Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

After the Beta Are You Still Buying It?

• 94 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Yes I been waiting for this game forever Beta experience wasn't anything special but I only played Metro rush,now that 64 conquest is back I'll never play rush again.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By mosdl

@JEC03 said:

Yes I been waiting for this game forever Beta experience wasn't anything special but I only played Metro rush,now that 64 conquest is back I'll never play rush again.

conquest is back?

cornwalliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By cornwalliz

they can have my money

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Samaritan

Why wouldn't I? Beta did nothing but further sell me on this being a true sequel to Battlefield 2. It's a month-old build of a beta, so of course it's going to be buggy, even still though, my time with the game has been a blast, even if I have been shot by men in trees on multiple occasions.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By blueduck

This thread would be a better source of info if it was made right before the actual game came out.

mrneutron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By mrneutron

Nope. I'll probably end up getting it eventually, but not on launch day. There are too many issues and sticking points, mainly relating to truly baffling UI choices which make ordinary tasks like finding a game or getting into a squad with your friends actively difficult, if not downright impossible (I'm talking about the PC version here, I understand it's perfectly straightforward on console). While I understand at least some of the motivation of shifting the game's entire frontend into a web browser, I've found the negatives far outweigh the positives.

More to the point... I'm just not sure this is the kind of game I want to play anymore. I played the everloving crap out of BF2 and 2142, and played a great deal of BC2, but for every thrilling moment I had in the BF3 beta, I had multiple moments of being repeatedly killed in ways that were impossible for me to see coming or didn't appear to make any sense. It's definitely Battlefield, because it has everything I love and hate about Battlefield, but I feel like the "love" part might be fading as time goes on.

Or maybe it's just because I've been very distracted and moody this last week or so. :-/ I dunno. Maybe I'm being needlessly harsh. If they open up the Caspian map for full access it might be enough to turn me around. But as of now, I just can't make myself feel excited enough to buy it straight away.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By rollingzeppelin

No, the beta made me realise how much I am done with modern warfare shooters. I doubt I will ever buy another of this genre, it's time to move on designers.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By yakov456

I'm there day one. Not that familiar with the BF series but from what I have played/seen it's looks to be alot of fun, especially once I can get a hold of some vehicles.

Divisionbypr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Divisionbypr0

Granted I haven't played the beta for more than about 30 minutes across a couple different sittings, I am now mixed on purchasing the game. The beta is, just that, a beta. But for a game that comes out in roughly 20 days it still feels really wonky in places. I wasn't as graphically impressed as I thought I would be either. I think the game was made to be played on the PC and I certainly wish I had one capable of running it. I love the whole concept of Battlefield, but I'm not sure that it'll be a day one purchase for me now.

Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Frederik

Mos Def! So far I'm not as crazy about it as I was with BC2 but then again, I'll get fly a f'ing jet when it comes out WEEEEEEE!

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#61  Edited By BawlZINmotion

DICE is one of those developers that actually labels phases properly. A beta is really a beta. None of this, "make you feel special" demo shit. The Bad Company 2 beta was full of problems, least of shit was the way mouse control felt. All the issue I had were resolved before the game hit shelves and server lag issues were ironed out a couple weeks later. I have faith in DICE and the BF3 beta has not changed my mind one bit.

I'm all in baby.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By DystopiaX

No, and I was going to before.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By CannonGoose

The beta is fun and all, but it made me realise that none of my friends have a computer that can run the game.

No friends = no fun = no game.

n0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By n0ne

Why Cancel Pre-Order? ლ(ಥ益ಥლ

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By artelinarose

Definitely not. Was interested in the game, after playing the beta I'm glad I did because it was basically zero fun. Spawning and getting shot within seconds in my own spawn? Cool. Every killcam being some dork sniper in lying prone in a bush? Yeah, sure, alright. Whatever.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By bwmcmaste

@Chainblast: A true voice of reason; one that I can agree with entirely.

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By DarkChris

Before the beta, I was totally hyped. Excellent graphics, realistic battles, big scale etc. After the beta, I realized I was more a COD-type gamer than a BF-type gamer. I mean that I prefer the online of COD and not the online of BF3.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By Wraxend

@DarkChris: This is a better arguement for not being impressed by the Beta, instead of saying its buggy or the graphics aren't great.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By hexogen

@DarkChris said:

Before the beta, I was totally hyped. Excellent graphics, realistic battles, big scale etc. After the beta, I realized I was more a COD-type gamer than a BF-type gamer. I mean that I prefer the online of COD and not the online of BF3.

I'm in the same boat. I had BF3 pre-ordered, but playing the beta made me realize I prefer CoD, so I switched my pre-order to the hardened edition of MW3 (for all the DLC). I did like the beta quite a bit, but considering how much time I put into previous CoD games and the fact that the friends I play with the most are getting CoD, I thought I'd get a lot more mileage out of MW3.

That being said, I plan on getting BF3 a few months down the line. But come November I'm going to be too wrapped up in MW3 and Assassin's Creed: Revelations multiplayer to make time for BF3.

TheLastOtaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TheLastOtaku

I wasn't planning on buying it until next year but now I'm going to get it on day 1.

matthimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By matthimself

Yes. My first thought was "What is this?" But after some rounds of playing I'm getting this "must have" feeling. Playing both on Ps3 and Pc, will get it on Ps3

LetsRockBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By LetsRockBaby

I will, but not at launch.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#73  Edited By Seppli

For whoever judges BF3 by the Beta... Operation Métro Rush is ONE flavor of what likely is going to be a symphony of flavors.

I've got two BF:BC 2 accounts, one on PS3 and one on PC. I had to get the PC version during the PSN outage to get my MP fix. Anyways, I'm Rank 49 (of 50) on my PC account with about 250 hours of playtime. 200 hours of that I've played the Vietnam expansion on a server running a 4 (out of 5) map rotation Conquest mode. Of those 200 hours, I've spent like 70 hours in a Vietnam Huey. Of all of BF:BC 2, flying the Vietnam Huey on Operation Hastings and Phu Bai Valley Conquest have been my favorite bits. I could play that particular flavor of Battlefield FOREVER.

What I'm trying to say here is, judging BF3 by Operation Métro is like going into a candy store, pick one random candy and then basing one's opinion/review/purchase upon how one likes or dislikes that particular candy. Just wait for the whole candy store to open up for business. I mean we know about Caspian Border Conquest 64 - at least for PC. That flavor is Battlefield 3 aswell. As is the campaign and the co-op and team deathmatch and infantry only and hardcore mode. We know about the Back to Karkand DLC. There's going to be an assload of flavor. How many maps and modes don't you play in other games? Correct, you stick to what you dig and rarely (if ever) play maps and modes you loathe.

Just don't play Operation Métro Rush if you dislike it. Simple. Play Battlefield 3 though. There's definitely a flavor in there for everyone, I suppose. I'm sure gonna play Conquest 64 on vehicle centric maps A LOT...

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#74  Edited By Liquidus

No. And it isn't because the glitches and other things you'd expect in a beta, it's because of how fast you die in that game. It's a total deal breaker for me. If I wanted to play a game with insta kill weapons, I'd play CoD.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Seppli

@Liquidus said:

No. And it isn't because the glitches and other things you'd expect in a beta, it's because of how fast you die in that game. It's a total deal breaker for me. If I wanted to play a game with insta kill weapons, I'd play CoD.

It ain't THAT much of a lower TTK. It's mostly related to a known and supposedly already-fixed-for-retail bug increasing damange dealt to moving targets and a handful of weapons that are too powerful. Namely the two starter DRMs MK11 and SVD. Other than that, it's somewhere between core and hardcore settings in BF:BC 2 and as a result, BF3 will likely be the first Battlefield game in which every weapon type will be a viable and competitive choice, while still retaining a unique feel and function.

Hell - they got pump action shotguns right. That's like impossible to achieve.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Seppli

@Liquidus:

The last two session I ran as offensive recon using the M40A5, a bolt action sniper rifle. I'm merely an average-to-above-average shot and get a lot more body shots than headshots on dudes actively engaging me. The TTK is high enough to allow for pistol whipping or landing two shots under duress. Depending on weapon type the damage and accuracy drop-off at range is substantial. If you aren't forced to run Rush on CQC-heavy infantry map, TTK might be even higher than in core BF:BC 2.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Liquidus

@Seppli said:

@Liquidus said:

It ain't THAT much of a lower TTK. It's mostly related to a known and supposedly already-fixed-for-retail bug increasing damange dealt to moving targets and a handful of weapons that are too powerful. Namely the two starter DRMs MK11 and SVD. Other than that, it's somewhere between core and hardcore settings in BF:BC 2 and as a result, BF3 will likely be the first Battlefield game in which every weapon type will be a viable and competitive choice, while still retaining a unique feel and function.

Hey - they got pump action shotguns right. That's like impossible to achieve.

Haha, that right there is only thing I actually really enjoyed about the beta. I am a sucker for shotguns in any shooter and the 870MCS just devastates in BF3. But anyways, how fast you die in the game still bothers me because it's an objective-based game and I just don't see why guns need to be so lethal. The focus is not killing people, the focus is capturing flags and blowing up MCOM stations. Sure, killing people is a big part of the game but it's not THE part of it, or at least it shouldn't be. I even felt like you died a little too fast in BC2 but it was manageable for me and I had a lot of fun with that game(except when those server issues popped up every now and again). But I feel BF3 is going too far with it. I think in general the game may be comprising fun for realism, like the whole animation stuff, while cool can result in unnecessary deaths that are just annoying. I'm sure I'll end up buying it down the line when all the kinks are ironed out but it most certainly isn't a day one purchase.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Liquidus

@Seppli said:

@Liquidus:

The last two session I ran as offensive recon using the M40A5, a bolt action sniper rifle. I'm merely an average-to-above-average shot and get a lot more body shots than headshots on dudes actively engaging me. The TTK is high enough to allow for pistol whipping or landing two shots under duress. Depending on weapon type the damage and accuracy drop-off at range is substantial. If you aren't forced to run Rush on CQC-heavy infantry map, TTK might be even higher than in core BF:BC 2.

Yeah, that might solve my problem with it as I hate Rush and love Conquest and the larger maps but I ain't willing to put down my $60 on it just yet. I'll wait to see what some friends say about it.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Franstone

Absolutely, I have no issues with the state of the PC beta.

Just glad I got to help test it out, excited as ever.

Besides, the BF3 Beta is currently a better working game than the $60 I paid for Rage which I can't even play.

It's Battlefield

It's a Beta

It will be fine.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Seppli

@Liquidus said:

@Seppli said:

@Liquidus:

Yeah, that might solve my problem with it as I hate Rush and love Conquest and the larger maps but I ain't willing to put down my $60 on it just yet. I'll wait to see what some friends say about it.

I was very concerned at first too. Then I noticed how what I hate about BF:BC 2 the most just isn't an issue anymore. Quite often, in core BF:BC 2 Rush, teams stonewall and there's no way getting the job done. Players just don't die quickly enough and respawn too soon or there's a medic train buzzing everyone back to life immediately.

That's just no longer the case. People die. And even if 10 dudes stuff themselves into an M-COM room, it's possible to wipe them out.

So despite myself, I found the low TTK to improve the gameplay experience for me. Everything's just way more dynamic. Players get killed and then there's an opening and opportunity to exploit. I like opportunities. I am happiest on the Battlefield when I'm penetrating enemy lines and inserting pain with dominance into faces and rear ends. Packing more pain, doing so is all the more satisfying.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Liquidus said:

@Seppli said:

@Liquidus said:

Hey - they got pump action shotguns right. That's like impossible to achieve.

Haha, that right there is only thing I actually really enjoyed about the beta. I am a sucker for shotguns in any shooter and the 870MCS just devastates in BF3. But anyways, how fast you die in the game still bothers me because it's an objective-based game and I just don't see why guns need to be so lethal. The focus is not killing people, the focus is capturing flags and blowing up MCOM stations. Sure, killing people is a big part of the game but it's not THE part of it, or at least it shouldn't be. I even felt like you died a little too fast in BC2 but it was manageable for me and I had a lot of fun with that game(except when those server issues popped up every now and again). But I feel BF3 is going too far with it. I think in general the game may be comprising fun for realism, like the whole animation stuff, while cool can result in unnecessary deaths that are just annoying. I'm sure I'll end up buying it down the line when all the kinks are ironed out but it most certainly isn't a day one purchase.

The way I see it, making the player so vulnerable is a way to encourage them to stick together and go for the objetcive as a group, since a single guy trying to arm an M-COM/cap a point isn't going to last very long (unless the other team is terrible). Then again, I don't really feel like you're that vulnerable in the first place. Just drop behind cover, take a few potshots to blur their vision and use that time to line up for a kill.

Agreed on the shotguns, though. the 870 is fucking awesome.
    Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Liquidus

@Seppli: For me, the low TTK just leads to frustrating deaths because anyone can kill you with no sweat. It just blurs the line between good players and bad players even more. So yeah, I'm basically complaining about them making it too "casual" so to speak but it really gets on my nerves. Plus with how long the health regen takes to kick in, it slows the game down quite a bit unless there's an Assault always beside you, who's actually in your squad or knows what the hell he's doing or you're playing Assault. You could definitely argue this as a means to encourage teamwork but for me, I just see it as limiting your options. For me, teamwork isn't about being huddled up in a group, it's about coordinating attacks and proper communication. Suffice to say, how fast you die in the game is a deal breaker for me personally.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I wouldn't necessarily say my mind was changed, cause I wasn't really set on buying it in the first place. But, the browser thing seems really bad, and I don't trust EA with origin. The game itself didn't blow me away either. The weapons seemed a little imbalanced. I could easily go 39-9 one round with one set up and negative the next with something else. There was no risk reward with going assault vs recon. I could put a reflex scope on a sniper and be just as effective up close as far away (especially when targets are marked). I'll only buy this game if it comes to steam, but even then probably not.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By chilibean_3

Okay. Last night I turned the corner on this game and I'm back to looking forward to it. Can't say why exactly but I had plenty of moments that reminded me why I love objective based games and enjoyed the old Battlefields. I'm still bummed they didn't keep the command structure of the past and I sure hope they clean it up a lot though.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Beaudacious

To me it seems most people complaining about dmg are people who want to close their eyes hold down the mouse button and expect a 24/2 kd.

• Hey guess what if you run into an open area blindly, knowing well that the enemy is close you're gonna die...
    • If you spawn on a squad behind enemy lines you might die on spawn...
    • If you don't clear rooms properly you're gonna die..
    • If you don't use cover, and restraint (knowing when to fire) you'll expose yourself and die..
    • Also teamwork, it pays to have medic, and support. Take turns covering each other on reloads, on heals, clear rooms together.
    • Even with the current TTK you can't rambo this game, you need to work as a team (assuming competence of the opponents).

I've played CS for years and i can honestly tell you even with the current TTK there's a lot of handicap in place for players. HS are quite forgiving, sometimes they leave you with 5% hp needing a second hit. You can take 5 body shots from a heavy lmg and survive. You can take 2-3 sniper hits and survive. You can take almost an entire pistol clip, or 8 smg bullets. But don't be angry when someone loads 3 well planted shots in your chest, or in the face.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#86  Edited By RobbieMac

We will see. I am enjoying the game though, despite the glitches and what not. Side note found this video that pretty much sums up the BF3 Beta experience.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#87  Edited By awe_stuck

lots of people suck at battlefield 3 - jarheads. im sick of the donuts who complain that they have a playable beta, why didnt you play the WaW beta, oh thats right you dont know how to register your email address cus your mentally deficient.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#88  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Probably day one.

Casey25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Casey25

Yes, but not on consoles. I played the consoel one to see how the squad dynamics felt, and if i liked the support class.

Watching the PC beta (caspian border gameplay) reassured me that it will be a good looking game and that there is still plenty of large scale action w/vehicles and such.

Now i am frantically getting parts together for a decent pc that will run it okay.

My biggest takeaway from the beta is that the pc version looks and plays a lot better than the console version, as expected.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#90  Edited By nukesniper

I just about had the itch for an online FPS, and the Battlefield 3 Beta has cured that itch for the time being. I haven't really played a CoD or Battlefield game since MW2 or Bad Company 2. I think I'm just going to be passing for a while. I'll get it eventually though, I'm sure.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Capum15

I have some gripes, but I'll still get it. Mostly for the Singleplayer, but I do like the Multiplayer so far, sans all the weird glitches.

I really wonder how Conquest will fare with the faster deaths...then again, recon can fix any long travel times easily.

Avatar image for deactivated-62001d97f34e0
    deactivated-62001d97f34e0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still cant wait for this game, yeah not as much as i was before the beta, but i still think it will spectacular.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#93  Edited By Bouke

@Video_Game_King said:

@N7 said:

I was never buying it.

Same here, since I've never touched a Battlefield game.

And yet you call yourself the Video Game King! Weird! :P

Anyway; i'm totally buying BF3 on release. If you loved Bad Company, you loved the map in the Beta (i think). And with the multiplayer having huge maps like Caspian Border i can't wait for that old Battlefield feeling! Sure the Beta has some problems, but its a Beta.... Not sure what people were expecting when they say they're turned off by the Beta. Probably people that wouldn't have bought the game anyways...

nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#94  Edited By nywt

I put down "no", and not "no" as in I'll never buy it but "no" as in what I played wasn't that impressive so I'll wait until I can get it for cheap.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.