Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

an in-depth view of BF3's new lighting engine, Enlighten from GDC

notha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By notha

pretty crazy shit, imo
    http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/03/GDC-session-summary-Battlefield-3-Radiosity     

and some more, more complicated stuff straight from DICE's GDC talk
    http://publications.dice.se/attachments/Christina_Coffin_Programming_SPU_Based_Deferred.pdf 

a little disappointing to find out the muzzle flashes won't affect the radiosity. was hoping to light up a whole house with my gun
    "Even with all these simplifications, Enlighten is not fast enough to do per-frame radiosity for a whole level. For example, if you move the sun in the editor, it can take a few seconds for all of the lighting to update. This problem also makes it impractical for instantaneous light effects in games, like muzzle flashes or explosions."

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrKlorox
    @notha:  Muzzle flashes will still surely be bright and light up dark rooms. It just won't reflect the colors from environment when doing so.

I remember seeing the video in the first link a few weeks back on youtube but there was no sound. Downloading the one in the link now in hopes of commentary.
    notha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By notha

yes, I know they'll still light up the room. i just said it's a shame they aren't included in the radiosity, to indirectly light up the next room over, or up a stairway

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.