Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Above and Beyond the Call - The Battlefield 3 TV Advert

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Love the jab at Call of Duty. Some crazy awesome shots in there. In other news - Jay-Z apparently has the bitch problem figured out. Rejoice.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By thehexeditor

This is clever marketing. The ad is targeted at teenagers who most likely have girl problems and is glorifying the soldier lifestyle where women are the least of your concerns. (joking, please don't call me out, servicemen/women.)

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Yep still looks amazing, cant wait. 
    I have to say tho I'm slightly irritated at DICE / EA the way they all of a sudden started making cheap digs at call of duty. I preferred it when they took the higher road and let the game speak for itself. I know they took shots at other games like COD and MGS with the Bad Company games but that felt like a joke, some things being said over BF3 feels cheap.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

That is a really bad attempt at copying a Call of Duty trailer. They couldn't find a better song? The launch trailer for MW2 was very similar but got me way more hyped for that game and was more fitting for the overtop action that Call of Duty's singleplayer has.

It's just another example of EA trying to grab COD's audience rather than build its own. I appreciate that they didn't focus on the singleplayer though, they got a good amount of multiplayer footage in there which is what counts in a Battlefield game.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thehexeditor

@Mikemcn: Is it just me or did Modern Warfare 2 have some baller trailers, looking back. It's a goddamn shame the game was so tainted by its multiplayer problems and audience because the single player was an amazing thrill ride. What I've seen of MW3's locales is missing the pizzazz that this game had.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikemcn

@thehexeditor said:

@Mikemcn: Is it just me or did Modern Warfare 2 have some baller trailers, looking back. It's a goddamn shame the game was so tainted by its multiplayer problems and audience because the single player was an amazing thrill ride. What I've seen of MW3's locales is missing the pizzazz that this game had.

That launch trailer I posted was the most exciting promo for a game i'd ever seen, MW3 hasn't had anything similar yet and I doubt it will. BF3 had that Caspian Sea gameplay video which was really good, but that was because it showed off the best parts of a Battlefield game, huge battles and lots of multiplayer action. You can't market BF3 like Modern Warfare, they're completely different games with mostly different audiences.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DystopiaX

@thehexeditor: It did have awesome trailers, although my appreciation for them may have been tainted by my own extreme hype for the game back then...I was already excited pre-trailer so it was hard to tell the effects of it. I actually really liked the BF3 trailer, 99 problems seems like a weird choice of song for it but the gameplay and stuff all looked really cool, especially given that it was all in game footage and still looked awesome as shit.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @thehexeditor said:

@Mikemcn: Is it just me or did Modern Warfare 2 have some baller trailers, looking back. It's a goddamn shame the game was so tainted by its multiplayer problems and audience because the single player was an amazing thrill ride.

Damn man.. you're right. I remember being super excited for the game, and that trailer is still fucking awesome, but i just hate the game now because of it's bad multiplayer and shitty audience.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thehexeditor

@DystopiaX: I actually enjoyed the trailer too. If EA wants to really please me for the launch trailer, they would have to craft a brilliant modern rendition of the Wake Island theme, one that is not a corny rock version or too symphonic/classic and set to moody, action packed footage that shows off the entire package.

Enough with the scrambled electronic stinger, give us a goddamn piece of music!

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Trailer looked cool, but the whole "yo this game is better than Call of Duty" thing is getting old. Step it up EA marketing team.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Watched it 10 times today, I am so very hyped.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe the song choice is because they are calling Call of Duty a bitch. "I've got 99 problems, but Call of Duty (a bitch) ain't one"

Trailer was good and I enjoy me some Jay-Z. Just put in my order to newegg for a GTX 570 and 8 gigs of RAM today. Yay.

Drazat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Drazat

Getting tired of all this smack talk from EA.Just let the game do the talking as this is not doing you any favours.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RE_Player1

I get a good laugh out of the smack talk EA is throwing around. Got the game pre-ordered and I'm excited to finally play it although this isn't my most anticipated game this year.

Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Freezer_Burn

I haven't been a fan of EA directly competing against Call of Duty with Battlefield, but the idea of this trailer, and it's title made me smile.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DougQuaid

Is this a trailer or a TV commercial? I don't believe you can actually say bitch whenever you want on television in the US, even more so for just a commercial..

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By rockinkemosabe

Call of Duty gets Eminem. Battlefield gets Jay-Z.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thehexeditor

@RockinKemosabe said:

Medal of Honor got Linkin Park.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By TheHBK

Taking jabs at your competition? Just means you're scared. They are very cautious right now because of the piece of crap that Medal of Honor became. I hope BF3 lives up to the legacy of BF2, but so far, it seems like they are still in that Bad company mentality, make fun of the big dog. It has me worried about BF3 if thats the thinking they are going with.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

@Twisted_Scot said:

Yep still looks amazing, cant wait. I have to say tho I'm slightly irritated at DICE / EA the way they all of a sudden started making cheap digs at call of duty. I preferred it when they took the higher road and let the game speak for itself. I know they took shots at other games like COD and MGS with the Bad Company games but that felt like a joke, some things being said over BF3 feels cheap.

By "all of a sudden" you mean months, right? Because Activision/IW have been the one's taking the high road, ignoring EA/DICE repeated insults/insinuations and smears for a long time. This "Above and beyond the Call" is just more fuel to the idiotic fanboy war EA/DICE fomented.

Only EA can make Activision look good.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By George_Hukas

@thehexeditor said:

@RockinKemosabe said:

I'm calling it.

MW3 Gucci Gucci trailer..

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rockinkemosabe

@George_Hukas: Your avatar terrifies me.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By realph

Anyone seen this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 137

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@Twisted_Scot said:

Yep still looks amazing, cant wait. I have to say tho I'm slightly irritated at DICE / EA the way they all of a sudden started making cheap digs at call of duty. I preferred it when they took the higher road and let the game speak for itself. I know they took shots at other games like COD and MGS with the Bad Company games but that felt like a joke, some things being said over BF3 feels cheap.

By "all of a sudden" you mean months, right? Because Activision/IW have been the one's taking the high road, ignoring EA/DICE repeated insults/insinuations and smears for a long time. This "Above and beyond the Call" is just more fuel to the idiotic fanboy war EA/DICE fomented.

I didn't notice the jab at MW2 until millions of FANBOIS took it to that level, I just figured it was a cool market slogan and really call of duty is the last thing on my mind while watching battlefield 3 trailers.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@DougQuaid said:

Is this a trailer or a TV commercial? I don't believe you can actually say bitch whenever you want on television in the US, even more so for just a commercial..

Yeah you can. Theres also at least one show on network TV that uses asshole.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DystopiaX

@137 said:

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@Twisted_Scot said:

I didn't notice the jab at MW2 until millions of FANBOIS took it to that level, I just figured it was a cool market slogan and really call of duty is the last thing on my mind while watching battlefield 3 trailers.

Are we really going to judge games based on marketing campaigns? EA is "smearing" so to speak because they're the underdogs in this fight and know it. Activision doesn't have to do shit because CoD is CoD. Either way the perceived slights have nothing to do with the quality of the game, so give it a rest.

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nickb64

I feel like they could have found a classier sounding song. Granted the language is not inappropriate because the game is meant for 17+ age group. This could be partly just a reflection on my dislike for that genre of music in general. I can see that it can be symbolic of their feeling that CoD is not one of their problems, but I still feel like there could probably have been better music, the tune fit pretty well with the footage though.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thehexeditor

@nickb64 said:

I feel like they could have found a classier sounding song. Granted the language is not inappropriate because the game is meant for 17+ age group. This could be partly just a reflection on my dislike for that genre of music in general. I can see that it can be symbolic of their feeling that CoD is not one of their problems, but I still feel like there could probably have been better music, the tune fit pretty well with the footage though.

would you have preferred this (excuse the mortal kombat image):

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

@DystopiaX said:

@137 said:

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@Twisted_Scot said:

Are we really going to judge games based on marketing campaigns? EA is "smearing" so to speak because they're the underdogs in this fight and know it. Activision doesn't have to do shit because CoD is CoD. Either way the perceived slights have nothing to do with the quality of the game, so give it a rest.

No, we're judging Publishers/Developers for what they say.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DonPixel

@thehexeditor said:

. The ad is targeted at teenagers who most likely have girl problems and is glorifying the soldier lifestyle where women are the least of your concerns. (joking, please don't call me out, servicemen/women.)

haha yeah.. "soldier lifestyle", Hey private you are going be jerking yourself in utter bore the next couple of years in Azahura whatever post in Afganistafrica.

hee yeah no thanks.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DonPixel

also

COD MW3 = Kaney West

Battlefield 3 = Jay Z

Wondering if we are having a Call of Battlefield Modern Combat in Duty 4 next year for the MTV awards.

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nickb64

@thehexeditor: that was actually alright, from what I listened to of it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Branthog

@thehexeditor said:

This is clever marketing. The ad is targeted at teenagers who most likely have girl problems and is glorifying the soldier lifestyle where women are the least of your concerns. (joking, please don't call me out, servicemen/women.)

No, I'm pretty sure when you're dealing with live fire and IEDs, women are the least of your problems.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Branthog

I think the music from Black Ops is the best of all of them. Granted, it's a little cliche, but it really fits and adds to the experience during play. The Eminem song during the credits is a little less interesting, but still decent.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@DystopiaX said:

@137 said:

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@Twisted_Scot said:

No, we're judging Publishers/Developers for what they say.

Yeah I meant since the whole BF3 / MW3 marketing campaign started. I don't think it reflects on how I view the game (hence the "Still looks amazing" comment in the initial post)  but I just don't like the companies getting into petty bitching fan-boy fights at every opportunity, there's enough of that on the internet already. I get that you want to sell more copies of your product and that they are seen as the major competition with each other this year but don't start putting back handed childish smears like this in trailers and  press releases, show me your game and tell me about the cool stuff in it and  leave that BS to the politicians.
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By amomjc

@Mikemcn said:

That is a really bad attempt at copying a Call of Duty trailer. They couldn't find a better song? The launch trailer for MW2 was very similar but got me way more hyped for that game and was more fitting for the overtop action that Call of Duty's singleplayer has.

It's just another example of EA trying to grab COD's audience rather than build its own. I appreciate that they didn't focus on the singleplayer though, they got a good amount of multiplayer footage in there which is what counts in a Battlefield game.

That trailer sold me on MW2 back when I was thinking about passing. This BF3 one, even though I am purchasing BF3, did absolutely nothing for me. Stupid song and terrible video.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Jimbo

Stop with that childish shit, nigga I'm grown

Please leave it alone - don't throw rocks at the throne

Do not bark up that tree, that tree will fall on you

I don't know why your advisors ain't forewarn you

'Please, not K, he's not for play!'

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Tennmuerti

As someone who is going to buy and play both  BF3 and MW3 I love the smack talk.
    Healthy rivalry is not only good for competition but is also pretty entertaining to watch from the outside.

@realph: LMAO

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HandsomeDead

Video games; fucking hell.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mikemcn

@csoup said:

@Mikemcn said:

That trailer sold me on MW2 back when I was thinking about passing. This BF3 one, even though I am purchasing BF3, did absolutely nothing for me. Stupid song and terrible video.

Yea, its not going to make me reconsider my BF3 preorder, but as someone who thinks Battlefield has a ton of cool things going for it, I'm pretty sure I could sell this game better than EA has so far.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#41  Edited By citizenkane

That trailer was kinda lame, to be honest. Just an obvious rip off of Modern Warfare 2's "Collapse" trailer.

Note to all marketing departments: putting a rap song in your trailer doesn't automatically make it awesome. It just happened to work for MW2.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By benpicko
    @thehexeditor

@RockinKemosabe said:

So the quality of the artists determine the quality of the game?
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blueduck

The trailer is awesome however the music selection is not. Don't get me wrong I love that song but it doesn't fit the trailer very well and on top of that it just comes off as EA trying to copy MW2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.