new maps got shown today in the above blog:

TEHRAN HIGHWAY
WORKING TITLE> HIGHWAY
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP003
SUPPORTED GAME MODES> ALL
BRIEF> INFANTRY FIGHTING IN TIGHT CITY STREETS
FICTION> A FIGHT FOR CONTROL OF ACCESS ROUTES NEAR TEHRAN. U.S. FORCES MAKE A PUSH FROM THE HILLS UNDER COVER OF DARKNESS WHILE RUSSIANS HAVE SET UP DEFENSIVE POSITIONS ALONG THE MAIN ENTRANCE POINTS.
NIKLAS ÅSTRAND’S DESIGN THOUGHTS: One of the inspirations for this map was a photo of a night time skyline of Tehran which now is basically the same vista that is available in the game. You start up on the hills above the city outskirts and eventually work your way into town. This atmospheric night-time map, where you can see rockets lighting up the sky, has a balanced mix between vehicle and infantry focus. It plays length-wise and starts semi-open with plenty of room for vehicles, but ends on a much more urban and tight note with less focus on vehicles and more on infantry.
DAMAVAND PEAK
WORKING TITLE> BASEJUMP
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP013
SUPPORTED GAME MODES> ALL
BRIEF> FIGHTING IN WINTER MOUNTAINS
FICTION> A RUGGED MOUNTAIN AREA PLAYS A MAJOR ROLE IN DECIDING WHETHER RUSSIAN OR U.S. TROOPS ARE SUCCESSFUL IN COMBAT OPERATIONS IN THE SECTOR, AS THE AREA IS HOME TO KEY RADAR INSTALLATIONS.
NIKLAS ÅSTRAND’S DESIGN THOUGHTS: Damavand Peak, internally known as Base Jump, is built on the idea that we want players to be able to base jump, and features our most extreme height differences ever in a Battlefield map. Attackers in Rush and Squad Rush will start high up on a mountain ridge above a mining facility. The only way down into the valley is to somehow make the 500 meter descent. The further the attackers progress in the map, the more vehicle warfare will be present. There is also a large tunnel section dug into the mountain side at the bottom of the map, and the view when you look up at the starting location is spectacular.

Good news is there's a couple of nice images and even a more in depth description of each map. However neither of the two new maps seem to have much if any vehicle combat. Hopefully tomorrow's four will be better (I'm saying four because while the article says five, obviously one will be Caspian).

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Gameplay impact aside, these screenshots look AMAZING.

#3 Posted by fattonyxxl (79 posts) -

"The only way down into the valley is to somehow make the 500 meter descent."

I call parachutes

#4 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -
@fattonyxxl: This is Battlefield, son. We ride Pterodactyls!
#5 Edited by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@fattonyxxl said:

"The only way down into the valley is to somehow make the 500 meter descent."

I call parachutes

I'd say helo,but most pilots would crash 200 meters in.

#6 Posted by durog (219 posts) -
@fattonyxxl: I call fell-beasts
#7 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

So can we have suicide bombers in the game?

#8 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@durog said:

@fattonyxxl: I call fell-beasts

Yes, YES, YES.

#9 Posted by Mageknight (122 posts) -

Wow, these maps look pretty great. I was hoping there would be a cool night-time map and there it is! That valley map looks great too - reminds me a lot of BC2, actually.

#10 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

Well I guess I have to finally buy using origin, steam will get it later....hype me a river DICE...

#11 Posted by Franstone (1112 posts) -

If your Battlefield boner lasts more than 4 hours please contact your physician...

; )

#12 Posted by Evilsbane (4595 posts) -

AHHHH My EYES ITS SO BEAUTIFUL!

#13 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

Easy there Achmed.

#14 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@tekmojo said:

@scarace360 said:

Easy there Achmed.

But my blood tells me to do it!

#15 Posted by fattonyxxl (79 posts) -

Just realised how much of an un-risky statement that was. Does that make me an analyst?

#16 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
#17 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@tekmojo said:

@scarace360 said:

Easy there Achmed.

I am your god, I'm telling you to not do it!

#18 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@scarace360 said:

@tekmojo said:

@scarace360 said:

Easy there Achmed.

Eat a dick god!

#19 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I want to drive a fucking jeep off that cliff while listening to Deep Purple.

#20 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

It's going to look pretty rad seeing a bunch of dudes jump off that mountain at the beginning of a round.

#21 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@scarace360 said:

@tekmojo said:

@scarace360 said:

Easy there Achmed.

Eat a dick god!

What if I gave you a 5 dollar footlong to prevent you from doing it?

#22 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@scarace360 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@scarace360 said:

@tekmojo said:

@scarace360 said:

Easy there Achmed.

Eat a dick god!

What if I gave you a 5 dollar footlong to prevent you from doing it?

ok im in!

#23 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I need to insert myself in Battlefield 3 so hard, I'm already ripping at the seams.

Hoping for 'Wing Suit' support. Operation Basejump is the most awesome shit ever.

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@tekmojo said:

@scarace360 said:

Easy there Achmed.

Hey man, I am a muslim named Ahmad, I'm entitled to suicide bomb all I want! It's a muslim right to suicide bomb others, we all do it, all the time!

By the way, where did you get that extra C in the spelling?
#25 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: lol I was referring to the comedian with Achmed the dead terrorist.

#26 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Looks awesome. Too bad I can't play it until December. :(

#27 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

It's going to look pretty rad seeing a bunch of dudes jump off that mountain at the beginning of a round.

That was my first thought, and my second thought was that all the Russian Snipers and Engineers are going to be picking off the base jumpers with bullets and rockets.

#28 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

RAD!

@Arker101 said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

That was my first thought, and my second thought was that all the Russian Snipers and Engineers are going to be picking off the base jumpers with bullets and rockets.

Deploying your chute just before you hit the ground ought make that bearable.

#29 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1568 posts) -

@Arker101 said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

It'll be like Normandy but from the skyyyyy!

#30 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

I love how after basejumping became a craze in BF2 DICE has actually adopted it into level design.

#31 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -

From those screenshots it looks more like an evening map than nighttime.

In BF2:SF you actually needed to use NV goggles for some of the maps.

#32 Posted by Bollard (5447 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@tekmojo said:

@scarace360 said:

Easy there Achmed.

Hey man, I am a muslim named Ahmad, I'm entitled to suicide bomb all I want! It's a muslim right to suicide bomb others, we all do it, all the time! By the way, where did you get that extra C in the spelling?
#33 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

can anyone confirm if there are night versions for all maps?

also base jump looks awesome :).

#34 Posted by Ping5000 (385 posts) -

It would rock if that helipad in Damavand Peak was a control point in CQ. Transporting dudes up there to cap the point sounds like fun.

#35 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

They look cool, Tehran reminds me of Bog in CoD4.

#36 Posted by Zohar (116 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Through the scope of my sniper rifle! >;D

#37 Posted by Bollard (5447 posts) -

@spartanlolz92: From the looks of it it would seem Tehran is a night only map, and that would mean the rest are all fixed day times. I know its been confirmed that time will be fixed on each map during gameplay, but I guess they might make night versions of the other maps available eventually.

#38 Posted by mr_ace (54 posts) -

that base jump level is such a cool idea

#39 Posted by yorro (558 posts) -

Wheres my winter map? Its almost December, I want to see some snow on my Battlefield! dammit

#40 Edited by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -
#41 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
#42 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.